SQUEAKING CAT

Heather Janine Meeker

Jun 26, 1994, 5:47:09 PM6/26/94

When I pick up my cat, One O'Clock, she squeaks. It's a high, rising tone
like a squeaky toy makes. I have never had
another cat that did this. It's not a meow; I don't think it's even a
voluntary sound. It's like the air from her body is escaping through her
mouth. It happens when I reach around her middle to support her under
the front legs.

One O'Clock doesn't particularly like being picked up. She has
never liked being handled much--I got her from the pound and she probably
wasn't socialized as a kitten. But she doesn't seem to be in pain or
angry when she does this. She doesn't seem any more or less unhappy than
when I pick her up another way. She just goes . . .

SQUEEEEEK!

It's hysterical. Has anyone else experienced this?

--
"Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky,

DEBBEE1023

Jun 26, 1994, 8:56:02 PM6/26/94
In article <2ukt0t$7...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
heat...@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Heather Janine Meeker) writes:

Yep...I have a squeaker too! Misty Moo Moo (Miss Moo to her
friends)..doesn't meow..just makes this squeeking sound..the vet said
she was fine...she also makes this pah-rump noise when she is about
to jump...but normally Miss Moo just goes around
squeaking....especially when she gets picked up against her will...it
is almost like then...she is yelling "rape"...

oh cats...they are such good people!

Debbee

Kalynnda Berens

Jun 27, 1994, 4:26:49 PM6/27/94
In article <2ul832$8...@search01.news.aol.com>, debbe...@aol.com (DEBBEE1023) says:

>Yep...I have a squeaker too! Misty Moo Moo (Miss Moo to her
>friends)..doesn't meow..just makes this squeeking sound..the vet said
>she was fine...<snip>
>Debbee

Moontigger would have been named Squeak, if we had waited a few weeks
to name him. However, his older "siblings" seem to have given himvoice lessons while we were gone for a week. He now does a squeaky
meow on occasion. We keep hoping his voice will grow into his body.

Kal, whose three kids are still getting used to the water bed.

Clifton T. Sharp

Jun 27, 1994, 2:02:13 PM6/27/94
In article <2ukt0t$7...@agate.berkeley.edu> heat...@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Heather Janine Meeker) writes:
>When I pick up my cat, One O'Clock, she squeaks. It's a high, rising tone

I don't BELIEVE what just happened.

(Radio) At the sound of the tone...
(Cliff hits 'n' key; above appears)
(Radio) ... one o'clock. <beeeeeep>

--
Optimists say, "The glass is half full."
Cliff Sharp Pessimists say, "It's half empty."

ude...@bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk

Jun 28, 1994, 6:20:07 AM6/28/94

Yet another squeaking cat. Meows- "AAAARK" (falsetto)! Brown Burmese -'Chika',
HeadCat of three younger kittys! 5 yrs old. V.vocal...and affectionate, albeit
a bit neurotic! He's getting better though after giving lots of attention.
Should have been called 'Squeaker Chika'. -Al-

L Boyd

Jun 28, 1994, 1:53:37 PM6/28/94
debbe...@aol.com (DEBBEE1023) writes:

I have a squeaker too, but she yaps as well. She's my yapper gyrl.

Lillian will squeak when I pick her up and give her a little
squeeze. I was showing a friend how she squeeked -- I gave
one squeeze and got a squeak, gave her another squeeze and out
came a squeak (we were laughing by then), gave her a third
squeeze and out of the other end came a giant FART.

I know she did that on purpose (=:

lauren

Nancy Jacobs

Jun 29, 1994, 3:02:26 PM6/29/94

---
My Isabelle also squeaks when she jumps down. It cracks me up.
She has done that ever since I got her. When my husband first
heard her squeak, he thought something was wrong with her and
wanted me to take her to the vet. I asked him "What am I gonna
tell the vet, my kitten squeaks?"

My Katie (Isabelle's littermate) doesn't squeak but she grunts
when I pick her up. She doesn't like to be held so she will
grunt like a little piggie until I put her down.

Nancee Jacobs * |\_/| |\_/|
Intergraph Electronics * ( o o ) ( o o )
6101 Lookout Road Suite A * = * = = * =
Boulder, Colorado 80301 *
(303) 581-2382 * Meow Prrrt
Isabelle: CY B+W Y 0.9 X L W+ C+ I++ T+ A++ E++ H+ S++ V+ F Q P+ B+
Katie: CY Bd Y 0.9 X L- W C+++ I++ T+ A+ E H S+ V++ F Q+ P+ B-

Glenn Nelson

Jul 8, 1994, 2:22:38 PM7/8/94
From article <2ukt0t$7...@agate.berkeley.edu>, by heat...@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Heather Janine Meeker):

I like your sig line.

Yes, Ace does it. Also she does a variant which is definitely annoyed.
When annoyed, she will struggle a little to be let down. But with the
other squeek she will be content to be carried around. And sometimes
she makes no noise at all. Who nose? There are many mysteries about
cats, this is just a minor one, eh?

Ace: DS O+Bto H 1.7 X L W++ C+ I+ T++ A E H++ S+ V++ F Q P++ B PA+ PL

Glenn Nelson, Megatest, San Jose
gne...@megatest.com
Phone: 408-441-3014

George Sodini

Jul 13, 1994, 9:34:14 PM7/13/94
Glenn Nelson (gne...@megatest.com) wrote:
> From article <2ukt0t$7...@agate.berkeley.edu>, by heat...@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Heather Janine Meeker):
> >
> > When I pick up my cat, One O'Clock, she squeaks. It's a high, rising tone
> > like a squeaky toy makes. I have never had
> > another cat that did this. It's not a meow; I don't think it's even a
> > voluntary sound. It's like the air from her body is escaping through her
> > mouth. It happens when I reach around her middle to support her under
> > the front legs.
> >
> > One O'Clock doesn't particularly like being picked up. She has
> > never liked being handled much--I got her from the pound and she probably
> > wasn't socialized as a kitten. But she doesn't seem to be in pain or
> > angry when she does this. She doesn't seem any more or less unhappy than
> > when I pick her up another way. She just goes . . .
> >
> > SQUEEEEEK!
> >
> > It's hysterical. Has anyone else experienced this?

Snippers squeeks but in a different way. At first, I thought he was
hacking up a hairball, but it seems his throat is just clogged (I guess)
he is a domestic longhair who seldom drinks liquids. Is this true? The
squeeking is quite loud. I heard him from across the street easily one
time. He makes *loud* squeeks at about one second intervals for about
half a minute. Is this dangerous? He does it about once or twice a month
that I see...чі

George Sodini