roff, claves, and aa

walt winter

Aug 28, 2002, 6:29:00 AM8/28/02
how to phrase w/o pissin' someone off.... hmmmm

bite me! <g>

a long time ago a friend here at roff sent me an e-mail pretty
much letting me know that he, most times, "just laughs at the
screen." roff provided him with mirth. considering this
individual has the knack for getting under people's skin on
certain issues, i find myself laughing with him.

i've been to six or so roff claves..... all memorable, all
cherished. the people.... friends i've met, are remarkable and i
honestly believe i'm one lucky bastid' to have met each and every
one of ya'll......

one of my most memorable clave moments was when wayno "won" the
set of whisky glasses i donated to the last penns creek
clave..... the satisfaction came from knowing that, due to recent
personal issues, all he has for glassware is probably flintstone
jelly jars.. drink hearty my friend.

the full reid duck butt award is proudly displayed on the wall in
my shop. i will do my damndest to be the first back-to-back, or
is that face-to-wall (?), winner.

steve's article in aa.... no big deal..... nice photo.... i wish
my ugly mug was smiling in it.

Tight Lines,

--Walt

Wayne Harrison

Aug 28, 2002, 8:37:11 AM8/28/02

> one of my most memorable clave moments was when wayno "won" the
> set of whisky glasses i donated to the last penns creek
> clave..... the satisfaction came from knowing that, due to recent
> personal issues, all he has for glassware is probably flintstone
> jelly jars.. drink hearty my friend.

hell, if it hadn't been for the windfall you provided, i would have had
to drink my see-throughs out of my own cupped hands.
eternally grateful, i remain

yr obt svt
wayno

TBone

Aug 28, 2002, 9:49:16 AM8/28/02
"walt winter" <w...@boone.net> wrote in message

[beautiful recollection of the best aspect of roff clavature snipped, but
very weak "and aa" component, which follows, saved]

> steve's article in aa.... no big deal.....

If the claves are important to you Walt, or any other aspect of Roff for
that matter, this is a *huge* deal. It must be taken seriously. I'm very,
very suprised that the group isn't absolutely livid.

Look at it this way.

Whatever has created roff as it is today, from the advent, to the fly swaps,
to the claves, has created these times, these claves that you, and many
other, cherish. Something the commercial endeavours simply can not
accomplish. In other words, you can not buy a clave. Whatever it was that
created this situation, perhaps it was the simple barrier to entry that
forced people to seek out the usenet in much tougher times ? who knows ?
that has created it as it is. But, when you post 4 step instructions to ROFF
in a major article with a circulation of God knows how many, for $150 bucks,
well...it really pisses me off, and it should you too.

What is the predictable outcome and has anyone besides me thought of that ?

Expect roff to be flooded, high water and muddy from here on out. Expect
the claves to suffer the same fate as the industry itself, when you'll look
back from the roff reserved floor of the Sheraton and say "those first
claves were the golden times, I tell ya".

I will, however, cite rw his due.

He's made things very convenient for you all by ensuring that the Orvis and
Scott gear truck will be along on your camping trips (in case anyone wants
to upgrade) and, who knows, maybe even some famous people will start going
!

(will they *then* contribute to roff, and if so, what would be they're
motivation ?).

It is a tangled web Walt.

Your pal,

--
TBone

Zimbo

Aug 28, 2002, 10:14:51 AM8/28/02
"TBone" wrote...

> But, when you post 4 step instructions to ROFF
> in a major article with a circulation of God knows how many, for $150
bucks,
> well...it really pisses me off, and it should you too.

This is your private little reading hole, eh? lol

IMO, flyfisherpeople who are already familiar with usenet have already
dropped in. Those who aren't familiar with usenet won't bother and those who
can't contribute meaningfully will soon move on. Same as always.

> Expect roff to be flooded, high water and muddy from here on out.

I expect that the newsgroup can handle a few more newbies.

Lemme ask you one question, TBone... Why do you read ROFF?

--Steve

rw

Aug 28, 2002, 10:20:30 AM8/28/02
TBone wrote:
> "walt winter" <w...@boone.net> wrote in message
>
> [beautiful recollection of the best aspect of roff clavature snipped, but
> very weak "and aa" component, which follows, saved]
>

>>steve's article in aa.... no big deal.....
>

> If the claves are important to you Walt, or any other aspect of Roff for
> that matter, this is a *huge* deal. It must be taken seriously. I'm very,
> very suprised that the group isn't absolutely livid.

No doubt you are surprised. I'll offer two reasons why the group isn't
absolutely livid:

1. Most people here have a normal sense of perspective in such matters,
and they aren't preachy moral absolutists.

2. They had their chance to be absolutely livid BEFORE I wrote the
article, and they declined.

Some people sent me humorous quotes for the article, but the editor
decided not to use them.

> What is the predictable outcome and has anyone besides me thought of that ?
>
> Expect roff to be flooded, high water and muddy from here on out. Expect
> the claves to suffer the same fate as the industry itself, when you'll look
> back from the roff reserved floor of the Sheraton and say "those first
> claves were the golden times, I tell ya".

You crack me up. So far there has been exactly ONE person who said he
posted on ROFF because the saw the AA article. No doubt there have been
a few lurkers, but I don't expect they to stick around as long as you,
rdean, and Wolfgang keep it up.

Stan Gula

Aug 28, 2002, 10:37:19 AM8/28/02

"TBone" <wal...@indra.net> wrote in message
<snip>

> What is the predictable outcome and has anyone besides me thought of that
?

> Expect roff to be flooded, high water and muddy from here on out. Expect
> the claves to suffer the same fate as the industry itself, when you'll
look
> back from the roff reserved floor of the Sheraton and say "those first
> claves were the golden times, I tell ya".

The predictable outcome is that things will change, as they always have.
Big freaking deal. roff has survived the commercialization of the Internet,
AOL, dejanews, Google Groups, WebTV and now a little publicity in a small
magazine. It sounds to me like you're already into the olden days were
better" mode, Tim. Trying to keep roff a 'secret' is kind of elitist, no?

--Stan

rb608

Aug 28, 2002, 10:42:51 AM8/28/02

"TBone" <wal...@indra.net> wrote in message
> Whatever has created roff as it is today, from the advent, to the fly
swaps,
> to the claves, has created these times, these claves that you, and many
> other, cherish. <snip>

All of the good times of "ROFF today" that you describe are not static and
never were. Anybody who can survive here and contibute here should be
welcome. Hell, with free AOL disks practically falling from the sky, how
difficult do you really think it is to find ROFF now? Fly fishermen, I'll
wager, are mostly pretty bright folks who can type "fly fishing" into search
engines. That Steve may have made it easier for them only hastened the
inevitable at worst. These "good times" are not the result of bolting the
door behind us as we enter, but of welcoming new faces and making new
friends.

> Expect roff to be flooded, high water and muddy from here on out. Expect
> the claves to suffer the same fate as the industry itself, when you'll
look
> back from the roff reserved floor of the Sheraton and say "those first
> claves were the golden times, I tell ya".

If I find myself at the Sheraton, that'll be my own fault for making the
reservation. No one here can dictate what ROFF is for me. ROFF is a pool
of great fishing buddies, from whom I can choose who I speak with, fish
with, drink with. The Orvis & Scott reps can't change that. Yeah, the
first time is always the best memory; but I don't have illusions that things
will never change. I don't expect every relationship to have the magic of a
particular day astream with a lover (we all have our Lauries). I don't
expect every fishing trip to be a blue-sky day in the Smokies with a new
friend. I don't expect every day here to be a font of civility and wisdom.
Each day is what we make of it, and ROFF is also. No stream stays high &
muddy forever. If it rains torrentially from the article, tie on a
weighted streamer & keep fishing. Eventually the waters will clear again,
hopefully more nourished than before.

> It is a tangled web Walt.

I do see your point; but I have my doubts that the worst case is possible
within the present text-based medium. New technologies may change what
ROFF is or how is exists; but I don't see a flood of AA readers as a step on
that path. A bunch of we old gray-haired farts may sit on the porch at the
home telling stories of the old Usenet before satellite video e-mail, and
the kids will laugh that we were ever that primitive.

Joe F.

rw

Aug 28, 2002, 10:42:03 AM8/28/02
Stan Gula wrote:

> It sounds to me like you're already into the olden days were
> better" mode, Tim. Trying to keep roff a 'secret' is kind of elitist, no?

Every cloud has a silver lining. At least he isn't doing his absurd
anti-C&R rants.

