constructing an Astrolabe?

Nikolai Petrovich

Dec 1, 2018, 10:16:17 AM12/1/18
Greetings and Salutations

I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.

Does anyone have a reference for how one goes about calculating /
constructing one of a particular latitude?

in service

Nikolai Petrovich

--
Nikolai Petrovich Flandropoff
Whimiscal Order of the Ailing Wit

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 1, 2018, 11:05:00 AM12/1/18
In article <h5950elp5oumcuivv...@4ax.com>,
Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Greetings and Salutations
>
> I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
>40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.
>
> Does anyone have a reference for how one goes about calculating /
>constructing one of a particular latitude?

I just googled "astrolabe calibration" and got many sites. I
glanced at a few and realized I don't have the math for this.
But then, I don't have the math for high-school algebra any more.
This is a very low bar.

I suggest you also google "astrolabe calibration" and search
through the sites, and _Deo volente,_ you'll find what you need.
Good luck.

--
Dorothea of Caer-Myrddin Dorothy J. Heydt
Vinhold/Mists/West Vallejo, California

Nikolai Petrovich

Dec 1, 2018, 2:14:16 PM12/1/18
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Sat, 1 Dec 2018 15:53:20 GMT
typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>In article <h5950elp5oumcuivv...@4ax.com>,
>Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>Greetings and Salutations
>>
>> I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
>>40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.
>>
>> Does anyone have a reference for how one goes about calculating /
>>constructing one of a particular latitude?
>
>I just googled "astrolabe calibration" and got many sites. I
>glanced at a few and realized I don't have the math for this.
>But then, I don't have the math for high-school algebra any more.
>This is a very low bar.
>
>I suggest you also google "astrolabe calibration" and search
>through the sites, and _Deo volente,_ you'll find what you need.
>Good luck.

That is the next step.

Or find my copy of Geoffrey Chaucer's Treatise on the Astrolabe.

tschus
nikolai

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 1, 2018, 3:40:00 PM12/1/18
In article <1an50e93qfbtd2aog...@4ax.com>,
Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Sat, 1 Dec 2018 15:53:20 GMT
>typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>>In article <h5950elp5oumcuivv...@4ax.com>,
>>Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>>Greetings and Salutations
>>>
>>> I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
>>>40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a reference for how one goes about calculating /
>>>constructing one of a particular latitude?
>>
>>I just googled "astrolabe calibration" and got many sites. I
>>glanced at a few and realized I don't have the math for this.
>>But then, I don't have the math for high-school algebra any more.
>>This is a very low bar.
>>
>>I suggest you also google "astrolabe calibration" and search
>>through the sites, and _Deo volente,_ you'll find what you need.
>>Good luck.
>
> That is the next step.
>
> Or find my copy of Geoffrey Chaucer's Treatise on the Astrolabe.

Well, my copy of that is with my Collected Works of, and it's in
Middle English. :) And it'll be either (a) calculated for a
London or thereabouts latitude, or (b) doesn't mention the
latitude of the observer at all. But the Internet can be your
friend.

Nikolai Petrovich

Dec 1, 2018, 8:18:32 PM12/1/18
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Sat, 1 Dec 2018 20:27:14 GMT
And sometimes, it can be that friend who has all sorts of answers,
some of which are relevant to your question.

But' I've found a translation into modern English, and an article
about using Power Point to make the templates. Which has the
formulas. Weeeee!

tschus
Nicolai

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 1, 2018, 9:40:00 PM12/1/18
In article <kkc60ed0rls22caer...@4ax.com>,
Bravo!

Basil D

Dec 2, 2018, 6:04:02 PM12/2/18
On 12/1/2018 11:14 AM, Nikolai Petrovich wrote:
> djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Sat, 1 Dec 2018 15:53:20 GMT
> typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>> In article <h5950elp5oumcuivv...@4ax.com>,
>> Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>> Greetings and Salutations
>>>
>>> I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
>>> 40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a reference for how one goes about calculating /
>>> constructing one of a particular latitude?
>>
>> I just googled "astrolabe calibration" and got many sites. I
>> glanced at a few and realized I don't have the math for this.
>> But then, I don't have the math for high-school algebra any more.
>> This is a very low bar.
>>
>> I suggest you also google "astrolabe calibration" and search
>> through the sites, and _Deo volente,_ you'll find what you need.
>> Good luck.
>
> That is the next step.
>
> Or find my copy of Geoffrey Chaucer's Treatise on the Astrolabe.
>
> tschus
> nikolai

Or go the the source, Theon of Alexandria---oh wait, his work hasn't survived. You'll have
to make do with John Philoponus. ;-)

~~Basil

Basil D

Dec 2, 2018, 6:15:31 PM12/2/18
On 12/1/2018 7:16 AM, Nikolai Petrovich wrote:
> Greetings and Salutations
>
> I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
> 40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.

I can sympathize. I have a nice planisphere; turn the upper circle so the time matches the
date on the lower circle, and look at the clear part to see what should be in the sky.

It's set for 30 degrees north, which is about 17.5 degrees from me.

30 degrees north, and it was made in the USA--sheesh, how un-useful can you get? :-/

Nikolai Petrovich

Dec 5, 2018, 10:21:03 AM12/5/18
Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> on Sat, 01 Dec 2018 07:16:54
-0800 typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>Greetings and Salutations
>
> I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
>40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.
>
> Does anyone have a reference for how one goes about calculating /
>constructing one of a particular latitude?
>
>in service
>
>Nikolai Petrovich

I am having "fun" crunching all this. I shall be writing up my
notes when I'm done, but I'm not sure how to show the required
drawings in ASCII art. B-{)>

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 5, 2018, 11:05:35 AM12/5/18
In article <o5rf0e5l3amunhg30...@4ax.com>,
Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> on Sat, 01 Dec 2018 07:16:54
>-0800 typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>>Greetings and Salutations
>>
>> I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
>>40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.
>>
>> Does anyone have a reference for how one goes about calculating /
>>constructing one of a particular latitude?
>>
>>in service
>>
>>Nikolai Petrovich
>
> I am having "fun" crunching all this. I shall be writing up my
>notes when I'm done, but I'm not sure how to show the required
>drawings in ASCII art. B-{)>

If you have an account on any site that does have graphics, you
could post a link.

Nikolai Petrovich

Dec 5, 2018, 11:02:27 PM12/5/18
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Wed, 5 Dec 2018 15:53:00 GMT
typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>In article <o5rf0e5l3amunhg30...@4ax.com>,
>Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> on Sat, 01 Dec 2018 07:16:54
>>-0800 typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>>>Greetings and Salutations
>>>
>>> I have a very nice cardboard astrolabe, but it is calculated for
>>>40 degree's north. which is about 550 miles south of where I am.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a reference for how one goes about calculating /
>>>constructing one of a particular latitude?
>>>
>>>in service
>>>
>>>Nikolai Petrovich
>>
>> I am having "fun" crunching all this. I shall be writing up my
>>notes when I'm done, but I'm not sure how to show the required
>>drawings in ASCII art. B-{)>
>
>If you have an account on any site that does have graphics, you
>could post a link.

I'll have to work on the graphics.

I'm able to construct the almanucantor circles with compass &
rule, I 'm just having troubles getting the spreadsheet to come up
with numbers which make sense.