jet skiers

Andrew meikle

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
My brother inlaw was fishing with a buddy, when they were rudely
interrupted by two jet skiers in their late teens early 20's. well you
would think that at that age you would have the intelligents, and respect
to know that racing by at 20 feet is a big NO. anyway my brother in
law's fishing buddy tells him to just move to another spot. but my
brother In law thinks screw that they were there first and it's a big lake
they shouldn't have to move... So he gestures to the young lads to come over
with a wave and big smile. they see him thinking they are gonna get some
praise for their awesome jet ski skills, as soon as they were with in 5
feet. my Bro In law screams "Get the fuck away from here or I'm gonna
sink your fucking jet skis and make you swim home!!!) It took about 3
seconds (they were a little slow) but they raced out never to be seen
again. anyway I thought it was a funny story. and some of those jet
skiers have no clue how close they sometimes come to getting their asses
kicked, cause they don't have any respect for other boaters or anglers on
the water. hell every angler knows there is a space zone you don't cross
when fishing near other anglers, it's just plane respect, and common courtesy.

tight lines and exciting hook sets...

-Andrew
--
<--------------------l Andrew Meikle l-------------------->
<-----------------------l Ch...@freenet.carleton.ca l----------------------->

Bob Redding

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
I like your brother in law, he has the right attitude. I can catch them,
just haven't figured out how to dress them out. Thought about herb
dressing, like what mom uses to stuff the turkey. Asked the lady what she
thought, and she told me that it sounds like they have already been stuffed.

Thought about it a minute, but she had already left the room before I could
ask "Do you mean this is just another type of turkey".

-- Go fishing. And may your fish be as big as your tales!
Columbia SC, Lake Murray

Andrew meikle <ch...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

Dr. Hook

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Andrew,
Think of this next time you run across those pains in the ass. Surely
you have a rather large crankbait in your tackle box. Tie that puppy on
and give it a toss in thier direction. Remember though, it's kinda like
Duck Hunting....... You must lead in your aim so the bait gets there at
the right time.
DH

S & C Clark

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Hey Dr. hook long time no see! How ya been?
--
Steve from Stony
Dr. Hook <DirtyDe...@webtv.net> wrote in message

F- TRAIN>>

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Chunked a carolina rig at one one time ,barely missed never saw him
again.--LIP~RIP'R

Anonymous

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:26:52 -0500, "Bob Redding" <Bob-R...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

Jet skiers ought to get a life!
They have absolutely NO love or respect for Mother Nature.
For that matter, they have no consideration for ANYONE!
We should string up the creep who invented these useless, noisy toys.
They're just another way for manufacturers to shake-the-moneytree.

for his

Anonymous

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On 13 Jan 2000 01:35:34 GMT, mike...@aol.com (MikeE Getz) wrote:

>Andrew,
>Don't forget to use 4lb line, you don't want them to jerk you from the boat
>once the hook is set.
>
>Mike Getz
>Manassas, VA

Better yet, use Hi-test Spiderwire braid, then after you hookup
with a Jetski Jockey, just drop the butt in a rod holder!

Anonymous

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 02:13:10 GMT, "Wes Montgomery" <wmo...@cgocable.net> wrote:

>This not intended to be a joke but really hook the bassterds I would with
>absolutely no hesitation. Think about it if he has a 12'' swick (musky lure)

make that "Suick"

Andrew meikle

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Hmmm I have an old Muskey lure I sometimes use for trolling. big treble
hooks too, and they are sharp as hell, as all hooks should be. Next time
I will toss that in their general direction, like their heads :)

Take a kid fishing, and start the next generation of anglers-Engage :)

MikeE Getz

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00

Wes Montgomery

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
This not intended to be a joke but really hook the bassterds I would with
absolutely no hesitation. Think about it if he has a 12'' swick (musky lure)
hanging from his leg or arm neither he nor his friends will have the time to
hassle you. Personally I bounce a 2'' pencil lead sinker off them they think
that they just got shot.

