Glue Solvent - 3 Second Hole Shot - Yeah, I Acquired Another One

Bob La Londe

Oct 6, 2023, 1:04:27 PM10/6/23
Short (only 45 seconds) video:
https://rumble.com/v3n985o-3-second-holeshot-no-way.html?mref=1sqt4y&mc=42lue

No real metal working content. I did some metal working on this one for
the previous owner, but don't have any planned for myself right now. Not
a lot of metalworking required on a fiberglass boat.

I did do some metal working in the past for the previous owner. That
pedestal stub you see sticking up in the middle, is in a base bolted
through the sole with wide aluminum reinforcing plates below to spread
the load. I also made a precision aluminum clamp to bolt it to the side
of the console. It was a rudimentary "old man bar" so the previous
owner could grab it to help get out of his seat. I also did some
trailer repairs (fenders, winch repair, winch tower repair, etc) in the
past for him. There are even a couple pieces of aluminum tread plate
fitted in high traffic locations to eliminate carpet wear.

I hate carpet. Its wonderful the first few years, but then it just...
well, I hate carpet in a boat. The carpet in this boat is old and
rotten. I've been thinking of replacing it with an EVA foam product
called SeaDek. The problem is that old marine carpet glue. The last
time I stripped carpet out of a boat I couldn't find any solvent for the
carpet glue that didn't also eat the gel coat. I wound up sanding and
grinding. Its a miserable job.

So, what do you think might be a good chemical glue remover?

The gelcoat is a polyester resin.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff