Death Notice

I. Marc Carlson

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97
to S...@mc.lcs.mit.edu, Anst...@ansteorra.org

I have been asked by Mistress Catrin Ferch Gwillam to inform you all
that Master Baron William Blackfox died this evening, apparently of a
stroke, while enroute to the Hospital. Further information will be
forthcoming as it is made available.

Marc Carlson
(aka Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn)

EddieEffie

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

Please express my condolences to the family and friends.

He was a great guy, and will sorely be missed.

Baron Edward of Effingham, O.Pel.

Gene jr Clyatt

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Sad news, this. A great man, he will be missed.

Lord Fian ap Maddyn
Artemisia

LVeale2301

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Baron, Edward, on behalf ot the Barony of Northkeep, we most gratefully
accet your condolences. We are very much going to miss him. This is going
to leave a huge void in our lives. He was probably one of the most widely
known people in the SCA and he's going to be missed by everyone. Signed,
Ly. Isabela del Bosque and Ld. Andrew Selwyn from the Barony of
Northkeep.

mtmoleda

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

The following has been crossposted to both rec.org.sca and alt.fan.furry.

The reason for this is because Mark Wallace, aka Lord William Blackfox,
was important to more than just one group of people. He had friends
across "Furry Fandom" as well as the Society for Creative Anachronisms.

Each group will find some of this post to be redundant, but I expect each
will also find some bits they might not have known before (the part the
other thought was well known).

The reference to him in the past tense will upset some of the "Furries,"
who at this writing have not read about his death yet. He died of heart
attack. This writer has heard some details, but as they are third hand, I
shall wait for more reliable information before relating much more on his
final living condition.

He will be most widely known for his artwork and storytelling, and so I
would like to remember him for this. I know I am lacking details, so if I
have gotten any of them wrong, anyone is welcome to correct me on either
or both newsgroups.

His comic strip, The Kingdom of Warthaven, was the most widely distributed
of all such stories within the newsletters of the Society, and had been
published for over 20 years since it's first appearance. It featured a
mixed funny-animal/human cast, mostly making in-jokes about common SCA
behavior and puns out of the terminology. His skill for these insights
was such that non-Society members were often able to get the humor, as
well.

His "formal" connection with Furries began in 1984, when he joined the
amateur press association "Rowrbrazzle," where he would reprint some of
his Warthaven strips and occasionally create unique works for the members
involving funny animals. His own membership started with Issue #3, and
continued until #54 (July, 1997). For the association he designed the
interior logo, which has been used for the last five years. At this time
I do not know if he had sent anything for publication in #55, or what
plans may be made to memorialize his presence and contributions.

He will also be remembered for the paperback graphic novel "Vixen's Keep,"
which featured a storyline that revolved around the struggles and efforts
of characters in an all-female fighting academy. Originally published as
segments in "Rowrbrazzle," it was published by MU Press a couple of years
ago. It was well received by both Furries (who found it at comic shops
and conventions) and Society (usually at events). Some people training
women to be fighters in the Society even adopted the novel as required
reading, as it carried a strong element of self-sufficiency and earned
self-esteem, presented as a vital part of both individual character and
honor as a whole, regardless of gender. Furries who have read this story
will remember it for being well written and drawn, regardless of possible
application.

There is more, but that is all I have been able to recall clearly enough
to write since I was told this afternoon about his death.

Lord William Blackfox, aka Mark Wallace, will be remembered by his friends
for many years to come. My condolences to all who knew him personally.

Regards,

Mark "Th' Mole" D. Ashworth
Internet Presence for Rowrbrazzle

PS: Below are comments from rec.org.sca, repeated for the benifit of
alt.fan.furry readers who might need some verification that this post is
not a troll or other attmept to spread false news.

------- Quoted Material Begins -------

13 Sep 1997, LadyAnnais on rec.org.sca said:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have some very sad news to tell.

This evening Master William Blackfox (Mark Wallace), of Warthaven fame,
has passed on. He died of natural causes.

I will post more information as it becomes available.

(I would say something profound and sentimental, but I am in a bit of shock.)

