OT? - They Don't Come Much Dumber

George Anthony

Mar 21, 2017, 9:47:44 PM3/21/17
Exactly what grounds do they think they have for impeachment.
Speculation? Trump has done nothing unconstitutional, unlike his
predecessor. He has not taken away any rights from any citizens. Does
she realize it would take a majority in the house and 67 senators to
vote for impeachment? Doubtful she does. Maxine Waters has to be among
the dumbest people to ever serve in congress. I guess we are going to
have these liberal temper tantrums for the next eight years. Democrats
are irrelevant now so they should get over it. But, I'll give them one
thing, they have staying power when it comes to futile attempts at
regaining their political power.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/21/rep-maxine-waters-veiled-threat-to-trump-get-ready-for-impeachment.html

bill horne

Mar 21, 2017, 10:42:55 PM3/21/17
George Anthony wrote:
> Exactly what grounds do they think they have for impeachment.
> Speculation? Trump has done nothing unconstitutional, unlike his
> predecessor. He has not taken away any rights from any citizens. Does
> she realize it would take a majority in the house and 67 senators to
> vote for impeachment? Doubtful she does. Maxine Waters has to be among
> the dumbest people to ever serve in congress.

Except maybe for the dumbass who thought Guam might tip over if we put
more AF stuff out there on the end of it.

--
bill

George Anthony

Mar 22, 2017, 12:06:24 AM3/22/17
Unfortunately there are more than a handful of them. That speaks volumes
about the level of intelligence of the people who vote for them.

vito

Mar 22, 2017, 12:43:03 AM3/22/17
And then there is the Democrat congressman from 'frisco who thinks
that laws against intentionally infecting others with AIDS and other
diseases should be repealed.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 2:46:04 AM3/22/17
What makes you think the Prez has to do something "unconstitutional" to be impeached? Any old high crime. or misdemeanor, can be cause for impeachment. How about his big windy, tweeting that Obama had bugged Trump Tower? Filing a false crime report ought to be good enough for the charge of dishonesty to stick? Whether Congress would remove him from office is another story...

There's no big hurry. The ongoing investigation about his dealings with Russia / Russians, may provide an even better suited charge for impeachment as it unfolds? Would you really want someone who had laundered money for the Russians to be the President? You'd still have Pence....

Perry Mason Esq.

George Anthony

Mar 22, 2017, 9:27:10 AM3/22/17
<film...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 6:47:44 PM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote:
>> Exactly what grounds do they think they have for impeachment.
>> Speculation? Trump has done nothing unconstitutional, unlike his
>> predecessor. He has not taken away any rights from any citizens. Does
>> she realize it would take a majority in the house and 67 senators to
>> vote for impeachment? Doubtful she does. Maxine Waters has to be among
>> the dumbest people to ever serve in congress. I guess we are going to
>> have these liberal temper tantrums for the next eight years. Democrats
>> are irrelevant now so they should get over it. But, I'll give them one
>> thing, they have staying power when it comes to futile attempts at
>> regaining their political power.
>>
>> http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/21/rep-maxine-waters-veiled-threat-to-trump-get-ready-for-impeachment.html
>

> What makes you think the Prez has to do something "unconstitutional" to
> be impeached? Any old high crime. or misdemeanor, can be cause for
> impeachment. How about his big windy, tweeting that Obama had bugged
> Trump Tower? Filing a false crime report ought to be good enough for
> the charge of dishonesty to stick? Whether Congress would remove him
> from office is another story...

He did not "file a claim", he made an acusation. If it was a bogus claim is
arguable. What is not is that it is not illegal. If it were half the
mainstream media and Harry Reid would be in prison.

> There's no big hurry. The ongoing investigation about his dealings with
> Russia / Russians, may provide an even better suited charge for
> impeachment as it unfolds? Would you really want someone who had
> laundered money for the Russians to be the President? You'd still have Pence....
>
> Perry Mason Esq.

Keep on hoping there, Clarence Darrow. In eight years your wish will come
true. But then you will get Mike Pence, a Christian and a pro-lifer. Oh the
horror of horrors!

vito

Mar 22, 2017, 9:44:54 AM3/22/17
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:46:03 -0700 (PDT), film...@gmail.com wrote:

>What makes you think the Prez has to do something "unconstitutional" to be impeached? Any old high crime. or misdemeanor, can be cause for impeachment. How about his big windy, tweeting that Obama had bugged Trump Tower? Filing a false crime report ought to be good enough for the charge of dishonesty to stick? Whether Congress would remove him from office is another story...
>
>There's no big hurry. The ongoing investigation about his dealings with Russia / Russians, may provide an even better suited charge for impeachment as it unfolds? Would you really want someone who had laundered money for the Russians to be the President? You'd still have Pence....
>
>Perry Mason Esq.

