Daily Cat Fact

1 view

PetHostAT2

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
Sun Bathers

Cats in sunlight groom more. Part of the reason is the lack of sweat
glands, so depositing saliva helps somewhat to reduce heat by evaporation.
Another crucial element is that sunlight on fur produces Vitamin D, an
important addition to their diet.

Pet Shrink

Monika Tindorf

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

"sunlight on fur produces Vitamin D"?

I find that very hard to believe, because as far as I know hair is
dead.(that is why it doesn't hurt when it is cut)

I DO know that _skin_ on humans absorbs vitamin D from sunlight.

PetHostAT2

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
Hey! Why are They Called "Cats" Anyway?

In almost all languages, the word for cat is very similar. For example,
the Spanish word for cat is "gato," Italian - gatto, French - chat, German
- katze, Norweigan and Swedish - katt, Dutch - kat, Polish - kot, Greek -
gata. The root for this word is clearly very old, and probably
accompanied the introduction of domestic cats from a single source.
Linguists believe that the word derives from Arabic, quttah.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
In Message-ID: <4ilccv$i...@atlas.uniserve.com>
Monika Tindorf <mtin...@uniserve.com> wrote:

>> "sunlight on fur produces Vitamin D"?
>>
>> I find that very hard to believe, because as far as I know hair is
>> dead.(that is why it doesn't hurt when it is cut)
>>
>> I DO know that _skin_ on humans absorbs vitamin D from sunlight.

I'm sorry. If you'd like, please change the sentence to ...

"Sunlight that hits the fur, and has the UV penetrating ability to reach
through to the skin produces Vitamin D, but please make sure you don't
assume that every bit of sunlight on the fur produces Vitamin D because
some of it can be blocked."

Pet Shrink

Miss dusty

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
Hmmm ..

In Turkish the word is kedi ...

PetHostAT2

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
Why would my cat rather drink from a mud puddle than his own water dish?

I recently received this question and did a little poking about. Some
people think their cat's tongue must be on the firtz, but the real reason
is probably just the opposite.

When we give our cats fresh water out of the tap, we forget that it has
been heavily treated with chemicals, particularly chlorine. We then put
this water in a dish we cleaned with more chemicals, in our detergents.
The cat's sensitive palate has an ability to taste water which we cannot,
and may prefer the puddle water because at least it tastes natural!

Pet Shrink

gl...@ov.com

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
In article d...@newsbf02.news.aol.com, petho...@aol.com (PetHostAT2) writes:
>Sun Bathers
>
>Cats in sunlight groom more. Part of the reason is the lack of sweat
>glands, so depositing saliva helps somewhat to reduce heat by evaporation.
> Another crucial element is that sunlight on fur produces Vitamin D, an
>important addition to their diet.
>
>Pet Shrink

Since any fur above the skin is dead by definition, I challenge the
assertion that sunlight on fur produces vitamin D. Sunlight works for
humans because the sunlight produces vitamin D below the skin where
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
circulation puts the vitamin D to use. How could a cat possibly get any
benefit from the dead cells of the fur? Are you saying that dead fur
cells are converted by sunlight into vitamin D? Interesting...

Fletche...@ov.com

Cat-rina: "NF" Bd+W G+Y 7 X W+ C-- I++ T+ V+ F- P+ B- PA- PL-
Tabby-tha: "MC" (B+G)t+W H+Y 2 X C+ I+++ T+/--- A+ E+ S+ V++ Q+ B- PA+ PL++

PetHostAT2

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
Clowders and Kindles

A group of cats is known as a "clowder," based on an old dialect word for
clutter.

A group of kittens is a "kyndyll" or "kindle." This word comes from the
word which meant to bring forth, or to bear. This makes sense for a group
of cats who had recently been brought into the world.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
More on Sweetness

Until very recently, most cat experts declared that although cat's have a
far superior sense of taste to humans, they can't detect sweets. Recent
tests have shown this isn't true. When milk is diluted to one fourth it's
concentration in water, and you offer two bowls of it, (one laced with
sucrose) to hungry cats, cats always prefer the sweetened dish.

Why the confusion for so long? The answer is that cats overlook
sweetness. Even in half-strength milk, their other taste buds are so
stimulated that the presence of sugar isn't a deciding factor, and they
drink equallyfrom either bowl.

Pet Shrink

PS -- Still no hard scientific data on those "Twinkies" yet!

PetHostAT2

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
Allergic Reactions

There are two main types of allergic reations in cats. Cats may exhibit a
hypersensitivity to things such as pollen, wool, and even house dust. The
symptoms include sneezing, coughing, tearing, and sometimes hair loss or
sores from scratching, or diarrhea. Cats may also develop food allergies,
with syptoms that mirror skin diorders, such as lesions, itchiness, and
redness.

In either case, consult your veterinarian to determine the exact cause of
the distress.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
Cats and Booze

Most cats will ignore alcohol, but some will drink it if it is mixed in
with a more palatable substance by a well-meaning (or not so well-meaning)
party-goer.

Alcohol is much harder on cats than it is on people (or dogs, for that
matter). Humans are omniverous, and these eating habits have been aided
by a digestive system that can break down and detoxify a lot of different
ingested substances. Cats aren't nearly as good at it, and alcohol may
cause them to vomit, collapse, or go into a coma.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
Hear, Hear!

