Walmart grocery pickup is a bit behind the science

bill horne

May 19, 2021, 12:36:02 AM5/19/21
Back during the historic epidemic systemic pandemic, we started using
Walmart's grocery pickup. Even then, we suited up in our PPE after the
pickup and went inside to hand select produce and a few other things
that required hands-on examination. Turns out we got used to letting
them do the heavy lifting, and self-checkout got a lot faster, and now
we're still doing it. I'll probably keep doing it until they stop
doing it.

I just ordered our pickup stuff for tomorrow, and the order
acknowledgment said:
In order to protect the safety of our customers and associates, we've
temporarily moved to a no-contact pickup process.

Here's how to pick up your order:

Check in with the app to let us know you're on the way.
Park in a designated pickup spot, stay in your vehicle and keep
your windows rolled up.

In light of the recent Evolved Science, I thought that was funny - but
not hilarious, mind you.

Also, we went to the Dublin Harbor Freight today, and a sign on the
door said "Masks Required". There was a masked employee there, and I
asked her if she was going to make me mask up. She just mumbled
something through her decorated cloth mask, and waved me on. I tell
you, folks, Harbor Freight is a dangerous place to shop - I always
find stuff I didn't know I needed.

--
bill

Owen McKenzie

May 19, 2021, 11:36:16 AM5/19/21
I've been using grocery pickup here, and that's been the message from
the beginning. BTW, the app doesn't work

--
Owen

bill horne

May 19, 2021, 12:18:33 PM5/19/21
Owen McKenzie wrote:
> On 5/19/2021 12:35 AM, bill horne wrote:
>> Back during the historic epidemic systemic pandemic, we started
>> using Walmart's grocery pickup. Even then, we suited up in our PPE
>> after the pickup and went inside to hand select produce and a few
>> other things that required hands-on examination. Turns out we got
>> used to letting them do the heavy lifting, and self-checkout got a
>> lot faster, and now we're still doing it. I'll probably keep doing
>> it until they stop doing it.
>>
>> I just ordered our pickup stuff for tomorrow, and the order
>> acknowledgment said:
>> In order to protect the safety of our customers and associates,
>> we've temporarily moved to a no-contact pickup process.
>>
>> Here's how to pick up your order:
>>
>>  Â Â Â  Check in with the app to let us know you're on the way.
>>  Â Â Â  Park in a designated pickup spot, stay in your vehicle and
>> keep your windows rolled up.
>>
>> In light of the recent Evolved Science, I thought that was funny -
>> but not hilarious, mind you.
>>
>> Also, we went to the Dublin Harbor Freight today, and a sign on the
>> door said "Masks Required". There was a masked employee there, and I
>> asked her if she was going to make me mask up. She just mumbled
>> something through her decorated cloth mask, and waved me on. I tell
>> you, folks, Harbor Freight is a dangerous place to shop - I always
>> find stuff I didn't know I needed.
>>
> I've been using grocery pickup here, and that's been the message from
> the beginning. BTW, the  app doesn't work

Which app? Doesn't work in what way?

Owen McKenzie

May 19, 2021, 12:26:38 PM5/19/21
This one; "Check in with the app to let us know you're on the way.". It
worked the 1st time I used it, and ever since I get a message that they
can't check me in & call when I arrive. Last time I asked the del'y
person & she said the app was crappy, or words to that effect. If it
works for you I'd be interested in hearing about it.

--
Owen

Technobarbarian

May 19, 2021, 1:12:52 PM5/19/21
Walmart and science are two words that don't really belong together.
What do they know about science? They're a retailer. They sell stuff.
That's their business. Walmart has mostly given up on mask mandates. What
the government wants is ridiculous. Here in order to allow people into
your store without masks you're supposed to verify that they've been
vaccinated. A photo of your shot card will satisfy this requirement so,
anyone over the age of 12 could probably make one for you. I don't know
what the government expects them to do if the people who don't "verify"
their vaccination take off their masks after they enter the store. A big
part of Walmart's problem is that they're afraid of their customers. They
get death threats all the time. Sometimes people *are* killed. Some of the
stores have also stopped selling ammunition for awhile.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2021/05/18/33503087/all-
oregonians-can-stop-wearing-masks-outside-oha-announces-in-new-guidelines

"Fully vaccinated Oregonians no longer need to wear masks in most indoor
public settings where vaccine status is being checked according to the
Oregon Health Authority’s (OHA) new guidelines. The guidelines, announced
Tuesday, also allow all Oregonians, regardless of vaccination status, to
go without masks outside.

