Kenzie can haz purrs?

1 view

Gandalf

Oct 24, 2008, 2:16:25 AM10/24/08
Kenzie can haz some purrs? Please?

Kenzie's right eyes has been tearing more than normal, for about 2 days.

It just looked like tears, no other discharge.

So I took her to TED today.

Ted said it could be feline herpes.

There is 'some inflammation' in her right eye. I can't see it, and I'm
usually pretty good at 'home diagnosis'.

I can't believe Kenzie has herpes. At least it seems very, very
unlikely.

I've had her since 1999. And she was an 'only cat' before I got her,
although I don't know exactly how long.

Kenzie came from a 'we kill them' (InHumane Society) shelter, at about 1
year old. I know she had 1 or more humans before her temporary
incarceration there.

But the scary thing is that Kenzie has a slow growing melanoma in her
LEFT eye, and it will need to be removed, "sooner or later", according
to her (very expensive) veterinary opthalmologist.

So, Kenzie NEEDS to have her LEFT eye stay healthy.

TED gave me some antibiotic eye drops for Kenzie.

I really, REALLY hope they clear this up.

On a better note: I have managed to slim Kenzie down from 11 lbs 8 oz
(5.21kg) to 10lb. 5 oz (4.68kg.)

TED says this is a 'much better' weight for Kenzie.

Kenzie doesn't agree: she's hungry a lot :(

Poor Kenzie :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<

- Robert Heinlein

Joy

Oct 24, 2008, 2:49:51 AM10/24/08
Purrs for Kenzie, and for you.

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

"Gandalf" <g.ga...@lycos.com> wrote in message

Sharon & Smudgie

Oct 24, 2008, 4:07:47 AM10/24/08

"Gandalf" <g.ga...@lycos.com> wrote in message

Tons and tons of purrs from us. Our vet suspects Smudgie has feline herpes
too. He didn't test her though as the only discomfort she appears to have
is an occasional runny eye. We hope it isn't herpes and Kenzie feels better
soon.
Sharon & Smudgie

Adrian

Oct 24, 2008, 4:10:25 AM10/24/08

Purrs on the way for Kenzie.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Victor Martinez

Oct 24, 2008, 7:38:33 AM10/24/08
Gandalf wrote:
> So, Kenzie NEEDS to have her LEFT eye stay healthy.

Lots and lots of healing purrs.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here: u...@ftc.gov

Irulan

Oct 24, 2008, 9:04:43 AM10/24/08
"Gandalf" <g.ga...@lycos.com> wrote in message
> Kenzie can haz some purrs? Please?
::snip::

Purrs and prayers going Kenzie's way. We hope
she starts feeling better soon.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

CatNipped

Oct 24, 2008, 9:05:24 AM10/24/08
Purrs for Kenzie. Also, look into giving her L-Lysine for the herpes.
L-Lysine is harmless in itself and it doesn't harm anything in a cat or
human, it's just an amino acid. The herpes virus needs another naturally
occurring amino acid, arginine, in order to reproduce. L-Lysine interferes
in the herpes virus' absorption of arginine without decreasing the level
arginine in the blood (cats need arginine). L-Lysine also works for humans
who get cold sores - the herpes virus can't be destroyed, but if it can't
reproduce you'll never have an outbreak.

I buy 500mg tablets of L-Lysine at Wal-Mart and give each cat 1/2 a tablet,
sprinkled in their gooshy food, twice a day (that's the dosage for a kitten,
you may want to use a whole tablet on an adult cat, but my cats do well on
that dose).

When we adopted Archer and Ozzy they had the worst cases of URIs that I'd
ever seen. Their eyes were just running with puss, they were sneezing and
coughing - it was awful! It took about 3 or 4 weeks for the L-Lysine to
start working (again, it doesn't destroy the herpes virus, so a current
outbreak will not be interrupted, it will have to run its course). After
that they have never had another symptom since!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jack Campin - bogus address

Oct 24, 2008, 9:33:51 AM10/24/08
> Purrs for Kenzie. Also, look into giving her L-Lysine for the herpes.
> L-Lysine is harmless in itself and it doesn't harm anything in a cat or
> human, it's just an amino acid. The herpes virus needs another naturally
> occurring amino acid, arginine, in order to reproduce. L-Lysine interferes
> in the herpes virus' absorption of arginine without decreasing the level
> arginine in the blood (cats need arginine). L-Lysine also works for humans
> who get cold sores - the herpes virus can't be destroyed, but if it can't
> reproduce you'll never have an outbreak.

You probably don't want to do this. Lysine is not entirely safe in
humans (it has been implicated as a cause of heart disease) and cats
have different amino acid metabolism from humans - there is a
syndrome in which cats fed a diet artifically depleted in arginine
(while still supplied with all the other amino acids) would die of
convulsions within hours. With that level of weirdness I wouldn't
want to take the risk.

There are lots of herpes viruses and they don't all respond to lysine
in humans anyway.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====

CatNipped

Oct 24, 2008, 11:56:01 AM10/24/08
"Jack Campin - bogus address" <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

But L-Lysine doesn't attack arginine or effect the levels of arginine in the
bloodstream. It only interferes with the herpes virus absorbing the
arginine in order to reproduce. That's exactly why it is recommended by
vets.

I wouldn't recommend something that I haven't used safely for many years.
Just like any OTC drug or herbal remedy it can be misused and abused, but
the amino acid L-Lysine is perfectly safe to use when used correctly. My
vet, whom I trust completely, highly recommends this solution to URIs even
over antibiotics (which only kill bacteria, fungi or protozoa, not viruses,
and are over-used, which can be dangerous in their own right).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Will in New Haven

Oct 24, 2008, 1:31:10 PM10/24/08
Purrs for Kenzie

--
Will in New Haven
“Whiskey - I like it, I always did, and that is the reason I never use

Steve Touchstone

Oct 24, 2008, 3:06:37 PM10/24/08
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 06:16:25 GMT, g.ga...@lycos.com (Gandalf) wrote:

>Kenzie can haz some purrs? Please?

<snip>
purrs on the way for Kenzie's eyes

>On a better note: I have managed to slim Kenzie down from 11 lbs 8 oz
>(5.21kg) to 10lb. 5 oz (4.68kg.)
>
>TED says this is a 'much better' weight for Kenzie.
>
>Kenzie doesn't agree: she's hungry a lot :(
>
>Poor Kenzie :(

from Little Bit: humph!!! one of the reasons for the 'E' in TED is
their silly insistence on starving us poor felines.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby

bastX...@sonic.net

Oct 24, 2008, 3:38:34 PM10/24/08
Jack Campin - bogus address <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> there is a
> syndrome in which cats fed a diet artifically depleted in arginine
> (while still supplied with all the other amino acids) would die of
> convulsions within hours.

Ugh, I don't even want to think about how this was discovered! :(

--
Joyce ^..^

Kyla =^..^=

Oct 24, 2008, 4:41:43 PM10/24/08

"Gandalf" ...

Awww, poor Kenzie. Purrs for her to be healed.
Give her a scritch for me, please
Kyla

polonca12000

Nov 1, 2008, 6:36:55 PM11/1/08

Lots and lots of purrs for Kenzie and you, Gandalf,
Polonca and Soncek