The cat's ambush hunting method has been augmented by evolution of
sensitive hearing. Humans can hear noises up to 20,000 cycles/second,
dogs 35,000 - 40,000/second. Cats can detect sounds as high as 100,000
cycles/second, corresponding to the high pitch sounds of mice.

Cats are excellent at detecting precise direction. At six feet they can
discriminate between two sounds only eighteen inches apart!

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
Third Eyelid

The cat's third eyelid, or nictitating membrane to be more precise, can be
found in the corner of his eye. When in use, it slides sideways across
the eye for protection and to lubricate the corneal surface more evenly
with tears.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
Cats and HIV

People with HIV need not always give up their pets. Most animal diseases
are not zoonotic - that is, transferable to humans. The ones that are can
often have their risk minimized by good pet ownership and proper
veterinary care. HIV-infected people contract zoonotic infections much
more frequently from contaminated food, water, soil, or other people than
from their pets. Pets have also been shown to be therapeutic, to some
degree, so the small risks may be outweighed by the benefit.

Of course, HIV can't be spread to your pet - it only affects humans and
primates.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
Cold Points

Most people understand that pigmentation is hereditary, but in some cats,
like Siamese, it is also temperature dependent! Siamese kittens are born
all white - warm from their mother's womb. As they get older, they
develop dark pigments on the tips of their noses, their ears, tip of their
tails, and their feet - extremities that get coldest.

Interestingly, Siamese kittens reared in very cold environments grow dark
all over. Kittens raised in very warm areas often grow into an adult cat
that is pale all over - with no points at all. Diseases that raise
temperature, and bandaging can also cause this paling.

Pet Shrink

gl...@ov.com

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96

As an addendum: People that have had HIV turn into full blown AIDS should
consider their pet's future and arrange for a home for their pet in the
event that they should die from the all too likely complications of the
latter stages of the disease. Nothing is sadder than a pet that is suddenly
rendered homeless when their caretaker has died :-(.

PetHostAT2

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
In Article <4jh8k6$d...@spanky.pls.ov.com>
gl...@ov.com (Fletche...@ov.com) writes:

>> As an addendum: People that have had HIV turn into full blown AIDS
should
>> consider their pet's future and arrange for a home for their pet in the
>> event that they should die from the all too likely complications of the
>>latter stages of the disease. Nothing is sadder than a pet that is
suddenly
>>rendered homeless when their caretaker has died :-(.

Excellent point - and one that should be extended to other foreseeable
events. Thanks for helping out when I get forgetful.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
Phone Cats

Does your cat mug you when you start talking on the phone?

Close investigation will demonstrate that cats do not try to do this with
every phone call. If there is another person in the room, most cats are
less likely to interfere with you. Even when you are alone, if the person
on the other end of the phone is a salesman, your cat is not likely to
respond.

The key here is that your cat is very sensitive to soft, warm tones. If
you use the same loving tones on the phone that you use to greet your cat,
your cat will try to "greet you back!"

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
How Long Can Cats Breed?

Tomcats have been known to reproduce at age 16, and females can produce
kittens even when twelve years old! Granted, some of the reporductive
hardware breaks down, resulting in smaller, less viable litters,
(particularly in purebreds), but this is roughly the human equivalent of a
60 year old mother and a father in his late seventies!

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
Good Listeners?

A recent survey states that only 95% of cat owners talk to their pet.

Pet Shrink

Antti Matikka

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
petho...@aol.com (PetHostAT2) wrote:
>A recent survey states that only 95% of cat owners talk to their pet.

Ban 'em 5%!

Andy, meowing

PetHostAT2

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Living Longer

The average life expectancy for exclusively indoor cats has doubled since
1930 -- from eight years to sixteen. Credit advances in vet care,
nutrition, and the personal education of cat owners.

(( Death to cat old wive's tales!! ))

Pet Shrink

John

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
In article <4jmuob$5...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
petho...@aol.com (PetHostAT2) wrote:
>Good Listeners?

>A recent survey states that only 95% of cat owners talk to their pet.

You mean 5% of cat owners don't!?!?! Wonder if this would be due to some
handicap on the part of the person?

John

PetHostAT2

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
Friday Brides

In the Nordic countries, women once took it as good luck to be married on
Freya's day (Friday). Freya is closely associated with cats, even
arriving in a chariot pulled by two cats (must be strong cats). If the
Friday was sunny, then everyone knew that the young bride would take good
care of the family cats, and that Freya would bless the marriage.

Pet Shrink

tdh...@enh.nist.gov

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
Thank you for these words of wisdom.
I really enjoy them.
Terry D. Hahn

Garry Boyd

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
John <jwa...@globalvision.net> writes:

>You mean 5% of cat owners don't!?!?! Wonder if this would be due to some
>handicap on the part of the person?

They could all be deaf persons who don't know how to talk. That's the only
reasonable explanation.

PetHostAT2

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
Cat OP

Hopefully, everyone has heard the startling breeding rates that cause so
much cat overpopulation and needless death. A single breeding pair,
allowing for fourteen kittens in each three litter year, would produce
65,536 cats in five years! To me, fourteen seems like a rather high
number, but some mother cats have produced up to nineteen kittens/litter.
The record for most kittens produced in a lifetime is 420.

Pet Shrink

John

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In article <5RIKOWL.r...@delphi.com>,

Well I hadn't considered that, I was thinking 5% of those surveyed were liars
<g>.

John

dgabriel

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
:
: >You mean 5% of cat owners don't!?!?! Wonder if this would be due to some
: >handicap on the part of the person?
:
: They could all be deaf persons who don't know how to talk. That's the only
: reasonable explanation.