Dave LaCourse

Aug 28, 2002, 10:47:02 AM8/28/02
Stan Gula writes:

>The predictable outcome is that things will change, as they always have.
>Big freaking deal. roff has survived the commercialization of the Internet,
>AOL, dejanews, Google Groups, WebTV and now a little publicity in a small
>magazine. It sounds to me like you're already into the olden days were
>better" mode, Tim. Trying to keep roff a 'secret' is kind of elitist, no?
>
>--Stan

I don't think anything will change. We (roff) may get a few newbies. Roff is
no secret. It has been mentioned many times on the VFS Bulletin Board.
Dave

JeffC

Aug 28, 2002, 11:00:45 AM8/28/02

"TBone" <wal...@indra.net> wrote in message

> If the claves are important to you Walt, or any other aspect of Roff for
> that matter, this is a *huge* deal. It must be taken seriously. I'm very,
> very suprised that the group isn't absolutely livid.

Say WHAT?

> Look at it this way.
>
> Whatever has created roff as it is today, from the advent, to the fly
swaps,
> to the claves, has created these times, these claves that you, and many
> other, cherish. Something the commercial endeavours simply can not
> accomplish. In other words, you can not buy a clave.

What are you talking about? You keep repeating that, but ROFF is just
another not-for-profit Usenet group. If they sold books like "Usenet For
Dummies" (which they do), why aren't you getting all pissed off about that
too? What was in the magazine was information, and information usually
costs money. There are lots of books and magazines (and even websites and
newsgroups!) with information about the internet. Some of them you have to
pay for. Why on earth does this mean you are "buying a clave"? Claves are
free and the article didn't change that.

> But, when you post 4 step instructions to ROFF

> in a major article with a circulation of God knows how many...

"God knows how many"? Lots of other people know, and it's not that many.
And so what if it were the whole world? If there's too much traffic, we'd
adapt and split into other groups, just like Usenet has been adapting for
years. Who are you to tell new people they can't come here?

YOU'RE the one trying to make ROFF "not free" by restricting it.

JeffC

Aug 28, 2002, 11:06:00 AM8/28/02

"rb608" <fleis...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Hell, with free AOL disks practically falling from the sky, how
> difficult do you really think it is to find ROFF now?

Not only that, but we'll be getting inundated by AOLers about 24 hours a
day - at least for 45 days! *

* Ever notice those "1,000 Hours Free!" offers are virtually impossible to
exploit? The small print below the 1,000 free hours says it must be used
within 45 days. Any idea how hard it is to use 1,000 hours in 45 days? You
get to sleep, eat and poop for a total of 1.77 hours per day - for 22+ hours
you're on the internet (presumably raping and pillaging ROFF, TBone?)

Clark Reid

Aug 28, 2002, 11:54:01 AM8/28/02

"Dave LaCourse"

> I don't think anything will change. We (roff) may get a few newbies. Roff
is
> no secret. It has been mentioned many times on the VFS Bulletin Board.
> Dave

ROFF is well known. Much more so than I suspect many here think. As a for
instance last season I had about 4 people mention it to me when fishing.
From memory two were lurkers (Hi guys... say something) and two had been and
found it a bit too volatile for their tastes. Regardless for me down here in
this piece of the world to meet 4 people so randomly in a little corner of
the South Pacific I think it's fair to say the place is well known.

Clark

Tim J.

Aug 28, 2002, 12:10:46 PM8/28/02

"TBone" <wal...@indra.net> wrote in message
> "walt winter" <w...@boone.net> wrote in message
>
> [beautiful recollection of the best aspect of roff clavature snipped, but
> very weak "and aa" component, which follows, saved]
>
> > steve's article in aa.... no big deal.....
>
> If the claves are important to you Walt, or any other aspect of Roff for
> that matter, this is a *huge* deal. It must be taken seriously. I'm very,
> very suprised that the group isn't absolutely livid.
>
> Look at it this way.
>
> Whatever has created roff as it is today, from the advent, to the fly
swaps,
> to the claves, has created these times, these claves that you, and many
> other, cherish. Something the commercial endeavours simply can not
> accomplish. In other words, you can not buy a clave. Whatever it was that
> created this situation, perhaps it was the simple barrier to entry that
> forced people to seek out the usenet in much tougher times ? who knows ?
> that has created it as it is. But, when you post 4 step instructions to
ROFF
> in a major article with a circulation of God knows how many, for $150
bucks,
> well...it really pisses me off, and it should you too.
>
> What is the predictable outcome and has anyone besides me thought of that
?
<snip>

Is it possible that more people may be around to read? learn? contribute? Oh
heaven help us all! And what is the cut-off date for reading here? Maybe we
should set up some standards so we all know the rules and everyone here can
be categorized. I mean, I'm a relative newcomer - reading for about a year;
posting for less. Obviously my worth is greatly reduced compared to Wayno,
Wolfgang, rw, you, etc. And anyone who reads or posts here *after* the AA
article came out, well they're just the scourge of the earth.

Did I get that right? You may want to go back to the same roff FAQ/Proposed
Charter to which you've directed others and read the part written by Tim
Walker. He sounds like an interesting and insightful person I'd like to meet
some day.
--
Tim

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 28, 2002, 12:11:43 PM8/28/02
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 07:49:16 -0600, "TBone" <wal...@indra.net> wrote:

>"walt winter" <w...@boone.net> wrote in message
>
>[beautiful recollection of the best aspect of roff clavature snipped, but
>very weak "and aa" component, which follows, saved]
>
>> steve's article in aa.... no big deal.....
>
>If the claves are important to you Walt, or any other aspect of Roff for
>that matter, this is a *huge* deal. It must be taken seriously. I'm very,
>very suprised that the group isn't absolutely livid.
>
>Look at it this way.
>
>Whatever has created roff as it is today, from the advent, to the fly swaps,
>to the claves, has created these times, these claves that you, and many
>other, cherish. Something the commercial endeavours simply can not
>accomplish. In other words, you can not buy a clave. Whatever it was that
>created this situation, perhaps it was the simple barrier to entry that
>forced people to seek out the usenet in much tougher times ? who knows ?
>that has created it as it is. But, when you post 4 step instructions to ROFF
>in a major article with a circulation of God knows how many, for $150 bucks,
>well...it really pisses me off, and it should you too.
>
>What is the predictable outcome and has anyone besides me thought of that ?
>
>Expect roff to be flooded, high water and muddy from here on out. Expect
>the claves to suffer the same fate as the industry itself, when you'll look
>back from the roff reserved floor of the Sheraton and say "those first
>claves were the golden times, I tell ya".

Would that be the Henry's Fork Sheraton or ???

>I will, however, cite rw his due.
>
>He's made things very convenient for you all by ensuring that the Orvis and
>Scott gear truck will be along on your camping trips (in case anyone wants
>to upgrade) and, who knows, maybe even some famous people will start going
>!

Well, yeah...having Wolfgang, Snedecker, wayno, and asadi squealing and
crying for hours, and shown, all tearful and giggly, waiting for the
arrival of their hero, whilst holding placards proclaiming "We <heart>
you LEFTY!" is gonna make the Dateline segment and CNN coverage pretty
em-barrass-in'...and somebody really needs to make sure Louie, Walt, and
Reid stay off the top of the Orvis truck...sure, they'll claim they just
want a better view of the arrival, but I can see it now: Reid will,
well, be Reid, fall into Walt, who will plummet face-first into Larry
King and get suspender rash (sorry, Walt - at first, I saw you falling
into Ashleigh Banfield, but then I realized wayno would have dropped his
placard and have her cornered, offering to take her Mercedes shopping),
while Louie tries to talk the truck driver into learning how to do
J-turns in a bobtail....

>(will they *then* contribute to roff, and if so, what would be they're
>motivation ?).

Well, I'm not livid, at Lil' Stevie and His Disciples of Sold, or anyone
else. I seriously doubt such a mention COULD bring damnation and
ruination to ROFF. I think a lot less people will "find" ROFF from such
an article than one might imagine, and those that do will be no more or
less likely to stay than those who "found" it in some other way. ROFF,
while a very interesting NG and the acknowledged source of many real
friendships, just ain't all THAT important in the scheme of things, even
in the FFing community. For example, I had dinner and spent the evening
with a FFF national official a couple of weeks ago, and he'd never even
heard of ROFF. In fact, we spent more time discussing the upcoming dove
season (about 10 minutes) than we did FFing (less than 5 total, and
between us, there is darned little left unfished for). I know several
FFers of various degrees of renown who simply aren't interested in such
things and/or don't have or want even the basic computer knowledge to
"find" ROFF, regardless of the instructions to do so. And besides, this
isn't the first mention of ROFF, by Steve and otherwise.

