How to Refill the little propane bottles

xyz

Mar 23, 2004, 5:14:10 PM3/23/04
I bought this cool little gadget that will allow me to refill the small
propane bottles, from my larger propane tank.

The problem is, short instructions. They tell you to attach the gadget to
both bottles, turn the tank upside down and open up the valve.

What's missing is "For how long". The advertisement in the catalog, says
"in just minutes". I want the hard core facts that tell me how long, so I
don't overfill the little bottle, and explode things.

Anyone out there know the details on this?

Thanks,
Jimmy

searcher1

Mar 23, 2004, 10:16:30 PM3/23/04
If you have a kitchen scale you can weigh the tank, Weigh it empty first,
then again after you fill it, it should be 1 lb heavier.

searcher1

"xyz" <ju...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ralph Lindberg

Mar 23, 2004, 10:22:51 PM3/23/04
In article <SE28c.1449$Fo4....@typhoon.sonic.net>,
"xyz" <ju...@aol.com> wrote:

Nope, other then it's a violation of US federal law to refill one and
take it across state lines, well, that and since it's an uncontrolled
fill it's probably not real safe

--
Personal email n7...@amsat.org (@callsign.net's a SPAM trap)

K M

Mar 23, 2004, 10:54:21 PM3/23/04
Just my 2 cents....I have been filling these things for a couple of years. I
have never never never been able to fill to 100% capacity. I talked to an
old timer at a local campground last year who seemed to be an intelligent
man. He also works at a local quarry filling scuba tanks and performs some
type of tests that detect aluminum filings or dust (I can't remember the
exact term) anyways...I was complaining to him that I could never seem to
fill the 1lb. bottles to full capacity. He said (and I quote).."you could
hook a 100lb. container to a 1 lb. tank and you will never be able to fill
the 1lb tank to 100%." He explained that tanks are filled under extreme
pressure at the factory and the average "guy" will not have the resources to
do this at home.

He may be full of it??? He may be right??? All I can say is that It makes
sense to me and I will live with the 60-70% fills. I don't weigh my tanks, I
can tell by how long they allow my gadgets burn. I get about 75% of the burn
time with home filled vs. store bought. I do not think you could overfill
your1lb. tank.

Again, just my experience and observations.

Hope this sheds light on your dilemma

Kyle
The Ohio Hiker

Again, I may be off base here
"Ralph Lindberg" <n7...@callsign.net> wrote in message

searcher1

Mar 23, 2004, 10:58:15 PM3/23/04
About it being unsafe, I don't know all about that. I have heard of people
refilling the little tanks at least 12 times before actually throwing them
away. The worst problem being is that the valves tend to leak after a bit of
refilling. You can tell if the valve is no good if after filling you put a
little soapy water on the top and it bubbles. I am planning to get one of
those little gadgets. It costs too much to use the little tanks. And it is
often too heavy to tote your larger ones around. But at 12 bucks US for a
refilled 20 lb tank as opposed to 2.99 US for a 1lb tank you can see why
refilling is cost effective.And yes transporting these refilled tanks across
state lines is in fact an offense. What refilled tank? The way that you are
refillling them is not what they are considering a refilled tank IMO. The
valve on the side of the tank much like a tire inflation valve is where the
refilling law covers. I BELIEVE, I AM NOT POSITIVE! Refilling with the
gadget is much like removing the tank and then reinstalling the tank which I
do all the time with my lanterns.

Searcher 1\

searcher1

Mar 23, 2004, 11:01:22 PM3/23/04
I heard the same thing about never being able to refill 100%. But like you
said it is certainly cheaper at 75% then to keep buying those tanks @
WWallyworld.

Searcher1\\

"K M" <ohio...@woh.rr.com> wrote in message

Jon Porter

Mar 23, 2004, 11:01:50 PM3/23/04

"K M" <ohio...@woh.rr.com> wrote in message

> He may be full of it??? He may be right??? All I can say is that It
makes
> sense to me and I will live with the 60-70% fills. I don't weigh my tanks,
> can tell by how long they allow my gadgets burn. I get about 75% of the
burn
> time with home filled vs. store bought. I do not think you could overfill
> your1lb. tank.

