Re: [OT] An incredible journey

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Ubiquitous

unread,
Mar 31, 2017, 7:54:04 AM3/31/17
to
no_offlin...@example.com wrote:
>On 2017-03-29 11:21 PM, Michael Black wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Rhino wrote:

>>> I know some of us are old enough to remember a Disney film called The
>>> Incredible Journey, wherein a cat and two dogs traversed hundreds of
>>> miles of wilderness together. It was based on a novel which was
>>> supposedly based on a real-life incident.
>>>
>> And there was a sequel about thirty years ago. A similar name, I ended
>> up with it on VHS because I thought it wsa the original.
>>
>> This sort of story does pop up from time to time, I'm less surprised by
>> the distance than by how the pet finds their way. It's not like they
>> can follow a trail of smells, and they don't read roadsigns, let alone
>> know much about direction.
>>
>> I wonder whether my sister's dog could find his way home from the park.
>> I think so, but i"m not certain.
>>
>Since the cat had no connection to the Guelph area, I'm inclined to
>think it didn't actually seek out Guelph and simply wound up there by
>accident. Maybe it snuck onto a plane or into a truck and that's just
>where he found himself once he'd gotten out of the vehicle.
>
>As for any animal finding its way home, who knows? I remember our family
>getting a cat when I was in Grade 6. We'd never heard of anything like
>an indoor cat and knew the cat would be let out when he needed to "do
>his business". The first time we let him out, I worried that he might
>get lost out there so I followed him to help him back if he couldn't
>find his way. I think he thought I was a bit creepy for following him
>;-) After he finished, he made it back in - with me not too far behind -
>and from then on, I figured he knew his way and let him go on his own.
>He always came back, although he was sometimes gone for days. (I always
>wondered if he had another family out there.)
>
>I'm not sure how they find their ways home but I'm guessing smell is
>probably the key since smell is more important than sight for them.
>Maybe they subtly mark their trails like leaving breadcrumbs in the
>forest....

I read and saw something on a nature show about that. Cats pretty much patrol
a set area over the course of a day. As for the long distance lost cats, they
navigate by the Sun.

--
Dems & the media want Trump to be more like Obama, but then he'd
have to audit liberals & wire tap reporters' phones.




Michael Black

unread,
Mar 31, 2017, 12:50:13 PM3/31/17
to
On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Ubiquitous wrote:


>> I'm not sure how they find their ways home but I'm guessing smell is
>> probably the key since smell is more important than sight for them.
>> Maybe they subtly mark their trails like leaving breadcrumbs in the
>> forest....
>
> I read and saw something on a nature show about that. Cats pretty much patrol
> a set area over the course of a day. As for the long distance lost cats, they
> navigate by the Sun.
>
That works for general direction, but the sun doesn't give GPS accurate
coordinates, so how does the cat or dog find a specific house?

Michael

Ubiquitous

unread,
Mar 31, 2017, 1:13:43 PM3/31/17
to
I have no idea, I just remember they use the Sun's location to guide them.
Perhaps once they're in the neighborhood they wander around until they find
something familiar?

Michael Black

unread,
Mar 31, 2017, 2:56:36 PM3/31/17
to
On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Ubiquitous wrote:

> et...@ncf.ca wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>>>> I'm not sure how they find their ways home but I'm guessing smell is
>>>> probably the key since smell is more important than sight for them.
>>>> Maybe they subtly mark their trails like leaving breadcrumbs in the
>>>> forest....
>>>
>>> I read and saw something on a nature show about that. Cats pretty much
>>> patrol a set area over the course of a day. As for the long distance lost
>>> cats, they navigate by the Sun.
>>
>> That works for general direction, but the sun doesn't give GPS accurate
>> coordinates, so how does the cat or dog find a specific house?
>
> I have no idea, I just remember they use the Sun's location to guide them.
> Perhaps once they're in the neighborhood they wander around until they find
> something familiar?
>
That's possible.

I suspect they may get some information from tracking wild animals. Some
get tagged, so that might give them an idea. Some wild animals routinely
migrate big distances each year. Not just birds, but whales and I think
caribou and reindeer.

Michael

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages