What is Your Bird Afraid Of?

Gloria Heim

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!

What is your bird afraid of?

My husband, after doing some gardening, tried to approach Gus (TAG) with
dirty hands. Gus jumped up and grumbled and cried/whined like a baby
(you grey owners know the sound I mean).

Dirty hands ... hmmm

Shirley/Rick

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

> I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
> see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!
>
> What is your bird afraid of?

T-shirts with *faces* on them. I have one with this cartoon-type face on
the sun and another filled w/different poses of Marvin-the-Martian ...
when I wear either of those two shirts, my pet yellow-nape goes bonkers,
thinking they are real "beings" of some kind!!!

and ...

our contractor/friend!! Our CAG is completely well-adjusted and confident
around EVERYONE that has ever entered our home ... except our
contractor/friend. He flutters to the bottom of the cage and squeals,
making that sound you described in your post. We've tried to come up with
the reason why Louie (the CAG) thinks of Hector (the contractor) any
differently than anyone else, but can't figure it out. It's not the tool
belt, cuz Hector has come over without it and he still does that! Who
knows!?

I vaguely remember the last thread with this subject--very entertaining.

--Shirley

Bruce

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

We bird sat a cocktail several weeks ago, He loved me when I was clean, but
would bite at me after working out in the yard, coincidence?

Mad Viking

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Bruce wrote:
> We bird sat a cocktail several weeks ago, He loved me when I was clean, but
> would bite at me after working out in the yard, coincidence?
> Shirley/Rick wrote in message ...
> >In article <352023F7...@us.ibm.com>, gh...@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >
>> What is your bird afraid of?
> >
> >T-shirts with *faces* on them. Marvin-the-Martian ...

> >when I wear either of those two shirts, my pet yellow-nape goes bonkers,
> >thinking they are real "beings" of some kind!!!
> >
> >and ...
> >I vaguely remember the last thread with this subject--very entertaining.
> >--Shirley

I have two Indian Ring Necks I bought the Male (Mctavish) when he was
only 8 weeks old, in 92. last year I bought a female (MIMI) to keep him
company when My-self or the rest of the family is out. MIMI loves my
wife and will let her stroke her back and her belly, and will even come
to her when she is called by her, but when me or my son goes near the
cage she trys to bite us through the bars. We let her out all the time
and when she flutters down to the floor she will let me pick her up and
after I put her back in she again trys to bite me so I think shes afraid
of men. BTW shes not to crazy about Mctavish.
--
"The Reality of one, Are the Dreams of many."
"Brave are the hearts that beat

Frederick Wilson

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Gloria Heim wrote:

> I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
> see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!
>
> What is your bird afraid of?
>
> My husband, after doing some gardening, tried to approach Gus (TAG) with
> dirty hands. Gus jumped up and grumbled and cried/whined like a baby
> (you grey owners know the sound I mean).
>
> Dirty hands ... hmmm

I've posted this before, but here goes anyway. Gomez is afraid of
bananas. Pulped banana is OK, peeled whole banane he hisses and hacks
at,but he seems to think the whole fruit is some sort of yellow monster
to be gotten away from as far and fast as possible.

Ta
FAW

Frederick Wilson

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98
oops, forgot to mention Gomez is a 'tiel so the bananas are big enough
to represent a credable threat

TA
FAW

Gttadnce

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

ChaCha(Eleanora Cockatoo) is afraid of butterflies. You would think they're
trying to kill him the way he acts-crest up,bobbing back and forth,
schreeching. He also acted that way the first time he ever saw one of his down
feathers floating around the room. Of course he's more grown up now and has
figured that one out
!>> > What is your bird afraid of?

Gtta...@aol.com

R2MNot

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

My keet, Jack is afraid of balloons. I had a big red heart helium balloon
in the house around Valentine's Day and whenever it would float anywhere
near his cage -- Jack would freak out! He kept a constant eye on it, and I
finally had to put it in the other end of the house. Other than that, he's
been a brave little chicken!!!

Gloria Heim <gh...@us.ibm.com> wrote in article
<352023F7...@us.ibm.com>...

> I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
> see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!
>

> What is your bird afraid of?

SILK4ME356

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

> What is your bird afraid of?
> Cody, my 2 year old Blue & Gold Macaw is afraid of pigeons. I have several
bird feeders hanging from the patio and his cage is near the window, whenever
he sees a pigeon he screams and yells "ouch". I have no idea why......but I
still laugh

Christine & Cody (My feathered treasure)
Do unto others, and run like hell. Be careful I might run faster than you.