Dana Hinkle

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
my dad was night fishing with a buddy of ours a few years ago ...
about 3:30 in the morning, they're sitting back in a cove fishing and they
hear that all too familiar sound of an approaching jet ski ....
they both said that, at first, they just thought they were both sleepy and
were hearing things ...
surely, they thought, some idiot isn't out here riding one of those things
in the dark ...
but then they said one came flying around the point from the main channel,
wide ass open, buzzed a quick circle around the cove and sped off back down
the river ....
they both agreed that they think the guy never even saw them

and I agree with one of the previous posts about stringing up whoever
invented those things.... they definitely get my vote for the worst
invention of the 20th century

Tommy Jinks

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
If you folks will forgive me for reposting one of my old posts I
think I can solve a lot of problems. The following is an post
I made in response to one of Bob Reddings posts. The discussion
was with new fisherman but in his post Bob mentioned snagging
Jet skiers. Hers' my reply:

Just a note here because you're new to the sport and all.

You will often see some of the more advanced fishermen like Mr.
Redding make reference to catching or attempting to catch Jet Skiers
with fishing equipment or other readily available hurlable objects.

Please, please, please don't try this until you've been fishing for
a number of years and learned the patterns and behaviors of your
intended victims (notably homunus jetskius, excuse my latin). Like
many sports, while this may appear easy to the casual observer it
is very very difficult. Using normal lightweight tackle to snare
and unseat an unwary jet skier takes many years of practice. Without
the proper experience you can easily lose your lures, break lines,
ruin your reels and yes, some have even been known to break rods on
more than one occasion due to bad drag settings.

We often recommend that the beginning jet ski fisherman begin with
heavier equipment like salt water tackle and then work his or her
way down to the lighter bass fishing tackle. It's also a good idea
to take the rear seat for more experienced fisherman and learn from
the example. Any truly experienced fisherman will be glad to show
you the ropes once your ready to move up.

Don't worry about it though. With proper equipment, the right
training and a little patience you'll be out there snaring the
true ugly suckers of the fishing world with the best of them

Thanks,
Tommy

Maybe we should add that one to the FAQ...

-Tommy

Andrew meikle wrote:

> My brother inlaw was fishing with a buddy, when they were rudely
> interrupted by two jet skiers in their late teens early 20's. well you
> would think that at that age you would have the intelligents, and respect
> to know that racing by at 20 feet is a big NO. anyway my brother in
> law's fishing buddy tells him to just move to another spot. but my
> brother In law thinks screw that they were there first and it's a big lake
> they shouldn't have to move... So he gestures to the young lads to come over
> with a wave and big smile. they see him thinking they are gonna get some
> praise for their awesome jet ski skills, as soon as they were with in 5
> feet. my Bro In law screams "Get the fuck away from here or I'm gonna
> sink your fucking jet skis and make you swim home!!!) It took about 3
> seconds (they were a little slow) but they raced out never to be seen
> again. anyway I thought it was a funny story. and some of those jet
> skiers have no clue how close they sometimes come to getting their asses
> kicked, cause they don't have any respect for other boaters or anglers on
> the water. hell every angler knows there is a space zone you don't cross
> when fishing near other anglers, it's just plane respect, and common courtesy.
>
> tight lines and exciting hook sets...

Wes Montgomery

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
I second that it should be added

Steve Huber

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00

Andrew meikle wrote in message <85ivg9$s2k$1...@freenet9.carleton.ca>...

> My brother inlaw was fishing with a buddy, when they were rudely
>interrupted by two jet skiers <snip>

It's been my experience that a St. Croix 6.5' musky rod, 36 pound braided
dacron and a 10-12" Bobbie Bait works great for Jet Skiers. The Bobbie Bait
has the proper aerodynamics for accurate casting and makes a satisfying
WHACK upon contact with the offending machine. With this rig (hooks removed
to prevent lawsuits), I have had entire bays to myself.

On several lakes that I fish, they are frequented by these brainless wasters
of oxygen and I keep a spare rod rigged this way when fishing these waters.
I've found that just a fast, flat trajectory in the near vicinity of these
morons will generally cause them to give me a WIDE berth. After a time or
two, it seems that word has gotten around and I'm known by sight, I have
some pretty quiet fishing. But it pays to be ready.
--
Steve @ G & S Guide Service http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Mad-Mikey

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
NOT THE HEAD! NOT THE HEAD! Extremely poor hook penetration, and
you'll never get the hook through the bone. If your casting ability is
extremely accurate, you ought to be able to cast between the extended
arms and the abdomen. Much better hook penetration, and they're easier
to release after using a fillet knife to cut a small slit in the belly
flap for hook extraction. Should the jet skier let go of the jet ski,
so much the better as it allows you time to reel in and get off another
cast or two. Having to cut off a point on the treble to get your lure
back after hooking them in the head is a waste of a good hook.

