OT? - Great News

George Anthony

Aug 3, 2020, 10:38:57 AM8/3/20
I wonder who are buying most of these guns. Antifa assholes or citizens
fed up with what is going on in this country and the politicians who are
allowing it.
--
Liberals think...er, feel, conservatives are stupid. Conservatives know
liberals are stupid.

dm_callier

Aug 3, 2020, 12:41:52 PM8/3/20
Nah, jist a bunch a good, plain folks who are askert that when Byedon wins he's a gonna come fer their guns just like Obummer did.

Y'all enjoy the day!

George Anthony

Aug 3, 2020, 1:17:59 PM8/3/20
You are obviously a product of the public school system... or an acolyte of
He of Many Monikers.

--
Liberals are teen agers who never grew up.

Bruce

Aug 3, 2020, 1:58:05 PM8/3/20
On 8/3/2020 7:38 AM, George Anthony wrote:
> I wonder who are buying most of these guns. Antifa assholes or citizens
> fed up with what is going on in this country and the politicians who are
> allowing it.

I suspect it is mostly people afraid of the politicians abusing them and
stripping them of their rights.

--
Bruce

"If one rejects laissez-faire on account of man's fallibility and moral
weakness, one must for the same reasons also reject every kind of
government action." ~~ Ludwig von Mises

Don Lampson

Aug 3, 2020, 2:28:13 PM8/3/20
On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 7:38:57 AM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote:
My guess is it's just men who like guns, same as always? 20% of gun buyers buy 80% of the guns....

Yosemite Sam

George Anthony

Aug 3, 2020, 2:49:28 PM8/3/20
Bruce <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/3/2020 7:38 AM, George Anthony wrote:
>> I wonder who are buying most of these guns. Antifa assholes or citizens
>> fed up with what is going on in this country and the politicians who are
>> allowing it.
>
> I suspect it is mostly people afraid of the politicians abusing them and
> stripping them of their rights.

Which is kinda’ what I said.

George Anthony

Aug 3, 2020, 2:49:29 PM8/3/20
So all of a sudden these men just realized they like guns?

dm_callier

Aug 3, 2020, 4:00:39 PM8/3/20
On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 10:17:59 AM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote:

> You are obviously a product of the public school system... or an acolyte of
> He of Many Monikers.

I'm crushed, Gorge. I was just attempting to inject a little folksy humor into your obviously inane post. I'll return to a semblance grammatical correctness in my posts so that you can go back to accusing me of snobbish elitism. But as a product of the public school systems of Utah, Colorado and Texas, I am guilty as charged. Since we lived in middle class white neighborhoods in the 50s and 60s, I was afforded an excellent education through well funded and adequately staffed public schools.

Enjoy the day!

Technobarbarian

Aug 3, 2020, 4:13:40 PM8/3/20
On 8/3/2020 7:38 AM, George Anthony wrote:
> I wonder who are buying most of these guns. Antifa assholes or citizens
> fed up with what is going on in this country and the politicians who are
> allowing it.

<https://www.businessinsider.com/black-guns-matter-maj-toure-second-amendment-2020-6>

"A group called 'Black Guns Matter' is teaching Black Americans how to
use firearms

Isaac Scher, Barbara Corbellini Duarte, Hannah Jiang, and Mark Abadi Jul
15, 2020, 11:03 AM

The gun advocacy group Black Guns Matter is trying to change the debate
around police violence and the safety of Black communities

Unlike most Americans, who say gun-control laws should be stricter,
Black Guns Matter founder Maj Toure argues that safety means armed
self-defense.

"When I hear 'unarmed Black man,' I'm sad," Toure said. "Because there
should be no such thing.""
[snip]

<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/opinion/black-gun-ownership.html>

"I’m a Black American. I Need a Gun to Feel Safe in This Country.
Some Black Americans never considered buying a gun. Until now.

By Chloe Brown, Tarikh Brown, Nylah Burton, Anubis Heru, Lawrence Taylor
and Kat Traylor
July 1, 2020"

"What does it take for Black Americans to feel safe right now?

For some, it’s owning a gun. Even if that’s not something they may have
ever wanted to do. In the video above, a chorus of Black voices from
across the country — a schoolteacher in Oakland, Calif., a political
strategist in Aurora, Colo., and others — have an urgent message: “Go
buy a gun. Arm yourself. And just make sure you get some training.”