Per OHA’s new guidelines, businesses that choose to allow vaccinated
people to not wear masks must have a policy of checking vaccination
status, which means requesting proof of vaccination status from every
individual prior to entry. An individual’s vaccination card or photo of
their vaccination card can act as proof of vaccination.

If indoor settings are not checking vaccination status, masks will still
be required for everyone inside. Masks will still be required for everyone
on public transportation, health care settings, correctional facilities,
shelters and transitional housing, public schools, and long-term care
facilities.

While the new rules allow unvaccinated people to go maskless outside, the
OHA still encourages people to wear masks at crowded outdoor events and
continue social distancing."
[snip]

TB

bill horne

May 19, 2021, 1:19:31 PM5/19/21
Owen McKenzie wrote:
> On 5/19/2021 12:18 PM, bill horne wrote:
>> Owen McKenzie wrote:

>>> I've been using grocery pickup here, and that's been the message
>>> from the beginning. BTW, the  app doesn't work
>>>
>> Which app? Doesn't work in what way?
>>
> This one; "Check in with the app to let us know you're on the way.".
> It worked the 1st time I used it, and ever since I get a message that
> they can't check me in & call when I arrive. Last time I asked the
> del'y person & she said the app was crappy, or words to that effect.
> If it works for you I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Since I started using it about a year ago, it's worked fine except
time before last, when it was really screwed up both with check-in
before I left the house, and when I arrived. That time, about an hour
after I picked up the groceries, I got a message that my order was
ready to be picked up. I'll let you know what happens today.

As far as calling when I arrive, I don't. The system has always
noticed when I arrive, and pops up a screen where I tap my parking
spot number and car color. Also, it apparently is using my fone GPS
position, because when I check in just before leaving the house, it
tells me that they expect me in 13 minutes, and that's pretty close to
how long it takes me to get there.

bill horne

May 19, 2021, 1:47:11 PM5/19/21
And IMO, that last sentence pretty much says it all (I'm
self-astonished that I'm agreeing with you) - except that I would have
used "dumbassed" instead of "ridiculous".........or maybe I would have
used both.

> Here in order to allow people into
> your store without masks you're supposed to verify that they've been
> vaccinated.

Also IMO, this whole business of a proof-of-vax card is ridiculous and
dumbassed.

> A photo of your shot card will satisfy this requirement so,
> anyone over the age of 12 could probably make one for you. I don't know
> what the government expects them to do if the people who don't "verify"
> their vaccination take off their masks after they enter the store. A big
> part of Walmart's problem is that they're afraid of their customers. They
> get death threats all the time. Sometimes people *are* killed. Some of the
> stores have also stopped selling ammunition for awhile.
>
> https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2021/05/18/33503087/all-
> oregonians-can-stop-wearing-masks-outside-oha-announces-in-new-guidelines
>
> "Fully vaccinated Oregonians no longer need to wear masks in most indoor
> public settings where vaccine status is being checked according to the
> Oregon Health Authority’s (OHA) new guidelines. The guidelines, announced
> Tuesday, also allow all Oregonians, regardless of vaccination status, to
> go without masks outside.
>
> Per OHA’s new guidelines, businesses that choose to allow vaccinated
> people to not wear masks must have a policy of checking vaccination
> status, which means requesting proof of vaccination status from every
> individual prior to entry. An individual’s vaccination card or photo of
> their vaccination card can act as proof of vaccination.
>
> If indoor settings are not checking vaccination status, masks will still
> be required for everyone inside. Masks will still be required for everyone
> on public transportation, health care settings, correctional facilities,
> shelters and transitional housing, public schools, and long-term care
> facilities.
>
> While the new rules allow unvaccinated people to go maskless outside, the
> OHA still encourages people to wear masks at crowded outdoor events and
> continue social distancing."
> [snip]
>
> TB

bill horne

May 19, 2021, 5:43:05 PM5/19/21
bill horne wrote:
> Owen McKenzie wrote:

>>> Which app? Doesn't work in what way?
>>>
>> This one; "Check in with the app to let us know you're on the way.".
>> It worked the 1st time I used it, and ever since I get a message
>> that they can't check me in & call when I arrive. Last time I asked
>> the del'y person & she said the app was crappy, or words to that
>> effect. If it works for you I'd be interested in hearing about it.
>>
> Since I started using it about a year ago, it's worked fine except
> time before last, when it was really screwed up both with check-in
> before I left the house, and when I arrived. That time, about an hour
> after I picked up the groceries, I got a message that my order was
> ready to be picked up. I'll let you know what happens today.

Well, I had some problems today with check in, but I'm almost certain
it was some sort of mysterious problem with my phone. At the time, I
couldn't even load up Fox News. Anyway, once I got a relatively solid
connection and punched the buttons, they found me and loaded up my
stuff. There was no problem that I could attribute to the app.

zippoz

May 19, 2021, 9:17:04 PM5/19/21
On 5/19/2021 10:47 AM, bill horne wrote:
> Technobarbarian wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 May 2021 00:35:41 -0400, bill horne wrote:
<snip>

>> Here in order to allow people into
>> your store without masks you're supposed to verify that they've been
>> vaccinated.
>
> Also IMO, this whole business of a proof-of-vax card is ridiculous and
> dumbassed.

Especially since all they have to do is just scan the microchips they
injected into us.

<snip>

--

As He (Trump) was sitting on the Mount of Olives (Mar-a-Lago), the
disciples (Graham, Scalise, McCarthy) came to Him (Trump) privately,

George Anthony

May 21, 2021, 11:56:40 AM5/21/21
Harbor Freight- the man’s Walmart.

--
Antifa is an idea not an organization - Joe “Where in Hell Am I” Biden

George Anthony

May 21, 2021, 4:43:45 PM5/21/21
No real men buy Dewalt and Milwaukee wimps and losers buy the one time use Chinese made junk from Harbour Freight, did I mention loser and shit for brains?

Technobarbarian

May 21, 2021, 5:21:40 PM5/21/21
Hey, sometimes cheap tools are the best tools for the job. As I get
older how long a tool lasts becomes less important. It isn't all junk. I
buy some stuff there and like to look around for new toys while I'm there.
At least I get ideas. I don't know how manly man the place is. My wife
likes it and I have friend in Tucson that I used to bump into there
frequently. He's a trans-man I've known since before he fully transitioned.

TB

Ralph E Lindberg

May 22, 2021, 10:40:59 AM5/22/21
Exactly. I have a 18 inch "Crescent" wrench I bought from HF about a
decade ago, I think I've used it four or five times. But it was the
only tool for the job, if I had bought SnapOn instead it would have
been a waste of $$

We buy right-angle drills from HF for about $20(on sale) we use them
for sanding. We buy lots as the saw dust kills the motor. If we had
bought a "quality" drill it would die just as quickly.

On the other hand, when we need quality... DeWalt, MIlwaukee, Bosch,
PorterCable, etc are the right choice

Harbor Freight, you choice for disposable tools

George Anthony

May 22, 2021, 12:17:49 PM5/22/21
> decade ago...

Metric or imperial?

--
Now that white people have to be less white, do I have to be more black?

Technobarbarian

May 22, 2021, 1:39:40 PM5/22/21
Tool brands is an interesting subject because they're not the same as
they used to be. These days a small number of companies own most of the
major brands. Now the brands are mostly just different product lines with
different marketing strategies. I saw a guy on YouTube talking about this.
He said PoterCable tools were not as good as they used to be and he didn't
think the company that owned the brand knew quite what to do with them
because they had a brand/product line for pretty much every market
segment. At times they're just competing against other brands they own.

https://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/

Tool Brands: Who Owns What? A Guide to Corporate Affiliations

TB

Frank Tabor

May 22, 2021, 3:14:12 PM5/22/21
On 5/22/21 12:17, George Anthony wrote:
>> Exactly. I have a 18 inch "Crescent" wrench I bought from HF about a
>> decade ago...
>
> Metric or imperial?

I see you have been a participant of the Golden Wild Goose Chase!

George Anthony

May 22, 2021, 3:24:11 PM5/22/21
Agree somewhat pipe wrenches are OK if used only e few times because after some time they start to slip, OTOH my experience with power tools is they don’t last long even with just occasional use, my experience is with the Chicago Electric air compressor noisy, even noisier then Coleman junk and leaking, chop saw burned out by just trimming the ends of aluminum blinds, and not just one but both of the replacements. Small tools like drill bits grinding wheels are actually good.

George Anthony

May 23, 2021, 9:04:27 PM5/23/21
Back in the early days of my business I bought mostly Snap-On hand
tools. That was over 50 years ago and I still have every one that I
didn't lose. It's a good thing they don't rust though :-)

George Anthony

May 23, 2021, 9:07:28 PM5/23/21
I have had trouble finding a good pair of metric pliers.