CricketRAH

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Buster, my newest bird, a BFA isn't afraid off much, as long as it is
introduced slowly. I changed the towel in his carrier last month and when I
lowered him to the table to crawl inside, he bit me hard! He would not go into
that carrier!! He doesn't like me to wear a towel on my head either, but I
usually wear one of the blue ones... so I can tell him 'See, now I am a blue
fronted amazon too!" ha!

>Subject: Re: What is Your Bird Afraid Of?

Liz

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

My bird is afraid of the color red and the vaccum/broom. Liz

MAMABIRD

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Anything that's a dark color, but especially black clothing or objects.
Bought a new camera hoping to get some cute pics of them...........
forget it! The minute they see that camera in my hand they freak! Oh no!
Here comes the evil camera monster and it's going to KILL US!!!! ha Most
of them have gotten a little bit used to it now, but one CAG still
throws a fit. Only got one picture of him and it looks like it'll be the
last one.
And don't even THINK about going into their room wearing a dark blue or
black shirt. The feathers really fly! A typical conversation:

Person: Can I come see your birds?
Me: Sure! But don't wear a dark shirt.
Person: Why?
Me: Because it will scare them.
Person: Why?
Me: I don't know why. It just will.
Person: But the only clean shirt I have is black.
Me: Then wear a dirty shirt.
Person: I don't want to wear a dirty shirt in public!
Me: Then you'll have to do the laundry before you come over.
Person: I don't have TIME to do laundry!
Me: Then you can't come over.
Person: Boy! Birds are weird!
Me: Yeah.................. :-)
(And they get me out of having a lot of company! hehehe)

One CAG, Safari, is afraid of purple grapes. He'll eat any grape except
a purple one. Put one in his bowl and he runs screaming to the opposite
side of the cage. STRANGE!
--
"MAMABIRD"
----------------

jly...@atl.mindspring.com

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

> What is your bird afraid of?

Unfortunately--table food! I have never had a budgie that would not eat
table food that was good for him, like rice and vegetables. Bandit will
not approach any type of food other than his own, even if offered to him
in the tiniest piece (like one grain of rice).

Yet he's not afraid of sitting on on the edge of a 12-inch embroidery hoop,
sitting on the newspaper when I turn the pages, books, or most other
large things you would THINK a small bird would be afraid of.

Drives me NUTS.

Linda

Paul Chefurka

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Gloria Heim wrote:

> I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
> see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!
>

> What is your bird afraid of?

Our budgie is afraid of flies. Whenever he sees one he starts ducking
and running around with his head twisted sideways so he can keep
track of it. The funniest thing is, he's also terrified of the fly
swatter.
So if a fly gets into the room, he's got a BIG problem :-)

He's also nervous about my brother-in-law's Springer Spaniel,
but that's because the dog retrieved him once. So I kind of
understand that!

Paul

Cydel

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Hi All,

My TAG, Pete, is afraid of ladders. The small bird kind. He will squeal,
jump to the bottom of the cage and growl. I but it next to his cage for
several weeks so he could see it and get used to it, NO WAY !!!!

Cynthia

Rkeith

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

I have a 3 yr old B&G, and she hates cameras! She will run to the other
side of her cage and "peek" at me until I put the camera up.(I hope my
photographer brother-in-law can get a good picture of her this Spring!) She
also hates her halter. When she sees me get it out, she will play "hard to
get", but after I get it on her, (she lets me put it on her after I catch
her), then she knows that we are going for a walk, and she is "ok" then.
When I pick up the fly swatter, she will run for cover! When I do dishes,
she has a fit if I don't take her in the kitchen with me, but when she
watches me do dishes, she will mumble, as she sits on my shoulder, and try
to bite the dishes. If she hears a glass "squeak" as I wash it, she will
whistle to it. It is so funny!!! I hope you had a good laugh out of this!!
RKeith

Roger Pariseau

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Gloria Heim wrote:

> I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
> see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!
>
> What is your bird afraid of?

Our blue crown conure, Petey, is afraid of millet spray!!! One day after we
adopted him I tried to give him a spray after tossing one into the 'tiels'
cage. Petey backed away like I was trying to hand him the scythe of death. I
even took him over to the tiels and let him watch them go crazy over the stuff.
Nothing doing. Petey still is afraid of millet spray.

He isn't afraid of _anything_ else!

--
Roger

Katybirdtx

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

My bird is afraid of the broom or mop when I clean the kitchen floor and walk
past him with either the broom or mop. I have a quaker parrot.