I met many deaf and deaf-blind people because I completed sign-language
interpreter training; the people I know who communicate primarily via
signing all sign to their pets.

Incidentally, there's one sign which, in the right context, can mean, "Get
off that table": I point to the tabletop, then sharply point to the floor.
When I use it, my two cats know *exactly* what it means. They jump right
down. :)

Donna, Melody, and Harmony

PetHostAT2

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
Old Cats and Hearing

Those great cat ears don't last very long. Cats begin to lose their
hearing when they are only five. As they become elderly, many become
completely deaf. This could account for the high number of older cats
that are killed by cars -- it isn't that they aren't fast enough to get
out of the way, it's that they don't hear them coming.

Pet Shrink

gl...@ov.com

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96

Are you sure that these mammals are cats?? Or... should the statement
be: "They jump right down (if they feel like it)."?

cper...@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
I suspect the latter. I speak (verbally, not by sign) to my cats; they obey
when they feel like it. I suspect the same is true of people who
communicate with their cats by sign, not verbally.

`Down, Mandy!! Down!! (Mandy looks at me, visibly decides whether or not
she wants to get down, and does just what she wants.) I suspect she'd do
the same if I used signs.

Cheryl

tdh...@enh.nist.gov

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
Dear Pet Shrink,
I suppose that this is why we should think about neutering programs.

exit
quit

PetHostAT2

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
HarmoniCats

Are you like me, in that if you start singing (off-key, of course), your
cat often meows for you to stop, or just leaves the room? Some scientists
theorize that cats are sensitize to harmonics. They have noticed that
mice exhibit a two-octave range (higher than our ears can detect) with
different tempos of between two to six notes per second. A few scientists
believe cats are particularly attracted to the mice that sing off-key.

As an aside, several composers attribute their success to their cat's
early critiques of their works, so this theory may have some
corroboration.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
Hair

There are four types of hair on cats, that vary greatly depending on
breed. Down hairs (or underfur) are the short, thin, soft hairs next to
the skin that help conserve heat. Awn hairs make up the bristly middle
coat. The long, thick, straight hairs that help keep the cat dry are the
protective topcoat guard hairs. Finally, the fourth type of hairs are
vibrissae, such as whiskers, that provide tactile information.

On the average cat (I have yet to see an "average" cat, though), for every
1000 down hairs, there are about 300 awn and 20 guard hairs. Pedigreed
cats have much different ratios, and the character of each type of hair
may be radically different.

Pet Shrink

John

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
In article <4k0vna$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Any ideas or information on the cuases of this deafness, and more important is
there anything we as cat people can do to help our kitty(s) avoid this?

John

PetHostAT2

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
E-collars

Elizabethan collars are the large vinyl cone-like neckware you see on some
dogs and cats that have just visited the veterinarian. They are very
useful in preventing the cat from licking or chewing on a wound or
stitches, and can help keep your cat from scratching an ear wound. They
can be easily made at home out of plastic or cardboard, and should be kept
in mind to prevent the reinjuring of minor scratches or cuts.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
I checked one of my favorite resources, the American Animal Hospital
Association Encyclopedia of Cat Health and Care (that's a mouthful!) and
found little good advice for preventing age-related deafness. It does
help to keep your cat's ears clean, to prevent wax build-up on the ear
drum. Ear mites can also lead to ear canal inflammation, and some
deafness is caused by inner ear infections. Finally, check inside your
cat's ears regularly. Just like toddlers, cats can get foreign objects
lodged inside.

Pet Shrink

Robert H Ruskin

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
I suggest you forget the cardboard if you have a smart cat. My cat did not
want the collar on her, but I did. She finally figuared out that if she
went over to her water dish and dunked the collar in the dish, the collar
became a saturated mess... and I would be forced to take it off her. If I
drained her water dish you would search out any body of water.

PetHostAT2

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
All Black Cats

Finding a black cat is rare these days. Almost all will have a few white
hairs, or perhaps a white whisker. Why would this be, when nighttime
hunting would favor cats that were completely black?

The reason is humans. Black cats were very common until medieval times,
when they were associated with evil and black magic. Many people believed
that if a cat had a touch of white, it was not consigned to the devil.
Cat-killing rituals became horribly common, and provided a tremendous
selective pressure against all black cats -- one that we still see in the
cat gene pool today.

Pet Shrink

Robert H Ruskin

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
The Bombay is THE ultimate BLACK CAT!!!

PetHostAT2

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Prenatal Nutrition

Make sure your pregnant cat gets the proper nutrition. Tests have shown
that undernourished mothers produce kittens that have poorer learning
ability, are more antisocial to other cats, and have higher levels of fear
and aggression. These kittens are slower to learn to crawl and walk, and
often have worse balance. Strangely, the offspring of these kittens often
demonstrate similar problems, even when the mother and her kittens are fed
well.

Pet Shrink

SHERRIE PALTRINERI

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
I consider myself very lucky to have the black cat that I do. He is a beautiful
perfectly black cat that we found abandoned last summer. He is the most loving
cat I have ever had and all the kids that came to our house for Halloween
thought that it was so cool to have a "halloween"cat. I didn't realize that
they were rare - I guess having him is a lucky sign...
Sherrie and her "halloween"cat Bledsoe

PetHostAT2

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
Induced Ovulators

One characteristic that helps cats be so (too?) successful at having
kittens is that they are induced ovulators. Unlike most other female
mammals that will release an egg at a specific time during their estrus
cycle, female cats release their eggs only when they are physically
mating. This way they have less wasted eggs.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
Signs of Illness

I recently got a request to point out some of the signs of a sick cat.
She said "... my husband is very good at telling me about every ache and
pain, but how does my cat?" < g >

A sick cat will generally have a hunched over appearance and keep his tail
low. His face will "look sick," as many people say, with a depressed
expression and perhaps dull eyes.