My "gripe," such as it is, is much the same as wayno's, jeff's, etc.,
when someone disparages lawyers. I have no issue with rw fancying
himself the next Maclean or Voelker/Traver, or dare he dream, even Papa
his ownself, but I do take issue with several of the issues he has
attached to that. Particularly, with his alleged "Opie's Wish"
nonsense. I just can't imagine (and ain't THAT an image), even
jokingly, using such a thing to actually promote discord. Suppose
someone came right out and offered to pay someone's way to a clave for
the sole purpose of starting trouble, not couched in any "joke."
Whether it's at some "ditty bag" kind of clave or trashing the ROFF
suites, IMO, is immaterial. Moreover (this, I realize, might sound like
sour grapes - it isn't, but take it as one will), this was some blub in
a column of a little advertising magazine that a few self-important
boobs have made, in their own minds, into "All the Flyfisher's Men."
Where was all the hip-hipping when Reed Curry's _feature article_ was
pub'd by the same mag?

And as an aside, IMO, claves lost a large part of any sense of "bon
homme" long before this article, when attendance started being used as
some "badge" to be wielded. I don't mean that they aren't wonderful
memories and the starts of many friendships, or that they can't be in
the future, just that the spirit was tarnished, even just a little, at
that moment. As for myself, I missed the early claves due to nothing
more than scheduling, and would have readily and happily gone except for
that. Then, such nonsense made it seem a lot less important to try to
schedule attendance to future claves. At this point, if one happened to
fall such that it'd be a simple matter, I'd probably go, but I'd not go
to any great lengths to do so. OTOH, there are several "well-known"
ROFFians that I'd happily make plans with to wet a line and a whistle,
and there isn't a person, "ROFFian" or otherwise, that would prevent me
from attending should I wish to do so. And if I seriously felt any
beak-bopping was in order, I'd be man enough to call it plain, and do it
myself...

>It is a tangled web Walt.

Maybe, but if so, it's mostly backlash from poor spool control....

TC,

Ken Janik

Aug 28, 2002, 2:17:54 PM8/28/02
TBone <wal...@indra.net> says...

> Whatever has created roff as it is today, from the advent, to the fly swaps,
> to the claves, has created these times, these claves that you, and many
> other, cherish. Something the commercial endeavours simply can not
> accomplish. In other words, you can not buy a clave. Whatever it was that
> created this situation, perhaps it was the simple barrier to entry that
> forced people to seek out the usenet in much tougher times ? who knows ?
> that has created it as it is. But, when you post 4 step instructions to ROFF
> in a major article with a circulation of God knows how many, for $150 bucks,
> well...it really pisses me off, and it should you too.
>
> What is the predictable outcome and has anyone besides me thought of that ?
>
> Expect roff to be flooded, high water and muddy from here on out. Expect
> the claves to suffer the same fate as the industry itself, when you'll look
> back from the roff reserved floor of the Sheraton and say "those first
> claves were the golden times, I tell ya".

Of course *YOU* aren't above commercializing ROFF when it suits your own
interests....

"I desparately need some sponsorship or, at the very least, a little moral
support, I could maybe sport a small budget of $1000-$2000 this year myself.
Is this enough for 2-4 tournaments ?

I'm thinking Team ROFF. I'll put all of my sponsor's logos on my truck. I
need a boat. Will anyone donate a beater Ranger or similar or know where I
could rent or borrow one ?
--
Halfordian Golfer
ROFF Basstard

"As a fund raiser - question...if I made up some high quality denim shirts as
I said...Team Roff on the breast, perhaps signed on the right, maybe 100 of
them....do you think I could sell them for say, $50, double the investment,
it would all be returned to the project. $2500...that would be a fair start
on a used boat.

--
Tim (TBone) Walker
Halfordian Golfer

So RW wrote an article, big freakin' deal.
- Ken

GaryM

Aug 28, 2002, 2:54:55 PM8/28/02
Ken Janik <jan...@orst.edu> wrote in

> Of course *YOU* aren't above commercializing ROFF when it
> suits your own interests....

Whats the expression ... "Hoist by your own petard"?

--
Gary M

Charlie Choc

Aug 28, 2002, 3:16:35 PM8/28/02
Ken Janik <jan...@orst.edu> wrote:

>So RW wrote an article, big freakin' deal.

Well, if he wrote and sold 2 a day he could make over $100K/year. <g>
--
Charlie...

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 28, 2002, 3:43:18 PM8/28/02

Well, shoot, if wrote and sold 20 a day, he'd be bringin' in some
SERIOUS recompense...sorta like one of those "monkey and a typewriter"
things...'course, a downturn in the FFing mag market sector, and all
those options could be worthless...next thing you know, he'll be on
a...er, the street corner in downtown Ketchum, Jr. in old ratty Simms
waders, with Ralph Lauren Sierra cup and the bottom of a Budweiser
longneck box that says, "Will self-aggrandize for an option on food"...

B Holmes

Aug 28, 2002, 4:00:08 PM8/28/02
I sincerely doubt that that or any article in a periodical will
destroy the quality of the ROFF experience (did I just say that,
quality, outloud? <g>) To call it a "major article" is silly. It was a
sidebar at best.

I could compare this to a certain author who wrote the Colorado FF
bible and who included detailed directions to a pristine fishery in
Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. I thought, when I read the book, that his
exposing *my* little corner of heaven to the Godless hordes of
unwashed fisherpeople would ruin the place forever. For some reason
that hasn't happened.

Anyway, I looked back at my first ROFF post -- March 1998 -- and read
some of the names I remember from back then. None that I recognised as
having been regular posters 4-5 years ago are with us today. My point,
without some exposure, be it word of mouth or a little mention in a FF
mag, newsgroups like this one grow stale and thin. After all, each of
us wandered into this place for the first time once, didn't we? New
blood isn't exactly a bad thing when it comes to sharing ideas and
information. I doubt that it'll ruin the property values around here.

Wayne Harrison

Aug 28, 2002, 4:16:29 PM8/28/02

"rw" <royal...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
well, whatever else you might say about tim, it's for damn sure that his
"rants" in re c&r are anything but absurd. opinionated? surely;
passionate? no doubt; thought provoking? certainly. but not absurd.

wayno

Wayne Harrison

Aug 28, 2002, 4:18:59 PM8/28/02

"rb608" <fleis...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "TBone" <wal...@indra.net> wrote in message
> > Whatever has created roff as it is today, from the advent, to the fly
> swaps,
> > to the claves, has created these times, these claves that you, and many
> > other, cherish. <snip>
>
> All of the good times of "ROFF today" that you describe are not static and
> never were.

(pretty work snipped)

bravo, joey baby.

yfitons
wayno

Tom Littleton

Aug 28, 2002, 5:24:17 PM8/28/02
TBone notes:

>Expect roff to be flooded, high water and muddy from here on ou

and it was pristine and clear to this point?

>Expect
>the claves to suffer the same fate as the industry itself,

fads come, fads go. Trust me(as I have actually attended and hosted two of
them), no one is going to commercialize the Penn's Clave, or even determine if
there is another one. This paranoia is a bit scary, Tim.

>Scott gear truck will be along on your camping trips

uh-huh.....
Tom

Scott Seidman

Aug 28, 2002, 5:28:22 PM8/28/02
b...@angrytech.com (B Holmes) wrote in

> Anyway, I looked back at my first ROFF post -- March 1998 -- and read
> some of the names I remember from back then. None that I recognised as
> having been regular posters 4-5 years ago are with us today. My point,

Damn newbie!

--
Scott (fishing roff since june '94)
Reverse first field of address to reply

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 28, 2002, 5:40:10 PM8/28/02
On 28 Aug 2002 21:24:17 GMT, tjl...@aol.com (Tom Littleton) wrote:

>>Scott gear truck

Ah, yes, good ol' Scott...the famous Seminole guide down in
Florida...South Beach...Walt Hanging Banner's brother, IIRC...<G>

TC,

Charlie Choc

Aug 28, 2002, 5:42:04 PM8/28/02
On 28 Aug 2002 13:00:08 -0700, b...@angrytech.com (B Holmes) wrote:

>Anyway, I looked back at my first ROFF post -- March 1998 -- and read
>some of the names I remember from back then. None that I recognised as
>having been regular posters 4-5 years ago are with us today.

I don't know when my 1st roff post was (from a Compuserve account I
think), but I can find posts from me using Google from as far back as
1995. A number of the ones who were there when I started posting are
still around now - including Timbo. FWIW
--
Charlie...

rw

Aug 28, 2002, 5:39:07 PM8/28/02
Greg Pavlov wrote:
> Maybe, but there are thousands of other newsgroups to write
> articles about, and a heck of a lot of special interest magazines
> to submit them to.

