Taboo's ear fetish...

n...@netcom.com

Nov 30, 1993, 10:31:42 PM11/30/93
I thought it was just my ears, but ever since Taboo was a kid he has
always, when in a properly loving mood, licked my ears and gently
nipped on the lobe. I always thought it was terribly cute. Well, once
I got Indy-kitten he transferred his affections to Indy's ears. Now he scrubs
little Indy's ear with his tongue until he's practically worn them down.
Is my cat wierd?

--
n...@netcom.com
Nancy from San Diego, California

Sara Larson

Dec 1, 1993, 1:36:40 PM12/1/93

A friend of mine has a Siamese, Alex, who had a problem. You see, my
friend received as a gift a Scottish Fold kitten. Very cute, very
sweet, great fur, but VERY WEIRD EARS. Alex used to spend a great deal
of time carefully licking the kitten's ears, apparently in hopes of
someday get them to unfold permanently. Of course, the ears never did
unfold. I think Alex just gave it up as a lost cause.

-Sara

Ruth Milner

Dec 1, 1993, 1:42:06 PM12/1/93
In article <npmCHC...@netcom.com> n...@netcom.com (n...@netcom.com) writes:
>I got Indy-kitten he transferred his affections to Indy's ears. Now he scrubs
>little Indy's ear with his tongue until he's practically worn them down.
>Is my cat wierd?

Nope! Abby and Boots do each other's ears - though not obessively. :-) Our
vet can never believe they're outdoor cats because their ears are so clean.
I'm not sure what he expects to find. Mites? Flea dirt? Just plain dirt?
He's looking deep down with the otoscope (or whatever it is :-) ) when he
exclaims over this.

I suspect this evolved as a social behavior since it would be virtually
impossible for a cat to thoroughly clean inside its own ears. I've noticed
when they groom each other that they seem to concentrate most on those
hard-to-reach spots: top/back of the head, ears, under the chin, etc.
--
----
Ruth Milner NRAO/VLA Socorro NM

Micki McIntyre

Dec 1, 1993, 3:23:00 PM12/1/93
It is better to give than to receive, and 'tis the season..

Can anyone in this area give two little strays a new home? They
are living in the storm drain in the parking lot at work. The
slightly bigger one (8-12 mos.) is a black torti like my little
girls, the littler one (5-6 mos.) looks like it might be part
black torti and part chocolate/cream stripe/calicoish, hard to
tell in the dark. I see an occassional striped hunter in the
field so maybe the little one is the bigger one's baby. I have
been feeding them (didn't realize it was 2 until last night.)
Condo rules allow only 2 kitties, and you know who and her sister
were here first.

Sooooooooooooo, any takers if I can catch them?
Plllleeeeasssseeeee, it is soooo cold out there.....

....meow.....mrow.........mrup........mwow.......ppppprrrrrrrrrrr
/\_/\ \
Micki McIntyre / . . \ \ mcin...@umdnj.edu
===x=== __/
Thistle: DS Br C 5 X L- W C-- I+++ T+ A+ E++ H+ S+++ V++ F Q- P++
Shamrock: DM Br C 5 X L+ W++ C-- I++ T A- E+ H+ S+ V+ F- Q++ P++
............mrup...............mwow...........mrow....mrow.......

Paul Fahn

Dec 1, 1993, 5:48:42 PM12/1/93
During my upcoming Christmas vacation, I would like to do a jigsaw
puzzle, an enjoyable activity that I haven't attempted since I got
my two kitties, Puck and Poppy. I'm afraid that they'll think the
jigsaw puzzle is meant as a toy for *them*, not me, and I'll end up
digging pieces out of their food bowls, from under the refrigerator,
etc. Has anyone out there solved this problem? Can anyone suggest a
solution? (please don't suggest covering the pieces with tabasco sauce).

Paul

Sandra F Feldman

Dec 2, 1993, 8:12:46 AM12/2/93
I have five cats, and I have successfully worked jigsaw puzzles:

First, put the dreaded spray bottle on the table in a visible location. Any
inquisitive cats get a bit of water. Keeping the bottle on the table serves as
a great deterrent. (By the way, this is how I trained my cats not to grab the
yarn when I'm knitting: I knit with a spray bottle on my lap for a few weeks.
Now that they know they aren't allowed to grab at the yarn, I can knit with a cat
in my lap.)