Sounds about right.There was a thread on this topic a few years back, and
those who filled them got about the same results. Some claim that chilling
the tanks first allow you to get a little more into them.

harold

Mar 23, 2004, 11:11:44 PM3/23/04
To fill them completely pull up on the safety valve with a pair of needle
nose pliers until liquid propane comes out. this will over fill so don't
store or use until it quits venting

BD

Mar 23, 2004, 11:28:00 PM3/23/04
I'll weigh in since I've refilled these things probably a hundred times.
First, don't screw with the schrader valve! It will pressure release on
it's own, and if it's a leaker (some are after refilling) just throw that
bottle away.
Second, if you freeze the one pound bottle first, you'll get a good
fill...most of the time. You'll hear liquid transfer until things equalize.
You can't over fill it ...much... without a pump. This is a gravity transfer
deal.
Third, and this is important.
The bottle may vent later. You want it to, in a controlled way. I refill
mine only on a very warm day. I set them in full sun after filling, and let
them vent if they are going to. Then I store them in the cool shop, in the
shade, on the floor. Never carry refilled bottles in a closed warm space!
Heating them up expands the gas.

Good luck, the usual disclaimers apply. This data is for information
purposes only, so I don't guarantee a damn thing.

BD

"harold" <harol...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

SteveB

Mar 23, 2004, 11:51:24 PM3/23/04

"xyz" <ju...@aol.com> wrote in message

Having had one of those refillers for several years, I will share my
experiences.

You won't get one pound in there without bleeding off some of the air in the
top of the tank, just like the guy does with a screwdriver when he fills a
larger tank. It will always have some air in there, and never fill up to a
whole pound.

Freezing them or doing it in cold weather helps, but not much.

I don't believe you can overfill them. The Schrader valve will mess up if
activated during filling by freezing, and not make a seal. I used to let
mine sit for about three minutes, then close the valve. You have to test
them for a while to see if they leak at all.

Bottom line, I just don't use enough of them any more to justify refilling.
I just use a big tank with a whip. I don't camp near as much as I used to
since I got a 38' motorhome. But when I do camp, I just go and buy new
ones, and pay the price. I don't go to use one and find it empty. I don't
have to toss one because it is leaking. I don't have to spend time
refilling them.

Those refillers work. They are easy to use, but you do have to follow
safety procedures. Whether or not they are worthwhile depends on how much
propane you use, and if you are using that much, it is a lot cheaper to buy
the larger tanks and whips.

Steve

BD

Mar 24, 2004, 12:21:47 AM3/24/04

"SteveB" <desert6...@cox.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> Those refillers work. They are easy to use, but you do have to follow
> safety procedures. Whether or not they are worthwhile depends on how much
> propane you use, and if you are using that much, it is a lot cheaper to
buy
> the larger tanks and whips.
>
> Steve

That's the bottom line, really.
I had a vehicle tank with left over fuel to use up and a lot of empties
saved.
I pretty much have drained that tank, have a box or two of refilled bottles
for quick use, but have since bought a 5 gallon bottle to run the light gas
appliances. Small bottles are convenient but a pain to buy all the time. I
only use them now for emergency gas light, because they stand up nicely.
BD

jimnluna

Mar 24, 2004, 8:26:10 AM3/24/04
The one I bought stated fill for 1 minute upside down
after putting it in bottom of refrig for 15 min
If it is not all the way full, just fill it again.
This will help you use all of it before you cross the state line...
How do they know it is refilled and not just a part used one??
Is there a cap like the one on coleman stoves that you can use to cap
off leakers. The safety valve will still work if it needs to.
Where is good source for the adaptor to big tank for the appliances that
use small tank?
tnx
Jim

Jon Porter

Mar 24, 2004, 9:08:06 AM3/24/04

"harold" <harol...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> To fill them completely pull up on the safety valve with a pair of needle
> nose pliers until liquid propane comes out. this will over fill so don't
> store or use until it quits venting

You actually do this? I would think that the schraeder valve couldn't take
much of that.
I found the following link on filling them:
http://www.heatershop.com/1lb_probane_bottle_fill_kit.html
Scroll down, there's instructions.

jac

Mar 24, 2004, 10:50:03 AM3/24/04
On my "little gadget" it says "one minute = 60 seconds. I found out that if you
overfill it, it'll (the small can) will vent till pressure is right. It also
helps if the small can is cooler that the "source" can.
I've been using one for some time and it works fine.. As for "legal", how is
anyone gonna tell if you have a can that's been refilled?
jac

SteveB

Mar 24, 2004, 11:08:58 AM3/24/04
Enough of this!

