incense and parrots

James Weber

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 00:53:58 GMT, Angel...@yahoo.com wrote:

>I know that scented candles are bad for parrots, but would it hurt them
>to be in the same house (not room) where natural-product incense is
>burning? it consists of crushed herbs and a little wood fiber.....
>
>tia,
>angela

Combustion products and birds are a bad combination, period. Makes no
difference whether they are from candles, kerosine heaters, unvented
gas heaters, or incense....

Angel...@yahoo.com

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
I know that scented candles are bad for parrots, but would it hurt them
to be in the same house (not room) where natural-product incense is
burning? it consists of crushed herbs and a little wood fiber.....

tia,
angela

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Toucanldy

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00

>From: Angel...@yahoo.com

>I know that scented candles are bad for parrots, but would it hurt them
>to be in the same house (not room) where natural-product incense is
>burning? it consists of crushed herbs and a little wood fiber.....
>
>tia,
>angela

Here is some info regarding incense and birds.
http://www.exoticbird.com/gillian/incense.html
Regards

Angel...@yahoo.com

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
yikes!! thanks guys, I'm glad I asked first!

Kellie

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
I'm going to catch hell for this, but I use incense in my house and I have
birds. I don't use it in the same room and I do have a large house, so
admittedly this isn't the same as an apartment dweller burning incense in
the same room with a bird. I've even burned smudge sticks in my house.
(Those are big wads of aromatic herbs tied tightly together and burned as
one does with incense.) Actually I think smudge sticks have an advantage
in that they don't include the extra stuff incense has to bind it and give
it scent. They're all natural, but they smoke more, so they have that
problem. Use incense and candles with caution and common sense if at all.
Don't put them right next to the bird's cage. Inside the cage is a really
bad idea. :-)
And of course, if in doubt don't try it.

--
Kellie
Final Portrait * A Novel by Kellie Sisson Snider

Andee

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Kellie wrote:

> I'm going to catch hell for this, but I use incense in my house and I have
> birds.

You won't catch hell, Kellie. I think it depends on the type of
incense. I burn smudge sticks which I make myself from sage I find in the
mountains. My clients love this but I never burn it in the same room as
the birds. It is free of chemicals so I don't worry. Incense is another
matter. There are some that make me cough. I burn that which is not
strong and I get at Wild Oats. My favorite is patchouli (sorry,
I cut my wisdom teeth on patchouli and musk oils) I know people who smoke
around their birds and their birds are fine but I would not allow smoking
in the house, regardless. There was a man I was vaguely acquainted with
who used to blow pot smoke into his AG's face and he thought it was a riot
that the bird got high. I don't know that birds get high, but that is
another story for another time.

Andee

Karen

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
I am guilty of candles and I burn one here with the birds in this room. Mind
you I think the word might be abuse too as how manyone burns at one time. Some
people like to burn tons of candles at a time. Sometimes an incense is burned
as well, and sometimes air spray, but never right at them and not enough that it
has caused harm. I will from here on in be a little more cautious, but my older
tiel here is 20 years old and I haven't lost anyone due to this.

Karen

Andee wrote:

--
Karen

Take a peek at my Baby Cockatiels and my other birds.

262.5/206.5/150..1/4/99 - 7/18/99 MGL -57 lbs
215/205.5/??Anything is better. 3/20/2000

http://hometown.aol.com/kmo53153/bryce2.html

Kevin Chu

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
Andee wrote:

> I know people who smoke around their birds and their birds
> are fine

While the birds may not drop dead right away, you know without any
doubt that smoking has a cumulative detrimental effect on humans. You
should see the anti-smoking commercials we get here in Canada, showing
autopsies of smokers, squeezing guck out of arteries like brown
toothpaste, showing lungs, and brains with blobs of congealed blood in
them that fall out when you cut the brain with a knife. You also know
that birds are a lot smaller and more sensitive to airborne pollutants
than humans are.

Now you decide whether or not it is okay to smoke around birds.

Kevin

--
Kevin Chu
ke...@portal.ca

Kellie

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
> > I'm going to catch hell for this, but I use incense in my house and I have
> > birds.
>
> You won't catch hell, Kellie. I think it depends on the type of
> incense. I burn smudge sticks which I make myself from sage I find in the
> mountains.

