Most humane way to end misery?

Susan Booth

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

Hello,

I have an 11 1/2 year old canary that is nearing the end
of his life, but it seems he needs to be helped on his
way. Besides having arthritis (or whatever) in his feet,
about a month ago he went blind rather suddenly (the
interior of his eyes is now clouded). He now spends all
his time on the bottom of the cage, either on the floor
or on his food and water dish, which he still manages to
find. He has adjusted somewhat to his blindness (at
first he was quite disorientated), but I know he can't
be very happy. He never has liked to be handled and now
becomes agitated when he knows I'm near his cage since
he can't keep an eye on me anymore. I don't want to
scare him to death (perhaps literally) by taking him
to the vet to have him put to sleep and so was
wondering if there was something I could do at home
to help him on his way without traumatizing him in his
last moments (the vet's only suggestion was to bring him
in). I would hate to have to do it myself, but I also
hate to see him suffer so. I'm still hoping he'll soon
go peacefully on his own, but in case he doesn't, does
anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

~Susan

Nathan Schulman

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Susan Booth <sbo...@cisco.com> wrote:

>Hello,

>Thanks,

>~Susan
An old book (Bates & Busenbark, I think) recommended putting the bird
in a paper bag and wrap the top of the bag around the exhause pipe of
your car. The carbon dioxide will kill the bird in a few minutes,
hopefully, painlessly.

Paul Rees

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Susan Booth <sbo...@cisco.com> wrote:

Susan:

I know how difficult it can be to euthanize one of your birds.
Especially one that's been around for 11 1/2 yrs. It's a decision you
have to follow your heart to make.

I think you should take it to the vet to do, however if circumstances
prevent this...

The best (fastest, least painful) way I've figured out is to take a
*very sharp* large kitchen knife & cut the bird's head off. I know it
sounds gruesome, but I've had to do it a couple of times & am
convinced its the best way for small birds (although very painful for
us).

Paul

Alisa Momsen

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

: The best (fastest, least painful) way I've figured out is to take a

: *very sharp* large kitchen knife & cut the bird's head off. I know it
: sounds gruesome, but I've had to do it a couple of times & am
: convinced its the best way for small birds (although very painful for
: us).

: Paul

I *KNOW I"M NOT READING THIS*!!!!
THE BEST WAY? HOLY ****
GO TO THE VET!!!!!

Alisa

Alisa Momsen

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Nathan Schulman (njs...@pop.usit.net) wrote:
: An old book (Bates & Busenbark, I think) recommended putting the bird

: in a paper bag and wrap the top of the bag around the exhause pipe of
: your car. The carbon dioxide will kill the bird in a few minutes,
: hopefully, painlessly.

I think it must be a TFH book--only they could come up with such utter
stupidity.

I hope to God this is just a troll, buy now I'm so mad/upset i can't even
describe it. For one thing, if you've had a bird for 11 1/2 years and you
can't even manage to take it to the vet for the last (first?) time, well,
I don't know what to say. Second, you're worried to vet trip will scare
it to death, but you're looking for some way to kill it??????

Alisa

deatbird

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

> I *KNOW I"M NOT READING THIS*!!!!
> THE BEST WAY? HOLY ****
> GO TO THE VET!!!!!
>
> Alisa

I am in total agreement with Alisa, be kind take your companion to the vet.
I have had to make that trip it was not pleasant but my little companions
did not have to suffer anymore. I just wish that I too had that option.
Debi

Robert B.

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

aemo...@email.unc.edu (Alisa Momsen) wrote:

OF COURSE IT'S A TROLL!!!

C'mon people...How long have y'all been reading this group??

Anyway...to add a little more fuel to the fire, and just cause its
funny.....

Art Gertloff <ager...@biddeford.com> wrote:

>If you want to kill the bird give it to me.
>--
>Art Gertloff

Is this offer still open, Art, or did it only apply to that one bird?
You seemed eager to kill a bird; here's your chance!
<snort>....<snort>......

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO,

Robert B.

lor...@mind-less-spring.com

Whoever said that a dog is "man's best friend"
never had a hookbill :)
NOTE: The email address in the header is more or -less-
altered to foil would-be spamming programs ;)

jean...@aol.com

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

In article <56gttu$d...@newz.oit.unc.edu>, aemo...@email.unc.edu (Alisa
Momsen) writes:

>Nathan Schulman (njs...@pop.usit.net) wrote:
>: An old book (Bates & Busenbark, I think) recommended putting the bird
>: in a paper bag and wrap the top of the bag around the exhause pipe of
>: your car. The carbon dioxide will kill the bird in a few minutes,
>: hopefully, painlessly.