FM46to91

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

My birds are simply terrified of the Terminix man who comes to spray for ants
once a month. He looks like he's wearing a combat/oxygen mask so I can hardly
blame them!

Tim and Denise Antler

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Paul Chefurka wrote:

> Gloria Heim wrote:
>
> > I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
> > see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!
> >
> > What is your bird afraid of?
> >

> Our budgie is afraid of flies. Whenever he sees one he starts ducking
> and running around with his head twisted sideways so he can keep
> track of it. The funniest thing is, he's also terrified of the fly
> swatter.
> So if a fly gets into the room, he's got a BIG problem :-)
>
> He's also nervous about my brother-in-law's Springer Spaniel,
> but that's because the dog retrieved him once. So I kind of
> understand that!
>
> Paul

My cockatiels are afraid of nail polish. I can't wear any until now. I
have nail polish that is clear indoors but as soon as I'm exposed to UV
light, they turn cranberry.

Jeckyl, my Amazon, isn't easily as scared but I do know that crowds scare
him as well as the totem poles that were next to our booth at the last Home
and Garden Show. Poor baby. Tim immediately drove him home. Good thing
we didn't live very far.

Denise Antler - BFBS Webmaster
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/5470/

Alex Clayton

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

I feed wild birds in the front yard. Some times my birds will get up on
the windowsill to look outside.A couple times a crow or a seagull has
landed in the yard and they would go nuts.

"You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
>Lazarus Long 1916-4272

gwen

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

My U2 is afraid of me when I have hair coloring in my hair. She raises her crest and
sways back in forth. I guess I must look like a monster with my hair all piled up with
gook all over it! Well I know I do!

Cheers,
Gwen

gwen

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

My sun conure goes nuts as well, whenever she sees the wild birds at the feeders!
Screeches to high heavens!

Cheers,
Gwen

joy

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Aside from me, my birds are afraid of my cieling fan. I have to cover the
cage if I want to turn it on.

joy & & &
cyt...@aol.com

Shirley/Rick

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> My U2 is afraid of me when I have hair coloring in my hair. She raises
her crest and
> sways back in forth. I guess I must look like a monster with my hair all
piled up with
> gook all over it! Well I know I do!

Gwen--I'm glad you cleared that up ... now we can all quit wondering,
"does she? or doesn't she?" :)

I almost never enter the bird room when my head is in the towel (of course
I've only *washed* my hair!!!!), but the few times I have, they all kinda
stop what they're doing and give me that "uh...who the heck is *that*?"
look until I *say* something to them, and then it's back to
business-as-usual.

--Shirley

Ken Schuller

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

You would think that QP's would like corncobs, esp. with all the feral
QP communities here in the US. I made the mistake of buying a few of
the dried ones over at my local feed supplier, and my QP is _deathly_
afraid of the things. We wound up tossing 'em in the backyard for the
blackbirds. :)

Ken

Ken Schuller

In computing because it beats working for a living.

I speak for myself. Remove the obvious spam foil to reply via e-mail.

Ken Schuller

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Doh! One other one I forgot to mention- You can't approach either of
my birds while wearing eyeglasses or sunglasses- they go on
information overload and either try to attack or cower in the back of
the cage... Weird little critters... :)

Andrew Mccrary Parker

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

We live in a forth floor apartment with a good view of downtown
Pittsburgh. That said, one day as we were sitting in the living room
watching TV, our dusky-headed conure let out a screech to wake the dead
and flew screaming into the bathroom. Concerned, we followed and found
him huddling on the floor in the corner. Bewildered, we came back out
to see what scared him. Flying over Three-Rivers Stadium was the
Goodyear Blimp. Must've been the biggest flying thing he's ever seen!

Andy

Kellie

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Oh, and Shake is also scared of having the furniture rearranged. Yesterday I had the
birds outside while painting the house and when I brought them in in the evening the
furniture was rearranged. Shake found this most disconcerting... didn't bother the
budgies at all.

--
Kellie Sisson-Snider ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always be kind to animals, Morning, noon and night:

Kellie

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> Aside from me, my birds are afraid of my cieling fan. I have to cover the
> cage if I want to turn it on.

I used to have English budgies who loved sitting on the ceiling fan! (Turned
off of course!)