That's what mine are- only without the mountains. They are natural dried sage
and lavendar.

> My clients love this but I never burn it in the same room as the birds. It
> is free of chemicals so I don't worry.

Indeed. Obviously one wouldn't want to expose the birds directly to the smoke,
but the indirect scent is not a problem.

> Incense is another matter. There are some that make me cough. I burn that
> which is not
> strong and I get at Wild Oats. My favorite is patchouli (sorry, I cut my

> wisdom teeth on patchouli and musk oils) I know people who smoke around their

> birds and their birds are fine but I would not allow smoking in the house,
> regardless.

I agree. I do burn incense in the house, but I burn natural kinds, not the
kinds that have lots of artificial scents.

> There was a man I was vaguely acquainted with who used to blow pot smoke into
> his AG's face and he thought it was a riot that the bird got high. I don't
> know that birds get high, but that is another story for another time.

I, too, had friends who were that idiotic and did it with their cats and dogs.
I think that's unfair to them. They don't understand what's happening to them.
Even if the human in question enjoys it, no telling how it affects the other
species. It always made me mondo paranoid, and I'd hate to add to a bird's
paranoia. (I haven't participated in said activity in enough years that some of
you were probably not born yet at the time.)

Kellie

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
I don't think Andee was saying it was okay, just that people do it without
any short term affects. I agree that it's not a great plan. There are
people who believe that smoking has increased the instances of asthma and
allergies in children in the last few decades. I think many things have
contributed to this, but surely smoking gets its share of the blame.

Kevin Chu wrote:

> Andee wrote:
>
> > I know people who smoke around their birds and their birds
> > are fine
>

> While the birds may not drop dead right away, you know without any
> doubt that smoking has a cumulative detrimental effect on humans. You
> should see the anti-smoking commercials we get here in Canada, showing
> autopsies of smokers, squeezing guck out of arteries like brown
> toothpaste, showing lungs, and brains with blobs of congealed blood in
> them that fall out when you cut the brain with a knife. You also know
> that birds are a lot smaller and more sensitive to airborne pollutants
> than humans are.
>
> Now you decide whether or not it is okay to smoke around birds.
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Chu
> ke...@portal.ca
> http://super_kevin.tripod.com/
> 6BBC816E B3A1D61C 76E0D5D3 7528D503 0B08 D678

Andee

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Kellie wrote:

> I, too, had friends who were that idiotic and did it with their cats and dogs.
> I think that's unfair to them. They don't understand what's happening to them.
> Even if the human in question enjoys it, no telling how it affects the other
> species. It always made me mondo paranoid, and I'd hate to add to a bird's
> paranoia. (I haven't participated in said activity in enough years that some of
> you were probably not born yet at the time.)

I have seen that, too. Especially cats. I think the cats rather enjoyed
it, but I would prefer to give them catnip. Once, in the 80's, I was on
holiday, and four of my five kids were still at home. Years later I heard
the story of how they made funny brownies and Amy the Collie ate half the
batch, quite by "accident" of course. Amy seemed OK then but died within
two years. I often wonder........

Kellie

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
Well... two years... who knows, but it was probably not the brownies. I mean, my dog
eats cat box bars. My husband's Dalmation used to get out of the fence once in a
while and the things he would throw up the next day were astounding- pieces of chain,
plastic bags, a whole onion... He lived to be 15.

Kevin Chu

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
Andee wrote:

> I was never blessed with seeing arteries or brains in the
> conditions that Kevin mentioned!

I forgot to mention that 1) the commercials and ads we get in Canada
are not like the ones from the states, because we have
truth-in-advertising laws up here, and 2) at the end of the
commercials, there's narration about "this is a brain/artery/bit out
of a xxx-year-old smoker" and the smoker was always in the 20s or 30s
when he/she died.

Mmmmm, toothpaste! And about the brain, after seeing that blob of
gunk fall out of that brain it makes you think twice about ever going
to another place where they allow smoking, even if you don't smoke
yourself.

