Avian Vet Fees; Is this price reasonable for wing clipping etc?

Robert Barile

Oct 1, 2001, 9:44:09 AM10/1/01
HI All; First of all I'd like to thank everyone for all of your posts
about having my parakeet wings clipped. I have decided to do this. Our
bird is flying all over the and lately we noticed he is going for door
ways. My wife found him in our screened porch unattended one day. He
flew away from my wife and for about ten minutes she couldn't find
him.

Anyway, I made an appointment with an avian vet. They told me that it
is dangerous to let a bird fly in the house because of varios hazzards
and possibility of escape.
The basically told me that for about $265.00 they can do everything
from clipping wings to nails and all kinds of blood tests etc. Is all
this neccessary? I settled for clipping wings, trimming nails and some
other test that will check for parisites . That price is about $96.00.

Clipping wings alone is $16.00. I will not attempt to do that myself
because I don't want to harm the bird.
Are these preices in line? I live in the Boston MA area.
Robert

Message has been deleted

Andee

Oct 1, 2001, 11:20:39 AM10/1/01
Robert Barile wrote:

> Anyway, I made an appointment with an avian vet. They told me that it
> is dangerous to let a bird fly in the house because of varios hazzards
> and possibility of escape.
> The basically told me that for about $265.00 they can do everything
> from clipping wings to nails and all kinds of blood tests etc. Is all
> this neccessary? I settled for clipping wings, trimming nails and some
> other test that will check for parisites . That price is about $96.00.

My two cents' worth:
If the bird is healthy and showing no signs of illness, I would certainly
do only
a fecal test and the clip and trim. The charge sounds reasonable. What
my vet told me what that she does not do blood tests unless it is really
necessary as they have to take a lot of blood and it is hard to do this on
a bird (in my case, a 'tiel). . Make sure your bird has a good diet with
additional calcium and fresh food and keep him happy and he should have a
nice healthy life. Good luck with him.

Andee

d.krug

Oct 1, 2001, 1:31:06 PM10/1/01

"Robert Barile" <r...@rbarile.net> wrote in message
I just took my birds in for check ups last week. They also had wings and
nails done. The total for two birds was $154.00. That did not include blood
work as the vet doesn't do blood work ups every year unless a problem is
suspected. A wing trim and nail trim alone is 19.00 per bird. I do not know
if she charges less for smaller birds.

--
Debbie, Dusty(CAG) and Casperella(U2)

Fonseca

Oct 1, 2001, 4:10:22 PM10/1/01
Don't know where all these people are going that are paying so little
for their bird exams, but your high prices are about even with mine.
Maybe it just depends on the area where you live in - I live in an
area about comparable with Boston in terms of cost of living.

On Mon, 01 Oct 2001 13:44:09 GMT, r...@rbarile.net (Robert Barile)

Thea

Oct 1, 2001, 6:55:41 PM10/1/01

Fonseca wrote:

> Don't know where all these people are going that are paying so little
> for their bird exams, but your high prices are about even with mine.
> Maybe it just depends on the area where you live in - I live in an
> area about comparable with Boston in terms of cost of living.

The cost of bloodwork really shoots up the overall cost of a vet visit. You
end up paying not only for the testing but also to have the sample drawn, (
at least that is how it is here). Debbie's fee of $154. for 2 birds did
not include any such testing. I'm in a large city as well and the avian
vets here offer a "wellness exam" package that includes a physical exam
plus basic chemistry and haematology work. It is just under $300 for that
package.
I know several people who have had their birds treated for chlamydia and
the cost range for that is consistently around $900-$1200. I have also
wondered if that cost was fairly standard across the board. Anyone know?

Thea

Earthmother

Oct 1, 2001, 7:34:10 PM10/1/01
Be very, very careful... I only paid $14 for wing clipping but the butcher
took half my Sugar's wings off and insisted that that was the only correct
way to clip a bird's wings. What an idiot. Everyone in town was telling me
how good this guy is, too. Next time I'm driving the hour to the nearest
GOOD bird vet, which may in fact be sooner than later since the poor
creature cannot flutter at all and falls straight to the floor. We had to
put all her perches at the bottom of her cage just to protect her from
falling off of them and damaging herself.

Pay more for a good vet. You will not regret it. Oh, and once there do not
leave your bird even for an instant no matter what. The minute I was out of
the room was all it took for him to cut her wings off.

~M

c schmidt

Oct 1, 2001, 10:00:22 PM10/1/01
Chickie went to the vet (I'm in Central Oregon) and here are the services
and the fees I paid:

Avian Exam $33.00
Wing Clip $9.60 (I only had her do two flight feathers on each side,
I don't know if this is the full rate or some kind of partial rate)
Culture and Sensitivity Single $64.00. (She used one swab on his throat
and his vent - I guess that's what "single" means.)
Express mailing $19.90

She spent about 35 minutes with us, and was gentle and kind with my bird.
She seemed pretty knowledgeable about birds and I would be comfortable in
returning. Chickie may feel differently, he didn't care for the whole
process, although when it was over he sat on her arm for 5 minutes and
listened to us talk. Then he flew to my shoulder and wouldn't step up so I
could put him in his travel cage! Paybacks for bringing him to the vet,
I'll bet.

Cindy

Linda

Oct 1, 2001, 10:12:39 PM10/1/01
I think it depends on where you live. Nails and wings can be done for 7 to 10
dollars around here. Blood testing can be done for 150. Office visit is 24.
This includes a hands on examine. My vets are not Avian Vets. But there are no
Avian vets in WV. The vets I use are a couple of friends who will see my birds
at thier home anytime I call. Or at the clinic if they must do anything major.
They are also the same people who sold me some of my flock and have bred and
raised babies just like the rest of us. They take their jobs personally.

LK

pen...@earthlink.net

Oct 2, 2001, 7:02:28 AM10/2/01
wrote:

>HI All; First of all I'd like to thank everyone for all of your posts

I pay $165 for a well bird exam which includes blood work, fecal, etc.
Wing clip and nails are $8 a piece, but this is for a AG. For a
parakeet the charge is $4. I get this done in Royal Oak which is a
Detroit, MI suburb.

dkp
to e-mail delete one d ddpe...@earthlink.net
http://www.history-of-rock.com