Crawler Caller

JeChic

Apr 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/19/95
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Mark Kilcoyne wrote:

> Two weeks ago I decided I wanted to go fishing and needed some night
> crawlers. Well, I mixed 1/2 and ounce of the stuff in a 5 gallon bucket
> and added enough water to fill the bucket. Next, I poured the
> concoction around some bushes. After 3 minutes night crawlers galore
> were popping out of the ground in the middle of the day. I ended up
> using two more 5 gallon bucket fulls in two other areas. I collected
> about a hundred worms or more. The stuff really worked.

Well, I put some dishwashing detergent into a 5 gallon bucket and add
water, dont know how much just pour it in. Pour that on the ground and
they come popping up also. Much cheaper than $5 a bottle. Also heard
another recipe using some chemical, I think I saw it in an aquarium
guide. I also got more crawlers than I knew what to do with.

Mark Kilcoyne

Apr 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/19/95
A few months ago I purchased at Wal-Mart a product called "Crawler
Caller" I think I paid about $5.00 for the stuff. It came in a bottle
with about 6 ounces of liquid. I was at a fishing show and saw a bottle
in the bargain bin for .50 cents so I picked up another bottle.

Two weeks ago I decided I wanted to go fishing and needed some night
crawlers. Well, I mixed 1/2 and ounce of the stuff in a 5 gallon bucket
and added enough water to fill the bucket. Next, I poured the
concoction around some bushes. After 3 minutes night crawlers galore
were popping out of the ground in the middle of the day. I ended up
using two more 5 gallon bucket fulls in two other areas. I collected
about a hundred worms or more. The stuff really worked.

Now I am wondering what is in the stuff to make the night crawlers pop
out of the ground like that? I says that it is not harmful to shrubbery
or to the worms. I can verify that the worms are still alive and
kicking. Has anyone else ever used this stuff or have you mixed up
another concoction that works the same way? The "Crawler Caller"
smelled like it has a citrus base.

Any help anyone might want to give me would be appreciated. I would
like to make up some of this on my own if the chemicals are readily
available. Thanks

Mark Kilcoyne
mark.k...@aquila.com
---
* OLXWin 1.00 * This tagline is umop apisdn

Philip P.Stewart

Apr 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/21/95
In article <f.884...@aquila.com>, mark.k...@aquila.com (Mark
Kilcoyne) wrote:

> A few months ago I purchased at Wal-Mart a product called "Crawler
> Caller"
>

> Two weeks ago I decided I wanted to go fishing and needed some night
> crawlers. Well, I mixed 1/2 and ounce of the stuff in a 5 gallon bucket
> and added enough water to fill the bucket. Next, I poured the
> concoction around some bushes. After 3 minutes night crawlers galore
> were popping out of the ground in the middle of the day.

I got one of types of things called "Worm-Up" many years ago. It's in a
tablet form which you place in a bucket and set the garden hose to run
slowly to overfill the bucket and let it soak the ground around it! It
sure works!!!!!! Worms come up at any time of the day and out of any kind
of ground! I have no idea what's in it but the literature says it
irratates the worms so they head for the surface. The directions say to
rinse them in a bucket of clean water then store them as you would any
worms! Great Stuff and I think it was a lot cheaper than $5.00!!!!

Phil

Pete >-M->

Apr 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/24/95
In the UK it is common practice to use a few drops of detergent
in a bucket full of water to bring up worms - this works fine - I've
only ever used the method on grass lawns in my own garden and
seem to remember reading somewhere that worms don't like the
drop in surface tension on their skins.

Pete Marrow, Global Seismology Research Group,
British Geological Survey, Murchison House,
West Mains Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3LA. UK.

tel: 031-667-1000 Fax: 031-667-1877
e_mail:e_...@va.nmh.ac.uk http://ui.nmh.ac.uk/gsrg.html

Brian Dixon

Apr 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/24/95
Philip P.Stewart (pps@.astral.magic.ca) wrote:
: In article <f.884...@aquila.com>, mark.k...@aquila.com (Mark
: Kilcoyne) wrote:

Sounds like great stuff...what ever happened to those 'worm zappers' I
remember from the '70s? Remember those? Two big probes that you stuck in
the ground...plug it in an ZAPPO! The worms came crawling out everywhere!
I saw plans for a homemade one that was basically a couple of big spike-nails,
wires, and a circuit breaker. You plugged it in and POW! The circuit
breaker blew, and worms came out everywhere. I'm sure the liability bullshit
our friendly neighborhood LAWYERS have used for putting other industries
(sic, private aircraft) out of business quickly ended the manufacture of
the worm zapper...

Brian

--
Brian Dixon, Machine Vision Engineer, Hewlett Packard (Corvallis, Oregon)
503-715-3143 (wk), bri...@cv.hp.com (email). "Opinions & attitudes are mine!"

Tom Zufelimellinger

Apr 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/25/95

>Sounds like great stuff...what ever happened to those 'worm zappers' I
>remember from the '70s? Remember those? Two big probes that you stuck in
>the ground...plug it in an ZAPPO! The worms came crawling out everywhere!
>I saw plans for a homemade one that was basically a couple of big
spike-nails,
>wires, and a circuit breaker. You plugged it in and POW! The circuit
>breaker blew, and worms came out everywhere. I'm sure the liability bullshit
>our friendly neighborhood LAWYERS have used for putting other industries
>(sic, private aircraft) out of business quickly ended the manufacture of
>the worm zapper...
>
>Brian

Didn't they take them off the market because some people where getting
electrocuted, some problem with pace makers ?