Bwahahahaha! It I could drink coffee I'd have spit it all over the
keyboard! Who says the report of bugging Trump is false?? You? The
media? J Edgar Hoover's current replacement said he couldn't find any
proof under his pillow, not that it didn't happen. And considering
NSA's activities and the "leaks" about Trump campaigners' contacts
with Russians it is obvious that some bugging is and was going on.
Only somebody who lives in a dream world where Adams and Weston made
their famous photos using miniature (35mm) cameras and where honest
Democrats control the government could believe such things.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 12:37:10 PM3/22/17
Whew! Lucky thing you can't drink coffee, isn't it? You'd have ruined your keyboard for sure. Let's see, the FBI, and NSA, are who say Trump made up the big windy about Obama spying on him. Maybe he should call in "Ghostbusters" to verify his charge?

You've whooshed me about Adams & Weston? They must have been the ones who showed you the pictures of the 911 hijackers being invited into the cockpit by those pilots to fly the airplanes into the WTC, huh?

Perry

George Anthony

Mar 22, 2017, 12:58:50 PM3/22/17
They said they found no evidence of "wire tapping". Nothing was said
about spying.

Ansel Adams and Edward Weston.

vito

Mar 22, 2017, 1:59:53 PM3/22/17
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:37:07 -0700 (PDT), film...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 6:44:54 AM UTC-7, vito wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:46:03 -0700 (PDT), film...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> >What makes you think the Prez has to do something "unconstitutional" to be impeached? Any old high crime. or misdemeanor, can be cause for impeachment. How about his big windy, tweeting that Obama had bugged Trump Tower? Filing a false crime report ought to be good enough for the charge of dishonesty to stick? Whether Congress would remove him from office is another story...
>> >
>> >There's no big hurry. The ongoing investigation about his dealings with Russia / Russians, may provide an even better suited charge for impeachment as it unfolds? Would you really want someone who had laundered money for the Russians to be the President? You'd still have Pence....
>> >
>> >Perry Mason Esq.
>>
>> Bwahahahaha! It I could drink coffee I'd have spit it all over the
>> keyboard! Who says the report of bugging Trump is false?? You? The
>> media? J Edgar Hoover's current replacement said he couldn't find any
>> proof under his pillow, not that it didn't happen. And considering
>> NSA's activities and the "leaks" about Trump campaigners' contacts
>> with Russians it is obvious that some bugging is and was going on.
>> Only somebody who lives in a dream world where Adams and Weston made
>> their famous photos using miniature (35mm) cameras and where honest
>> Democrats control the government could believe such things.
>

>Whew! Lucky thing you can't drink coffee, isn't it? You'd have ruined your keyboard for sure. Let's see, the FBI, and NSA, are who say Trump made up the big windy about Obama spying on him. Maybe he should call in "Ghostbusters" to verify his charge?

No, they simply say that they found no evidence that Obama spied on
Trump. That's very different than saying it didn't happen and in a
league with Hoovers claim that there was no such thing as organized
crime. After all, he'd been too busy digging up or creating dirt on
congressmen to notice. Did you know that NSA had intercepted your
last post but deemed it not worth bothering with? Does that mean you
were tapped or hacked?

>You've whooshed me about Adams & Weston? They must have been the ones who showed you the pictures of the 911 hijackers being invited into the cockpit by those pilots to fly the airplanes into the WTC, huh?

I thought you were a photographer (film-by-don). Sorry, mea culpa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansel_Adams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Weston

>Perry

Bruce

Mar 22, 2017, 2:05:47 PM3/22/17
And we know for a fact that the Trump campaign WAS spied on -- that
spying is why Flynn resigned.

--
Bruce

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's
government." -- Thomas Paine

film...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 2:13:07 PM3/22/17
Thanx for reminding me about A. Adams. and E. (or maybe C.?) Weston... I guess Vito is still trying to shame me on my photography prowess? I rarely do B&W shots, like those old shutterbugs used... I'll bet his friend "Mike", who is also a far better picture taker than I am as well, would have caught his witty remark right away?

Ken Murray

George Anthony

Mar 22, 2017, 2:23:49 PM3/22/17
I fancy myself a bit of a photographer. Been into it since I was knee high
to a grasshopper. I even had a darkroom up until I bought my first DSLR
about ten or twelve years ago. And speaking of black and white, I do my
best (although with little success) to emulate Ansel Adams. My first trip
to Yosemite about took my breath away. I will be going back for my fourth
time later this spring... when the waterfalls should be flowing.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 2:32:34 PM3/22/17
Trump's claim was that Obama ordered his "wire tapp", wasn't it? Investigations take on a life of their own..... Flynn was paid 40K by the Russians to be a guest on their TV show.

James Bond

Bruce

Mar 22, 2017, 2:41:19 PM3/22/17
If you go back to Trump's original Tweet on the subject, you will notice
that he put the word wiretap in quotes. Everyone in the world
)including Trump) knows that physical wiretapping has not been used in
years. These days phones don't even have wires to tap. When it is
decided to listen in on phone calls, they go to the phone provider and
get them to intercept the calls.

Since we know that the government was listening in on conversations of
the Trump campaign, (and since we know that the NSA conducts
surveillance on all electronic communications in the country), the only
question to be determined is did 0bama know about the surveillance on
Trumps people before or after it happened.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 2:55:14 PM3/22/17
I make no claim to be any kind of photographer. I'm just a picture taker with a decent camera. Interestingly enough, since I live in Commiefornia, I've never been to Yosemite. I plan to take my P&S model late next month, for the waterfalls, just to see what I've been missing all these years?