This is by no means the first time many Black Americans have felt the
need to arm themselves for self-preservation. But with a white couple
pulling guns on Black Lives Matter protesters in St. Louis, right-wing
extremists increasing attacks and co-opting rallies to advance their own
messaging and half of Black Americans already feeling that they can’t
trust the police to treat them equally, some Black Americans are saying
they now have no choice but to exercise their Second Amendment right."

TB

bill horne

Aug 3, 2020, 5:55:23 PM8/3/20
A study by the Pew Research Center found one in five women said they
own a gun, while six in 10 men report owning a gun.
McClur has been hitting the range for about the last four years.
Employees at Bullet Trap said nearly 50% of its new customers are
women looking for protection.
"Over about the last five years or so, there has been a significant
year-on-year increase in women purchasing firearms and getting their
licenses to carry," said Emily Taylor, Houston attorney with Texas Law
Shield.

bill

Mike Van Pelt

Aug 3, 2020, 7:21:35 PM8/3/20
In article <rg9r5f$mul$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Technobarbarian <technobarbar...@gmail.com> wrote:
><https://www.businessinsider.com/black-guns-matter-maj-toure-second-amendment-2020-6>
>
>"A group called 'Black Guns Matter' is teaching Black Americans
>how to use firearms

I googled Maj Toure. Libertarian candidate for the Philadelphia
City Council, "A native of North Philadelphia, Toure founded the
educational nonprofit organization Black Guns Matter in 2016.
The organization advocates for the right to keep and bear arms,
and promotes responsible ownership of firearms within
African-American and urban communities."

I know nothing about the man, but "promting responsible ownership"
sounds like a positive thing, and insisting on getting training
is also a good thing. Since all these cities are in a Hell-bent
rush to disband their police departments, somebody's going to
have to step in to deal with the criminal element.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

George Anthony

Aug 3, 2020, 7:57:39 PM8/3/20
Apparently the teachers wasted their time on you. I don't ever remember
accusing you of elitism although... I have raised the issue of your
liberalism which is synonymous with elitism. I've met very few liberals
who were not pompous ass, self-important egoists.

George Anthony

Aug 3, 2020, 7:58:52 PM8/3/20
My wife owns two handguns and has a CCW permit.

George Anthony

Aug 3, 2020, 8:00:26 PM8/3/20
Pull out your Funk and Wagnalls and look up the meaning of "most".

bill horne

Aug 3, 2020, 8:08:55 PM8/3/20
George Anthony wrote:
> On 8/3/2020 4:55 PM, bill horne wrote:
>> Don Lampson wrote:
>>>
>>> My guess is it's just men who like guns,  same as always?   20%
>>> of gun buyers buy 80% of the guns....
>>>
>>> Yosemite Sam

>> A study by the Pew Research Center found one in five women said they
>> own a gun, while six in 10 men report owning a gun.
>> McClur has been hitting the range for about the last four years.
>> Employees at Bullet Trap said nearly 50% of its new customers are
>> women looking for protection.
>> "Over about the last five years or so, there has been a significant
>> year-on-year increase in women purchasing firearms and getting their
>> licenses to carry," said Emily Taylor, Houston attorney with Texas
>> Law Shield.
>>
> My wife owns two handguns and has a CCW permit.

If you'd just stop violating that TRO, she wouldn't need them.

George Anthony

Aug 3, 2020, 8:11:53 PM8/3/20
Bwah Hah Hah!

Bruce

Aug 3, 2020, 9:34:59 PM8/3/20
Well, you specified antifa types -- I was referring to normal "law
abiding" types who have finally figured out that the government is not
their friend.

Frank Howell

Aug 7, 2020, 6:18:09 PM8/7/20
Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article <rg9r5f$mul$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Technobarbarian <technobarbar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <https://www.businessinsider.com/black-guns-matter-maj-toure-second-amendment-2020-6>
>>
>> "A group called 'Black Guns Matter' is teaching Black Americans
>> how to use firearms
>
> I googled Maj Toure. Libertarian candidate for the Philadelphia
> City Council, "A native of North Philadelphia, Toure founded the
> educational nonprofit organization Black Guns Matter in 2016.
> The organization advocates for the right to keep and bear arms,
> and promotes responsible ownership of firearms within
> African-American and urban communities."

How does that work in Chicago?

> I know nothing about the man, but "promting responsible ownership"
> sounds like a positive thing, and insisting on getting training
> is also a good thing. Since all these cities are in a Hell-bent
> rush to disband their police departments, somebody's going to
> have to step in to deal with the criminal element.

It is, but just like passing a drivers test does not insure responsible
driving.
--
Frank Howell