> On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:43:18 GMT, rdean3...@flash.net wrote:
>

>>...'course, a downturn in the FFing mag market sector, and all
>>those options could be worthless...

Anyone who tries to make a living writing for flyfishing magazines is
going to find it tough going. I wrote the article because it was fun and
because a number of people in ROFF encouraged me to do it.

Just wait until the next one. TBone will have a shit fit.

scratch my ass to reply

Aug 28, 2002, 5:53:17 PM8/28/02

You whippersnappers are sumpin else, what with yer newfangly
com-poo-ters and compyserve accounts...why, when I was a boy, we had to
walk 10 miles in the snow to post to ROFF, and that was in the summer,
I'm tellin' ya! Why land-o-goshins-sake, it took the entire mornin' to
stretch the war tight enough to get a signal out to Hooterville! And
now, you young keyboard jockeys with yer doodads that you jus' put the
phone into and gabber away at speeds up to 300 broads. 300 broads!
Anybody talkin' as fast as 300 broads is gonna have problems, I'm
tellin' ya! Well, Bubbas arms is gettin' tared of holin' the strang
tight, so I gotta sign off now, aforin' he let

Scott Seidman

Aug 28, 2002, 6:08:44 PM8/28/02
Charlie Choc <hugh_ja...@yahoo.com> wrote in

I've been seeing posts from you, Rick Fletcher, Wolfgang, Tom Gilg, Ken
Fortenberry, Bill Kiene, Darryl Hayashida, Sandy Pittendrigh...

--
Scott

David Snedeker

Aug 28, 2002, 6:31:25 PM8/28/02

Tom Littleton wrote in message
<20020828172417...@mb-ce.aol.com>...
>TBone notes:

>>Scott gear truck will be along on your camping trips
>
>uh-huh.....

Shotgun!!!

Dave

David Snedeker

Aug 28, 2002, 6:45:18 PM8/28/02

Ken Janik wrote in message ...
>TBone <wal...@indra.net> says...

>"As a fund raiser - question...if I made up some high quality denim shirts
as
>I said...Team Roff on the breast, perhaps signed on the right, maybe 100 of
>them....do you think I could sell them for say, $50, double the investment,
>it would all be returned to the project. $2500...that would be a fair start
>on a used boat.
>
>--
>Tim (TBone) Walker
>Halfordian Golfer
>Team ROFF
>Lafayette, Colorado
>"
>
>So RW wrote an article, big freakin' deal.
> - Ken

Classic, absolutafisking classic. Janik 84, Bone zip.

Dave

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 28, 2002, 6:49:15 PM8/28/02

DAMN! You mean the dream has died!? And I had just, after
_considerable_ arm-twisting, talked ol' Sedgey Pothleswaite into
donating one his already-fished-from Donzis and buying 3, count 'em boys
- THREE!, shirts...ah, well, there's always Team Alt.flyfishing...they
got some real wicked beer coozies...

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 28, 2002, 8:33:50 PM8/28/02
Scott Seidman wrote:

> Damn newbie!

Newbies suck.

Wolfgang

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 28, 2002, 8:38:53 PM8/28/02
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:54:55 +0000 (UTC), GaryM <gar...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Missed it on the skin of your teeth...<G>

Bruiser

Aug 28, 2002, 9:47:24 PM8/28/02

TBone <wal...@indra.net> wrote in message

(snip)

The Scott Truck will be there? Cool! Tell 'em to bring beer.

And thanks to tipping me off to that bad, bad man Steve. It's hard to
believe that I've fished with the guy in so many cool rivers and had such a
great time with him. Now, thanks to you, I've discovered that he's ruined
the newsgroup forever for a buck fifty. Sheesh.

Your pal,

bruce h ;-)

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 28, 2002, 8:42:58 PM8/28/02

I don't recall when I first stumbled into this cesspool but four years
or so feels about right. When I got here, Wayno, Jeff Miller, Louie,
Tripper, uncle Wally, 40, Mike Connor, and a couple dozen other current
contributors who's names I do not at the moment recall (gotta love that
red wine!) were already firmly ensconced and wallowing contentedly. In
they've been here since about the time I was born.

Wolfgang
you guys need a hobby or sumthin. :)

David Snedeker

Aug 28, 2002, 8:52:23 PM8/28/02

rdean3...@flash.net wrote in message ...
>DAMN! You mean the dream has died!? SNIP

No, No, No!!! The dream needs life! The life that only (drummmmmmmmmmmm roll
here) KO-MOR-SHELL-ISM can impart! If its still available Id like to help
with sponsorship of Bone on the Bass Tour. Of course he's the ROFF Guy, but
if the naming rights or signage to be placed on his ass are still available.
. . .

There is MONEY to be made here, post ENRON.
Is that so wrong?

Dave

Scott Seidman

Aug 28, 2002, 9:07:57 PM8/28/02
Wolfgang Siebeneich <wolf...@mcw.edu> wrote in

Son of a gun, we had a Wolfgang Kueter in the earlier years! Wasn't you
at all, huh?

Dave LaCourse

Aug 28, 2002, 9:26:50 PM8/28/02
You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
Who's Who. I'm sure there are lots of newbies out there who don't know who I
am, or Timbo, or even wayno. What say we have another?

Dave LaCourse, age 65
Live in Massachusetts and fish in Maine. Retired military (76) and retired
industry (92)

Married (2nd) to the lovely Jo. Two kids and five grand-kids.

Been on roff since 96, attended 9 claves, and was clavemeister of 2.

I've met 39 roffians from California to Maine

Dave
AKA: Louie and The Pirate

rw

Aug 28, 2002, 9:32:55 PM8/28/02
Bruiser wrote:

> The Scott Truck will be there? Cool! Tell 'em to bring beer.
>
> And thanks to tipping me off to that bad, bad man Steve. It's hard to
> believe that I've fished with the guy in so many cool rivers and had such a
> great time with him. Now, thanks to you, I've discovered that he's ruined
> the newsgroup forever for a buck fifty. Sheesh.

Yep, I've been a BAD BOY!

I'm thinking of compiling a compendium of ROFF classics. It sounds like
a GREAT idea -- I don't have to write it, only collect and edit it. I'm
imagining a fancy coffee-table book with color photos (or rather
snapshots) printed on heavy paper. Big fish snapshots in abundance. I
figure the price point will be $75. Investors are invited to send checks
to PO Box 267, Stanley, Idaho, 83278. An investment of $1000 or more
will ensure prominent treatment and, if appropriate, product placement.

:-)

Russell Durtschi

Aug 28, 2002, 9:38:30 PM8/28/02

Why?

Russell
a newbie

Tim J.

Aug 28, 2002, 9:44:43 PM8/28/02

"Dave LaCourse" <dav...@aol.comPirate> wrote in message

> You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
> Who's Who. I'm sure there are lots of newbies out there who don't know
who I
> am, or Timbo, or even wayno. What say we have another?

OK - I'm game:
Tim Johnson, age 47. Live and fish mainly in Massachusetts. Work in the
computer industry. Married, three kids. Been on roff for about a year,
semi-attended Penns Clave earlier this year. Have enjoyed meeting 10
roffians.
--
TL,
Tim

ezflyfisher

Aug 28, 2002, 9:42:40 PM8/28/02
hey, ya friggin e-mail blockin pirate, did ya get the e-mail *reply* i sent you
from *this* gawdang address?

bite me.

waldo, roffian since '97 ?

Clark Reid

Aug 28, 2002, 9:48:01 PM8/28/02
Clark Reid, 38, Fishing guide, been on roff about a year (maybe a tad more).
Met 1 roffian regular.

Clark Reid

Russell Durtschi

Aug 28, 2002, 9:58:53 PM8/28/02
Dave LaCourse wrote:
> You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
> Who's Who. I'm sure there are lots of newbies out there who don't know who I
> am, or Timbo, or even wayno. What say we have another?

I'll play too.

Russell Durtschi. Live and fish in central Utah. Started chiming in here
in July--newbie, of sorts. While researching ROFF with Google discovered
that I first posted here in 1998. One post. A post that was a little
preachy about all the bickering going on in here. Then I left. I had
forgotten about it. I have a wife and two kids. I work in the computer
department of the city I live in. No claves. Don't know any ROFFians
personally, though a few of you have been very gracious in answering
quetions I have posted.

Russell

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 28, 2002, 10:17:05 PM8/28/02

Cuz things change.

Wolfgang

Bill Mason

Aug 29, 2002, 10:21:37 PM8/29/02

"Dave LaCourse" <dav...@aol.comPirate> wrote in message
> You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
> Who's Who...

Can a ripening newbie play?