--
"Mad-Mikey" At first, fishing and hunting were just hobbies,
then they became addictions taking all my time

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MMccoy01

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Yeah, but sometimes they come in handy. A couple of years ago, I was spending
the night at a lake. That afternoon, there was a pesky jet skier buzzing around
me but I just gave him a dirty look and let it go. As darkness approached, I
beached my boat and crawled into the camper shell for some sleep. The next
morning I awoke to find my boat gone. The water rose several inches during the
night and my boat floated away. I could see a little spot out in the main lake
channel that looked like it might be my boat. I jumped in the truck and drove
around to another launch ramp and there were the jet skiers sleeping in a
tent. I told them of my situation and one of them jumped on the ski and
retreived my boat for me. I've never said anything negative about a jet skier
since.

Mark McCoy
Tennessee</a>

Dave Clark

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
MMccoy01 wrote:

> Yeah, but sometimes they come in handy. A couple of years ago, I was spending
> the night at a lake. That afternoon, there was a pesky jet skier buzzing around
> me but I just gave him a dirty look and let it go. As darkness approached, I
> beached my boat and crawled into the camper shell for some sleep. The next
> morning I awoke to find my boat gone. The water rose several inches during the
> night and my boat floated away. I could see a little spot out in the main lake
> channel that looked like it might be my boat. I jumped in the truck and drove
> around to another launch ramp and there were the jet skiers sleeping in a
> tent. I told them of my situation and one of them jumped on the ski and
> retreived my boat for me. I've never said anything negative about a jet skier
> since.

Yep, usually it's 10% of the group that gives 100% of
the group a bad reputation. There are plenty of PWC riders
out there that respect others, but it's the few that are
jerks that give them all a bad name. I'm sure the world
outside of bass fishing has similar views of us in bass
boats...

--
Dave Clark davc...@austin.ibm.com

S & C Clark

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Hey there Bob my turn to stay home today with bugle lessons. ( Cold/flue )
It occurred to me that the feelings towards these "jetskiers" seems to be
getting mixed results. Maybe they are not all that bad of peoples. I don't
know but if someone was to come that close to a boat that has nasty things
being cast out of them at random intervals, things that could hurt them,
can't be all that bad? They must be friendly types.....they must be that
close to invite the owner of the boat to go water skiing! Yep that's it!
This season when the water is warmer I am going to put my water skies up on
the front platform so that when I hear one coming just slip the skies on and
cast that 7" Rapala at their backs but just to snag them in the wet suit and
do one of those "dry dock take-offs" from the front casting deck of the
boat! ( If I had larger feet I wouldn't need skies, I only have size
nines ) I have some old dacron line that is unbreakable just for this
application! Now I have to get cracking on designing a new handle for
special type of new fishing/water-skiing casting rod. One with a "Y"
handle like that of a tow rope for water skiing. HELP RodMaker is
there already one of these on the market?
--
Steve from Stony =8-)

Bob Redding <Bob-R...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Steve Huber

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Again, this is a repost. Sorry

Bob Redding

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Hey, that is a great idea Beats sucking your thumb when the bite is off!

Now what could be real fun, is have those skies on the casting deck, slip
your feet into them when a Beauty bends your rod in half and ride with
him/her until you know where they run! Just hope it is deep water and not
that knock down!

-- Go fishing. And may your fish be as big as your tales!
Columbia SC, Lake Murray

S & C Clark <swamp...@sprint.ca> wrote in message

MoBassFisherman

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
I have had jet ski's come in the area I was fishing and try "spraying" me
with water. Sometimes coming within 10-15 foot of me. I got to where I
would carry a pocket full of 3/16 oz egg sinkers, when they came at me, I
let them fly. I have also been guilty of tossing a superspook over them and
let it hang about 6 ft above their heads then pull back before it falls.
This usually gets their attention. Problem is that these "kids" have not
been raised on the water, there for they have no respect for their
surroundings or others sharing the water in which brings them enjoyment.

--
Keep a tight line

MoBassfisherman
http://members.cland.net/~cburks

*One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one's fishing experiences
increases, and that is the paramount importance of one's fishing companions.