>I think it must be a TFH book--only they could come up with such utter
>stupidity.

>I hope to God this is just a troll, buy now I'm so mad/upset i can't even
>describe it. For one thing, if you've had a bird for 11 1/2 years and
you
>can't even manage to take it to the vet for the last (first?) time, well,
>I don't know what to say. Second, you're worried to vet trip will scare
>it to death, but you're looking for some way to kill it??????

Alisa,

Nathan was replying to a lady named Susan Booth, Susan has the bird.

As for Nathans' reply about the knife, I wonder if he'd like someone to do
that to him in the end??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanne

Forever amazed by humans!!!!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!

Gloria Heim

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96
to Susan Booth

Susan,

I AM ASTONISHED AT SOME OF THESE REPLIES!!!!!!!!

Take that bird to a vet. He/she will be able to do it MUCH faster and
more painless than any of these methods.

I cannot believe this thread!

Do not poison, bleed to death, sever his head, frighten or otherwise
torture your little bird. He's been with you a long time, do what's
right and give him a dignified last day.

My God I'm disgusted.

Gloria
--
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit

--
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit
D.J. Gilmour

Nathan Schulman

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

jean...@aol.com wrote:

>Alisa,

>Jeanne

I didn't say that I approve of the procedure. I merely reported that I
read about it in a book.
Nathan

flwr...@aol.com

Nov 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/16/96

In article <328bf84a...@news.interlog.com>, re...@interlog.com (Paul
Rees) writes:

Susan,

Please give thought to yourself also. Are you going to be able to live
with yourself knowing that your bird died directly by your hand? Are you
willing to have the memory of your birds head being chopped off by your
kitchen knife, as someone suggested? It may be scary for your bird to
take him to the vet, but remember you will have to live on with the
decision that you make? Will you be able to go through with actually
ending the birds life on your own? Obviously, it is your decision. Just
be sure you can live with it afterwards.

Good luck.

Tammy

schneck

Nov 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/17/96

Susan Booth (sbo...@cisco.com) wrote:
: Hello,

: wondering if there was something I could do at home

: to help him on his way without traumatizing him in his

Please, please don't use the paperbag and car exhaust. It literaly cooks
a small bird...slowly.

If you quickly pick him up and pop him in a cardboard box, lined with old
toweling, and put the lid on tightly, you will be able to take him to a
vet.

Martha

John Olsen

Nov 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/17/96

In article <328A855F...@cisco.com>, sboot
> I would hate to have to do it myself, but I also
>hate to see him suffer so. I'm still hoping he'll soon
>go peacefully on his own,

>Thanks,
>
>~Susan
Susan have you looked in the phone book for mobile
vets- our area have several.
Some vets will make house calls under CERTAIN CONDITIONS
such as putting an animal to sleep.

Ann

Winnie Lind

Nov 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/17/96

We have not had a bird euthanized but our Vet makes housecalls and we had
her come to the house last year to euthanize our dog who was older and
suffering from joint disorders. The Vet was, as she always is, gentle and
compassionate towards the animal and us. We avoided that "scary trip" to
the vets and did our best for the animal. I hope we would be able to do
the same for any pet who needed that last caring from us. We sympathize
with anyone who has to make that decision for a loved pet.

Winnie & Tom Lind.

Tracy Bell

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

Trolls aside, the easiest way to kill a bird is crush its head with a
brick. Allas I cannot do this and prefer to use nail-polish remover (which
acts like ether) to put small pets to sleep. Of course you can always go
to the vet. Most methods are traumatic if only to the owner.

Robert B. <lor...@mind-less-spring.com> wrote in article
<328dea3d....@news.mindspring.com>...

Dianna Rowland

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

In article <56gttu$d...@newz.oit.unc.edu>, aemo...@email.unc.edu says...