I used to see Ansel Adams frequently, when I lived in Carmel. Who woulda' thunk that a high school yearbook photographer could take such stunning landscapes? I think my favorite is "Moonrise over Hernandez"?

Alan Funt

George Anthony

Mar 22, 2017, 3:13:04 PM3/22/17
There is an interesting story that goes with that photo. I have a print
of that one however it's not my favorite. The tunnel view of Clearing
Winter Storm is my favorite. That is the iconic view of Yosemite. I
actually have a signed copy of Yosemite and the Range of Light. If you
go be sure to get to the tunnel view location (Wawona Tunnel). Another
good view is from Glacier Point. If you come in from the Corsegold area
(Hwy 41) you will come in at Mariposa Grove where the giant Sequoias
are, although, I think it is closed for most of the rest of the year.

George Anthony

Mar 22, 2017, 3:28:14 PM3/22/17

vito

Mar 22, 2017, 6:01:31 PM3/22/17
Do you really think that Obama is above doing that?

> Investigations take on a life of their own..... Flynn was paid 40K by the Russians to be a guest on their TV show.

So? What did Hillary charge for an appearance? What does Obama
charge now?

>James Bond

Dusty

Mar 23, 2017, 9:27:49 AM3/23/17
On 22-Mar-17 11:20, George Anthony wrote:
>> On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 9:58:50 AM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote:
...<snippage>...
> I fancy myself a bit of a photographer. Been into it since I was knee high
> to a grasshopper. I even had a darkroom up until I bought my first DSLR
> about ten or twelve years ago. And speaking of black and white, I do my
> best (although with little success) to emulate Ansel Adams. My first trip
> to Yosemite about took my breath away. I will be going back for my fourth
> time later this spring... when the waterfalls should be flowing.
well dang! Pleased to meetcha, George ;)! There's so little mention of
that in this venue, that I thought most reading here didn't do that.
I've been messin' with that since the '50's. Went the whole
route...darkroom, film, B&W prints, color prints, even slides when my
eldest was still young. Then mostly slides with a whole raft of Pentax
35mm gear. Been remiss & a bit slow to embrace the digital era in
pictures. Phone pictures aren't much to enjoy, so I thought I'd get
into DSLR with a new Nikon P900. If & when I can figure out all the
knobs & switches, I should be able to get back to doing my birdy,
critters, plants, and vista pictures. Lookin' forward to that. Used to
go to Yosemite several times/year. May have to make a trip down there
to see it again this year...should probably rope Death Valley into that
trip as well.

This should be fun. Kinda neat being able to take more than 30 pictures
at a time, not having to "develop" them, as well as videos, WiFi
connection, GPS, darn thing does more than I would ever have imagined.
Anybody else reading here foolin' with gadgets of that kind? It would
be interesting to hear about your experiences.

Take care and be well all,
Dusty
--
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free.” – Goethe

George Anthony

Mar 23, 2017, 10:52:08 AM3/23/17
Everyone knows all the good photographers use Canon :-) Much to the
dismay of my wife, I'm the closest thing to an early adopter when it
comes to tech, especially photo gear. I buy and sell that stuff like
there's no tomorrow. For RVers especially, there is a lot beauty to
photograph in this country and I've seen a lot but not enough yet.

Like Johnny Cash:

I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
Crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Travel, I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere
I've been to,
Reno
Chicago
Fargo
Minnesota
Buffalo
Toronto
Winslow
Sarasota
Whichta
Tulsa
Ottowa
Oklahoma
Tampa
Panama
Mattua
LaPaloma
Bangor
Baltimore
Salvador
Amarillo
Tocapillo
Pocotello
Amperdllo...

nothermark

Mar 23, 2017, 12:32:41 PM3/23/17
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 04:03:25 -0000 (UTC), George Anthony
<gant...@gmail.net> wrote:

And they are all pissed off because they lost. Boo Hoo, the Russians
did it!

Owen McKenzie

Mar 23, 2017, 1:08:42 PM3/23/17
Clyde Butcher is to Florida wetlands what Ansel Adams was to Yosemite.
For years the one Christmas gift I could count on getting was the latest
Ansel Adams calendar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=clyde+butcher&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0y4-Tju3SAhVEQCYKHR-KCUUQ_AUIBygA&biw=1252&bih=555&dpr=1.09

--

Owen McKenzie

“Be kind to unkind people. They need it the most.”
― Ashleigh Brilliant

JerryOsage

Mar 23, 2017, 2:21:23 PM3/23/17
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 06:27:42 -0700, Dusty
<Dus...@InnerLodgeREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

>Been remiss & a bit slow to embrace the digital era in
>pictures. Phone pictures aren't much to enjoy, so I thought I'd get
>into DSLR with a new Nikon P900. If & when I can figure out all the
>knobs & switches, I should be able to get back to doing my birdy,
>critters, plants, and vista pictures. Lookin' forward to that.

