Sun conure losing tail feathers

Message has been deleted

Owly

Apr 5, 2002, 10:44:56 AM4/5/02
Parrots molt, or lose, feathers every so often. Then they grow new ones to
replace them.

owly

"I.P.Owner" <investmental...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Our Sun Conure, a delightful bird to everyone except the dog, is, all
> of a sudden, losing tail feathers. We have found three now on the
> bottom of his cage. I see no evidence of violence or trapping in cage
> corners.
>
> My question is this. Can the tail feathers ever just fall out on
> their own? If they do, is it always a sign of something wrong? Is he
> possibly sick? He is as loud, cheerful and active as ever.

Charles Paluda

Apr 5, 2002, 11:31:08 AM4/5/02
"I.P.Owner" wrote:

> Our Sun Conure, a delightful bird to everyone except the dog, is, all
> of a sudden, losing tail feathers. We have found three now on the
> bottom of his cage. I see no evidence of violence or trapping in cage
> corners.
>
> My question is this. Can the tail feathers ever just fall out on
> their own? If they do, is it always a sign of something wrong? Is he
> possibly sick? He is as loud, cheerful and active as ever.

How old is he? My Meyer's started his first major molt.....where flight and
tail feathers come out........at about 9 months old. So he may just be molting
as Owly suggested.

Charles
--
Head Papershuffler
Paper Airplane Division

pam clarke

Apr 5, 2002, 2:55:56 PM4/5/02
I.P.Owner wrote:

>Our Sun Conure, a delightful bird to everyone except the dog, is, all
>of a sudden, losing tail feathers. We have found three now on the
>bottom of his cage. I see no evidence of violence or trapping in cage
>corners.
>
>My question is this. Can the tail feathers ever just fall out on
>their own? If they do, is it always a sign of something wrong? Is he
>possibly sick? He is as loud, cheerful and active as ever.

Is it moulting?? Most of mine are at the moment. I save feathers and
make dream catchers with them.

Jynx

Apr 5, 2002, 5:44:51 PM4/5/02

"pam clarke" <oldm...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Is it moulting?? Most of mine are at the moment. I save feathers and
> make dream catchers with them.

How would he know if it's molting when he obviously has no clue what it is.
If he had a clue, he would not have asked if tail feathers ever "just fall
out"

--

--Jynx--
Do something about 'yourattitude' to reply via e-mail

Margaret Russel

Apr 6, 2002, 8:50:52 PM4/6/02
> My question is this. Can the tail feathers ever just fall out on
> their own? If they do, is it always a sign of something wrong? Is he
> possibly sick? He is as loud, cheerful and active as ever.

I have come up with 2 possible answers:

1) Tail feathers and all kinds of other feathers on the cage floor +
the bird has some noticable "pin" feathers = molting season. Quite
normal.
2) Tail feathers + no other kinds of feathers on cage floor = possible
tail feather picking? Something bad.

Margaret Russel

--

Life is too short.

franci...@gmail.com

May 3, 2020, 1:44:55 PM5/3/20
My bird is loseing her breast feathers can you tell me why and what to do ?