Behaviorally, you will see the cat act outside his normal routine. He
usually will not eat, or clean himself. Litterbox problems are another
good clue, as are changes in his sociability with us and other cats.

Pet Shrink

cper...@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96

So any intact female cat who encounters a male cat is likely to have
kittens.

That's why I had my cats spayed.

Cheryl

PetHostAT2

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
More on Sweets

I posted earlier that cats cannot detect sweets, although there seem to be
a few with a sweet tooth. Cats are true carnivores, and have no need for
taste buds that detect sweet, as opposed to more omniverous creatures such
as dogs and humans. Anatomically, there are still a few ancestoral units
in the cerebellum that can detect sweets, but the necessary connections
for sweet in the glossopharyngeal nerve from the tongue aren't complete.
Scientists still do not have a good explanation for sweet-tooth cats.

Pet Shrink

dgabriel

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Robert H Ruskin (rus...@aruba.ccit.arizona.edu) wrote:
: The Bombay is THE ultimate BLACK CAT!!!

I thought that my two pampered felines, Melody and Harmony, were the
ultimate Black Cats! ;) Just ask them; they'll purr in agreement!

Donna and the "Rorshach Test" kitties ("Oh, look - two ink blots in the
shape of cats!"), Melody and Harmony

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
PE>More on Sweets

PE>I posted earlier that cats cannot detect sweets, although there seem to be
PE>a few with a sweet tooth. Cats are true carnivores, and have no need for
PE>taste buds that detect sweet, as opposed to more omniverous creatures such
PE>as dogs and humans. Anatomically, there are still a few ancestoral units
PE>in the cerebellum that can detect sweets, but the necessary connections
PE>for sweet in the glossopharyngeal nerve from the tongue aren't complete.
PE>Scientists still do not have a good explanation for sweet-tooth cats.

PE>Pet Shrink

I have never known a cat that didn't like something sweet. I guess I
don't need science to confirm what I see with my own eyes. :) Kate

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
DG>Robert H Ruskin (rus...@aruba.ccit.arizona.edu) wrote:
DG>: The Bombay is THE ultimate BLACK CAT!!!

DG>I thought that my two pampered felines, Melody and Harmony, were the
DG>ultimate Black Cats! ;) Just ask them; they'll purr in agreement!

DG>Donna and the "Rorshach Test" kitties ("Oh, look - two ink blots in the
DG>shape of cats!"), Melody and Harmony

I do not give tests do I? Iffen I do I will take nip, fud or toys to
ensure you pass. Rors

PetHostAT2

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
Kitten's Nose

How sensitive is a kitten's nose? So sensitive that at only a few days
old, they can recognize their own personal nipple on mom by subtle
differences in its smell!

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
Tail Wagging

Have I mentioned that tail wagging does not necessarily mean your cat is
aggressive? It is a displacement acitivity, where an animal doesn't know
whether to approach or avoid, and so that extra energy goes off in another
direction. Side-to-side motions (not necessarily the tail) are very
common in most animals -- even that happy dog who still has a bit of fear
over our dominant position.

So why the tail, and not some other part wagging, shaking or quivering?
It may have originally had something to do with balance, but the current
tail wag is far too fast for this function. It is probably also helped
along by the very visible cues it gives to other animals in a social
context.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
Petting

It seems obvious that cat's like to be pet, but have you ever wondered why
would that be?

Many behavioralists believe that it has to do with the fact that we are
perceived as maternal caregivers to our cats. Our petting may be
perceived as having "mom" cleaning the "kittens." Petting does trigger
behaviors that coincide with maternal cleaning, including the stiffly
erect tail, which is raised for "mom's" inspection.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
Territory Size

Anyone who has more than one cat in their household will attest to the
fact that cats are remarkable in their ability to form social contracts
with other cats that share their area. In many low-food locales, we will
find about 2 cats per 250 acres. Cats in sub-Antarctic Marrion Island are
almost always sighted alone.

When we increase the amount of food, cats adapt. In Portsmouth, England,
cats that live on handouts stuff about 200 cats in that same 250 acres.
In the public gardens in Rome, about 2000 will feed on handouts in 250
acres!

Pet Shrink

john sheridan

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
petho...@aol.com (PetHostAT2) wrote:

>Petting

Sorry, I'm not going to take them up on the invitation. :-) -Melinda

>Pet Shrink

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
JS>petho...@aol.com (PetHostAT2) wrote:

JS>>Petting

JS>>It seems obvious that cat's like to be pet, but have you ever wondered why
JS>>would that be?

JS>>Many behavioralists believe that it has to do with the fact that we are
JS>>perceived as maternal caregivers to our cats. Our petting may be
JS>>perceived as having "mom" cleaning the "kittens." Petting does trigger
JS>>behaviors that coincide with maternal cleaning, including the stiffly
JS>>erect tail, which is raised for "mom's" inspection.