"Andrew meikle" <ch...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> My brother inlaw was fishing with a buddy, when they were rudely

RGarri7470

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
>Problem is that these "kids" have not
>been raised on the water, there for they have no respect for their
>surroundings or others sharing the water in which brings them

Kids and adults acting like this were not raised, they were spawned, often by
vermin that never raised them or taught them anything.

Ronnie
fishin...@about.com
http://fishing.about.com

Dick at DLake

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
In article <20000114082749...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,> Kids and

adults acting like this were not raised, they were spawned, often by
> vermin that never raised them or taught them anything.
>
> Ronnie
> fishin...@about.com
> http://fishing.about.com

Problem Is not just jet skiers..it’s people with no regard for anyone
else..
I’ve had tournament fisherman cut right in in front of me, Or take off
at high speed from
right beside me..I’ve had water skiers throw water on me. Ive had old
men pulling there
grandkids on tubes damn near swamp me with there plow boats..One does
get used to it
after a while and learn to duck..

MiketheMad

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
You guys need to move to Texas,

no worry about Jet Skiers on any of the good fishin lakes, there's just
too much timber around. A jet skier would get killed trying to go
where we fish. Plus, one other factor, I have never is my life seen a
bunch of fisherman scarier than these guys in Texas. If a jet skier
actually did bother one of the guides/fisherman around here, they would
follow the guy until his gas ran out and then kick his axx.

I've actually seen some ramp fights between the fishin guys and the jet
skier/drunk pleasure boaters. It usually starts like this, some jet
skier/pleasure boater is trying to back his trailer down the ramp and
then proceeds to spend 45 minutes trying to launch a friggin jet
ski/cigarrete boat thus driving me and the rest of our fishin friends
insane, at which point someone usually says something like "hey, would
you like my wife to help you back your boat idiot??"

Food for thought,

See Ya,

Mike

Bob Redding

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
Dick, you are right. But the jetskier epitomizes the rudeness and 'I have
more money than sense' mentality of people who don't respect their
surroundings. Have no data to support my intuition, but I think most of
these types spend a lot of time in divorce and other legal proceedings.
They are not a happy group.

Might be another option for young attorneys. Instead of ambulance chasing,
they could take up jet ski chasing!

-- Go fishing. And may your fish be as big as your tales!
Columbia SC, Lake Murray

Dick at DLake <dic...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

The RodMaker

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
Hey Steve, I haven't seen anything out there yet. We'll get
together with Bob & we can all make a bundle & retire.
Yup sounds like a plan to me........hehehe

--

The RodMaker(aka The ShadowMan)

> Hey, that is a great idea Beats sucking your thumb when the bite is off!
>
> Now what could be real fun, is have those skies on the casting deck, slip
> your feet into them when a Beauty bends your rod in half and ride with
> him/her until you know where they run! Just hope it is deep water and not
> that knock down!
>

> -- Go fishing. And may your fish be as big as your tales!
> Columbia SC, Lake Murray

The RodMaker

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
I for one have NEVER become accustomed to ignorance,
or plain stupidity. And I have always had a very low
tolerance for someone who wantonly disregards simply
courtesy. I say screw 'em them deserve whatever we can throw at them.
Yeah!!!!!!!

--

The RodMaker(aka The ShadowMan)

Dan Ellison

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
> >It's been my experience that a St. Croix 6.5' musky rod, 36 pound braided
> >dacron and a 10-12" Bobbie Bait works great for Jet Skiers. The Bobbie
> Bait
> >has the proper aerodynamics for accurate casting and makes a satisfying
> >WHACK upon contact with the offending machine. With this rig (hooks
> removed
> >to prevent lawsuits

Come on. Removing the hooks defeats the argument in a couple of ways.
First, if your hooks are removed then the Je(rk)t skier has a basis to show
premeditation since nobody would obviously actually fish with a bait with no
hooks. The truly conservation minded fisherman would replace the nasty
treble hooks with singles and might even go so far as to de-barb the thing
just because he doesn't want to inflict any more damage on his
catch-and-release bounty than necessary. Second, how are you ever going to
land one without a hook? (hehehehe....) Another approach is to just fire
up the big motor and join in the fun. Bet I can get closer to them than
they can to me! Bet they will bail off before I do! One could even employ
the aid of a friend. With two boats you should be able to corral them and
run them aground! The best jetski is the one that has a big hole in the
hull and a "please recycle me" sign hanging on it.