Richard Murray

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <6fstdq$omc$1...@newsd-124.bryant.webtv.net>, Alex...@webtv.net (Alex Clayton) wrote:
>I feed wild birds in the front yard. Some times my birds will get up on
>the windowsill to look outside.A couple times a crow or a seagull has
>landed in the yard and they would go nuts.
>
>"You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
>"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
>>Lazarus Long 1916-4272

Same for my 'tiels.
They scream at the Pale-headed and Crimson Rosellas, try to communicate with
the Rainbow Lorikeets, stare at the Magpies, but are panicked by the Crows and
have only just gotten used to the flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos that
recently discovered the feeders.
["Gosh mate, look at the size of those Cockatiels outside!!" (said with much
head bobbing and crest raising)].

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Richard Murray (r.mu...@qut.edu.au)
Queensland University of Technology
Brisbane, Australia

Stacy

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Liz wrote:

> My bird is afraid of the color red and the vaccum/broom. Liz

Our tiels are also afraid of the color red.

They are also afraid of the duck beanie baby I have sitting on top of
the computer. Whenever they start heading towards the mouse cord (they
LOVE to chew on the mouse cord!), I set the duck down on the cord and
they back away... slowly...

Our tiels never really act "afraid" per se (no squawking or running) but
they do back away and their feathers get real sleek so that they look
like little weasels. [my son says they look like exclamation points!]

--
---
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Susan-Jillian Smith

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

What are my birdies afraid of?

2 barred parakeets, 1 budgie and 1 cockatiel,
are all terrified of my TV remote control.
The barred parakeets will attack it, or who ever is holding it.
Also anything that is red, and the vacuume.

And Flies.
The little cowards.

susan

SUE DOE1

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

My tiel, Roxi is afraid of towels. Linen, paper, napkins, etc. She tries to
bite them,moves away and screams. She is also afraid of the bicycles.
However, she is not afraid of the ceiling fan and will fly under it whenever
its on.

SUE DOE1

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

I forgot to mention that my tiels are also afraid of my pig nose. I have a pig
costume and whenever I put on the nose, they run away terrified!

mama...@hotmail.com

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <199804020734...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

sue...@aol.com (SUE DOE1) wrote:

>I have a pig
> costume and whenever I put on the nose, they run away terrified!

Well who wouldn't!!!!!!!
ROTFLMAO

"MAMABIRD"

-----
I'm Out Of Estrogen
..... And I Have A Gun!

MAMABIRD

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Really? My birds think my glasses are a toy I hang on my face just for
them to play with.............
--
"MAMABIRD"
----------------

I'm Out Of Estrogen
..... And I Have A Gun!
***********************

Gloria Heim

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

> Mine too! I received a nasty nip on my fingertip from Gomez (my wild
> child) when wearing RED nailpolish ... never again!

Gloria Heim

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

> We have some winners!

First place for the FREAKED-OUT bird award goes to:

Susan Jillian Smith's Barred Parakeets ... afraid of a Remote Control

Second place goes to:

Frederick Wilson's Tiel Gomez ... afraid fo Bananas

Third place goes to:

Paul Chefurka's Tiel ... afraid of flies???

Can't' figure out those tiels!!

Yet more things that endear our skiddish little creatures to us!
Gloria

Ken Schuller

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

On Thu, 02 Apr 1998 13:50:21 GMT, "MAMABIRD"
<mama...@nest.atlantic.net> wrote:

>Really? My birds think my glasses are a toy I hang on my face just for
>them to play with.............
>--
>"MAMABIRD"
>----------------
>I'm Out Of Estrogen
>..... And I Have A Gun!

If they're out of the cage (on my shoulder or what have you), then
they treat 'em like toys- but approach the cage with sunglasses
on.... :)

Ken

>***********************
>Ken Schuller wrote in message <6ftkfh$i...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...
>>You can't approach either of
>>my birds while wearing eyeglasses or sunglasses- they go on
>>information overload and either try to attack or cower in the back of
>>the cage... Weird little critters... :)
>>
>>Ken
>>
>>Ken Schuller
>>
>>In computing because it beats working for a living.
>>===================================================

Ken Schuller

In computing because it beats working for a living.

I speak for myself. Remove the obvious spam foil to reply via e-mail.

Shirley/Rick

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <6g08u4$oh6$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, mama...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Well who wouldn't!!!!!!!
> ROTFLMAO
>
> "MAMABIRD"

Sue--what in the world is the pig costume for???? Never mind...I don't
think I want to know! LOL!

Did you guys ever read about that endangered crane project (I can't
remember exactly where in the U.S. it was). The people participating
dressed in crane outfits when feeding the baby cranes that were not being
cared for by their parents so that the baby cranes would imprint BIRDS,
not humans. Of course, it makes perfect sense, and the project was very
successful, but I couldn't help but laugh at the image it conjured up! I'm
sure your pig costume is for something similar, right???

