Fog machine and birds

Toucanldy

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
One thing that I can tell you is , both ethylene and glycol, being made from
alcohol, are highly flammable.
Ethylene is an anesthetic and glycol is used in antifreeze.
Use your own judgement.
Regards.

Liz Day

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Gosh, I don't think I would breathe that stuff. I don't know for sure if
it's harmful to birds though. But pretty much anything that isn't air is
probably bad news.

LD

MPatte1

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98

writes:
>, I'm dressing up as a pirate (I wonder how many of us are!)

I'm torn between dressing as Kenny on "South Park" (lotta sweatshirt, etc.) or
President Clinton (dark suit, kneepads thrown casually over one shoulder.)
Mike

Somebody Else

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Actually, ethylene glycol is a compound, and is commonly known as ANTIFREEZE
(check your Zerex container). It is not flammable. If you and the bird can
manage to stay out of the fog, you might be safe; but just remember that
antifreeze is a very common cause of death in pets from ingestion -- causes
kidney failure due to crystal formation in the kidneys -- renal failure.
It tastes sweet, so is frequently ingested by pets. I'd think that
inhalation of enough of this vapor would likely result in absorption via the
lungs -- and ..........

'Course, the ethylene glycol *presumably* isn't present except in the fog,
but who knows if it diffuses out of the fog?

Bob

Laura Mann

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
I was going to reply this morning, but I assumed others would know more than
I. However... You seem to know the difference between propylene and
ethylene, you're half way there. Having a degree in theatre, I have been
informed that the fog is harmless. What I would consider is the physiology
of birds as opposed to that of mammals. Just as certain compounds, viruses,
and bacteria are lethal to other classes of animals (amphibians and
invertebrata for example are highly sensitive), but will not harm mammals.
This theory is put in practice in organic farming where fungii etc are
introduced to eliminate a pest, but the fungii is totally harmless to
humans. My personal rule of thumb is, when in doubt don't do it. But if you
are outside (and it does not reduce the effect of fog) then there should be
no problem. Good luck.
Laura

Dave Heaton wrote:

> I'm having a halloween party and plan on using a fog machine for effect.
> It uses a fluid that is a mixture of ethylene glycol and water, then
> vaporizes that. It's supposed to be completely nontoxic to people and
> animals, and there are no warning labels on the fluid bottle. I do know
> that ethylene glycol is used in some foods to keep them moist. If I'm not
> mistaken, it might even be in some bird pellets.
>
> I'm going to cool the fog, so it is going to stay down near floor level,
> like in the movies. <grin> It should form a nice layer.
>
> Of course, I'm dressing up as a pirate (I wonder how many of us are!) so
> that my OWA Gidget can join the fun. Question is, does this fog machine
> present any risk to her if she's up at shoulder level?
>
> I know. Ask the vet. I was just wondering if anybody already knew the
> answer to this one already.
>
> Dave (and Gidget)

Gord & Sher

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
My husband used to play in a rock band, and on occasion they would borrow a
fog machine for effects.

I don't know if it used the same compounds that you are talking about here
(Propylene and ethylene), but I do know that it left an oily, stinky
residue all over the guys' intruments and they stopped using it after
awhile.

Laura Mann <La...@orbitworld.net> wrote in article
<36390597...@orbitworld.net>...

Doug Cook

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
Doug

Toucanldy

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
LOL. Good answer, Doug.
Regards.

Laura Mann

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
While I was working on my degree in theatre I was told the stuff is
harmless. If its propylene glycol, don't use it, ethylene, I couldn't say.
Of times different phyla can classes of animals respond totally differently
to chemicals and biological forces. For example, copper is totally toxic to
fish, but not to humans. Some microbes only affect bugs and are used as pest
control for organic farming, but they are totally safe for humans. My two
cents.

Bluegraser

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98

I went to a party once with a fog machine there, after about 30 seconds I was
coughing my head off and i would have left if everyone at the party hadnt
started begging the host at once to please turn the *&%*&% thing off! I was
congested all night! I believe it would have done a bird in...

janice

The first thing to go is your short term memory. The second thing to go is
your short term memory.

Kevin Chu

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
Doug Cook wrote:

> Common sense tells you that it would be risky and stupid to expose a
> bird to this fog-especially for something as petty as a halloween
> costume or party.

I was thinking about saying this too. :)

Kevin

--
Kevin Chu ke...@portal.ca
http://members.tripod.com/~super_kevin/

pablo...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2019, 8:21:13 PM11/27/19
четверг, 29 октября 1998 г., 3:00:00 UTC-5 пользователь touc...@aol.com написал:
> One thing that I can tell you is , both ethylene and glycol, being made from
> alcohol, are highly flammable.
> Ethylene is an anesthetic and glycol is used in antifreeze.
> Use your own judgement.
> Regards.

merci