Bill Mason, age 37, born and raised in San Diego, have been reading and
occasionally posting on ROFF for somewhat less than a year. Married for 5
years with no kids, but working on it ;-). Majored in biology, working as a
chemist, and hoping to move into patent law. Severely addicted to fly
fishing for less than one year after 20+ years of spinning. I haven't met
any ROFFians yet or attended a clave, but I will make the effort. I've
just got to meet some of the...er...characters behind the text!

Cheers,
Bill

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 28, 2002, 10:28:03 PM8/28/02
On 29 Aug 2002 01:26:50 GMT, dav...@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse)
wrote:

R Sedgey Pothleswaite Raoul Brian Pancho Lefty Charlie Chockenberry
wayno fortengang Jorge Tricky Dick et al Dean, age 35-44 (according to
the surveys, anyway)

Professional gambler, on loan to MI6 and charged with bringing down the
economy of Rwanda with a particularly cunning plan to corner the market
in UNICEF rice and sell it to Uncle Ben. Chosen for my unique ability
to walk down wet marble steps with a full Martini and not spill a drop,
whilst all the while wielding an Sooper Soaker loaded with Ouzo and blue
Curacao with deadly, yet stylish aplomb.

Live here (and there), and fish there (and here) too.

Don't know or care when I first posted to ROFF...OK, OK, so it's
partially because I can't really remember what name I used...if pinned
down, I'll SWAG it and say more than a week ago and at least after 1915,
maybe 1916.

Met maybe half-a-dozen ROFFians, liked them all (well, except that
Rogers SOB - just TOO gotdamed cheerful for me...) never been to a
'clave, and have no idea if I will...well, unless Lefty is scheduled
<squeal!>...

Dean, RDean
Double Naught Spy
License to Clown

rw

Aug 28, 2002, 10:33:21 PM8/28/02

> "Dave LaCourse" <dav...@aol.comPirate> wrote in message
>
>>You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
>>Who's Who...

Steve Barnard, age 55, retired. Live in Stanley, Idaho. Fish about three
or four times a week during the rather short season here.

Claves are, in my humble opinion, the essence of ROFF. They are what
makes ROFF something more than just another newsgroup. Sometimes I
wonder whether people in other newsgroups, like the four wheelers or the
hunters or the skiers or whatever, have their own versions of claves. If
they do, I've never heard of them, and from the cross-posted traffic in
ROFF I tend to doubt it. :-)

Bob Patton

Aug 28, 2002, 10:42:27 PM8/28/02
Bob Patton
Age 54
Grew up in NC but went to college and grad school in Missouri, courtesy of
Uncle Sam. Went to work for a bank in St Louis and have been here ever
since. Three kids who are grown and more or less - more less than more - out
of the house. Fly fishing for about fifteen years. Found ROFF by a usenet
search for fly fishing. My first post was about five years ago, but I didn't
really start posting until last fall, when I posted something about
steelheads in Snowbird creek. Haven't been to a 'clave yet but look forward
to making it to the 'death march' clave in October.

--
Bob Patton (remove 'nospam' to reply)
http://rwpatton.home.netcom.com/

JeffC

Aug 28, 2002, 10:52:52 PM8/28/02

> Just wait until the next one. TBone will have a shit fit.

Been bonin' up on your Dale Carnegie?

rdean3...@flash.net

Aug 28, 2002, 10:46:47 PM8/28/02
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 02:52:52 GMT, "JeffC" <jcon...@nc.rr.take.out.com>
wrote:

Well, you got yer euphemisms, and then ya got yer euphemisms...not that
there's anything wrong with that...

Stephen Welsh

Aug 28, 2002, 11:13:34 PM8/28/02
In article <20020828212650...@mb-de.aol.com>,
dav...@aol.comPirate says...

> You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
> Who's Who. I'm sure there are lots of newbies out there who don't know who I
> am, or Timbo, or even wayno. What say we have another?

Stephen Welsh,
Age: Yes, almost everyday.

Married, no kids, 6 rods and another on the way.

Occupation: computers - tech, admin, and sometimes programming
teacher.

On Roff since at least 94
I've not encountered another roffian in person.

Steve (AKA Steve)

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 28, 2002, 11:30:35 PM8/28/02
Dave LaCourse wrote:

> .....roff Who's Who....

Wolfgang Siebeneich; cuz I think it says something about me.
Age, 51; assuming my parents told me the truth; assuming that they
actually WERE my parents.
Attended two claves, one anti-clave, a couple of micro mini claves
(hosted one), and uncounted autoclaves (professionally and otherwise).
Single.
Heterosexual.
Currently employed in the biomedical research field; morphological and
chemical mapping of the vestibular system, signal transduction......you
know, that kind of stuff.
Reside in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, home
of.........um.........uh........well, Usinger's sausage, anyway.
Been fly fishing for about eighteen years and never looked
back.......hm.......you know, now that I think about it, this might shed
some light on all those sacrifices to the tree gods.
ROFFing for about four years now and I think it's screwed up my
electrolyte balance. :(

Detailed CV and references available upon request.

Wolfgang
and i AM a fuckin dictionary!

Clark Reid

Aug 29, 2002, 1:38:03 AM8/29/02

"Stephen Welsh" > On Roff since at least 94

> I've not encountered another roffian in person.

Come over for a fish then Stephen.

Clark

Jeff Frye

Aug 29, 2002, 2:35:54 AM8/29/02
I'm in as well. Age 42, married for 22 of those (most impressive thing on
my resume), 3 kids (2 daughters that go to Kansas U. and a son that's 16), 2
years fly-fishing and hopelessly hooked. I live in Lawrence, KS and my
favorite right now is the North Fork of The White in So. Missouri (above the
lakes). I am currently an outside shot at the HF clave.

im J." <fisherge...@attbi.com> wrote in message

David Snedeker

Aug 29, 2002, 2:56:51 AM8/29/02
The "Artist" (Formerly known as "Dave Snedeker")
59, painter (retired, consultant/writer/exec, labor econ, operations and
quality improvement
Live in W.Wash, island in Puget Sound, married, 2 grown kids
Roffian since 97 or 98, 1clave and 2 mini claves. Have met many of the usual
the suspects in Western US

Frank Church

Aug 29, 2002, 8:00:11 AM8/29/02
Ah heck, I'll give it a shot....

Frank Church, aka Frank Sr.here and "numbnuts" when the warden is pissed at
me. That's OK, I call her "boogerlips" as a term of endearment. She is my
3rd attempt at marital bliss, and far and away the most successful try.
Age 69, retired from 20 yrs active duty with the USAF back in 1970. In the
interim, I spent a few years as a flight instructor at a flight school in
Anchorage, AK, got tired of students trying to kill me, so hired on with
the FAA as an Air Traffic Specialist for 10 yrs, did 18 months doing
absolutely diddly except ride my Honda Goldwing *all* over this USA.
Started driving for a transport company 20 yrs ago and still doing that
when it pleases me. Switched to flyfishing about 15 yrs ago after many
years of spinning rods. Have attended Waldo's 2000 Spring Fling and 2
Rappahannock river claves. I have met probably 20 or so Roffians, and would
fish with anyone of them again, and be glad to do it. Looking forward to my
next clave, whenever that will happen. BTW Warren, the warden has cancelled
my parole for your clave. <g>

That's more than anyone would ever want to know about me, I hope.

Frank Church
Elkhart, IN

Dave LaCourse

Aug 29, 2002, 8:13:31 AM8/29/02
After the *rest* of roff chimes in, I will collect all the names/ages/locations
and post a wrap-up.

Dave

RockTrout

Aug 29, 2002, 8:23:10 AM8/29/02
Paul(RockTrout)Morr ison

Age - 36

Software Developer - Applications geared toward the geoscience industry.
Geologist in my past life.

Married(11 years last weekend) with no kids and the dog(our child).

I've been around ROFf for about 3 years, but have only posted anything
over the past few months.

Recently moved to Montana from Colorado. New waters to explore, less
people, and a higher cost of living. :) Montana is not a cheap place to
live, despite what people may tell you!

Never met another Roffian. I have met a few other people via other fly
fishing boards, one of which has become a very good friend. It looks
like I'll get to meet a number of roffians in a few weeks at the HF
clave.

RW asked about any clave type meetings with other newsgroups. While it
wasn't a newsgroup, I met a number of people a few years back via
participation in a eGroups(Yahoo Groups) 4wd group. I quickly found
that I really wasn't into the hardcore offroading and prefered to simply
use the vehicle as a means to get to good fly fishing... Hmmm.... Now
that I think about it, I became involved in a programming group via a
newsgroup. Not really a clave, but a way for a bunch of computer geeks
to get together and share info, etc. I guess it was a programming clave
of sorts, pizza, coke, and good discussions on pointers.