The transporting of refilled bottles is prohibited by the DOT FOR
COMMERCIALLY LICENSED VEHICLES CARRYING CARGO FOR PAY.

Anyone can refill their bottles and take them camping. When was the last
time you saw an Official Refilled Propane Bottle Check Station?

If an official found one of these refilled bottles in your posession, how
would they know it was refilled? Because they asked you, and you were
stupid enough to say yes?

Well, it ain't gonna happen. No one will stop you and inspect your bottles.
So, all these Chicken Littles running around and screaming about the
legality of refilling bottles can relax. The sky is NOT falling, and no one
is going to jump out of the bushes and grab you for having refilled bottles.
And if they did, there is absolutely no way you can tell a refilled bottle
from a non-refilled bottle.

If it were illegal to refill bottles, Cabela's and Walmart wouldn't sell the
refillers, and attorneys would already be on those who sold or used them
faster than flies on shit. The sellers would discontinue them after the
first hint of a problem, and recall them all.

Relax, people. Think about it for a minute. Then never think about it
again. Refill your bottles and use them at will.

Steve

searcher1

Mar 24, 2004, 12:26:45 PM3/24/04
You can get this part at Wally MArt????

searcher1

"SteveB" <desert6...@cox.net> wrote in message

jimnluna

Mar 24, 2004, 2:37:14 PM3/24/04
to searcher1

jimnluna

Mar 24, 2004, 2:42:42 PM3/24/04
to Jon Porter

Does anyone know where to buy a cap to put on the little 1lb bottle to
keep it from leaking?
It will vent if it needs to thru valve.
Jim

SteveB

Mar 24, 2004, 5:02:31 PM3/24/04

"jimnluna" <jimn...@intergate.com> wrote in message

www.northerntools.com

Google came back with 348 hits in .32 seconds. But then, I have a cable
modem. I imagine you could find one lots of places. Maybe not at EVERY
WalMart, but I have seen them there.

Steve

searcher1

Mar 24, 2004, 5:07:41 PM3/24/04
Harbor freight is local and cheapest at 12.99

"SteveB" <desert6...@cox.net> wrote in message

jimnluna

Mar 24, 2004, 5:21:45 PM3/24/04
to searcher1
Not local here..
over 100 miles away

The Ancient One

Mar 24, 2004, 6:18:13 PM3/24/04

"searcher1" <united...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

> Harbor freight is local and cheapest at 12.99

I believe Cabelas has them as well.

searcher1

Mar 24, 2004, 6:48:05 PM3/24/04
Cabelas is 20 bucks.....

"The Ancient One" <onlyt...@thetopknows.com> wrote in message

SteveB

Mar 25, 2004, 4:14:45 AM3/25/04

> Not local here..
> over 100 miles away

Order from Cabela's or Northern tools.

www.cabelas.com or www.northerntools.com

Dennis Madison

Mar 25, 2004, 1:31:09 PM3/25/04
Just stop filling when liquid propane starts to squirt out of the relief
valve. Don't worry about the bottle exploding from pressure; all propane
bottles have a pressure relief valve to prevent this. Also, I strongly
recommend that you thoroughly check the refilled bottle for leaks using
a soapy liquid. I nearly blew up our travel trailer one time with a
"refillable" propane bottle that had a leaky valve. The older these
bottles get, the more likely they are to leak.

tecwhiz

Mar 27, 2004, 9:37:08 PM3/27/04
Contact the safety mananger of the company who provides me propane. he's
very knowledgeable and honest , damn good servie, too. his email is
mand...@independentpropance.com

Jim Redelfs

Mar 29, 2004, 11:25:51 PM3/29/04
In article <4061AE64...@io.com>, jac <jun...@io.com> wrote:

> As for "legal", how is anyone gonna tell if you
> have a can that's been refilled?

By carefully sifting the debris once it has cooled.

[ducking]
:)
JR

Coalbunny

Mar 30, 2004, 7:31:49 AM3/30/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:25:51 -0600, Jim Redelfs <jim.r...@redelfs.com> carved
in granite...

But if you do it right, you won't have any debris.
Carl

--
"Volunteer emergency personnel are like toilet paper- no one really understands how valuable they are until they're really needed." -- Coalbunny

jam

Apr 6, 2004, 9:35:11 AM4/6/04
Came across this accidentaly - did not know you could refil small
bottles yourselft - thanks!!

JunkMan

Apr 27, 2004, 5:02:44 PM4/27/04
Shit, Go spend a dollar or two before you kill your self