Kevin

108C8F7D 2E27083A 820F7A3E 5F4D26A4 730F 37C6

Kellie

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
> I forgot to mention that 1) the commercials and ads we get in Canada
> are not like the ones from the states, because we have
> truth-in-advertising laws up here,

We have them here, too. Unfortunately we also have lots of law suits
when companies whine that they can't do whatever they want. Which means
the laws don't mean anything.

> and 2) at the end of the commercials, there's narration about "this is
> a brain/artery/bit out
> of a xxx-year-old smoker" and the smoker was always in the 20s or 30s
> when he/she died.

Really? We only get a statement that: Smoking may be hazardous to your
health and cause birth defects, and other similar "warnings".

> Mmmmm, toothpaste! And about the brain, after seeing that blob of
> gunk fall out of that brain it makes you think twice about ever going
> to another place where they allow smoking, even if you don't smoke
> yourself.

Yum! Does it work? Have your smoking rates dropped?

Kevin Chu

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Kellie wrote:

> > I forgot to mention that 1) the commercials and ads we get in Canada
> > are not like the ones from the states, because we have
> > truth-in-advertising laws up here,
>
> We have them here, too. Unfortunately we also have lots of law suits
> when companies whine that they can't do whatever they want. Which means
> the laws don't mean anything.

I don't remember for sure, but I think there's a difference in concept
or something that makes the laws have different effects. Onus on one
party or the other, etc..

> Yum! Does it work? Have your smoking rates dropped?

Don't know. But I do know that I am ALL FOR the new laws that ban
smoking in public places! More and more places are smoke free now,
and some pub owners think that their customers want to be able to
smoke so they don't like it, but .... Lotsa politics, not about
birds.

Kevin

DE28B3DE 84F4F793 AD1E9868 1ACFE42B 353F 80D0

Kellie

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
There are only a few places left where you can smoke around here, too, which
is great. So I guess that means we could take our parrots out to eat if we
wanted to.

holly.sh...@gmail.com

May 13, 2017, 3:09:17 PM5/13/17
On Wednesday, April 12, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, James Weber wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 00:53:58 GMT, Angel...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >I know that scented candles are bad for parrots, but would it hurt them
> >to be in the same house (not room) where natural-product incense is
> >burning? it consists of crushed herbs and a little wood fiber.....
> >
> >tia,
> >angela
> >
> Combustion products and birds are a bad combination, period. Makes no
> difference whether they are from candles, kerosine heaters, unvented
> gas heaters, or incense....

I have burned scented soy candle wax with my birds present for years. My last bird passed away at 14 yrs. old. I would like to burn no-chemical incense and
may try a bit at first, carefully monitoring my bird's behaviour (coughing?)

A word to those who blow various kinds of smoke in your pets faces. Really???
How stupid you need to resort to this to be entertained. These pets are helpless and depend on you to take good care of them. That's disgusting.

noo...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2018, 10:21:05 AM2/10/18
===

Sorry- but you do NOT burn anything around your birds, period!

Especially stuf that relies on geting everywhere to 'spread the fragrance' - are you really that far out of your mind?

All those miniscule particles to irritate and inflame the delicate breathing apparatus of a bird-- even now dedicated scientist are struggling to understand the amazing way this all functions (airsacks and lungs), and you decide to fuck it up 'because they did not die right away the last time'.
That is the same as: "Of course you can lock kids in a car on an hot day- no problem, most of the time they are not even completely dead when you return".

You KNOW it is potentially harmfull and even deadly to the one who has absolutely no choice in the matter, but what the hell- you'll do it anyway??

So much for 'caring for and loving your pets'... :rolleyes:

joshuao...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2020, 6:57:07 PM3/24/20
On Wednesday, April 12, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, James Weber wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 00:53:58 GMT, Angel...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >I know that scented candles are bad for parrots, but would it hurt them
> >to be in the same house (not room) where natural-product incense is
> >burning? it consists of crushed herbs and a little wood fiber.....
> >
> >tia,
> >angela
> >
> Combustion products and birds are a bad combination, period. Makes no
> difference whether they are from candles, kerosine heaters, unvented
> gas heaters, or incense....

wigla