Peter Charles

Aug 29, 2002, 9:25:15 AM8/29/02
ROFF personae - gear whoring streamer guy - a.k.a. Petah

Peter Charles, ex of London England a million years ago, now deeply
ensconced in the little burg of Hagersville, Ontario; a few minutes
away from the Grand River. Married over 28 years to the one and only
Joanne (a.k.a. Suzie Homemaker) with two grown children who have moved
out. <g>

Working for the same bank for 25 years, the last 15 years in systems,
with five years of banking before that. Now trying to carve out my
second career as an anthropologist once I retire. Also had part-time
careers as a photographer, adult business course teacher, business
course writer, and probably a few other things that I've long since
forgotten. (BTW, I've finished the f&*^%$^&*king thesis!!! On to the
review and the defence.)

Been going to Maine to fish with the Pirate for four years (maybe
five, who's counting), and I've been hanging around ROFF since 1995.
Been to the original NC clave, the one in Maine, two Penns, plus
assorted micro-minis in the UP, Muskegon, AuSable NY (a few times),
plus fairly regular get-togethers with Greg for the local steelhead
streams on both sides of the border. (I suppose Dave, Greg and I
fishing the Credit counts as a micro too - first for the GWN).

Peter

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

George Cleveland

Aug 29, 2002, 9:46:15 AM8/29/02
On 29 Aug 2002 01:26:50 GMT, dav...@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

>You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
>Who's Who. I'm sure there are lots of newbies out there who don't know who I
>am, or Timbo, or even wayno. What say we have another?

George Cleveland, Merrill WI
Age:49 (jeez louise what a depressing thing to see on paper)
Married to Saint Jacci since 1985.
Also share the house with my two sons, Sam age 16 (sports nut morphing into
girls nut) and Mason, age 4 ( train nut and dads fishing partner).
Two dawgs also reside here. Barnaby 7 year old springer mix. Sweet but dumber
than he looks. And Frodo, a 6 month old rat terrier, who isn't that sweet and
who is too smart for his own good.
Am a flexo printing tech, working twelve hour night shifts 7 days every two
weeks. I am tired 90% of the time. It sucks.
Started flyfishing when I was a farm boy in the mid 60s. Started catching fish
on my fly rod about 10 years later.
Started posting to ROFF about 2 years ago.
Have met 3 other ROFFians and came this close to making this Octobers N.C.
anti-clave.

Geo. C.

Charlie Choc

Aug 29, 2002, 9:40:59 AM8/29/02
dav...@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

>You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
>Who's Who.

Charlie Choc, 55, Atlanta metro, on roff since '95 (at least), been to
claves in 3 countries (so far).
--
Charlie...

Scott Seidman

Aug 29, 2002, 9:53:14 AM8/29/02
dav...@aol.comPirate (Dave LaCourse) wrote in

> After the *rest* of roff chimes in, I will collect all the
> names/ages/locations and post a wrap-up.
>
> Dave

Scott Seidman, born and raised in Brooklyn. Old high school recently
considered fourth highest in crime overall in the 5 boroughs, and first in
homicide.

Spent 4 years in Baltimore, and 6 in Cleveland pursuing education. Now a
card-carrying Neuroscientist, landed in Rochester and working on the
vestibular system. Currently, president of the Seth Green Chapter of TU
(which owns no private fishing access!). Talk about fishing a lot more
than I fish, which was somewhat obvious at both Penns claves.

Married 10 big years come next week, no children, one parrot.

--
Scott
Reverse first field of address to reply

TBone

Aug 29, 2002, 9:53:09 AM8/29/02
"Dave LaCourse" <dav...@aol.comPirate> wrote in message
> You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
> Who's Who. I'm sure there are lots of newbies out there who don't know
who I
> am, or Timbo, or even wayno. What say we have another?

Usenet poster since 1984.

Roff charter voting member (when the rec.newsgroups were created from
alt.fishing).

Creator of alt.flyfishing and alt.binaries.pictures.fishing.

0 claves.

Colorado flyfisherman since 1965.

I believe that most people do not remember the days when the only articles
for weeks on end were postings from me and a very few others to get and
maintain the interest so the nntp servers of those days would not drop it
for inactivity.

Your pal,

--
TBone

TBone

Aug 29, 2002, 9:54:41 AM8/29/02

"Wolfgang Siebeneich" <wolf...@mcw.edu> wrote in message
> Heterosexual.

There is a God.

--
TBone

ezflyfisher

Aug 29, 2002, 10:34:47 AM8/29/02

TBone wrote:

> I believe that most people do not remember the days when the only articles
> for weeks on end were postings from me and a very few others to get and
> maintain the interest so the nntp servers of those days would not drop it
> for inactivity.

and i thank you from the bottom of my waders d;^)

age 48

edsheecashun: uf gatah

currently reside in the high country of nc, still trying to discover and fish
all 4000+ miles of trout streams...

married to the lovely marie for 16 years now...

lucky enough to have witnessed many a fine antic at claves..... met some real
nice people and developed some wonderful friendships through this newsgroup.

as most of ya'll already know, currently the proprietor of:

http://www.ezflyfish.com
http://www.wilsoncreekoutfitters.com

thanks again for all of ya'lls support these last few years....

--waldo

Wolfgang

Aug 29, 2002, 11:22:35 AM8/29/02

"TBone" <wal...@indra.net> wrote in message

Oops! Forgot to mention----male.

Wolfgang
sorry.

Tim J.

Aug 29, 2002, 12:21:16 PM8/29/02

"Wolfgang" <wolf...@mcw.edu> wrote in message

<splork!>

Rob S

Aug 29, 2002, 12:16:50 PM8/29/02
Robert Switzer

Age - 45

Software Development at a telecom company ('nuf said).

Married (24 years) 4 children, 3 dogs (all dachsunds...
I need my head examined)

Been around Roff about 2 years, which is when I started
fly fishing...never met another Roffian
nor been able to attend a clave. I have met another
lurker through a different board. That board has
had several "claves". I was able to attend
one sorta-clave...doing a float stock of a local
stream.

Life long NJ resident.

-- Rob

Wayne Harrison

Aug 29, 2002, 12:42:09 PM8/29/02

"Dave LaCourse" <dav...@aol.comPirate> wrote in message

anthony wayne harrison, sr., 60 years old, father of ash, 41; hannah,
15; anthony, jr., 13; and grandfather of will, 2.
second marriage currently creating image remarkably similar to the
collapse of the first tower, 9/11. married her when she was 21, i was 32.
she said she'd never change. she lied.
graduate of the university of north carolina school of law, at chapel
hill, and damned proud of it. practice (33 years) limited to complex
criminal cases in trial and appellate courts in all jurisdictions.
fishing for trout with a fly since about 1970, mainly with god's own
drunk and a fearless man, james macdonald roberts, as good a friend as one
might ever hope to have. spend far more time playing golf, capturing images
on film, and drinking vodka, than fishing. love a good conversation with an
intelligent woman. clavemeister of the first clave. been to several more
in the old north state, and up in maine, once. met several damn fine folks,
and the luckiest sonofabitch i've *ever* seen, louie laplac.
my love affair with this place ebbs and flows. i reckon the former is
the prevailing view, just now. probably has a lot to do with my current
residence: dante's seventh circle of hell.
if my estate can afford a little piece of red clay and a stone down in
rowan county, north carolina, this is what it will carry:

a. wayne harrrison
father
husband
friend

that maudlin enough for ya, steven?

your friend from the old north state
wayno

John Hightower

Aug 29, 2002, 12:22:04 PM8/29/02
John Hightower "JH"
Location: Missoula, MT
Age:- 44 +/-
Occupation: Commercial construction
Education: MS in Civil Engineering (structural)
Gear Whore status: Apprentice with clusters
ROFF: 3-1/2 years, 2 clave attendance's (Ennis, Yellowstone), two impromptu
micro claves; have personally witnessed at least one altercation with the
rabid ranger, scheduled for a third clave at the Henry's Fork. No idea how
many roffians I've met at the claves. Firmly believe claves are a necessary
part of ROFF.
Favorite Scotch: Glenfidditch
Fish: whenever possible- maybe twice a week.
Dogs: 3- 1 weimarainer, 2 greyhounds
Kids: 3 - all 19 +
Married: Linda: (24th anniversery at the Henry's Fork Clave)

Dave LaCourse

Aug 29, 2002, 1:12:06 PM8/29/02
wayno writes:

<tragic biography snipped>

Hilarious. Absolutely, hilarious.

Hang in there, friend.