A nice camera with some reach that makes some very nice images.

You can use it in Full Auto - the little green box on the top knob - and
get good snapshot images. However, to get the best out of it you need
to understand, and use, its capabilities. Or -- at least know what they
do...

With film cameras the film determined the ISO (ASA). Now you have to
choose - or use Auto ISO and let the camera choose. The camera does the
processing inside. You have some latitude using the Menu to change how
that processing is done.

[I don't believe that the P900 will give you a RAW file. If it does
that is like having a roll of exposed film - you do the processing with
another program with many more options.]

Remember there is no film and processing costs. Pick a nice spot like a
picnic table so you have room for the manual and a pad to make notes.
Then setup a static "subject" and make some images. Make a lot of
images, it doesn't burn film and the camera processes the images for
you. Sooner than you might think you will be able to say - I want this
and I get it with these settings

Every image is tagged with EXIF data that gives all the pertinent data.
If a viewer didn't come with the camera there are free viewers
available.

For info and help Digital Photography Review has some nice forums. Any
question you might have can be found on their Nikon Coolpix Talk forum.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1007
You will have to sign up - free - I made up a nym and gmail acct just
for this - if you want to post. At least take a look - there are some
very nice images posted by P900 users of long zoom bird shots and show
the EXIF data.

Jerry O.

vito

Mar 23, 2017, 2:56:41 PM3/23/17
Cool - but how do I dodge & burn and what about zones - over/under
exposing/developing to get the desired grey scale?

George Anthony

Mar 23, 2017, 3:35:36 PM3/23/17
Get lightroom stand alone or, if you plan to do a lot of editing, you
can get the Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) for $9.95/month. It comes with
Photoshop and Lightroom. I do a lot of photo work so I went with the
monthly deal... and it is a deal if you use it frequently. Having said
that, a stand alone copy of Lightroom will do what you want. Lots of
options and features. It is also a good cataloging program. The downside
is that you have to pay additional for upgrades. The monthly
subscription route gets you all of the upgrades for no additional fee.
Plus, you get them immediately.

George Anthony

Mar 23, 2017, 3:38:11 PM3/23/17
Forgot to mention, there are more Lightroom and Photoshop tutorials on
Youtube than you can shake a stick at. There are other options out there
but the Adobe products are the gold standard.

JerryOsage

Mar 23, 2017, 3:47:39 PM3/23/17
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:56:38 -0400, vito <v...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>Cool - but how do I dodge & burn and what about zones - over/under
>exposing/developing to get the desired grey scale?

Dodge and burn, manipulating the DR? I'm not sure what is available - I
use Adobe Photoshop for heavy lifting and Adobe Lightroom for
cataloguing and light work.

Adobe has now went to a subscription setup - creative cloud. I don't
use it. I have one of the last stand-alone versions of Lightroom (it
catalogues over 18K digital Images for me) and Photoshop (CS6 x64). I
have been using Photoshop since Ver 2 so I have no idea what else is
available. The old versions of PS and Lightroom are probably still
available.

However, unless your camera will output a RAW file your developing
options are somewhat limited because the camera has already processed
the raw image data - usually into a JPEG and has discarded a lot of the
data. You can still do a lot of editing - after-the-fact so to speak.

Try GIMP, an open source image manipulation package. A lot of people use
and love it - and it is free. However, to get the most out of any image
you need it in a RAW file format. It is just like having a roll of
exposed, but undeveloped film - you make all the decisions. Converting
an image to JPEG - whether in-camera or out - discards a LOT of
information.

Check this out for a good demo.
https://www.slrlounge.com/workshop/dynamic-range-and-raw-vs-jpeg/

If you want to get the best images possible you need the raw image data
out of the camera and do all the processing yourself. For you I think
that means a better/different camera, a camera that will give you the
raw image data and a JPEG at the same time... The above demo will be
informative.

Jerry O.

vito

Mar 23, 2017, 5:09:28 PM3/23/17
Thanks. I sold all my photo gear except one 35mm for snapshots and
don't even use that. Cell phone is good for snaps - to bad its such a
crappy phone. Maybe if i get motivted I'll follow your lead.

bill horne

Mar 23, 2017, 5:21:09 PM3/23/17
Plain ole windows will give you some EXIF data with
rightclick|Properties|Details, and if you're into geotagging,
Geosetter (free) has an EXIF tool that shows more.

--
bill

vito

Mar 23, 2017, 5:23:00 PM3/23/17
Thanks.

kmiller

Mar 23, 2017, 6:15:47 PM3/23/17
On 3/23/2017 10:08 AM, Owen McKenzie wrote:

> Clyde Butcher is to Florida wetlands what Ansel Adams was to Yosemite. For years the one Christmas gift I could count on getting was the latest Ansel
> Adams calendar.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=clyde+butcher&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0y4-Tju3SAhVEQCYKHR-KCUUQ_AUIBygA&biw=1252&bih=555&dpr=1.09

I'm not a black and white film nut but that is definitely some nice stuff.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2017, 6:30:23 PM3/23/17
Same here. I like color, but his stuff is impressive..... I think it's the equal of Adams, except for Adams did it first!