Tom
Practice Catch & Release
Hunting

Bill Spikes

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
Tom Zufelimellinger (t...@s1.drc.com) wrote:

: Didn't they take them off the market because some people where getting

: electrocuted, some problem with pace makers ?

: Tom
: Practice Catch & Release
: Hunting

I've seen recall notices for the things in catalogs.

As kids, we made 'em. We even put lights on ours. Kept two of the kids on
our block in the nightcrawler business for YEARS.

Easy to make and very dangerous to use. They work great, though.

Bill
Safety Tip: Don't use your electric worm rod with bare feet on wet soil......

Brian Dixon

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
Tom Zufelimellinger (t...@s1.drc.com) wrote:

: >Sounds like great stuff...what ever happened to those 'worm zappers' I

: >remember from the '70s? Remember those? Two big probes that you stuck in
: >the ground...plug it in an ZAPPO! The worms came crawling out everywhere!
: >I saw plans for a homemade one that was basically a couple of big
: spike-nails,
: >wires, and a circuit breaker. You plugged it in and POW! The circuit
: >breaker blew, and worms came out everywhere. I'm sure the liability bullshit
: >our friendly neighborhood LAWYERS have used for putting other industries
: >(sic, private aircraft) out of business quickly ended the manufacture of
: >the worm zapper...
: >
: >Brian

: >

: Didn't they take them off the market because some people where getting
: electrocuted, some problem with pace makers ?

What's your point?

(yuk yuk...some people are sick aren't they?)

Brian

: Practice Catch & Release
: Hunting

Where? At Joe's Bar?

Robert Beaupre

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
In article <f.884...@aquila.com> mark.k...@aquila.com (Mark Kilcoyne) writes:
>Subject: Crawler Caller
>From: mark.k...@aquila.com (Mark Kilcoyne)
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 95 11:39:00 -0600

>A few months ago I purchased at Wal-Mart a product called "Crawler
>Caller"

>using two more 5 gallon bucket fulls in two other areas. I collected
>about a hundred worms or more. The stuff really worked.

I don't know what region you live in, but If you only got 100 worms from
that amount of work there are probably a lot of decomposing worms
left in the ground. The next time you try it, try on the same areas again
and see if there are any left alive, and let us know.

>or to the worms. I can verify that the worms are still alive and
>kicking.

How long a period have you kept the worms, and considering the
citrus base used, do fish like the worms?

Bob Beaupre

Robert Beaupre

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
In article <3nipik$9sk...@cis.nctu.edu.tw> t...@s1.drc.com (Tom Zufelimellinger) writes:
>From: t...@s1.drc.com (Tom Zufelimellinger)
>Subject: Re: Crawler Caller
>Date: Tue, 25 Apr 95 12:22:44 GMT

>>Sounds like great stuff...what ever happened to those 'worm zappers' I
>>remember from the '70s? Remember those? Two big probes that you stuck in
>>the ground...plug it in an ZAPPO! The worms came crawling out everywhere!

I had one of those. It produced loads of worms, but most died within days,
probably because one decomposing worm will do in the rest.

>Didn't they take them off the market because some people where getting
>electrocuted, some problem with pace makers ?

Yup, and problems with pets, children, rodents, and buried telephone and water
lines. A fishing buddy of mine lost his dog to one.

Bob Beaupre

bounce...@gmail.com

May 6, 2016, 11:18:48 AM5/6/16
Hey Mark , My wife found this " crawler caller" in a clearance isle at wal mart. I had it in my tackle box for a few years never thinking much of it. When spring came around and I started buying nightcrawlers at gas stations, bait shops ext, at about 4$ a dozen. I thought I would try this stuff "crawler caller" out. Its freaking amazing !! Like you said worms galore !!! In the middle of the day no less. But my problem is now I can't find it anywhere ! I've called Bait shops, Rual King, Farm & Fleet, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro shops and Wal mart. No luck ! Can you tell me where I can get this stuff? Ha, I even told my wife I am going to start my own nightcrawler buisness after using this product. Help me out please? Thanks my fellow fisherman !!!

Alex

May 6, 2016, 9:48:42 PM5/6/16
bounce...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey Mark , My wife found this " crawler caller" in a clearance isle at wal mart. I had it in my tackle box for a few years never thinking much of it. When spring came around and I started buying nightcrawlers at gas stations, bait shops ext, at about 4$ a dozen. I thought I would try this stuff "crawler caller" out. Its freaking amazing !! Like you said worms galore !!! In the middle of the day no less. But my problem is now I can't find it anywhere ! I've called Bait shops, Rual King, Farm & Fleet, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro shops and Wal mart. No luck ! Can you tell me where I can get this stuff? Ha, I even told my wife I am going to start my own nightcrawler buisness after using this product. Help me out please? Thanks my fellow fisherman !!!

Try this new thing:

http://bfy.tw/5dnk

It's amazing!

mcguire...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2018, 4:05:05 PM3/27/18
Someone in Idaho had the product called crawler caller. You could buy it in gallon bottles for about 20$. I can't get it anymore. Most likely it must of had something in it that the food and drug company didn't want people to get. It sure works GREAT!

James

Apr 2, 2018, 6:04:32 PM4/2/18
It was made by a company in Idaho Falls and he sold out to a company in
Oregon who don't sale to the public. This is information from a Goggle
hit dated 2010.