--Shirley

gwen

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Shirley/Rick wrote:

> > My U2 is afraid of me when I have hair coloring in my hair. She raises
> her crest and
> > sways back in forth. I guess I must look like a monster with my hair all
> piled up with
> > gook all over it! Well I know I do!
>
> Gwen--I'm glad you cleared that up ... now we can all quit wondering,
> "does she? or doesn't she?" :)

ROFL! Actually on my dads side of the family everyone gets premature gray at a very
early age. Unfortunately I did inherit this! Been coloring since early 20's! My younger
brother has been completely gray since he was about 28! Now, I have far exceeded the
premature part, but I have no intention on going gray anytime soon. Just change the
color now and then for fun!

> I almost never enter the bird room when my head is in the towel (of course
> I've only *washed* my hair!!!!), but the few times I have, they all kinda
> stop what they're doing and give me that "uh...who the heck is *that*?"
> look until I *say* something to them, and then it's back to
> business-as-usual.

I know that look well! I usually don't wrap my hair in a towel so they are used to seeing
me with wet hair. It is when ever I do put up in a towel or whatever that they really give
me that look of "uh??? who is that?

> --Shirley

Cheers,
Gwen

gwen

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Liz wrote:

> My bird is afraid of the color red and the vaccum/broom. Liz

My sun conure hates the broom/vacuum or mop. Cisco also hates and despises red finger
nail polish. She has no problem with blue, purple or other colors just reds and oranges!
She won't get near me if I'm wearing red nail polish.

Cheers,
Gwen

gwen

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Katybirdtx wrote:

> My bird is afraid of the broom or mop when I clean the kitchen floor and walk
> past him with either the broom or mop. I have a quaker parrot.

My son conure is also afraid of both of those as well as the vacuum. Now my quaker is
fearless. I have yet to find anything that Sammy is afraid of.

Cheers,
Gwen

Diane Brunet

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

My too is afraid of bugs and budgies.

Diane Brunet

kdawn

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98
to gh...@us.ibm.com

I use to have my nails done and they would paint them red and when i would
get home and go to put my hand out they would all freak out from the red
color....i would find them scattered everywhere in the house. This was not
good so i stopped with the red nail polish. Oh, and i use to use the kids
brightly colored bandaids....that would have the same effect so i changed
that also. Scaring them can cause them to take flight and hurt themselves.
And mine, even with the wings clipped got so frightened they
flew.........bless their little feathered butts!

Gloria Heim wrote:

> I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
> see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!
>
> What is your bird afraid of?
>
> My husband, after doing some gardening, tried to approach Gus (TAG) with
> dirty hands. Gus jumped up and grumbled and cried/whined like a baby
> (you grey owners know the sound I mean).
>
> Dirty hands ... hmmm

dan copenhaver

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

My M2 is afraid of sticks. Any old stick, broom, shovel, tree branch,
PVC pipe. If you are holding it he,s afraid of it. I suspect he was
abused with them at one time. Dan

Susan-Jillian Smith

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

Thank you everyone,
I accept this honour in the name of Ollie and Daisy, the originators of
the Remote control anxiety.
And in the name of Pearly and Roxy for imitating this fear.
Where would we be without them!
Thank you,
susan

Ray Pfaff

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

Gloria Heim <gh...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> We have some winners!
>
>First place for the FREAKED-OUT bird award goes to:
>
>Susan Jillian Smith's Barred Parakeets ... afraid of a Remote Control
>
>Second place goes to:
>
>Frederick Wilson's Tiel Gomez ... afraid fo Bananas
>
>Third place goes to:
>
>Paul Chefurka's Tiel ... afraid of flies???
>
>Can't' figure out those tiels!!
>
>Yet more things that endear our skiddish little creatures to us!
>Gloria

Gloria, tiels can be afraid of stray air molecules :-)

To reply to me, replace "yar" with "ray

Repro

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

Gloria, what is millet spray??

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:11:12 -0800, Roger Pariseau <gri...@west.net>
wrote:

>Gloria Heim wrote:
>>
>> I started this thread about a year ago and got a great response and I
>> see a bunch of new names so I'll try again!
>>
>> What is your bird afraid of?
>

>Our blue crown conure, Petey, is afraid of millet spray!!! One day after we
>adopted him I tried to give him a spray after tossing one into the 'tiels'
>cage. Petey backed away like I was trying to hand him the scythe of death. I
>even took him over to the tiels and let him watch them go crazy over the stuff.
>Nothing doing. Petey still is afraid of millet spray.
>
>He isn't afraid of _anything_ else!