Only spread out the pieces you are working on. Keep the rest in the box.

Get a large piece of plywood, or a mirror, and cover the puzzle totally whenever
you're not working on it. It doesn't look pretty, but it's effective.

Keeping toys handy to distract the cats can be helpful too. I also let one of
mine sit in the top of the empty puzzle box.
Good luck.
--
Sandy Feldman
fel...@crd.ge.com

my opinions are mine and do not reflect a position of General Electric

David Thomas

Dec 1, 1993, 9:44:56 PM12/1/93
Paul Fahn (fa...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
: Has anyone out there solved this problem? Can anyone suggest a

: solution? (please don't suggest covering the pieces with tabasco sauce).

Bits and Pieces, a game and puzzle mailorder house, sells large
(12" x 36" x 1") cardboard trays with styrofoam inserts. They serve
as trays for holding and sorting pieces, and also serve as covers
to protect the puzzle when you're taking a break. Two of them
will cover an average size jigsaw puzzle.
--
David Thomas (da...@micro.ti.com or da...@wotangate.sc.ti.com) (713)-274-2347

Dave Blackburn

Dec 1, 1993, 8:22:11 PM12/1/93
In article <1993Dec1.2...@CSD-NewsHost.Stanford.EDU>
Here are your options:
Forget it, Lock the cats in the basement, or Do the puzzle in the
basement.

And now the Late Night(Copyright) with David Blackburn(TM) Top Ten
List(Not the Intellectual Property of NBC) of
Reasons Why Cats Destroy Jigsaw Puzzles:

10. Pile of little pieces might be food.

9. Even if pieces are not food, they might be edible.

8. Even if they are not edible, they might be fun to barf back up on the
carpet.

7. Puzzle takes up important perching space.

6. Puzzle is comfortable to lie on.

5. Puzzle is uncomfortable to lie on and must be shoved on the floor.

4. Pieces fall to the floor with entertaining flutter.

3. What's one piece more or less?

2. If it doesn't taste like Tabasco, it must be OK for us to play with.

And the Number One Reason Why Cats Destroy Jigsaw Puzzles:

1. Pay attention to MEEEEE!!!!!

This is a shareware joke. If you like it, smile at somebody even if they
don't deserve it.
--

* Dave Blackburn dbla...@alleg.edu Chem Dept, Allegheny College *
* Chemistry, Macs, Hypercard, cats, <>< religion, & the Dead *

Ruth Cross

Dec 2, 1993, 7:14:27 PM12/2/93

Watch out for your box of pieces while working on a puzzle. I had a
kitten once who thought it was a litter box.
--

Ruth Cross > Em rio que tem piranhas,
nor...@usht10.hou130.chevron.com > jacare nada de costas.

harm...@wl.corning.com

Dec 2, 1993, 3:18:15 PM12/2/93

If you can get those kitties to me here in Wilmington, NC, I'll be happy
to give'em shots, spay/neuter'em, and find'em a happy home. I have had
very good luck placing kitties this way this year in the area. Just placed
one that was found abandoned in a field nearby this weekend.I have two
indoor cats of my own and roomie/landlady says NO MORE. But want to help.
Have no way to get'em but contact me E-mail and we'll see if we can work
something out. If anyone out there can agree to a good home for these babies
and supplies me with sufficent proof and a vet bill, I'll pick up the cost
of first shots, worming, spay/neuter.
Sharon

Vince Kub

Dec 3, 1993, 12:19:47 PM12/3/93

I would like to make a recommendation for a jigsaw puzzle if you are up to
a challenge. My husband bought me the "World's Most Difficult Puzzle" a
while back. He got me the Cats edition ($10.00 at a games store) - you can
also get one of dogs. Anyway, the trick to this puzzle is that is it
double-sided! The backside is identical to the top side only it is rotated
at a 90 degree angle. Took me about a month to finish - only to find out
that a piece is missing. I suppose one of critters took off with it. Anway
enjoy your vacation!

