Tennessee Houseboat Advisory

Brent Chismark

Aug 4, 2004, 3:08:22 PM8/4/04
I am posting this as a friend of the family below. They are finishing
out their now-ruined vacation in cottages on dry land.

------

Beware!!

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning on Houseboat

An extended family of 16, ages 2 through 63, was treated for Carbon
Monoxide poisoning at Livingston Regional Hopital, Livingston TN, on
August 2nd, 2004. Poisoning occurred aboard the "Starship II"
houseboat, rented from Eastport Marina and Resort located on Vail
Hollow Lake, TN. The Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency and the US
Coast Guard are currently investigating the incident.

BC

Brent Chismark

Aug 4, 2004, 3:08:33 PM8/4/04

Robert Morein

Aug 4, 2004, 5:17:01 PM8/4/04
In article <77e55753.04080...@posting.google.com>,
br...@genesisinterrupt.com (Brent Chismark) wrote:

Just what caused the Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

uy

Aug 5, 2004, 1:45:48 AM8/5/04

Carbon Monoxide

heh!!

Robert Morein

Aug 5, 2004, 3:08:58 AM8/5/04
In article <68i3h015pad492ppq...@4ax.com>, uy <?@?.com>
wrote:

Good one, you must have a three year old niece

Wayne.B

Aug 5, 2004, 6:58:12 AM8/5/04
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:17:01 -0700, Robert Morein
<PhD_f...@nousefulinfo.com> wrote:
>> An extended family of 16, ages 2 through 63, was treated for Carbon
>> Monoxide poisoning at Livingston Regional Hopital, Livingston TN, on
>> August 2nd, 2004. Poisoning occurred aboard the "Starship II"
>> houseboat, rented from Eastport Marina and Resort located on Vail
>> Hollow Lake, TN. The Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency and the US
>> Coast Guard are currently investigating the incident.
>>
>> BC
>
>Just what caused the Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

This has happened to others, and for reasons that are not clear, seem
to happen more often on houseboats than other craft. The obvious
cause is generator exhaust leaking back into the boat while people are
sleeping aboard. In some cases this has happened from the exhaust of
another boat in close proximity. On a windless night CO can
accumulate in a cloud around a group of boats and find its way inside
through an open window or vent. A defective exhaust system is another
possible cause. A good battery operated CO detector can be purchased
for less than $50. I bought one for my last boat after reading about
several similar incidents.

basskisser

Aug 5, 2004, 7:05:22 AM8/5/04
br...@genesisinterrupt.com (Brent Chismark) wrote in message news:<77e55753.04080...@posting.google.com>...

Perhaps that is DALE Hollow?

Bob Ward

Aug 5, 2004, 1:06:24 PM8/5/04

Here's a link to some interesting facts on Carbon Monoxide and
houseboats...

http://safetynet.smis.doi.gov/cohouseboats.htm

Brent Chismark

Aug 8, 2004, 7:33:59 PM8/8/04
Thanks Bass... I guess I misheard over the cell phone. Dale Hollow it certainly is.

BC

popsveed

Aug 9, 2004, 6:16:18 AM8/9/04

"Brent Chismark" <br...@genesisinterrupt.com> wrote in message

> I am posting this as a friend of the family below. They are finishing
> out their now-ruined vacation in cottages on dry land.

(snip)

Urban Legend................