SueAnninFL

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

>From: r...@pro.net (Repro)
>Date: Sun, Apr 5, 1998 15:42 EDT

>Gloria, what is millet spray??

Repro - do you really not know what millet spray is? I hope someone else will
come across this and answer it .

As to what are my birds afraid of?

All 3 of my lovebirds are afraid of hats - people wearing hats, even my humpty
dumpty stuffed animal who doesn't even technically wear a hat.

They also seem to be afraid of large things, like large boxes.

William D Sands

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

Our boy Alphonso is afraid of my razor, toothbrush, towel, and a variety of
foods that we try to give him. He's afraid of pretty much anything new,
including the water coming out of the faucet and my laser pointer (deathly
afraid of that). He however doesn't think twice about pecking
at the cats. Weird.
-Bill Sands

Kellie

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

Yesterday my kids brought me an Eskimo Pie from the Ice Cream Truck. I had Shake,
my quaker, on my shoulder and was switching the ice cream from hand to hand to
keep him from getting it. (I know, I know, I should have put him on his cage!)
Well, finally I got distracted and Shake got to the ice cream. (I know, I know-
chocolate and sugar and all things evil!) well, he *started* to chomp down then
backed up. It was COLD! He eyed it this way and that way and then started
attacking it. He got some on his beak and didn't like that cold feeling a bit.
He grabbed the wrapper and started shaking it. Bad, bad ice cream.

Kellie

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

> My too is afraid of bugs and budgies.

My quaker went with me to PetSmart once and I showed him the case of
budgies. (They are enclosed behind plexiglass.) We have two budgies
but Shake was terrified- Too many Maxes!

FM46to91

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

LexCalibur wrote:
I can answer that. Millet spray is a long strand of some plant with seeds
covering the
entire thing. There's a center stalk as well. The millet I have is maybe 1/3
inch wide and
8 inches long. I know my parakeets love it, and I believe that a lot of others
do too.
It's a good treat for birds, but you shouldn't give them too much, they'll get
fat.

You have some mighty skinny millet spray, son. Susan

Cooperbrd

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

Every time my cockatiel "Cooper" sees a black person on T.V. she starts
"hawkin'" at the T.V. and freaks out. We don't watch much basketball around
here!!

HStCloud

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

>Subject: Re: What is Your Bird Afraid Of?
>From: gtta...@aol.com (Gttadnce)
>Date: Mon, Mar 30, 1998 22:15 EST

My older Goffin's cockatoo, Egon, is afraid of anything new that he's never
seen before (Egon is 8 this year); at one time, he hated giraffes! Would
squawl like the giraffe he saw on tv would attack him -- guess that long purple
tongue pulling down tree leaves made him think a giraffe would eat a 'too. Now
he's mostly afraid of lizards and snakes on tv. His 'little brother,' Skye,
now two, and he both dislike bubbles; not exactly afraid of them, but they will
shy away from bubbles being blown. Egon doesn't like bananas, either, hisses
at them.

On the other hand, neither Goffin's is afraid of our two dogs, Amber( toy
poodle) and Buddy (harlequin Pekingese) -- Egon chases them around the house!
So I don't let Egon out to play until the dogs go into another room for bedtime
. . . Skye plays with Amber, but he also bites at her at times.

Kimberly Kohler

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

HStCloud wrote:
> he's mostly afraid of lizards and snakes on tv. His 'little brother,' Skye,
> now two, and he both dislike bubbles; not exactly afraid of them, but they will
> shy away from bubbles being blown. Egon doesn't like bananas, either, hisses
> at them.

Hee hee! Our cats are afraid of bubbles! First time our eldest saw a
bubble it had come to rest on the carpet in front of her and was the
exact size of her toy ball. It popped when her nose touched it and
she's been afraid of them ever since. Doesn't even play with balls as
much anymore.

Interestingly enough, the cats are also afraid of the lovebirds! Cocoa
will come up to Sage's cage when he is in there and sniff curiously, but
he almost always gets a hold of a whisker with that beak, and she runs
for cover.

Poor cat! it's hilarious, though... a 4 inch tall lovebird chasing a
13.5 pound cat around the house! :)

Kimberly

HStCloud

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

>Poor cat! it's hilarious, though... a 4 inch tall lovebird chasing a
>13.5 pound cat around the house! :)
>

>From: Kimberly Kohler <kko...@peapod.com>
>Date: Mon, Apr 13, 1998 13:49 EDT

You should see this little bitty white bird chasing around an 8 pound (or more)
white poodle and a 14 pound Pekingese!