George Adams

Aug 29, 2002, 1:46:36 PM8/29/02
George Adams, age 61.
Home is Palmer, in the People's Republic of Massachusetts. Married 40 years,
have three grown daughters and two grandaughters.
Currently a sales engineer for a steel service center. Fish mostly in MA and
CT, and all I can in NH and VT. I attended one mini-clave, and have met 10
roffians.
Began fly fishing at age 12, tying one year later. Both were very different
pursuits in the early fifties than they are now.

George Adams

"From the rockin' of the cradle to the rollin' of the hearse, the goin' up was
worth the comin' down."
___Kris Kristofferson "The Pilgrim/Chapter 33"

Kevin Vang

Aug 29, 2002, 1:46:29 PM8/29/02
Kevin Vang
Age: 40, two weeks from today
Location: Minot, ND
Occupation: Math professor at Minot State U.

Married for 14 years, two daughters, one labrador, and four cats. In
theory, the dog is mine and the cats are hers, but the ungrateful
wretches have constantly shifting loyalties.

Have been fishing since was big enough to hold a rod, flyfishing since
I was about 10 years old, started fly tying when I was about 12. Home
waters are the prairie lakes of central ND, which are full of pike,
walleye, bass, panfish, and believe it or not, trout. Have enough ties
to Montana and spend enough time out there to consider myself a part-
time Montanan, in a moral, if not legal, sense.

In addition to fishing, I hunt (mostly birds, occasionally deer), brew
beer, and dabble in woodworking and gardening.

Claves: Ennis, Yellowstone, clavemeistered the Pike Clave. Wish
like hell that I could make it to HF, am halfway thinking about making
the drive to Penns next spring, and will have a hard time choosing
between Petah's Brookie clave and the Olympic Peninsula salmon
clave, assuming that they all come off.

flyfish

Aug 29, 2002, 4:52:47 PM8/29/02
In article <20020828212650...@mb-de.aol.com>,
dav...@aol.comPirate says...
> You know, it's been about 3 or so years since we've done one of those roff
> Who's Who. I'm sure there are lots of newbies out there who don't know who I
> am, or Timbo, or even wayno. What say we have another?

Flyfish AKA Dave Bottom, age 49, Unix (HPUX/Solaris) system admin,
network mangler, Oracle DBA, NT admin etc...lives in Maine, fishes in
Maine, occasionally with the Pirate, the tripper and/or Mr. Goodwin.
Attended both Maine claves, but sadly no others. Two kids, both currently
living with Mom for the first time in 5 or 6 years, living with the g/f
in central Maine. X-Navy aircrew, avionics tech, electronics tech, ATE
programmer, trainer, college prof and data center manager (never again).

First posted on ROFF the first day it was up, been in and out since then
(much of Maine used to be internet impaired), for the last 5+ years
mostly in.

Flyfish

flyfish

Aug 29, 2002, 5:03:38 PM8/29/02
In article <3D6D99A7...@earthlink.net>, royal...@earthlink.net
says...
> Steve Barnard, age 55, retired. Live in Stanley, Idaho. Fish about three
> or four times a week during the rather short season here.
>
> Claves are, in my humble opinion, the essence of ROFF. They are what
> makes ROFF something more than just another newsgroup. Sometimes I
> wonder whether people in other newsgroups, like the four wheelers or the
> hunters or the skiers or whatever, have their own versions of claves. If
> they do, I've never heard of them, and from the cross-posted traffic in
> ROFF I tend to doubt it. :-)

My assumption is that other newsgroups would also have some form of
clave. Back before Al Gore (tm) "invented" the internet I attempted to
organize a proto-clave AKA an "official ordeal" for the old DEC
flyfishing notesfile crew, and esteemed worldwide group that included at
least a couple of those who can be found splorking here on occasion. I
can honestly report that after setting up the dates working with the
entire interest group I ended up going fishing with my usual fishing
buddy and not one other person showed up, not even a 'tripper or two.
It's still not clear at this late date if that had more to do with me or
the fishing buddy, perhaps it was all the ordeals, also know as full body
contact trip reports, deep mud wading and other insanities, we posted in
the notesfile.

Flyfish

Tom Littleton

Aug 29, 2002, 5:38:32 PM8/29/02
Ah, crap, there's a first time for everything....

Tom Littleton
age-47 in a week
education--U of Connecticut(MS)
U of New Hampshire(BS)
ROFF(more BS)
employment--clinical chemist for 21 years, last 17 for what is now Quest
Diagnostics

Flyfishing since 1979, tying flies since 1981, at times for LLBean, various fly
shops and individuals throughout Northeast.
Most enjoyable tying is for friends. Have taught some folks to flyfish over the
years, some of whom even acknowledge that fact.

I've been posting to roff for quite a while. Been subscribed since darn near
the beginning. Hosted a goodly sized crew the past two years at the Penn's
Clave, which grew out of verbal abuse directed towards the NC crew about wimpy
little jump-across streams. Have met with, fished with, drank with and/or dined
with quite a few fine folks thank to this medium.

All this has been possible with the support of my wife, Lisa(14 years putting
up with me), daughter Jeanine and a handful of close friends in CT, VT, NH and
PA who I wouldn't trade for anything and would kill to defend. A special
hats-off to my parents, who are still going strong in their 80's, and must've
done something right......
Tom

Bob Weinberger

Aug 29, 2002, 5:49:59 PM8/29/02

Bob Weinberger, age 61.
Home - La Grande, OR , which is in the heart of World Class
steelheading and trout fishing. However, regardless of which
direction I go, the World Class waters are all ~ 2 1/2 hrs drive, but
decent fishing available 5-30 min. away.
Occupation - semi retired from 40+ yrs in natural resource mgmt. -
Gov't, Industrial, & independant Consultant. Retired from Navy
Reserve (27yrs.) as an O6 in 92.
Married to my first (& current) wife 33 years; two grown children.
Started fishing at age 7 - first fish was caught on a fly (sunfish).-
Fished various methods, but almost exclusively flyfishing last 30+
yrs. Concentrate on summer run steelhead from early July to late
Nov. - trout the remainder of the year.
Hunt - Elk & upland birds. (qiut deer hunting about 15 yrs ago).
Hosted a steelhead fishing/forestry tour mini- clave.
Have personally met 3 other ROFFians

Stephen Welsh

Aug 29, 2002, 5:43:48 PM8/29/02
In article <2rib9.918$Y3.1...@news.xtra.co.nz>,
clar...@xtra.nospam.co.nz says...

> Come over for a fish then Stephen.

Would love to ...

Steve

Shawn Armstrong

Aug 29, 2002, 5:57:33 PM8/29/02
Shawn Armstrong, age 27. My living and fishing in Alaska is funded by a
Netowrk Engineering career at the University of Alaska. Been FFing for
a few years, tying for a few months, and lurking in roff for about six
months, posting for the last two or so. No claves in Alaska, at least
in the last six months that I've heard of, and no one I've met in this
state will admit to being associated with this bunch. :-)

Frank Reid

Aug 29, 2002, 7:15:47 PM8/29/02
Frank Reid, my virtual brother is Clark Reid and my erstwhile fake father is
Frank Church, born in Chino, California. Computer Security Consultant and
Systems Design Security Officer, gaduate of Bellevue University, Bellevue,
NE (SAAALUTE!) MS-CIS, CISSP., Walmart Greeter, Water Safety Consultant,
Inventor of the Full-Reid, retired USAF Master Sergeant (2000) after 22yrs,
10 months where I was into Missile Maintenance, Hungarian and German
Linguist, Digital Mapping, Charting and Geodesy, Commercial Satelite Imagery
and economic, military and terrorism analyst.
Married to Beautimous Brenda for now over 18 years (who is as meek and
genteel as a WWF wrestler can get), two daughters, Crystal age 22 and
Anneliese, age 14. One blond dog Topaz, who is dumber than he looks and a
deaf cat (who doesn't care to learn to sign) Bee Bop.
Live in Severn, Maryland and been to both Penn's, both Rapahannock, the
Boston Massacre Part Deux, the Virginia Fly Tie In and some very
mini-claves. Coined the phrase Splork Vang Mu. Been around ROFF since
September of 99.
My turn-ons are walks in the stream with Asadi, removing hooks from my face,
and fishing for brookies from my cot.
I wanna be the Pirate when I grow up.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply.

Jo Foster

Aug 29, 2002, 7:18:50 PM8/29/02

Dont know what started this (changed OS on my pc) but here goes.......

Jo Foster age 31
Jill of all trades, LAN admin, people manager, chef, gardener, cleaner,
flyfisher, teacher, webdesigner, hardware engineer, plumber, builder,
electrician, fitter, welder, mechanic, draughtsmen, flyfisher,
huntergatherer,administrator, did I mention flyfisher.