JS>Sorry, I'm not going to take them up on the invitation. :-) -Melinda

JS>>Pet Shrink

And you call yourself a mother Melinda! ;) Kate

PetHostAT2

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
Dog Food for Cats?

Always provide your cat food specific for cats. Dog food lacks taurine,
an amino acid necessary for the cat's eyesight and heart.

Pet Shrink

John & Melinda

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96

I've caught baby poop in my bare hand in my day, now I catch cat vomit
on newspapers. Have I progressed or regressed? :-/ -Melinda

PetHostAT2

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
World's Heaviest Cat

The heaviest confirmed weight for a cat was Himmy, an Australian cat that
weighed 45 pounds, 10 ounces in 1982.

Pet Shrink

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
PE>Dog Food for Cats?

PE>Always provide your cat food specific for cats. Dog food lacks taurine,
PE>an amino acid necessary for the cat's eyesight and heart.

PE>Pet Shrink

and doesn't have enough protein. :) Kate

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
PE>World's Heaviest Cat

PE>The heaviest confirmed weight for a cat was Himmy, an Australian cat that
PE>weighed 45 pounds, 10 ounces in 1982.

PE>Pet Shrink

Which goes to show that Herry's shouldn't worry so much. ;) Kate

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
JS>sham...@inferno.com wrote:

JS>> JS>Sorry, I'm not going to take them up on the invitation. :-) -Melinda

JS>> And you call yourself a mother Melinda! ;) Kate

JS>I've caught baby poop in my bare hand in my day, now I catch cat vomit
JS>on newspapers. Have I progressed or regressed? :-/ -Melinda

hehehehe I've caught many a dog poop with my bare hands to save the
carpet! :) At least it's warm. Vomit on newspaper is progression I
think, having done that also. :) Kate

PetHostAT2

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
Cats in Shelters

The American Humane Association estimates that 12 to 18 million dogs and
cats are surrendered each year to shelters. Even though they are healthy,
adoptable cats, more than half will have to be euthanized, simply because
there are not enough homes.

Pet Shrink

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
PE>Cats in Shelters

PE>The American Humane Association estimates that 12 to 18 million dogs and
PE>cats are surrendered each year to shelters. Even though they are healthy,
PE>adoptable cats, more than half will have to be euthanized, simply because
PE>there are not enough homes.

PE>Pet Shrink

I think it's more like people being in love with the idea of a pet
rather than the realities, plus the fact they don't spay/neuter and have
unwanted litters.

Kate

PetHostAT2

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
(I was out of town, so here's a double-length Cat Fact to make up!)

Torti Males

Ever see a male tortiseshell cat? Probably not, because males are
estimated to make up about one half a percent of all torties.
Tortoiseshell cats have an irregular pattern or red and black fur, and
both colors are carried on the X gene. Two X genes produce a female, an
X-Y combination produces a male.

So how come there are ANY torti males? Well, some rare creatures are born
with three sex chromosomes, such as an XXY. These cats are technically
male, but are sterile and lack many common male behaviors.

Pretty bad off, huh? Not really. Torti males throughout history have
been acclaimed, and avoided much of the cat persecution other felines
faced. In England, touching a torti-male's tail in the month of May was
thought to cure warts. Children who played near them were thought to be
able to acquire the cat's magic psychic powers.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Breeding and Aging

In the 1950's, the great evolutionary biologist George Williams suggested
that genes that help animals breed more profusely also increases the rate
of aging. Researchers in Sweden found this to be true within a population
of flycatchers, where early breeders had shorter lifespans.

Whether this holds true for all animals, particularly the unusual cat, is
a matter of speculation. After all, the Siamese has the longest life
expectancy, but can also reproduce earlier than other cat breeds.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
Sterilization and Spraying

Sterilization doesn't automaticly stop spraying. In studies, 10% of
neutered males, and 5% of spayed females continue to spray on a regular
basis.

You can increase you odds further by knowing what makes cats even more
likely to spray, and making environmental changes for your cat. Among
these are:

- Sterilization after spraying has become habitiual
- Cats with access to the outdoors
- Cats in chaotic homes, with children, pets, or no predicatable
schedule.
- Cats in multi-cat households
- Illness
- Living in strong-smelling homes
- Stray cats in the yard, particularly cats in season

Pet Shrink

Raewyn Donnell

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
In article <tcpnntpd.16.4.18.15.42...@bbs.inferno.com>, sham...@inferno.com says...
Of course down this way, or to be more precise, over that way. Himmy would be pronounced
Heeemmy. : )
Rae

PetHostAT2

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
How Many Cats?

According to the Pet Food Manufacturers Institute (these people probably
keep the best statistics on the topic), there are currently 62 million
owned cats in the United States, compared with 54 million owned dogs.
"Owned" is the key word here, and is based on the person's perception --
people that feed outdoor cats rarely report them as owned.

There are an estimated 26 million unowned cats in the U.S. in late winter,
which rises to about 40 million just after kitten season.

Pet Shrink

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
RA> In article <tcpnntpd.16.4.18.15.42...@bbs.inferno.com>,
RA> >
RA> >PE>World's Heaviest Cat
RA> >
RA> >PE>The heaviest confirmed weight for a cat was Himmy, an Australian cat th
RA> >PE>weighed 45 pounds, 10 ounces in 1982.
RA> >
RA> >PE>Pet Shrink
RA> >
RA> >Which goes to show that Herry's shouldn't worry so much. ;) Kate
RA> >
RA> Of course down this way, or to be more precise, over that way. Himmy would
RA> Heeemmy. : )
RA>Rae

:) Kate

PetHostAT2

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
Fear and Multi-Coloralism ; )

The original choices for domesticating cats has probably left today's cats
demonstrating less fear and aggression than their wild forebearers. The
genetic components behind these behaviors are linked with other features,
and probably is what has brought about such a variety of colors in
domestic cats.

