The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President [OT]

Technobarbarian

Sep 12, 2017, 3:52:44 PM9/12/17

<http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/heres-how-trumps-malignant-narcissism-will-end-his-presidency-according-to-psychiatrists-and-its-going-to-be-wild/>

Here?s how Trump?s ?malignant narcissism? will end his presidency, according to psychiatrists ? and it?s going to be wild
Sarah K. Burris
12 SEP 2017 AT 10:33 ET

"Dr. Lance Dodes is one of 27 psychiatrists and mental health experts who came together to give an educated assessment of President Donald Trump for a new book.

In an interview with Salon, Dodes explained the consensus among the professors is that ?the evidence suggesting that Donald Trump may have serious mental health problems is overwhelming.?

No other medical practitioner is restricted by confidentiality the way psychiatrists are, but Trump is no one?s patient. Many trained in mental health can observe Trump and match his speech and
behavior patterns to specific disorders. That?s as far as anyone can go without doing an actual in-person exam of Trump.

Dodes began with a diagnosis of ?antisocial personality? and the qualities that people who have that exhibit. Comparing it to Trump, he thinks this is one of Trump?s problems.

?It is people who lie and cheat,? Dodes explained as part of the qualities Trump exhibits. ?Everybody lies some of the time, but in this instance we mean people who lie as a way of being in the
world, to manage relationships and also to manage your feelings about yourself. People who cheat and steal from others. People who lack empathy ? the lack of empathy is a critical aspect of it.
People who are narcissistic.?

He went on to say that Trump?s case of ?malignant narcissism? is particularly acute because he also seems detached from reality when he is agitated. An example is Trump?s boasting of his crowd size
being the largest in history, despite proof to the contrary.

?That is very troublesome because what it means is that he needs to believe it,? Dodes told Salon. ?He is able to give up reality in exchange for his wished-for belief. Sometimes we call that a
delusion.?

He said that in the past many have refrained from using the word ?delusional? to describe Trump because it can be confused with people who think they?re the Queen of England or the second coming of
Christ. However, ?Trump has a fluid sense of reality, which is a sign of a very sick individual,? Dodes said.

Sociopathy is another sign of a mentally ill person. The intersection of cheating, lying and having an emotional disorder typically converge to sociopathy.

?It is not just bad behavior that people have to lie and cheat the way he does, it is an incapacity to treat other people as full human beings,? Dodes said. ?That is why his focus is on humiliating
others to aggrandize himself, as he did in the Republican primaries when he was debating and calling people names.?

Trump has done the same with women, LGBT people, immigrants, those with special needs and others. Part of being a human being is seeing the plight of others and feeling something. When Trump fails to
see the harm in separating immigrants from children it shows his lack of empathy.

Trump manages to score supporters regardless and Dodes explained this is because many search for strong leaders while others are suspicious of them.

?As children, we all want to believe that our parents are good and strong and great and will protect us forever,? he told Salon. ?So if you have someone who comes along say, ?I am good and strong and
great and I will protect you forever,? a certain number of people will follow that person.? For many, Trump is the strong parent being attacked by media or Democrats and they want to protect him.

People trust that they?ll speak up for him, the problem, according to Dodes, is that Trump is a liar, so it?s ?a one-sided bargain.?

?Trump is a very primitive man. He is also a man who has a fundamental, deep psychological defect,? he said. ?It is expressed in his inability to empathize with others and his lack of genuine loyalty
to anyone. You will notice that Trump wants everyone to be loyal to him, but he is loyal to nobody.?
[snip]

<https://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Case-Donald-Trump-Psychiatrists/dp/1250179459>

"The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President Hardcover ? October 3, 2017
by Bandy X. Lee (Author), Robert Jay Lifton (Contributor), Gail Sheehy (Contributor), William J. Doherty (Contributor), Noam Chomsky (Contributor), Judith Lewis Herman M.D. (Contributor), & 24 more

The consensus view of two dozen psychiatrists and psychologists that Trump is dangerously mentally ill and that he presents a clear and present danger to the nation and our own mental health.

This is not normal."
[snip]

TB

film...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2017, 6:54:58 PM9/12/17
Hey man! That's just Dr. Dodes opinion! HawHawHaw!

I enjoy the recent posts on facebook from V. Fox, the Ex-Prez of Mexico, where he sez "Mexico ain't paying for your fucking wall", continuously torments Trump, telling him to do his country a favor, and resign. What's amazing is Fox outTrumps Trump while doing it! I suspect it will soon show up as a skit on SNL?

Leonard Maltin of FB

vito

Sep 12, 2017, 7:27:33 PM9/12/17
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 12:52:39 -0700, Technobarbarian
<technobarbar...@gmail.com> wrote:
><http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/heres-how-trumps-malignant-narcissism-will-end-his-presidency-according-to-psychiatrists-and-its-going-to-be-wild/>

<snip>

A few years ago a major NY hospital compared two competing treatments.
!/3 of patients got one treatment, 1/3 the other and 1/3 got NO
treatment. Guess which group had the most cures. You got it - the
ones who were untreated.

That's not to say that all shrinks are incompetent, but ALL the
competent ones work in advertising. The rest promulgate BS>

George Anthony

Sep 12, 2017, 7:34:10 PM9/12/17
TLDNR (as usual)

--
George Anthony... Only a little right of Attila the Hun

George Anthony

Sep 12, 2017, 8:56:40 PM9/12/17
TLDNR

George Anthony

Sep 12, 2017, 8:58:18 PM9/12/17
I don't know how this duplication happens.

nothermark

Sep 12, 2017, 9:05:26 PM9/12/17
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 12:52:39 -0700, Technobarbarian
<technobarbar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Around 20 years ago I casually knew the Psychology department at a
decent sized university. Biggest bunch of whack jobs I ever met.