Then again, Egon chases his little brother around the cage, too; waits about 30
seconds to let Skye get to a "safe" place and then chases him some more. I
suspect Egon is trying to teach Skye how to hop (he's managed to do that) and
fly, but Egon's flighted and Skye's wings are clipped . . . so I doubt Skye
will ever learn how to fly too far, he tends to get nippy when he can go
further than three feet!

Joy Riddle

nkkeifer

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Pancho hates gloves. Can't stand to be in the same room as a pair of
gloves.

William D Sands <san...@pitt.edu> wrote in article
<6gb2t0$7...@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>...

Vicsplat!!

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

tissues ....

nkkeifer <nkke...@panama.c-com.net> wrote in article
<01bd6fe7$ff03a780$34835fcc@keifer>...

Ghandct

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Our sun conures are scared of flashlights

And they are all scared of the vacuum (even if its not on)

Gayle and Chris

PS--Please feel free to visit all our feathered and furry family members at
http://members.aol.com/Ghandct/home.html

greg s

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Sparky is afraid of facial tissue and hand puppets.

How about this subject---Things your bird really, really DISlikes.

Sparky likes my two older sons, ages 14 and 9, but despises the two y.o.

Dianne

She was not quite what you would call refined.
She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
----Mark Twain
"Following the Equator"

Vicsplat!!

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Mine loves hand puppets, especially my hedgehog fluppet!

greg s <stu...@sensible-net.com> wrote in article
<6ht0db$pbk$2...@supernews.com>...

Mdleweight

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Zane, the CAG is afraid of me, only when I am wearing sunglasses, and yogurt
and cottage cheese containers.

MAMABIRD

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

Well sure! I'd be afraid of you too if I saw you wearing sunglasses and
plastic cups!
(Just joking!!!!)
:-)
--
"MAMABIRD"
----------------
Mdleweight wrote in message
<199804251947...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Barbara Hammond

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

My birds don't seem to be afraid of anything. They are pretty big
birds. Much larger than some of my cats and dog. I think if anybody is
afraid, it might be me (Afraid of those really large and powerful
beaks)

Pangur Ban

Apr 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/25/98

I would be afraid too if I saw you wearing nothing but sunglasses, yogurt,
and cottage cheese containers! It boggles the mind! :-)

Jaj!!!!!

--
Pangur Ban
Lady Holder in Telgar

Remove 3rd a to reply....

nkkeifer

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

The vacuum makes Pancho sing like crazy, she loves it. Weird, huh!

Ghandct <gha...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199804251345...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

SUE DOE1

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

>Zane, the CAG is afraid of me, only when I am wearing sunglasses, and yogurt
>and cottage cheese containers.
></PRE></HTML>

Why, may I ask, do you wear syunglasses, yogert, and cottasge cheese
contrainers?

Vinny Hrovat

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

In our last episode, mdlew...@aol.com (Mdleweight) spoke thusly:

>Zane, the CAG is afraid of me, only when I am wearing sunglasses, and yogurt
>and cottage cheese containers.

In our last episode, mdlew...@aol.com (Mdleweight) spoke thusly:

XQLN$ the Senegal is afraid of me when i'm wearing sunglasses or hats. I've
never worn yogurt and cottage cheese containers, so i don't know if that'd
bother her. (;-), etc.) She also freaks out when i'm looking into my larger
camera or binoculars, or when i'm moving something into or out of a box.

Otis the Red Belly isn't scared of such silly things but you better not pet him
on the back or otherwise try to show him too much of that stupid affection
stuff, DAMMIT! And 6025 the Meyers is scared of sleeping inside of cages; she
only feels safe sleeping on top, in back, facing the wall and leaning over the
edge slightly.

---
I'm just Vinny | The five most important words in software
and don't spam me. | engineering: "Pay attention to detail."

Ken Schuller

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

Vinny Hrovat wrote in message <35456467...@news.jps.net>...

Vinny, I have to ask- how the HELL did you come up with a name like "6025"
for your Meyer's? :)

Hehehe!

Ken

Ken Schuller
Network Systems Specialist
NovaNET Learning, Inc.
========================
"In computing because it beats working for a living."

I speak for me.

Remove the obvious spam foil to reply via e-mail.

Frederick Wilson

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

Mdleweight wrote:

> Zane, the CAG is afraid of me, only when I am wearing sunglasses, and yogurt
> and cottage cheese containers.

Does it depend on where you are wearing the containers? Where do you
wear the containers?

