Cat bites off other cat's whiskers!

DanaKate

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I have two neutered male tabbys that generally love each other, but one
chews off the other's whiskers. He does it while they are grooming each
other. The victim (Sebastian) does not seem to know what is happening.
at first I thought it was a dominance thing, but the chewer doesn't seem
to be aggressive about it, just overzealous in his grooming!

But meanwhile, poor Sebastian has nubs for eyebrows and very short
whiskers, and his balance is sometimes off! If I yell at the chewer, he
stops for the moment but does it when I'm not around. I thought about
painting the victim's whiskers with that bad-tasting stuff they use to
cure people from nail-biting, but I'm afraid Sebastian would taste it as
well. Any advice?

- Dana (Dana...@aol.com)
-Miracles happen to those who believe in them.-

CfzL

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
>> ... just overzealous in his grooming.

YES, YES, YES... Isn't it the oddest thing??? For years we thought that
our youngest female, Zizanie, just had very brittle whiskers due to her
many health problems, and that they were breaking off. Then, one day, I
saw our youngest male, Simpson, grooming her and then *really* chewing
away at her whiskers... She seemed to enjoy the attention.

I mentioned it to the vet, who had never heard of that before but said it
didn't seem to be causing any problems for either one of them.

Guess it was just love.

: )

Corn
*********
*********
*********

That's just *not* good enough...

Paul F Austin

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
In article <3t2kf2$7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> cf...@aol.com (CfzL) writes:
>From: cf...@aol.com (CfzL)
>Subject: Re: Cat bites off other cat's whiskers!
>Date: 1 Jul 1995 00:54:58 -0400

>>> ... just overzealous in his grooming.

>YES, YES, YES... Isn't it the oddest thing??? For years we thought that
>our youngest female, Zizanie, just had very brittle whiskers due to her
>many health problems, and that they were breaking off. Then, one day, I
>saw our youngest male, Simpson, grooming her and then *really* chewing
>away at her whiskers... She seemed to enjoy the attention.

>I mentioned it to the vet, who had never heard of that before but said it
>didn't seem to be causing any problems for either one of them.

Pooka groomed Topaz to excess. Topaz had a chronic eye problem that flared up
about once a year. When the problem showed up, we had to administer eye drops
and usually controled the problem.

Every three or four years, the problem would get out of hand and require the
Topaz's eyelid be sewn shut for a couple of weeks. To keep the stitches in
place, our vet would stitch a button on his eyelid.

During one episode, when Topaz was wearing a button, we came home to find him
with both eyes wide open. Pooka had decided she didn't like the button and so
she chewed through the stitches one by one and pulled them out one by one. She
must have used an amazingly delicate touch for Stripe to let her unbutton him.

During more normal times, Pook would shear of Topaz's eyebrows. It reminded me
of the time my youngest sister trimmed her eyebrows with a razor: trim the
left side, trim the right side, oops left side too long, trim that, opps now
right side too long... Eventually Thereasa was eyebrowless. If you don't think
brothers would remind her at every opportunity, you must be an only child.

"I don't wonder that so many men are wicked.
I do wonder that so many are unashamed"
-------------------------------------
Paul Austin
HARRIS....@IC1D.HARRIS.COM

Georges Ware

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
In article <HARRIS.pausti...@ic1d.harris.com>,
HARRIS....@ic1d.harris.com says...

Yep, Quite common for Mum-cats to trim their kittens whiskers
down to nothing!!

Georges

Valerie Higgins

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
I have to tell this story - Way back when - before a divorce and several
other traumatic events - we got my beloved Twinkie. My ex had a
wonderful full English-type handlebar mustache that curled up at the
ends. He was very vain about it and always groomed it very carefully,
using only the best mustache wax, etc. After we had had Twinkie about
four months he woke up one morning minus half of his mustache.

We couldn't figure out what had happened, we searched the bed, the floor
around the bed and could find nary a hair. Resignedly he shaved off the
other half and proceeded to regrow his mustache. He finally got it back
to its luxurious original and was again very proud of it. We both woke
up one morning to find Twinkie sitting on his chest happily chewing away
on his mustache. Needless to say, he changed his mustache wax.

She was part of my divorce settlement and was with me until 1992 when she
died of a stroke at the age of 19-1/2. I still miss her.