Fox breeders have noticed the same thing. Selective breeding for the
three mutant coat colors, non-agouti, blue, and chocolate, has
unintentionally produced tamer animals. The linkage here and with cats
has to do with altered body hormone function.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Prancing in the Dark

Ancient Egyptian culture had a great fear of the dark. When they saw the
cat stride confidently into the night, their sages determined that it must
be the cat that kept the world from falling into eternal darkness.

The cat's nighttime excursions are probably the reason that it was also
worshipped for sexuality and fertility.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

Overactive Thyroid

Many owners take their older cats to see a veterinarian because they (the
cats!) are getting heavy from inactivity, but some cats may need help for
just the opposite reason. An overactive thyroid gland can alter the cat's
behavior, including constant activity, vocalization, and wandering, and
often excessive hunger. If your cat has sudden changes in behavior, the
cause may be organic, and your first visit should be to a veterinarian.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

Zoonotic Diseases

Throughout history, humans have believed cats to be carriers of great
disease. In the Middle Ages, cats were routinely killed to protect
against the plague. These cats, who killed rats that truly carried the
disease, could have saved a great many lives if simply left alone.

Many of these beliefs live today, but the truth is, most cat diseases do
not affect humans. We are designed quite differently, and many successful
diseases are often species-specific. Zoonotic diseases are exceptions --
rabies, toxoplasmosis, roundworm, ringworm, and fleas.

If your cat is kept indoors, dewormed when young and fed only cooked or
commercial foods, and visits a vet regularly, the threat of transmission
is remote.

Pet Shrink

sham...@inferno.com

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

PE>Zoonotic Diseases

PE>Throughout history, humans have believed cats to be carriers of great
PE>disease. In the Middle Ages, cats were routinely killed to protect
PE>against the plague. These cats, who killed rats that truly carried the
PE>disease, could have saved a great many lives if simply left alone.

PE>Many of these beliefs live today, but the truth is, most cat diseases do
PE>not affect humans. We are designed quite differently, and many successful
PE>diseases are often species-specific. Zoonotic diseases are exceptions --
PE>rabies, toxoplasmosis, roundworm, ringworm, and fleas.

PE>If your cat is kept indoors, dewormed when young and fed only cooked or
PE>commercial foods, and visits a vet regularly, the threat of transmission
PE>is remote.

PE>Pet Shrink

What about the health of the cat! Many commercial foods are just junk,
if people really knew what went into the Friskies, etc. they'd be asking
for better control on the ingredients used in all animal foods, pets and
livestock alike. Kate

PetHostAT2

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

Superfetation

Female cats are such efficient breeders that one in ten will break a
golden rule of mammals, and go into heat while pregnant! Eggs are
released and the cat can be fertilized.

Carrying kittens three to six weeks apart can cause problems. Many of the
younger ones are born prematurely during the birth of the older ones. If
these kittens do hang on, and are born later, the mother has the big job
of producing enough milk (and nipples!) for two litters.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Can you name the three functions of scratching?

1. Sharpen claws, exposing the newer, growing claw inside.

2. Exercise, strengthening the front feet and the vital, prey-catching
claws.

3. Territory. Cats have scent glands under their paws, and while their
scratching may leave a visual territorial signal, they are leaving a
chemical one as well.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Covering in the Litterbox

One cat problem that behaviorists still have to shrug at is how to get a
cat who uses the litterbox to cover his feces.

As many of you know, in cat society urination and defecation are
considered territorial behaviors as well as just body functions. Burying
wastes is an instinctual behavior where a subordinate cat tries to cover
some of his smell to not make such an aggressive scent claim that could be
perceived a challenge. However, far from burying, some dominant cats in
the wild will actually place their wastes on top of small hillocks for all
to see (er.. smell?).

Some of our cats continue these instinctual behaviors, and of course,
these are the hardest types to modify.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Early, Early Cats

The first cats are believed to have evolved about 30 to 40 million years
ago, about ten or twenty million years before dogs. The cats were
initially divided into the large cats, notably the sabre tooth tiger, and
small cats. When the large cats large, slow prey died out, so too did the
big cats, who were too slow and clumsy to compete. The smaller, lynx-like
species Dinitis was quicker, intelligent and strong, and were the
ancestors of our modern cats.

Pet Shrink

dgabriel

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

PetHostAT2 (petho...@aol.com) wrote:
: Covering in the Litterbox

Personally, as long as the cats are doing their daily "chores" inside the
litterbox, it makes no difference to me whether or not they actually BURY
the evidence. :) If a person isn't happy about their cat's non-burying
habits, they might want to consider getting a litterbox with a hood or
other kind of cover.

Donna

Leandra Walker

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96
> Pet ShrinkYou forgot the most important one:

4) To drive the humans they live with absolutely bonkers by destroying
the oldest/most fragile/favorite/best items in the house, while
looking both innocent and most self satisfied.

