Crown Tourney in a Time of Covid-10

msa...@gmail.com

May 23, 2020, 8:37:58 PM5/23/20
Instead of rattan heavy weapons, I am suggesting that we determine who becomes king though a single or double elimination poetry slam conducted at a distance of at least 3 meters. (When you project, the droplets go further too)

--
--Sfi Mordehai ben Yosef Yitzhak, Aka Matthew G. Saroff

This is not the Dream. This is what I do on weekends to have
some fun.

The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool
Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries,
satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.
Check http://www.pobox.com/~msaroff, including The Bad Hair Web Page
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
Navicula hydraulica plena anguilarum est.

Lyle H. Gray

May 23, 2020, 10:57:59 PM5/23/20
msa...@gmail.com wrote in

> Instead of rattan heavy weapons, I am suggesting that we determine who
> becomes king though a single or double elimination poetry slam
> conducted at a distance of at least 3 meters. (When you project, the
> droplets go further too)

They could also compete in a dance-off...

Chris Zakes

May 25, 2020, 11:52:51 AM5/25/20
On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 7:37:58 PM UTC-5, msa...@gmail.com wrote:
> Instead of rattan heavy weapons, I am suggesting that we determine who becomes king though a single or double elimination poetry slam conducted at a distance of at least 3 meters. (When you project, the droplets go further too)

Ignoring, for the moment, the rewrite of Corpora that would be needed, how can this (or the dance competition also suggested) give a clear result without judges? How do you know the judges are unbiased?

-Tivar Moondragon
Ansteorra

Dorothy J Heydt

May 25, 2020, 1:50:01 PM5/25/20
In article <32d0292b-b0a5-435b...@googlegroups.com>,
Not that it's going to happen. But the winner could be
recognized by a consensus of the competitors.

(The winner of the annual Bard of the Mists competition is
recognized by a consensus of the past Bards, plus the Prince and
Princess. I can remember one occasion when the Prince really,
really liked some incredible piece of schlock, and the Bards
emeriti patiently talked to him and talked to him until he gave
in.

(In the West, we call this [image of an elderly Peer leaning
heavily on the King's shoulder] "PEER pressure.")

--
Dorothea of Caer-Myrddin Dorothy J. Heydt
Vinhold/Mists/West Vallejo, California

Basil D

May 26, 2020, 8:53:20 PM5/26/20
Covid-10? Did I miss something, or are you predicting?
;-)
Yeah, yeah, I know, just a typo. ;-)
Though it *is* pretty silly to put 9 next to 0.

On 5/23/2020 5:37 PM, msa...@gmail.com wrote:
> Instead of rattan heavy weapons, I am suggesting that we determine who becomes king though a single or double elimination poetry slam conducted at a distance of at least 3 meters. (When you project, the droplets go further too)

But how can they slam if they can't get within 2 or 3 meters?
};-)

~~Basil Dragonstrike

Dorothy J Heydt

May 26, 2020, 9:40:01 PM5/26/20
Very Long Polearms?

No, wait, you're asking about slamming with poetry.

There are some very long poetic forms. I don't know if everybody
would sit still for something the length of the _Iliad_ or
_Beowulf,_ but there's the sestina, which consists of six verses
of six lines each plus a refrain of three ... and only six
end-words that are repeated according to a set pattern. Or
there's the ballade, with three verses of eight lines and a
refrain of four. Or you could just compose a ballad (without the
e) that can go on as long as breath (or fingers) last.

Basil D

May 29, 2020, 5:35:57 PM5/29/20
On 5/26/2020 6:26 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <rakdlt$vl6$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Basil D <Bu...@example.com> wrote:
>> Covid-10? Did I miss something, or are you predicting?
>> ;-)
>> Yeah, yeah, I know, just a typo. ;-)
>> Though it *is* pretty silly to put 9 next to 0.
>>

>> On 5/23/2020 5:37 PM, msa...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Instead of rattan heavy weapons, I am suggesting that we determine who
>> becomes king though a single or double elimination poetry slam conducted
>> at a distance of at least 3 meters. (When you project, the droplets go
>> further too)
>>
>> But how can they slam if they can't get within 2 or 3 meters?
>> };-)
>
> Very Long Polearms?
>
> No, wait, you're asking about slamming with poetry.
>
> There are some very long poetic forms. I don't know if everybody
> would sit still for something the length of the _Iliad_ or
> _Beowulf,_ but there's the sestina, which consists of six verses
> of six lines each plus a refrain of three ... and only six
> end-words that are repeated according to a set pattern. Or
> there's the ballade, with three verses of eight lines and a
> refrain of four. Or you could just compose a ballad (without the
> e) that can go on as long as breath (or fingers) last.

Well, OK, with stuff like the Iliad or Beowulf you could slam, but with poems of only
a dozen pages or so, you can only slap. Anyway, you have to get closer than even ONE
meter to slam or slap them against each other.

~~Basil Dragonstrike
who is only obtuse when it's funny.
I hope.

Zebee Johnstone

May 29, 2020, 6:22:01 PM5/29/20
In rec.org.sca on Fri, 29 May 2020 14:35:54 -0700
Basil D <Bu...@example.com> wrote:

> Well, OK, with stuff like the Iliad or Beowulf you could slam, but with poems of only
> a dozen pages or so, you can only slap. Anyway, you have to get closer than even ONE
> meter to slam or slap them against each other.

No, that's the archery round.

Silfren

Basil D

May 31, 2020, 8:57:58 PM5/31/20
I don't think you can make arrows out of poems. Unless you soak the pages in some
kind of resin; would that work?

~~Basil