Dawn

harm...@wl.corning.com

Dec 3, 1993, 4:36:56 PM12/3/93
My Christmas has kind of a 'fetish', too, I think. Every night at bedtime,
she expects me to face a certain way, make a circle with my arms in which
she 'makes bread', and then settles down in this 'nest' purring happily.
She then proceedes to try an lick every bit of skin off my face, arms, and
nibbles my eyebrows. She stays there until I am asleep. Sometime later, I
ALWAYS awake to go to the bathroom and she is curled up tightly against my
stomach outside the comforter. If I wake her, the 'nest' ritual has to be
repeated. Oh, if I don't turn the way she wants me to, she stands close to
my hand and 'makes bread' in my hair until I turn over to get some relief.
Once, I just waited to see how long she'd carry on and gave up after about
15 minutes. I think she would keep at it indefinetly. Abigail just lounges
on thefoot of the bed and doesn't really care where she sleeps. She does,
however,have a major thing for the bathtub,especially wet right after a shower.

One more little thing....Christmas LOVES stinky male feet and will lick them
with joyous abandoned until the stinky male feet are removed! My godfather has
the WORST feet in the world. My roomie's malemute tried to 'roll' in them
one time and knocked him out of his chair. Smell like a pulpwood factory!!
(sorry if I got too graphic!)

Sharon

Patricia A. Hansen

Dec 6, 1993, 7:56:37 PM12/6/93

This reminds me of the *last* time I tried to do a jigsaw puzzle with
a cat in the house. I got very clever and decided that I could put
my puzzle on the back of a sheet of plywood, so I could move it around
the house with me. When I wasn't working on it, I'd put it out of
the way on the floor in the living room, with the loose pieces in the
puzzle box.

Well. No self-respecting cat can let that go without some comment.
The cat I had at the time, a funny old Himalayan, discovered that he
could run full-tilt across the room and plant all four feet at the
edge of the board, which was very slippery. Result: cat slalom
through the puzzle, pieces flying in a very satisfactory fashion
*everywhere*. Happy cat; demolished puzzle.

Being the patient soul I was at that time, I repeatedly reassembled
that puzzle until I got the whole thing done. My old cat managed
to destroy it daily until I took it apart. He loved it.

So, no solutions from me. Just a funny memory of a neat cat, long
gone. I did try to do a puzzle a few years ago after I got my
Persian, Mollie. She just stretched up as far as she could reach
with one paw and fished around until the found a piece, and then
absconded with it. My picture sure had a lot of holes in it....

Patty

jigsaw...@21stsoftware.com

Mar 9, 2005, 9:07:35 PM3/9/05
One solution is to try computer jigsaw puzzles.
For a list of our titles go to webpage
below. All puzzles come with software and 25 or 50 puzzles.
http://21stsoftware.com/Jigsaw_Puzzles/
For an overview of our pc software go to
http://21stsoftware.com/Jigsaw_Puzzles/jigsaw_puzzle_version4.htm

To download the demo go to
http://21stsoftware.com/conformation_jigsaw.htm

While you are at it try our Cats Mah Jong - it drives the cats wild
Check out our new cat mah jong solitaire game
http://21stsoftware.com/mah_jong_solitaire/cat_mah_jong_v3.htm

Clara Reaume
http://21stSoftware.com

DL Farnworth

Mar 10, 2005, 1:32:59 PM3/10/05

| Paul Fahn wrote:
| > During my upcoming Christmas vacation, I would like
to do a jigsaw
| > puzzle, an enjoyable activity that I haven't
attempted since I got
| > my two kitties, Puck and Poppy. I'm afraid that
they'll think the
| > jigsaw puzzle is meant as a toy for *them*, not me,
and I'll end up
| > digging pieces out of their food bowls, from under
the refrigerator,
| > etc. Has anyone out there solved this problem? Can
anyone suggest a
| > solution? (please don't suggest covering the pieces
with tabasco
| sauce).
| >
| > Paul

My wife assembles jigsaw puzzles on a separate card
table. She covers the puzzle with a large piece of
cardboard. The puzzle filled boxes go on top. She
covers the whole with a heavy table cloth. The cats
sleep in the cloth covered boxes and rarely disturb the
pieces underneath the cloth and cardboard. The biggest
problem comes from leaping and jumping which move the
cardboard and the pieces underneath. Then the vacuum
goes "whump."

Mike Rhino

Mar 10, 2005, 8:41:50 PM3/10/05
"DL Farnworth" <feli...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You could try buying a piece of plexiglass at home depot. They can cut it
whatever size you want. You can then buy clamps for paper at Office Depot
to clamp the glass down. It depends on how your table is designed.