:-)

--L

Circumstances Eat Themselves | INSERT STANDARD
--Moxy Früvous | DISCLAIMER HERE

PetHostAT2

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Water

Although cats do not need a lot of water, a small amount should always be
available to prevent dehydration and insure proper kidney function. Try
to keep your cat's away from toilets and flower vases. Toilets may
contain disinfectants, and water from vases may be toxic from the flowers.
Milk is not an appropriate substitute for water.

Pet Shrink

sham...@inferno.com

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

DG>PetHostAT2 (petho...@aol.com) wrote:
DG>: Covering in the Litterbox
DG>:
DG>: One cat problem that behaviorists still have to shrug at is how to get a
DG>: cat who uses the litterbox to cover his feces.
DG>:
DG>: As many of you know, in cat society urination and defecation are
DG>: considered territorial behaviors as well as just body functions. Burying
DG>: wastes is an instinctual behavior where a subordinate cat tries to cover
DG>: some of his smell to not make such an aggressive scent claim that could be
DG>: perceived a challenge. However, far from burying, some dominant cats in
DG>: the wild will actually place their wastes on top of small hillocks for all
DG>: to see (er.. smell?).
DG>:
DG>: Some of our cats continue these instinctual behaviors, and of course,
DG>: these are the hardest types to modify.
DG>:
DG>: Pet Shrink

DG>Personally, as long as the cats are doing their daily "chores" inside the
DG>litterbox, it makes no difference to me whether or not they actually BURY
DG>the evidence. :) If a person isn't happy about their cat's non-burying
DG>habits, they might want to consider getting a litterbox with a hood or
DG>other kind of cover.

DG>Donna

Very true Donna. In fact I often wished Finnegan didn't bury his
"chores" as he excavated not covered! Must have taken after his Daddy,
Kevin, a mining engineer. ;) Kate

Seanette Blaylock

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Kate:

> Very true Donna. In fact I often wished Finnegan didn't
> bury his
> "chores" as he excavated not covered! Must have taken
> after his Daddy,
> Kevin, a mining engineer. ;) Kate

Sounds a bit like my Felix. I cannot *believe* how much litter he throws around
the bathroom (only reasonable place in the apartment for his box). I've never
had a cat scatter litter like that before (and I've had furry owners nearly my
whole life (I'm 26)).
Seanette
--
+-Internet: seanette...@catalina.org
+-Fidonet: Seanette Blaylock 1:206/2735
| of the originator, and if you do not, they are someone else's opinions.
+-The Catalina BBS InterNet <-> FidoNet Gateway
| Public Access for Fido Boards and Users! e-mail: in...@catalina.org
+-World Wide Web Space starting $10/month! e-mail: web-...@catalina.org

PetHostAT2

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

How Many Meals?

Cats are not the diurnal (dawn and dusk) feeders we once thought them to
be. Given their own choice, most cats will eat ten to eighteen small
meals distributed fairly evenly over a 24 hour period. Dogs, on the other
hand, are designed to be able to eat large quantities of food at one
setting.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

... And What Tastes Good?

It should come as no surprise to cat owners that commercial pet foods are
designed to meet the cat's discriminating tastes. It may be a little less
known that feral cats also discriminate on food based on taste. In North
America, most cats will eat mice, ground squirrels, chipmunks and the
occasional rabbit, but they will kill but not eat the less tasty jumping
mice. Cats are such successful hunters that they can afford taste
discriminations that other mammals might not be able to afford to keep
their bellies full.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/7/96

Why would a cat suddenly turn and bite you when you are petting him?

Touch is not the important source of social interaction for cats as it is
for dogs. Cats generally can receive it as grooming (like mom cleaning)
and as unwanted contact. Since they approach a state of dissonance, they
may direct this at you with a sudden bite.

Cats can be desensitized to petting by simply stopping BEFORE they bite.
These bites are almost always preceded by a slight movement by the cat,
such as the ears moving back, or the whiskers moving forward. Stopping
petting will allow the cat to calm on his own, and repeated pettings can
increase the number and strength of the strokes without arousing the cat.

Pet Shrink

Aramis

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/7/96

When we were in 29 Apr 1996 20:52:16 -0400, there came PetHostAT2 and
stated on petho...@aol.com that...
I'm Shure that lots of us are realy pleased by these posts of our friend
Pet Shrink.
Nevertheless one can never be too praised for _very_ positive
contributions.
So, Lets hear it for *the* Pet Shrink.
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
--
Third_galaxy_after_black_hole#9999. Via_lactea. solar_system @ Earth.
north_hemisphere.

dgabriel

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

Aramis (usfm...@ibmmail.com) wrote:
: When we were in 29 Apr 1996 20:52:16 -0400, there came PetHostAT2 and
: stated on petho...@aol.com that...
: >
: >Superfetation
: >
[...]

We second that emotion! PURRRpurrrPURRRpurrr!

Donna, Melody and Harmony

P.S. I forward a lot of these Daily Cat Facts to a friend of mine who has
e-mail access at work, but no Usenet access.

: --

:

PetHostAT2

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

Cat Talk

Aside from humans, some scientists believe that the most complex
vocabulary belongs to cats, including over one hundred different sounds.
Skeptics point out that this is not as necessary for cats as for animals
that live together in a complex organization to have this complex a
language, and it is a fluke (or we WANT to hear it).

IMO, this may be exactly why some of this language is necessary. Cats are
not the loners we once thought them to be, and often live in complex
hierarchies. Moreover, their domianance and submission relationships are
not absolute. While a dog has pack-rules deeply passed along in their
genes, cats often must make learned rules. One cat may be the king of the
couch, another the king of a chair. It may also switch based on time of
the day, whether the owner is around with a squirt bottle, or a hundred
other learned factors known mostly to the individual cat.