TA
FAW

Frederick Wilson

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

nkkeifer wrote:

> The vacuum makes Pancho sing like crazy, she loves it. Weird, huh!

Gomez tries his best to mimic the sound

TA
FAW

Frederick Wilson

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

Vinny Hrovat wrote:

snip

> XQLN$ the Senegal is afraid of me when i'm wearing sunglasses or hats. snip

Just curious but how do you pronounce XQLN$?

TA
FAW

Rich Carreiro

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

Our Hahn's Macaw is afraid of CDs, our inkjet printer, the dustpan & brush
(though he is *not* afraid of brooms), and TV/VCR remote controls.

--
Rich Carreiro
ARPA: rlc...@mit.edu

Barcy D

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

>only when I am wearing sunglasses, and yogurt
>> and cottage cheese containers.

My initial response to this was WHY would you be wearing yogurt and cottage
cheese containers, but the more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to
know. Some things just shouldn't be shared ;o)
'Till Later . . .

Barcy

Vinny Hrovat

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

In our last episode, "Ken Schuller" <schull...@NOworldnet.att.net> spoke
thusly:

>Vinny, I have to ask- how the HELL did you come up with a name like "6025"
>for your Meyer's? :)

I named her after an old friend of mine.

Actually, more people trip out about XQLN$'s name than 6025's. XQLN$
(pronounced "XQLN$") is an old family name.

>Hehehe!

(Ok, i made both names up vis-vis a succession of misunderstandings and
anecdotes. Also, we pronounce XQLN$ as "Dollar Sign" and she responds briskly.)

Pat

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

Hey, my birds are just the smartest guys. They are afraid of only one
THING: DOUG COOK!!

Mary Hail

Jen

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Rascal, my parakeet, is afraid of photographs of parakeets. he
newest issue of BirdTalk came in a couple days ago. I thought I
would show him a picture of a birdie and see how he liked it. I
showed him a pic of a Brotogeris (sp?) and he immediately stopped
playing. He didn't look scared, he just felt compelled to watch the
bird in the photograph very carefully. Then I flipped the magazine
to a picture of parakeet. Rascal squawked and scramble to the high
perch on the other side of the cage as fast as he could. And not to
gracefully, I might add. :-)

Jen & Rascal

Kellie

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

> ....Then I flipped the magazine

> to a picture of parakeet. Rascal squawked and scramble to the high
> perch on the other side of the cage as fast as he could. And not to
> gracefully, I might add. :-)

How funny! My quaker has tried to steal toys from the mouths of birds
in pictures. Pretty amusing, really. Especially since when I've shown
pictures to my dog she looks at me like I've presented her with a soap
dish. "What am I supposed to do with that, Ma?"

--
Kellie Sisson-Snider ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always be kind to animals, Morning, noon and night:
For animals have feelings too, And furthermore, they bite. - John
Gardner

hhe...@global.co.za.x

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

Kellie <Kel...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>> ....Then I flipped the magazine
>> to a picture of parakeet. Rascal squawked and scramble to the high
>> perch on the other side of the cage as fast as he could. And not to
>> gracefully, I might add. :-)
>
>How funny! My quaker has tried to steal toys from the mouths of birds
>in pictures. Pretty amusing, really. Especially since when I've shown
>pictures to my dog she looks at me like I've presented her with a soap
>dish. "What am I supposed to do with that, Ma?"

Our tiels HATE the broom. I only have to open the broom closet door
and they're on their perches or flying madly around the room to
distract me and keep the broom inside!

Helen, Cape Town
hhe...@global.co.za
ICQ PIN: 10870441
Spam Stopper: To reply, remove the ".X" part of my Reply To address

Valerie Tefft

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

My little budgie used to be terrified of the vacum. He would get "unpuffy"
and hop around and screach. He has been getting used to it now, and
doesn't go so crazy.

David

Kellie <Kel...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<6iq5ee$f...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

> > ....Then I flipped the magazine
> > to a picture of parakeet. Rascal squawked and scramble to the high
> > perch on the other side of the cage as fast as he could. And not to
> > gracefully, I might add. :-)
>
> How funny! My quaker has tried to steal toys from the mouths of birds
> in pictures. Pretty amusing, really. Especially since when I've shown
> pictures to my dog she looks at me like I've presented her with a soap
> dish. "What am I supposed to do with that, Ma?"

Chicken

Nov 6, 2020, 10:01:07 PM11/6/20
hi i just saw this was posted 22 years ago and just wanted to ask if you guys are still alive

Cain Stain

Nov 21, 2020, 7:50:23 AM11/21/20
oh my

arbie b