>Nathan Schulman (njs...@pop.usit.net) wrote:
>: An old book (Bates & Busenbark, I think) recommended putting the bird
>: in a paper bag and wrap the top of the bag around the exhause pipe of
>: your car. The carbon dioxide will kill the bird in a few minutes,
>: hopefully, painlessly.
>
>I think it must be a TFH book--only they could come up with such utter
>stupidity.
>
>I hope to God this is just a troll, buy now I'm so mad/upset i can't even
>describe it. For one thing, if you've had a bird for 11 1/2 years and you
>can't even manage to take it to the vet for the last (first?) time, well,
>I don't know what to say. Second, you're worried to vet trip will scare
>it to death, but you're looking for some way to kill it??????
>
>Alisa

Susan, I would think that putting the poor creature in a bag and exposing it to the
roar of the engine and the heat and fumes of teh exhaust would scare it to death
before the CO does. Either take the bird to the vet and have it euthanized, or let
it go in its own time. Teh arthritis may be painful (mine sure it!) but blindness
doesn't hurt. If it can take nourishment maybe it's best to just let nature do its
thing. My $0.02
d.

ellen beth kessler

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

In <56q2cc$j...@vixc.voyager.net> drow...@hurleymc.com (Dianna Rowland)
writes:
I hate it say it, but a lot of people euthanize their birds using the
car exhaust. I guess they can't afford the $5 it would take to humanely
destroy the animal. Probably the worst method of euthaniasia I've seen
in print is in a book called Keeping and Breeding Cockatiels by Cooke.
Thank god it's out of pring (or I hope it is). Anyway, they suggest
giving the cockatiel 10cc of hard liquor via a syringe, waiting till
the bird passes out, then holding it under water....
Ellen

william taylor

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

Sad story to follow
There was a old parakeet that was keep in an oldfolks home that a
relitive of mine worked in years ago. The bird had a growth on his head
and was very old. I was decided that the little guy must be put down.
All the residents loved that bird. Many had to be convinced that the
vet would see that he 'felt' no pain. My relitive saw the vet as he was
leaving and getting into his van take the bird out(yes it was a house
call) and hold in in his hand. Just before climing in to his van he
killed the bird by bashing its head into the side of the van. I was
told the story because my relitive was outraged not at the birds death
but that the vet risked that a resident may have seen it happen and thus
tramatized. Anyway I posted this story to point out that you may want
to be sure the vet is more humaine. sorry if this story depresses
anyone.

Chele

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Keeping and Breeding Cockatiels is still around. I don't recall if it's
the one I bought or borrowed from the library while researching Cockatiels
for a pet (I eventually got the Senegal instead and gave the book to a
friend of mine who is thinking of breeding his two). I remember that
suggestion as being "the most humaine way" I didn't see it as such either
but it did have some other useful info in there.
--
Chele
Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn.

gailp...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2020, 12:12:00 PM4/15/20
On Wednesday, November 13, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Susan Booth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an 11 1/2 year old canary that is nearing the end
> of his life, but it seems he needs to be helped on his
> way. Besides having arthritis (or whatever) in his feet,
> about a month ago he went blind rather suddenly (the
> interior of his eyes is now clouded). He now spends all
> his time on the bottom of the cage, either on the floor
> or on his food and water dish, which he still manages to
> find. He has adjusted somewhat to his blindness (at
> first he was quite disorientated), but I know he can't
> be very happy. He never has liked to be handled and now
> becomes agitated when he knows I'm near his cage since
> he can't keep an eye on me anymore. I don't want to
> scare him to death (perhaps literally) by taking him
> to the vet to have him put to sleep and so was
> wondering if there was something I could do at home
> to help him on his way without traumatizing him in his
> last moments (the vet's only suggestion was to bring him
> in). I would hate to have to do it myself, but I also
> hate to see him suffer so. I'm still hoping he'll soon
> go peacefully on his own, but in case he doesn't, does
> anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~Susan

Hi Susan:
I am not sure when you posted your question, but like you I have a 17-year-old male canary who has crippled feet and does know how to leave this earth, not unlike your bird. Our boy's name is Goliath! We have never know a canary to live this long. So I can't keep him out in the main house because we have frisky cats! He is in his own room and I have started playing music for him, seems to make him happy. We love this little guy but he really missed the bus to Heaven. I am saddened by the fact that I cannot figure out a painless way to help him on his journey. Once in awhile, this little guy sings. Have you found an answer yet?

Sincerely,
Gail gailp...@gmail.com

sexd...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2020, 6:50:59 PM6/17/20
Don't judge others who just want to do the best for her feathered baby. Not everyone has the money to afford the vet option! At least she asked! I've been in Veterinary medicine for over 2 decades we would rather advise the humane way to do it for the bird.

LEATHER MAN

Jun 18, 2020, 12:50:01 AM6/18/20
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 6:50:59 PM UTC-4, sexd...@gmail.com wrote:
> Don't judge others who just want to do the best for her feathered baby. Not everyone has the money to afford the vet option! At least she asked! I've been in Veterinary medicine for over 2 decades we would rather advise the humane way to do it for the bird.

what is the humane way for a bird?