Complex cat vocalizations stem from two areas - the wild adult language of
sex and violence, and the kitten/mother communication that we maintain in
our domestic cat. While visual, chemical and other signalls are very
important, specific vocalization also helps our cats get along in their
society as well.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

Unconsciousness

Your cat may become unconscious from a heart attack, stroke, poisoning,
or shock. He may show initial symptoms of stupor or depression. If you
find your cat unconscious, don't forget to pull out his tonguw to clear
the airway before wrapping him in a blanket and rushing him to the vet.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

Kitten Handling

Many people believe that only the mother cat should touch new kittens.
This is not the case.

Antisceptic handling increases the development rate and maturation of the
central nervous system. Total growth rate increased. Resistance to
emotional stress increased. They open their eyes faster. And most
importantly, early handling can help establish the cat/human relationship.

Pet Shrink

Ray

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

petho...@aol.com (PetHostAT2) wrote:

>Covering in the Litterbox

However, far from burying, some dominant cats in

>the wild will actually place their wastes on top of small hillocks for all

>to see (er.. smell?).

>Some of our cats continue these instinctual behaviors, and of course,

>these are the hardest types to modify.

>Pet Shrink

My two cats, adopted from the SPCA at 3 and 6 months of age, used the
litter box and covered thoroughly. I use the pooper/scooper and flush
system and they both watch this intently. They noticed that I dug out
their leavings no matter how well they covered them.. I think that
they simply decided that thered was no point in covering them any more
so they stopped doing it. Am I ascribing too much logic to their
thinking?

Ray Girven

Ray & Rashida Girven who work for Manga and Dudu
Illigitimus non carborundum
(Don't let the bastards grind you down)

sham...@inferno.com

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

PE>Cat Talk

PE>Aside from humans, some scientists believe that the most complex
PE>vocabulary belongs to cats, including over one hundred different sounds.
PE>Skeptics point out that this is not as necessary for cats as for animals
PE>that live together in a complex organization to have this complex a
PE>language, and it is a fluke (or we WANT to hear it).

PE>IMO, this may be exactly why some of this language is necessary. Cats are
PE>not the loners we once thought them to be, and often live in complex
PE>hierarchies. Moreover, their domianance and submission relationships are
PE>not absolute. While a dog has pack-rules deeply passed along in their
PE>genes, cats often must make learned rules. One cat may be the king of the
PE>couch, another the king of a chair. It may also switch based on time of
PE>the day, whether the owner is around with a squirt bottle, or a hundred
PE>other learned factors known mostly to the individual cat.

PE>Complex cat vocalizations stem from two areas - the wild adult language of
PE>sex and violence, and the kitten/mother communication that we maintain in
PE>our domestic cat. While visual, chemical and other signalls are very
PE>important, specific vocalization also helps our cats get along in their
PE>society as well.

PE>Pet Shrink

Meowchat roolz ;) Kate

sham...@inferno.com

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

PE>Kitten Handling

PE>Many people believe that only the mother cat should touch new kittens.
PE>This is not the case.

PE>Antisceptic handling increases the development rate and maturation of the
PE>central nervous system. Total growth rate increased. Resistance to
PE>emotional stress increased. They open their eyes faster. And most
PE>importantly, early handling can help establish the cat/human relationship.

PE>Pet Shrink

So are we saying here that early handling makes you fluffily? Geesh I
must've been handled lots and lots as a baby. ;) Kate

PetHostAT2

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

Young Mothers

Feral females rarely reach sexual maturity for well over a year of age,
but that is not the case for our pet cats which usually achieve it by
seven months. Some breeds, such as the Siamese and Burmese, are so
sexually precocious that they can become pregnant as young as three and a
half months.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

Breaking Up is Hard To Do

Not only are mother cats responsible for the care, feeding and education
of the kittens, they also determine when it's time to leave the family
unit. This generally occurs when the mother's milk dries up. More
precisely, the hormones progesterone and prolactin have returned to normal
levels, and this seems to conincide with a decline in the commitment to
mothering. The kittens attempts to continue to suckle become painful, and
mom will generally discipline them. For litters of around six, they are
usually evicted at about six months; smaller litters may not be as
annoying, and may stay with the mother cat for eight months.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

Cat Costs

Some people who fall in love with that cute kitten do not stop to consider
how much he will cost. Besides the initial purchase or adoption fee, an
adopter is also making a commitment for perhaps twenty years to pay for
food, litter, accessories, veterinary care, and boarding that could run
well over $500 a year. There is also the personal investment in time and
compassion that I feel is well worth what we get back from our cats.

Pet Shrink

PetHostAT2

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Belly Up

Nudging and head butts aren't the only way a cat can express a friendly
greeting. A resting cat may roll over on his back and stretch his paws
when you walk in the door. If you see it -- feel complimented. This is
a highly defenseless position for a cat, and is only done with intimate
family members.

Pet Shrink

Mikko or Andy

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

petho...@aol.com (PetHostAT2) wrote:
>Some people who fall in love with that cute kitten do not stop to consider
>how much he will cost.
(snippage)

>well over $500 a year.

With Finnish prices and two cats it's closer to $500 a _month_ !
But worth every cent :-)

Andy, exaggerating a little as usual (actually though, it _is_ about
$150-200 a month for food and litter only)

It is loading more messages.