Had another group when I was doing computer repair at the end of my
career. Every one of them beat their laptops literally into pieces.
Always needed new plastic bits from them pounding on them.

Leaves me thinking the "professionals" are mostly folks with problems
looking for their own answers.

bill horne

Sep 12, 2017, 9:08:04 PM9/12/17
Russian hackers.

--
bill

vito

Sep 12, 2017, 9:12:30 PM9/12/17
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 21:05:20 -0400, nothermark <nothe...@not.here>
wrote:
>Leaves me thinking the "professionals" are mostly folks with problems
>looking for their own answers.

In any other profession, we'd call them "amateurs" and not put much
creedance in their ideas.

Major Oz

Sep 13, 2017, 12:11:38 AM9/13/17
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 8:05:26 PM UTC-5, nothermark wrote:

> Leaves me thinking the "professionals" are mostly folks with problems
> looking for their own answers.

The psych/soch schools, morever, are solutions looking for problems.

George Anthony

Sep 13, 2017, 8:57:47 AM9/13/17
Aha!

George Anthony

Sep 13, 2017, 8:57:47 AM9/13/17
A PhD doesn't make you smart any more than a driver's license makes you a
good driver.

nothermark

Sep 13, 2017, 10:01:38 AM9/13/17
I'm not saying a PhD is irrelevant but I will say it is as much a
social issue as an educational one. Most PhD's show that the holder
had the means to hang around school longer than the rest of the class
that had to get to work to pay off their loans. You can't be a dummy
to get one but a lot of folks who could do the work don't have the
luxury of the time in school.

George Anthony

Sep 13, 2017, 10:14:35 AM9/13/17
I'm not saying there are no smart PhDs. I'm saying that's not what makes
you smart.

Technobarbarian

Sep 13, 2017, 10:31:39 AM9/13/17
In article <6fe2b220-e25b-493e...@googlegroups.com>, ozm...@gmail.com says...
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."

TB

Major Oz

Sep 13, 2017, 3:41:47 PM9/13/17
On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 9:01:38 AM UTC-5, nothermark wrote:

> >A PhD doesn't make you smart any more than a driver's license makes you a
> >good driver.
>
> I'm not saying a PhD is irrelevant but I will say it is as much a
> social issue as an educational one. Most PhD's show that the holder
> had the means to hang around school longer than the rest of the class
> that had to get to work to pay off their loans. You can't be a dummy
> to get one but a lot of folks who could do the work don't have the
> luxury of the time in school.

...depends on the discipline....

And...the majority of STEM PhD candidates are "work/study" that teach, pay no or low tuition, and receive a stipend.

Can't speak about psych/soch/ed phudds, as I have only one data point.

Major Oz

Sep 13, 2017, 3:45:28 PM9/13/17
On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 9:31:39 AM UTC-5, Technobarbarian wrote:

> "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."

I've always that was one of the stooopid ones, as a blind squirrel won't live long enough to go nut hunting

nothermark

Sep 13, 2017, 5:34:34 PM9/13/17
Just saying that it's a poor squirrel that cannot turn up a pile of
nuts at a Psychiatrist Convention. ;-)

film...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2017, 5:41:29 PM9/13/17
I remember when Charles Manson was on trial. One bunch of 1st class "shrinks" said he was crazy as a bedbug on a shithouse mouse... Then another bunch of equally prestigious "shrinks" said he was perfectly sane, and understood exactly what he was doing & did....

What that shows me, is that all that mumbo jumbo about sanity" is nothing but hogwash! If Manson would have had a broken leg, or cancer, everyone of those "experts" would have agreed......

I sure post some profound stuff on RORT. - Don't I? HawHawHaw!

Prof. Rosebud. PhD...

George Anthony

Sep 13, 2017, 7:08:39 PM9/13/17
Profound indeed, Prof. The thing with psychology and psychiatry is that
much of it is subjective, as you noted.

George Anthony

Sep 13, 2017, 7:09:41 PM9/13/17
Kind of like liberals :-) Although it makes sense... most of them are
liberal.

George Anthony

Sep 13, 2017, 7:11:33 PM9/13/17
I may have posted this before but what the hell. Do you know how many
psychiatrists it takes to change a light bulb? Only one but the light
bulb has to really want to change.

Technobarbarian

Sep 13, 2017, 10:38:10 PM9/13/17
In article <264e816b-74f6-4dbd...@googlegroups.com>, ozm...@gmail.com says...

> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 9:31:39 AM UTC-5, Technobarbarian wrote:
> >
> > "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."
>
> I've always that was one of the stooopid ones, as a blind squirrel won't live long enough to go nut hunting

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

<https://giphy.com/gifs/hoppip-film-hoppip-the-shining-TRGozJtKa7pSw>

"A stitch in time saves nine."

"A penny saved is a penny earned.'

"The early bird catches the worm."

"covfefe"

TB

Major Oz

Sep 13, 2017, 11:48:27 PM9/13/17
...heh,heh...

Agreed

Major Oz

Sep 13, 2017, 11:50:58 PM9/13/17
....but the second mouse gets the cheese.....

George Anthony

Sep 14, 2017, 10:22:58 AM9/14/17
And the early worm gets the bird.

Technobarbarbarian