Birds attracting moths?

Keith Donnelly

Oct 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/18/95
Do birds attract moths? For the past 3 weeks, we have had a big moth
problem.Everytime we kill one of them, another shows up.We never had this
problem before so the only thing I can think of that is causing this is my
cockatiel.Does anybody know how to get rid of moths?

-Keith
-MSTie #59332

td...@teleport.com

Oct 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/19/95
to patc...@delphi.com
I have experienced the same moth problem. If the moths are about 1/4
inch or maybe 1 cm long, they are coming from the seed and seed products.
This doesn't mean that the seed is bad. It is just a bad year for these
characters to be hatching. To get rid of them, you have to avoid new
ones. This isn't easy. Make sure to freeze the seed for at least one
day. It should be kept in a zip-lock to avoid moisture when you freeze
it. Keep the seed in a zip-lock or other tight container that a moth or
larvae couldn't wheedle its way into. This will prevent the living moths
from laying eggs in the seed and it might help prevent the larvae from
finding food. I bombed my house, but it doesn't cure the problem without
these other steps taken. I wish you luck. We still haven't cured the
problem, but these measures help. (The freezing kills any moth eggs,
larvae and moths present in the seed.)

Karen Crassi

Oct 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/19/95
In article <9510181854591.Th...@delphi.com>
patc...@delphi.com (Keith Donnelly) writes:

Birds themselves DO NOT attract moths. However, the seed you may be
feeding your bird could quite possibly contain moth larvae which are
developing into moths in your house. I assume you are not talking
about the big types of moths one generally finds flapping around
outdoor lights on summer nights.

It is recommended that seed be frozen for a period of *at least* 24
hours before opening the package. This will kill any live moths and
larvae in the seed.

Or switch brands. Some brands may be cleaner than others and not have
a problem with moths.

Karen

karen....@dartmouth.edu

af...@baker.cnw.com

Oct 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/20/95
In article <9510181854591.Th...@delphi.com> patc...@delphi.com (Keith Donnelly) writes:
>From: patc...@delphi.com (Keith Donnelly)
>Newsgroups: rec.pets.birds
>Subject: Birds attracting moths?
>Date: 18 Oct 1995 23:30:24 GMT

>Do birds attract moths? For the past 3 weeks, we have had a big moth
>problem.Everytime we kill one of them, another shows up.We never had this
>problem before so the only thing I can think of that is causing this is my
>cockatiel.Does anybody know how to get rid of moths?

>-Keith
>-MSTie #59332

No, no, no! Birds don't attract moths! Seeds do! Go to local pet store or
feed store and buy a moth trap. Let us know in this newsgroup your results.

__
/dd\ af...@baker.cnw.com (www.cnw.com/~afap) Dianne
\ v / "Hatching new ideas'
xx

Jeff Long

Oct 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/20/95
patc...@delphi.com (Keith Donnelly) wrote:

> Do birds attract moths? For the past 3 weeks, we have had a big moth
> problem.Everytime we kill one of them, another shows up.We never had this
> problem before so the only thing I can think of that is causing this is my
> cockatiel.Does anybody know how to get rid of moths?

Hi,

I had much the same problem. The birds don't attract them but the
moths do tend to hatch out of their bird seed! The best solution I found
was to throw the bag of seed into the freezer for a couple of days before
use to kill off the little vermin.

Good Luck........ Jeff Long

Jeff Long

(lon...@meg.tesser.com)

Lori Bucevicius

Oct 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/22/95
patc...@delphi.com (Keith Donnelly) writes:

>Do birds attract moths? For the past 3 weeks, we have had a big moth
>problem.Everytime we kill one of them, another shows up.We never had this
>problem before so the only thing I can think of that is causing this is my
>cockatiel.Does anybody know how to get rid of moths?

>-Keith
>-MSTie #59332

From what I have read, it is the seed that attracts the moths. I'd get
rid of the seed you have, purchase fresh seed, preferably in sealed bags,
not from open bins, and freeze it. Just take out a days worth at a time,
and let it thaw before feeding the bird.

BTW....do you feed him ONLY seed? A better diet is a pellet diet with
added fruits and vegetables. Seed should be a treat, not a staple for a
healthy bird.

Lori
^|/ n~n
@> Lori Bucevicius {o o}
/ \ sk...@gonix.com { V }
( ) <-Mohawk the 'Tiel ( )
m m Simon the Amazon-> (_ _)
/// Abby the cockatoo / \
/ M M

Ruth Miller

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
patc...@delphi.com (Keith Donnelly) wrote:
>Do birds attract moths? For the past 3 weeks, we have had a big moth
>problem.Everytime we kill one of them, another shows up.We never had this
>problem before so the only thing I can think of that is causing this is my
>cockatiel.Does anybody know how to get rid of moths?
>
>-Keith
>-MSTie #59332

Keith,

What kind of cage bottom material are you using? If you are using corn cob or
some other type of filler, the moths will lay eggs in there and you will never
be able to get rid of them. They also will lay eggs in seed sitting around -
such as if you don't get rid of the old seed and just scrape off the top
shells.
I just recently *stopped* using corn cob when I found out how harmful it is to
the birds and my moth problem stopped at the same time! :> The moths are grain
moths and will get into any grain products you have in your cupboards as well
such as crackers, rice etc. Plastic bags don't help - you need glass to keep
them out.

Ruth Miller
Princeton, NJ

BBWB

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
>patc...@delphi.com (Keith Donnelly) wrote:
>>Do birds attract moths? For the past 3 weeks, we have had a big moth
>>problem.Everytime we kill one of them, another shows up.We never had this
>>problem before so the only thing I can think of that is causing this is my
>>cockatiel.Does anybody know how to get rid of moths?
>>
>>-Keith
>>-MSTie #59332

Keith,
I read somewhere in the past that this problem is usually
generated within bird seed. I agree. I've been in pet stores which
have had bags of birds seed sitting there for a long time. You can
tell by the dust and general condition of the bag. Look closely at
the bag. Do you see any small spider webbing? Sometimes, you can
even see moths inside the bags. I never buy seed that looks like this
in the store.
Also, I've taken to storing my extra supply of seed in the
freezer as was recommended in the article. This seems to solve the
moth problem. If there are any moth eggs or moths inside the bag of
seed, the freezer kills them!
Susan

narwhal

Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95
I ususlly buy (for my smaller birds) the shrink-wrapped seed. The
moths don't seem to appear in the vaccuum packed seed.

Gra...@me.com

May 5, 2020, 1:13:32 AM5/5/20
Thank you for telling me about the corn cob, I was wonder about that myself, I have those moths all over the place, I feed my parrot a pellet, so I knew the were not coming from her food, and did have some seed under her cage that I was feeding to a parakeet who I notice had moths also. I had a friend give me meal worms and she had them in bran and that started the infestation, so I got them out of the house and got rid of the little moths, but now there back heavily. so what do you use in the bottom of your cage?