Don

Jan Orme

Mar 23, 2017, 6:45:35 PM3/23/17
> Owen McKenzie
In a single word ~~~~~> STUNNING!

Jan

George Anthony

Mar 23, 2017, 7:26:16 PM3/23/17
Ah, now I know the secret to beautiful landscape photos... wear a Stetson
and grow a full beard.

nothermark

Mar 23, 2017, 9:21:56 PM3/23/17
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:44:48 -0400, vito <v...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:46:03 -0700 (PDT), film...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>What makes you think the Prez has to do something "unconstitutional" to be impeached? Any old high crime. or misdemeanor, can be cause for impeachment. How about his big windy, tweeting that Obama had bugged Trump Tower? Filing a false crime report ought to be good enough for the charge of dishonesty to stick? Whether Congress would remove him from office is another story...
>>
>>There's no big hurry. The ongoing investigation about his dealings with Russia / Russians, may provide an even better suited charge for impeachment as it unfolds? Would you really want someone who had laundered money for the Russians to be the President? You'd still have Pence....
>>
>>Perry Mason Esq.
>
>Bwahahahaha! It I could drink coffee I'd have spit it all over the
>keyboard! Who says the report of bugging Trump is false?? You? The
>media? J Edgar Hoover's current replacement said he couldn't find any
>proof under his pillow, not that it didn't happen. And considering
>NSA's activities and the "leaks" about Trump campaigners' contacts
>with Russians it is obvious that some bugging is and was going on.
>Only somebody who lives in a dream world where Adams and Weston made
>their famous photos using miniature (35mm) cameras and where honest
>Democrats control the government could believe such things.

Anybody that pays any attention to any of the major leaks about US
security or privacy would know everybody's wires are monitored by the
NSA at a minimum. Most of it is run through software that looks for
key words and phrases then flags them to a human to evaluate. I think
that was what Snowden was doing when he collected his treasure trove.
Then there are more stories like this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/us/politics/nsa-suspect-is-a-hoarder-but-a-leaker-investigators-arent-sure.html

Given that Snowden did not leak whatever, the hoarder did not, that
means at least 3 people taking home classified conversations and
email.

Top that off with the basic fact that we are doing the things we
accuse others of all the time. Assuming there was any collusion it
would be us getting back what we have been handing the rest of the
world.

nothermark

Mar 23, 2017, 9:28:19 PM3/23/17
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 11:58:45 -0500, George Anthony
<gant...@gmail.org> wrote:

>On 3/22/2017 11:37 AM, film...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Bwahahahaha! It I could drink coffee I'd have spit it all over the
>>> keyboard! Who says the report of bugging Trump is false?? You? The
>>> media? J Edgar Hoover's current replacement said he couldn't find any
>>> proof under his pillow, not that it didn't happen. And considering
>>> NSA's activities and the "leaks" about Trump campaigners' contacts
>>> with Russians it is obvious that some bugging is and was going on.
>>> Only somebody who lives in a dream world where Adams and Weston made
>>> their famous photos using miniature (35mm) cameras and where honest
>>> Democrats control the government could believe such things.
>>

>> Whew! Lucky thing you can't drink coffee, isn't it? You'd have ruined your keyboard for sure. Let's see, the FBI, and NSA, are who say Trump made up the big windy about Obama spying on him. Maybe he should call in "Ghostbusters" to verify his charge?
>>
>> You've whooshed me about Adams & Weston? They must have been the ones who showed you the pictures of the 911 hijackers being invited into the cockpit by those pilots to fly the airplanes into the WTC, huh?
>>
>> Perry
>>

>They said they found no evidence of "wire tapping". Nothing was said
>about spying.
>
>Ansel Adams and Edward Weston.

One has to wonder if they consider recording device attached to the
telephone switch a "tap". Since it is permanent perhaps it does not
meet the definition. After all, we must adhere to proper legal
terms...

vito

Mar 23, 2017, 10:22:13 PM3/23/17
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:28:06 -0400, nothermark <nothe...@not.here>
wrote:

>One has to wonder if they consider recording device attached to the
>telephone switch a "tap". Since it is permanent perhaps it does not
>meet the definition. After all, we must adhere to proper legal
>terms...

Naw, if they didn't have a 'but-in" attached to the wires coming from
Trump's cell phone then Trump's a liar about wire tapping. Ask any
good Democrat.

bill horne

Mar 24, 2017, 12:52:50 AM3/24/17
damright. There's a little hole on the side of my smartnotafone. If I
plug a wire in there, and plug the other end into my computer, I can
tap the crap out of it and see just about everything on it.

Hunter Hampton

Mar 24, 2017, 10:45:26 AM3/24/17
On 3/23/2017 1:08 PM, Owen McKenzie wrote:

> Clyde Butcher is to Florida wetlands what Ansel Adams was to Yosemite.

I have two framed Butchers....

Hunter

George Anthony

Mar 24, 2017, 1:18:15 PM3/24/17
One for each of you?

