Help!! My Cat Farts All the Time!!!

Fluffy

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

I can tell cause of the smell. She doesnt actually make farting noises
though. but sometimes when she sitting by me theyre will be this big
burst of Fart Aroma. Alot of the time it seems to be in waves, hovering
in certain areas. A draft of that Farting Smell. She is a fairly new
cat to me and I've had her for about nearly a month now. she is almost a
year old. Her birthday is March 10. Also she is a persian.

Can anyone offer advice how to deal with this problem? Also I check her
back porch often, too make sure she's not carrying 'anything', thinking
maybe that was the source of the smell. And Ive got it all clipped cause
from previous persian experience I know back porch baggage can be a
problem if you dont keep the area clipped.

Any advice would be appreciated much. ~~whew!~~

{{{{{e-mail address fake to foil spammers}}}}}

ag...@hotmail.com

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

I found that my Mystic was having gas for a while when I was in the poor
house. I figured that I was just the low end cat food that she was having to
deal with. As soon as her food was changed away from those half assed
Safeway brands the gas completely disappeared. God did they ever stink
though!
Art
ag...@hotmail.com

Richard Gerace

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

You say she's new to you. Has she been to the vet to be checked for worms,
etcetera? She may just be unused to the food you're feeding her. Do you know
what she was eating before? Definitely have her checked by a good vet if you
haven't done so yet.

Lyle Rooff

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Assuming that you've had her checked for worms, a change in diet might cure
the problem. Sometimes just a different flavor of the same brand will cure
it.
Worst thing is, though, they usually wait to pass gas until they are curled
up on your lap, sleeping in the most adorable poses. Then you think, "How
can something so awful come out of something so cute?"
Good luck!

Eliyahu Rooff

Bob Avery H.......

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Fluffy wrote:
> I can tell cause of the smell.
Are you making the mistake of giving her dairy products? Most cats are
lactose intolerant, which can cause them to have gas, loose stools, etc.
--
Cheers,
BobH

Chris and Helen Brand

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98
to Fluffy

My little guy also farts alot and the vet gave us some feline pepto
bismol he is mixed egyptian mau and they think this may have something
to do with it but I do empathise they really stink when they do it. My
little guy also does it when he is happy or content almost as if he has
lost control of his sphincter !1

Good luck

Helen and smelly Rascal

lisaviolet

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Chris and Helen Brand wrote:

> My little guy also farts alot
>
> Good luck
>
> Helen and smelly Rascal
>
> Fluffy wrote:
> >
> > I can tell cause of the smell.
> >
> > Any advice would be appreciated much. ~~whew!~~

I heard that this can also be caused by food with corn in it. The corn
ferments. And there you have cat gas and really stinky poop. (But dogs
are still way worse, according to my olfactory nerves.)

When our cat Bart was a kitten, we called him Fartin Bart. Fartin!!!
here kittykittykitty!!! Dinnertime!!!

lisaviolet

--
to email, remove xx
>^..^<
visit lisaviolet's cathouse
http://www.lisaviolet.com
Educate!! Don't Amputate!!
http://www.lisaviolet.com/declaw.html

Sarah Caudle/Lou Mategrano

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

My cat farts constantly too! He is a 5 month old kitten and I think I need
to start feeding him higher-quality food. Lately, his breath has been mucho
stinky too. I'd like some advice regarding these issues. Buster is
malodorous!

Fluffy wrote in message <6dbegb$k...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>I can tell cause of the smell. She doesnt actually make farting noises
>though. but sometimes when she sitting by me theyre will be this big
>burst of Fart Aroma. Alot of the time it seems to be in waves, hovering
>in certain areas. A draft of that Farting Smell. She is a fairly new
>cat to me and I've had her for about nearly a month now. she is almost a
>year old. Her birthday is March 10. Also she is a persian.
>
>Can anyone offer advice how to deal with this problem? Also I check her
>back porch often, too make sure she's not carrying 'anything', thinking
>maybe that was the source of the smell. And Ive got it all clipped cause
>from previous persian experience I know back porch baggage can be a
>problem if you dont keep the area clipped.
>

>Any advice would be appreciated much. ~~whew!~~

Veruca

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

> My little guy also farts alot and the vet gave us some feline pepto
> bismol he is mixed egyptian mau and they think this may have something
> to do with it but I do empathise they really stink when they do it. My
> little guy also does it when he is happy or content almost as if he has
> lost control of his sphincter !1

My Aby Gomez used to save up his farts until he sat on my husband's (now
ex-husband's) lap. I think he just got entirely relaxed, but it was as
though the gates of hell had opened. A real case of SBD - silent but
deadly!