Past life..........Dairy Farm Manager, Jockey, trainer, sales rep. Have
played many sports at high level.

Missed anything???
Oh yeah, flyfishing round 7 years, tying 7 years, still fish out of 1
flybox, think large number of anglers are credit card chumps,

3 kids, wonderful partner who understands the call of flyfishing but never
goes.

DCWDFF

Aug 29, 2002, 7:25:37 PM8/29/02
Here are my stats.
Big Dale
age 56
Started hanging out with this bunch sometime in 98
Atttended Wayno's Clave, Waldo's Spring Fling, The Yellowstone clave, and
Jeff's Anti-Clave. Don't know if I will make it to a clave this year or not.
Started fly fishiing back when I was 7 or 8 years old. Prefer catching
bluegills to everything else. I guess I am kind of weird about that too. Oh
yes, I almost forgot I Are A Red Raider and we already got out asses kicked all
over the state of Ohio.

Big Dale

Dave LaCourse

Aug 29, 2002, 7:43:19 PM8/29/02
Frank Jr. writes:

<snip>

>I wanna be the Pirate when I grow up.

<SPLORK VANG MU>

Peter Charles

Aug 29, 2002, 8:03:07 PM8/29/02
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:15:47 -0400, "Frank Reid"
<moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote:

[snip]

>I wanna be the Pirate when I grow up.

Sorry, the job's been taken forever.

jeff

Aug 29, 2002, 7:57:23 PM8/29/02
i'll miss you - won't seem like a proper fall in the smokies with your
absence this year.

jeff

Bruiser

Aug 29, 2002, 9:04:51 PM8/29/02
Bruce Hopper. I'll turn 40 at about 5pm on Sept 20 and can virtually
guarantee that I will cushion the blow by being up to my knees in the river
at that exact moment.

I am a securities broker and share my little house/big yard with Heidi, four
cats and two dogs. The puppy is a Great Pyrennes Great Dane cross and
anytime you mix the Greats I think you've got trouble. Seems like if we're
going to have any kids we better get going but what the hell.

Drove my rental car from Butte to Ennis. Showed up as a stranger, left with
a bunch of new friends. Warren had even saved me a grass campsite for my
tent. After that I've seen about 12 guys each of the last two winters for 4
days on the San Juan and I fished with Steve, Willi, and Warren in the
Henry's Fork last September. That's when we decided to try to get everybody
back this year and commercialize the hell out of ROFF (g).

Basically I'm counting the days - and wondering what gear I'll forget to
bring.

I've spent my winter weekends assisting sit down skiers (paraplegic,
muscular dystrophy, quads, etc) at Santa Fe Ski Area for the last 13 years.
Time Flies.

And I love that Bluegrass, Newgrass, Alt.Country and Folk music.

And all the biographies are excellent, btw.

bruce h

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 29, 2002, 7:49:13 PM8/29/02
Scott Seidman wrote:

> Scott Seidman........one parrot......

As my father died some years ago, I too am now the product of a broken
home. Believe me, I can feel your pain. It's hard enough growing up in
this world with two pare........um..........oh.........heh,
heh.....never mind.

Wolfgang
who just KNOWS he's gonna be an orphan some day. :(

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 29, 2002, 8:10:18 PM8/29/02
DCWDFF wrote:

> ......Prefer catching
> bluegills to everything else. I guess I am kind of weird about that too......

Having spent time with and shared beer and bullshit with Big Dale at one
clave and one anti-clave, I can attest that he is weird enough to be
welcome, but anyone who believes that a preference for bluegills is
indicative of weirdness is.......well......weird.

Wolfgang
who caught 30-40 of the little darlings last sunday while masterfully
remaining conscious for a full three or four hours in a belly boat on a
gorgeous late summer day with a net full of heineken dangling over the
side.

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 29, 2002, 8:13:33 PM8/29/02
Frank Reid wrote:

> ....My turn-ons are walks in the stream with Asadi.....

Oh man, you have GOT TO go deer petting with him some time!

Wolfgang
hey john! i WILL get those pictures to you some
time.......um.......i've been busy.....yeah, that's it!

RockTrout

Aug 29, 2002, 8:41:54 PM8/29/02
> who caught 30-40 of the little darlings last sunday while masterfully
> remaining conscious for a full three or four hours in a belly boat on a
> gorgeous late summer day with a net full of heineken dangling over the
> side.

Heineken? F*&^ that shit, Pabst Blue Ribbon.... :) One of my favorite
lines from a very weird movie..

Clark Reid

Aug 29, 2002, 8:46:06 PM8/29/02
No room for modesty Bro.. you left out being the creator of the "Full Reid"
and "Full Reid with a quater twist"!

Clark

"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message

Stephen L . Cain

Aug 29, 2002, 8:48:53 PM8/29/02
Name: Steve Cain
Bust: 45 Waist: 36 Hips: 41
Height: 6'-3" Weight: 225 lb
Birth Date: 11-08-1973 Birth Place: Goshen, NY Current Residence: Newark,
DE
Ambitions: Learn to double-haul, learn to read, actually catch a steelhead,
become a model
Turn-ons: Long walks on the beach, well-tied terrestrials, Highland Malt and
brook trout
Turnoffs: Traffic jams, wind knots, bad breath, hard books and the Taliban
In ten years, I hope I am: a made man.
My fantasy vacation: A private river with wild cutts, lots of mountains, a
hot tub and the Sea Gals.

Joe McIntosh

Aug 29, 2002, 9:49:17 PM8/29/02
Joe McIntosh -Lurker-Some Creek Indian blood-Age 72 in Nov.Live 8 hours from
mountain trout fishing so don"t get much time on the water.
Enjoyed too much single malt at Wayno"s first clve and lots of friendship
and fun at five other claves. [leaving for Henry"s Fork in ten days.]
Main hobby tennis [senior doubles]
Graduate of Univ.of Md.Served in Air Force-transferred to Army
paratroopers-the 1st Lt. Regtmental Commo Officer in Korea.
Retired in Wilmington N.C. with 2nd wife-a real keeper

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 29, 2002, 9:50:23 PM8/29/02

Ah, PBRs! Used to slam a lot of those back in the old days......before
I grew taste buds. Won a cooler that way once.....not mention a couple
hundred in cash. Short story, but I could make it long on a hike down a
mountain trail some day.....remind me. Lots of weird movies out there;
this doesn't ring a bell.

Wolfgang
who, truth be told, has even been known to quaff a bud or two at the end
of a twelve mile vertical.....as jeffie and tripper can attest.

RockTrout

Aug 29, 2002, 11:50:06 PM8/29/02
> > Heineken? F*&^ that shit, Pabst Blue Ribbon.... :) One of my favorite
> > lines from a very weird movie..
>
> Ah, PBRs! Used to slam a lot of those back in the old days......before
> I grew taste buds. Won a cooler that way once.....not mention a couple
> hundred in cash. Short story, but I could make it long on a hike down a
> mountain trail some day.....remind me. Lots of weird movies out there;
> this doesn't ring a bell.

I thought for sure you would have seen this movie. It was with Dennis
Hopper and Kyle MacLachlan, and a young Laura Dern. Blue Velvet was
the flick and it is pretty darn weird. http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?
d=hv&id=1800039098&cf=info&intl=us Check it out sometime, not advisable
for small childern.

Bob Patton

Aug 30, 2002, 12:07:07 AM8/30/02

> //snip//

> who, truth be told, has even been known to quaff a bud or two at the end
> of a twelve mile vertical.....as jeffie and tripper can attest.

Quaff a WHAT did you say???

--
Bob Patton (remove 'nospam' to reply)
http://rwpatton.home.netcom.com/

Wolfgang Siebeneich

Aug 30, 2002, 12:23:37 AM8/30/02

Saw the movie, don't remember the line. Hopper is a sick
sonofabtich......I admire that. And Isabella Rosselini.....whew!

Wolfgang

cy...@tiny.net.invalid

Aug 30, 2002, 12:59:19 AM8/30/02
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:38:30 -0600, Russell Durtschi <r...@sfcn.org>
wrote:

>Wolfgang Siebeneich wrote:
>> Scott Seidman wrote:
>>>Damn newbie!

>> Newbies suck.

>> Wolfgang
>
>Why?
>Russell
>a newbie

I think* it was a joke, Russell.

--
rbc: vixen Fairly harmless

remove invalid or hit reply to email.
Though I'm very slow to respond.
http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Jo Foster

Aug 30, 2002, 12:58:15 AM8/30/02
Oh yeah and a bottle of 1966 Santos Port awaiting the magic fish

It is loading more messages.