Maybe there should be a season on them with a point system for limits? Ten
with men on them or only one nice young blonde sweetie :)

We shall endevour to percevere to spite them all!

Dan Ellison
Coalition to Destroy the Kinkaid Lake Jet Ski Resort of Southern Illinois

Tommy Jinks

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00

Dan Ellison wrote:

> Come on. Removing the hooks defeats the argument in a couple of ways.
> First, if your hooks are removed then the Je(rk)t skier has a basis to show
> premeditation since nobody would obviously actually fish with a bait with no
> hooks. The truly conservation minded fisherman would replace the nasty
> treble hooks with singles and might even go so far as to de-barb the thing
> just because he doesn't want to inflict any more damage on his
> catch-and-release bounty than necessary. Second, how are you ever going to
> land one without a hook? (hehehehe....) Another approach is to just fire
> up the big motor and join in the fun. Bet I can get closer to them than
> they can to me! Bet they will bail off before I do! One could even employ
> the aid of a friend. With two boats you should be able to corral them and

Whoa partner! Now you're on to something. Welcome to the first annual
Water Sports Rodeo, Jetski Team Roping competition. You head 'em; I'll
Heel 'em.

Ivorymale3

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
I like jet skiers...they taste pretty good with enough ketchup. And the sounds
they make while they are being filleted are most statisfying.

S & C Clark

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
Hokey Dinah!!........I can see a new newsgroup on the horizon!
Recreational outdoors fishing, jet skiers.....I like it!
--
Steve from Stony

Dan Ellison <dell...@intrnet.net> wrote in message

> > >It's been my experience that a St. Croix 6.5' musky rod, 36 pound
braided
> > >dacron and a 10-12" Bobbie Bait works great for Jet Skiers. The Bobbie
> > Bait
> > >has the proper aerodynamics for accurate casting and makes a satisfying
> > >WHACK upon contact with the offending machine. With this rig (hooks
> > removed
> > >to prevent lawsuits
>

> Come on. Removing the hooks defeats the argument in a couple of ways.
> First, if your hooks are removed then the Je(rk)t skier has a basis to
show
> premeditation since nobody would obviously actually fish with a bait with
no
> hooks. The truly conservation minded fisherman would replace the nasty
> treble hooks with singles and might even go so far as to de-barb the thing
> just because he doesn't want to inflict any more damage on his
> catch-and-release bounty than necessary. Second, how are you ever going
> land one without a hook? (hehehehe....) Another approach is to just fire
> up the big motor and join in the fun. Bet I can get closer to them than
> they can to me! Bet they will bail off before I do! One could even
employ
> the aid of a friend. With two boats you should be able to corral them and

MikeDi1123

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
> the jetskier epitomizes the rudeness

Some time ago I made meantion to the ignorant attitude of jetskiers in a
post on etiquette, they would park on the ramp with their coolers and gas
jugs,buzz back and forth to impress themselves, they are
to me irresponsible, inconsiderate, thoughtless spoiled whiny brats.

..... Mike
Mike's Bassin Techniques

Francis Daigneault

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Hey I had the same thing happen to me and my Bro, We were fishing on
this nice river at home [Brookfield Mass]and we had a small johnboat in
a cove &3 of them bastards came flying by.My Bro[Army special forces]
was hooked into a nice big Pike ,They came flying by cut te line and
pissed him off bad .My Bro took a 3oz wt tied to a rope ,waited for
next pass & lassood 1 of them .You should have seen the look on his face
when he said Hey I cought the biggest of the day .They never came back
and we cought some nice fish that day. FISHING BUDDYS 4LIFE

Dr. Hook

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Hey Man,
I've been swamped! I'm running 3 webpages and we are into the Boat Show
season here in Central IL and the fun just never seems to stop! We have
2 more big shows and then our open house.
I'll be very happy when winter is over and Crowley and I start fishing
again. Hope I haven't missed anything in here besides the Troll problem
you boys seem to be having.
Dr. H.

S & C Clark

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Hey Hook, glad to see you busy! Makes the hard water season go by faster
doesn't it. ( The way it should go) Well, you did miss a fabulous new
addition to the FAQ page......you might want to ask Crowley about it =8-) he
he!
--
Steve from Stony
Dr. Hook <DirtyDe...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Dr. Hook

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

Jim Montague

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Ya,I hope to catch one this year.Almost hooked one last year