And I've also noticed that Science Diet causes horribly smelly poops -
much worse than Iam's.

V.

Fluffy

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

In article <verucaNOSPAM-0...@dal-tsa11-54.cyberramp.net>,
veruca...@usa.net says...

Really! Science diet is what i've been feeding my cat, I thought it was
supposed to be the best. Maybe I should switch to Iam's as well.

and yes, my cats favorite time to fart is when she's sitting in my lap...

{{{{{e-mail address faked to foil spammers}}}}}

Fluffy

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

In article <34FA29...@earthling.net>, CAS...@earthling.net says...

> Fluffy wrote:
> > I can tell cause of the smell.
> Are you making the mistake of giving her dairy products? Most cats are
> lactose intolerant, which can cause them to have gas, loose stools, etc.
> --
> Cheers,
> BobH
> "Fart proudly..." --Benjamin Franklin, in an essay by the same name.

No dairy products, though I've been giving her something called "Cosmic
Kittycat Grass" a pet store product, supposed to improve digestion...

Fluffy

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

In article <6dbuni$qcn$1...@news1-alterdial.uu.net>, rge...@capecod.net
says...

> You say she's new to you. Has she been to the vet to be checked for worms,
> etcetera? She may just be unused to the food you're feeding her. Do you know
> what she was eating before? Definitely have her checked by a good vet if you
> haven't done so yet.

Yes, I've put the vet thing off because of my last cats vet bills I'm
still paying off (she had cancer). I will get her an appointment
tomorrow. Though hopefully it'll just be the food as so many people have
suggested.

Thanks for the advice

Robert Snow

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

I have the same problem with my 1 year old (1 year on the 14/3)
She has real bad wind, It has the smell of the food she eats
(Felix canned food).

Anyone here from the UK, ifso what do you feed your cat on

Rob

L.I. Endell

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Robert Snow wrote:
: I have the same problem with my 1 year old (1 year on the 14/3)

: She has real bad wind, It has the smell of the food she eats
: (Felix canned food).

: Anyone here from the UK, ifso what do you feed your cat on

My parents fed Cobber on Felix which he loved. These days he's on Hills
for obese cats. I never noticed a breath or wind problem with him.

Felix and Pepper are on Iams. Felix has bad breath - but the vet was happy
with it, it's not a "sick" bad breath problem. Except when he yawns in my
face, then *I* feel ikky...

Pepper has some wind, I think - or perhaps just a smelly bottom. It's
always clean but, well, smelly.

At least I don't have both problems with both cats :-).

Linz

--
Lindsay Endell li...@cam.ac.uk & li...@earthling.net
Ooh, not exactly a pedant as such, I wouldn't say...

Robert Snow

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

So it must be my cat, It really does not matter what can food I give
her she gets wicked wind, with a distint smell of the food she is
eating.
I pick her up to give her some fuss & 9 out of 10 times
I wicked smell floats up my nose.
Het name is Nexus, but mostly gets called smelly or stinky
& if it worse than normal its Stinky Ass - :)
She knows I am calling her when I use her nick name :)
She eats 2 cans aday (She has 5, 3 week old babies)

Regards to all - Robert

Sanna Popponen

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

>She has real bad wind, It has the smell of the food she eats
>(Felix canned food).
>
> Anyone here from the UK, ifso what do you feed your cat on
>
> Rob
I feed my kitty (5months) Whiskas kitten and Felix kitten (both wet and
dry food) and I we don't seem to have any trouble with those... neither
did the cheaper non-brand foods we tried cause any problems. I suppose
we're lucky ;) You might want to try IAMS (?) which you should get from
your local pet store. Shame it's a bit dear though... but I've heard
it's good :)

Sanna
--
Sanna Popponen & Calvin

Arlene

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Hello,

Just wanted to thank you for the advice regarding Frontline, Advantage,
etc. I will pass the information on to my friend.

Best regards,
Arlene

C.J. Fuller

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

Our cat Phoebe (4 1/2 yr old Russian Blue, spoiled rotten) was pretty
gassy as a kitten. I'm not sure why, but it could have been the kitten
food she got. Mercifully she grew out of it.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller
<mailto:cjfu...@erickson.uncg.edu>