Major Oz

Mar 24, 2017, 2:16:43 PM3/24/17
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:23:49 PM UTC-5, George Anthony wrote:

> I fancy myself a bit of a photographer.

While yours may be justified, mine is not.

In the SLR/Fuji days, I was close. But the digital revolution has left me high and dry.

I have never been able to mimic the various adjustments....

With various digital cameras, I can NOT get one to do what I want.

And, worst of all, when I punch the shutter (never found a cable release for a digital), I want it NOW....not after the processor thinks about it. Can't find one that does that.

Anyway.....if my eye is not much better than a phone camera, why bother buying one ?

George Anthony

Mar 24, 2017, 3:44:11 PM3/24/17
On 3/24/2017 1:16 PM, Major Oz wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:23:49 PM UTC-5, George Anthony wrote:
>>
>> I fancy myself a bit of a photographer.
>
> While yours may be justified, mine is not.
>
> In the SLR/Fuji days, I was close. But the digital revolution has left me high and dry.
>
> I have never been able to mimic the various adjustments....

Practice, practice, pratice.

> With various digital cameras, I can NOT get one to do what I want.
>
> And, worst of all, when I punch the shutter (never found a cable release for a digital), I want it NOW....not after the processor thinks about it. Can't find one that does that.

You can do that with any digital camera. Just shoot jpeg images instead
of raw (equivalent of a negative). It all depends on how much control
you want of the final image and if the time spent is worth it to you.

> Anyway.....if my eye is not much better than a phone camera, why bother buying one ?

To each his own. I think your hobby is music. Mine is photography. It
fits will with mr RV travels as I'm sure music does with yours. There
are "cable" releases for digital cameras by the way. Some are wired and
some are wireless. I have one of each. The results you get with digital
will be different from the old darkroom prints, especially if you're
trying to replicate the old gelatin silver prints. That's a bit of a
task with digital.

JerryOsage

Mar 24, 2017, 3:53:40 PM3/24/17
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 11:16:19 -0700 (PDT), Major Oz <ozm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:23:49 PM UTC-5, George Anthony wrote:
>>
>> I fancy myself a bit of a photographer.
>
>While yours may be justified, mine is not.
>
>In the SLR/Fuji days, I was close. But the digital revolution has left me high and dry.
>
>I have never been able to mimic the various adjustments....
>
>With various digital cameras, I can NOT get one to do what I want.
>
>And, worst of all, when I punch the shutter (never found a cable release for a digital), I want it NOW....not after the processor thinks about it. Can't find one that does that.

We have discussed this before. For a shutter release you will need to
spend some money on a camera - a P&S won't do it. Do an Amazon search
for shutter release all major brands have them - even Fuji.

As for the wait? That is because the camera is focusing. Most mid-range
cameras will allow "Fire shutter without focus". Or go all manual,
focus or not, the shutter will fire. However, the camera can achieve
focus a lot faster than you can manually

My camera will Lock Focus - and keep it - even if, usually a flying
bird, flies behind something. As long as the camera can see part of it
or it is obscured for less than a second. All the while capturing 9
images a second. Or lock an a kid playing soccer and keep him/her in
focus as they run around, even if someone runs in front of them. That
can't be done manually by most photographers.

>Anyway.....if my eye is not much better than a phone camera, why bother buying one ?

Well, there is that.

I do it because I like images like these. They aren't great, but I would
not have captured anything if I was trying to focus manually.

<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1044276932286366&set=a.741775799203149.1073741830.100001122066454&type=3&theater>
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1154330674614324&set=a.741775799203149.1073741830.100001122066454&type=3&theater>

Jerry O.

vito

Mar 24, 2017, 4:30:45 PM3/24/17
My auto-focus camera would not take pictures of monkeys at the zoo -
it kept focusing on the bars and blurring the monk's.

Nice pictures. But I'm with Oz. I had mostly 4x5s and even one 8x10,
my own darkroom, et al. Took forever to learn to use film technology.
Now I'm too old to start over. I envy you & others. There are some
really great opportunities for bird photography here in Florida.

George Anthony

Mar 24, 2017, 4:59:42 PM3/24/17
How old will you be if you don't start over?

vito

Mar 24, 2017, 7:17:27 PM3/24/17
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 20:56:45 -0000 (UTC), George Anthony
<gant...@gmail.net> wrote:

>How old will you be if you don't start over?

Toooo old (78)! Actually, I'd be Ok were it not for the affects of
cancer 10 years ago. Now I can't walk more than about 40 yards nor
stand around at all without passing out and I need to carry oxygen.
Not complaining - can still ride my trike and that beats the
alternative ... I used to make/save pictures for future enjoyment.
Now I just enjoy the memories sans hardcopies cuz my future is kind of
short. But your point is well taken.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2017, 7:55:22 PM3/24/17
Phone cameras are getting better all the time, and there's lots of apps for improving to shot... I think they're good as most P&S models under $250. It's a PITA packing a DSLR, and a couple of lenses around. It better to get an "Okay" photo than none at all.....