Lady Annais de Montgomerie
Namron
Ansteorra

--

13 Sep 1997, I. Marc Carlson on rec.org sca said

------- Quoted Material Ends -------

mtmoleda

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

(I apologize if this has appeared twice. I think my program ate the first
try.)

Sandra Jaqua

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

My Lord husband and I had the pleasure of meeting the man
at one Estrella, years ago. We had actually gotten out of our
merchant's booth for a rare break together to shop, when we
stumbled acrost Master Blackfox' booth. Alas, he had a waiting
list of patrons that would take him longer than the rest of
the war to complete. Instead, we bought a few comic books and
t-shirts, and lingered for the conversation. We never did see
the rest of the merchants. Despite having never met us before,
Master Blackfox treated us like old friends. I will miss him
sorely. A small spark within my soul has been dimmed, yet I
was blessed for having met him, even if it was only for a very
short while. May his soul rest well.
Allesaundra de Crosthwaite

RoseannavM

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

We will miss him greatly, not only for his teachings and talents, but also
for his wry sense of humor. He had a knack for making us look at our own
follies, and smile. My condolences to his family. He was a wonderful
person....

Mistress RoseAnna vom Meierei

Galloglas

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Gene jr Clyatt wrote:

> Sad news, this. A great man, he will be missed.
>
> Lord Fian ap Maddyn
> Artemisia

I quite agree! Were there something adaquate to say, but there is only
the usual condolences to freinds and family. May that help in some small
way, those who will need it.

culann mac cruimeinn
Middle Kingdom

Susan Rankin

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

*sigh* This is truly sad indeed... as one who is but 1 year old in the SCA and a
few months old in the furry fandom as a fan and an artist, this truly saddens me. Mark
Wallace, AKA William Blackfox, will be sorely missed by us all. This has certainly
been a tragic 3 weeks. On behalf of my group and my furry friends, I offer
condolences to his family and friends.

Luta or, as I'm known to the furries, SusanDeer/TaeKwonDoe

Jay & Laurie Brandt

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

An idea for a living tribute. An artist lives through his work. How a about
a complete collection of his work?

Jack Furlong - HillBluffer

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.970914012742.10563A-100000@goodguy>, mtmoleda <mtmo...@goodnet.com> wrote:

>The reason for this is because Mark Wallace, aka Lord William Blackfox,
>was important to more than just one group of people. He had friends
>across "Furry Fandom" as well as the Society for Creative Anachronisms.

*sigh*
That's sad. :(

>He will also be remembered for the paperback graphic novel "Vixen's Keep,"

And no chance for any MORE stories... *sigh*
Also sad. :(

William Earl Haskell

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Jay & Laurie Brandt wrote:

> An idea for a living tribute. An artist lives through his work. How a about
> a complete collection of his work?

Speaking as one whose only knowledge of his work comes from VIXEN'S KEEP
and stray bits in fanzines, I say this is an idea with merit.

I recall from some time ago a similiar project being proposed for the
works of Deal Wheately(sp?), which (I suppose) came eventually to
nothing. Hopefully this won't end the same way.

Deal and Mark - in each case I'd heard from mutual acquaintances what
great guys they were - and was impressed by what little of their work
that happened to cross my path - never met either one, though, which is
my loss.

JJMacC

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Master Blackfoxx will be sorely missed for his many contributions. As has
been said, he did have a wonderful perspective on everyone's attitudes,
follies and behavior in the Society. May he fare well on the long road ahead.

HLS John James MacCrimmon
An Tir

Alisane

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

Though I never personally got to know William Blackfox, I had been
inspired by his work since I first joined the SCA thirteen years ago. I
went on to create my own works in an SF format, and finally written an SF
spy thriller based on "Animoids" (copyright 94) "animal humanoids". He
will be sorely missed by countless people who know him, and those who wish
they had taken the time to meet him. I can think of no higher praise than
imitation, and grieve for those artists that no longer will have his fresh
inspiration, but glory in the fact that countless more will see his work
and follow in his footsteps.

May you rest well, and know that you are missed
May your journey to the Otherworld be calm
Know that by your works you're blessed
And to many you were the best without qualm

Your light now shines on another world
Hopefully one in which you belong
Your banner, a light unfurled
Here we sing a sad song