Diane Arbus

Owen McKenzie

Mar 24, 2017, 7:58:41 PM3/24/17
Saw an exhibit near here a few years ago. Some of the pictures were in
the area of 6x8 feet!

--

Owen McKenzie

“Be kind to unkind people. They need it the most.”
― Ashleigh Brilliant

Hunter Hampton

Mar 24, 2017, 10:30:31 PM3/24/17
On 3/24/2017 7:58 PM, Owen McKenzie wrote:
> Saw an exhibit near here a few years ago. Some of the pictures were in
> the area of 6x8 feet!

Glad mine aren't that big, I'd have no place to hang them.

hunter

bill horne

Mar 24, 2017, 11:54:00 PM3/24/17
I (Gasp!) agree. And even I can usually make an OK photo better with a
program like Gimp - or even Windows Photo Gallery. I've even gotten
some OK photos by using VLC to snapshot a frame from a movie taken
with the smartnotafone or my SX160.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2017, 12:49:41 AM3/25/17
All this camera discussion made me remember, and wish that Bob Hatch was still with us, on RORT. He made his living as a photographer. I shuttered about his story, that he once paid thousands of dollars, for a freshly marketed, 2 pixel Canon DSLR camera, just to be on the cutting edge. I'd love to read what he thought about digital photography in these rapidly changing times? I wonder what he thought of phone cameras?

Thomas A. Edison

JerryOsage

Mar 25, 2017, 1:39:46 AM3/25/17
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 21:49:38 -0700 (PDT), film...@gmail.com wrote:

>All this camera discussion made me remember, and wish that Bob Hatch was still with us, on RORT. He made his living as a photographer. I shuttered about his story, that he once paid thousands of dollars, for a freshly marketed, 2 pixel Canon DSLR camera, just to be on the cutting edge. I'd love to read what he thought about digital photography in these rapidly changing times? I wonder what he thought of phone cameras?
>

>Thomas A. Edison

Two pixels?

bill horne

Mar 25, 2017, 1:58:37 AM3/25/17
Megaly speaking.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2017, 3:08:07 AM3/25/17
I believe that's what it was? It was when they first came out, in the mid '90s. This was right after I'd squandered almost two grand for my 35 mm set up. In 2000, I spent $500 for an Olympus P&S that was only 2 pixels. How quickly we forget.....

George Eastman

Albert

Mar 25, 2017, 7:09:43 AM3/25/17

Hunter Hampton

Mar 25, 2017, 9:29:33 AM3/25/17
On 3/25/2017 12:49 AM, film...@gmail.com wrote:
> I wonder what he thought of phone cameras?

I read yesterday that you would have to spend at least 250.00 on a
digital camera now, to get one that better than the newest phone cameras.

Hunter

Dusty

Mar 25, 2017, 9:35:58 AM3/25/17
On 24-Mar-17 12:53, JerryOsage wrote:
...<snippage>...

> I do it because I like images like these. They aren't great, but I would
> not have captured anything if I was trying to focus manually.
>
> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1044276932286366&set=a.741775799203149.1073741830.100001122066454&type=3&theater>
> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1154330674614324&set=a.741775799203149.1073741830.100001122066454&type=3&theater>
>
> Jerry O.
Nice! Very nice! And exactly why I got the camera I did. Thanks for
posting those links, Jerry. Now all I have to do is learn your talent. :)

Dusty
--
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free.” – Goethe

George Anthony

Mar 25, 2017, 12:19:35 PM3/25/17
Those must have been yuuge pixels.

George Anthony

Mar 25, 2017, 2:03:45 PM3/25/17
On 3/25/2017 8:35 AM, Dusty wrote:
> On 24-Mar-17 12:53, JerryOsage wrote:
> ...<snippage>...
>>
>> I do it because I like images like these. They aren't great, but I would
>> not have captured anything if I was trying to focus manually.
>>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1044276932286366&set=a.741775799203149.1073741830.100001122066454&type=3&theater>
>>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1154330674614324&set=a.741775799203149.1073741830.100001122066454&type=3&theater>
>>

>> Jerry O.
> Nice! Very nice! And exactly why I got the camera I did. Thanks for
> posting those links, Jerry. Now all I have to do is learn your talent. :)
>
> Dusty

I'm trying out this new (to me) site from Canon. I've uploaded a few
images to test it out. Not fancy, just a place to store photos.

https://www.irista.com/gallery/nl2qkrnwlvxb

https://www.irista.com/gallery/mrpv4vekayvw

https://www.irista.com/gallery/1eknjwuela2t

Major Oz

Mar 25, 2017, 2:48:04 PM3/25/17
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 1:03:45 PM UTC-5, George Anthony wrote:

> https://www.irista.com/gallery/nl2qkrnwlvxb
>
> https://www.irista.com/gallery/mrpv4vekayvw
>
> https://www.irista.com/gallery/1eknjwuela2t

Hmmm.....

After seeing the talent here'bouts, I can just keep to birthday snaps.

Good looking stuff, guys.

George Anthony

Mar 25, 2017, 3:58:27 PM3/25/17
Thanks. I also have birthday snaps... many, many,many.

JerryOsage

Mar 25, 2017, 5:55:41 PM3/25/17
On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 13:03:42 -0500, George Anthony <gant...@gmail.org>
wrote:

>I'm trying out this new (to me) site from Canon. I've uploaded a few
>images to test it out. Not fancy, just a place to store photos.
>
>https://www.irista.com/gallery/nl2qkrnwlvxb
>
>https://www.irista.com/gallery/mrpv4vekayvw
>
>https://www.irista.com/gallery/1eknjwuela2t

You have some great images there. I may try out that site. I post a few
on FB now - that is all I use it for.

Again, some great images, thanks for sharing.

Jerry O.

JerryOsage

Mar 25, 2017, 6:02:06 PM3/25/17
On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 06:35:53 -0700, Dusty
<Dus...@InnerLodgeREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

>Nice! Very nice! And exactly why I got the camera I did. Thanks for
>posting those links, Jerry. Now all I have to do is learn your talent. :)
>
>Dusty

Thanks, I'm not sure that I have much talent, just patience with the
birds. If one image in 20 is a keeper I'm happy. One of the things that
is nice about digital that I can make hundreds of images - basically for
free. And get nearly instant feedback and change settings if needed.

Jerry O.

George Anthony

Mar 25, 2017, 6:27:07 PM3/25/17
With birds in flight and especially hummers, I just spray and pray.

George Anthony

Mar 25, 2017, 6:27:07 PM3/25/17
Thank you. It gives a pretty good bit of storage for free and if you are
prolific you can always pay for more. I'm cheap so I have photos on several
sites up to the free limit :-)

JerryOsage

Mar 25, 2017, 8:13:27 PM3/25/17
Sorry Don, you are wrong - you have forgotten.

A pixel is the smallest part of a digital image. Even 2K pixels would
give you an image of approx 45 x 45 pixels. If the camera only had 2
pixels (2 very small dots) you would need to look hard to find them -
even on a VGA monitor.

Your old VGA monitor displayed 640 x 480 pixels. That is 307,200 pixels.

The monitor I'm looking at now is displaying 1920 x 1080 - that is over
2 million pixels... My camera, which is mid-range on pixel count -
captures images at 5184 x 3456 - about 18 million pixels. If I want to
Pixel Peep an image at 100% I have to scan around the image.

Jerry O.

film...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2017, 2:46:16 AM3/26/17
Well, kick me for a dummy! Guess I meant two (2) MEGA pixels, meaning two million pixels of resolution? My Canon Rebel was 18 mega pixels, like yours....

Around 2005, my pard gave me a 5 mp Sony cyber-shot, 800 ISO with a 128 KB storage card. In 2007, I bought another Sony with 10 mp, and a 2GB storage card. Next, was a Canon 12 mp P&S, , with a 4GB card... My Rebel DSLR was 18 mp, with 2 lens, a 1.4 teleconverter, which was too much to carry around, in search of a shot.........

But wait! There's more! I've upgraded cameras about every two, or three years, since 2004, and now have a Canon SX710 P&S, 20 mp, with a 30X lens, and an ISO of 3200. All my cards are 16GB these days...

I also have a Panasonic "bridge" model, in 16mp with a 2.8, 60X (20 - 1200mm) lens, and ISO up to 12800... It has an electronic viewfinder for using in bright sun light, but alas - It's too big to carry in my pocket, so it sits in my truck, in it's case most of the time.... Too bad. It takes great photos, better than any of my pocket jobs.... Give me convenience - Or give me death! HawHawHaw!

Bob wrote that his several thousand dollar, Canon 2mp DSLR "investment" became obsolete in about a year, which was the point of what I was trying to explain..............

Don

George Anthony

Mar 26, 2017, 10:12:03 AM3/26/17
I wouldn't call it obsolete. Just less feature laden. It is still useable
for web things like Facebook, instagram, etc., and making small prints.
Quickly becoming outdated is a fact of most electronics. I had been like
you for several years but I'm using an eight year old 5D Mark II now.
However... it's getting a little long in the tooth and I'm getting an itch
for a Mark IV :-)

JerryOsage

Mar 26, 2017, 11:54:43 AM3/26/17
On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 23:46:15 -0700 (PDT), film...@gmail.com wrote:
<SNIP>
>Bob wrote that his several thousand dollar, Canon 2mp DSLR "investment" became obsolete in about a year, which was the point of what I was trying to explain..............

I know, and I knew that you knew. I figured you were having a brain
fart.

Many people in the know predicted that 2MP was about the limit due to
manufacturing limits. And Bob's top of the line DSLR Canon should have
been - according to most gurus - top of the line for years, not months.

They underestimated capabilities - "A hot or dead pixel stands out like
a sore thumb, and as pixel count goes up so does the likely hood of a
bad pixel." "As failure rate goes up so does the price of a sensor."

Surprise - Surprise. I think it is Nikon who has a DSLR with an over
50MP sensor. Printed at 300DPI that yields a print bigger than 18" x 24"
without any enlargement.

Jerry O.