Anpother reason to refuse to use Facebook

Basil D

Feb 11, 2019, 4:43:03 PM2/11/19
https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-broad-data-collection-ruled-illegal-by-german-anti-trust-office/

Short version: an agency of the German government has determine that Facebook combines too
much private data into one database, causing unfair competition practices.

Short, short version: Facebook is a bunch of snoops.

Come to Mastodon; it's so much more pro-privacy! https://medievalist.masto.host/ for
SCA/historical stuff. :-)

Dorothy J Heydt

Feb 11, 2019, 7:50:00 PM2/11/19
In article <q3sq93$iu5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Basil D <Bu...@example.com> wrote:
>https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-broad-data-collection-ruled-illegal-by-german-anti-trust-office/
>
>Short version: an agency of the German government has determine that
>Facebook combines too
>much private data into one database, causing unfair competition practices.
>
>Short, short version: Facebook is a bunch of snoops.

I knew that. :)

--
Dorothea of Caer-Myrddin Dorothy J. Heydt
Vinhold/Mists/West Vallejo, California

Nikolai Petrovich

Feb 11, 2019, 9:29:37 PM2/11/19
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 00:36:11 GMT
typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>In article <q3sq93$iu5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Basil D <Bu...@example.com> wrote:
>>https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-broad-data-collection-ruled-illegal-by-german-anti-trust-office/
>>
>>Short version: an agency of the German government has determine that
>>Facebook combines too
>>much private data into one database, causing unfair competition practices.
>>
>>Short, short version: Facebook is a bunch of snoops.
>
>I knew that. :)

Me too.

But how do I contact people who believe that Face book is the
inter webs?
--
Nikolai Petrovich Flandropoff
Seneschal of Canton Bearwood

Dorothy J Heydt

Feb 12, 2019, 2:20:01 AM2/12/19
In article <04b46eh7g7b599bar...@4ax.com>,
Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 00:36:11 GMT
>typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>>In article <q3sq93$iu5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Basil D <Bu...@example.com> wrote:
>>>https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-broad-data-collection-ruled-illegal-by-german-anti-trust-office/
>>>
>>>Short version: an agency of the German government has determine that
>>>Facebook combines too
>>>much private data into one database, causing unfair competition practices.
>>>
>>>Short, short version: Facebook is a bunch of snoops.
>>
>>I knew that. :)
>
> Me too.
>
> But how do I contact people who believe that Face book is the
>inter webs?

Find out their snailmail address and write them a letter by USPS?

Nikolai Petrovich

Feb 12, 2019, 12:03:59 PM2/12/19
djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:06:41 GMT
typed in rec.org.sca the following:
>In article <04b46eh7g7b599bar...@4ax.com>,
>Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 00:36:11 GMT
>>typed in rec.org.sca the following:

>>>I knew that. :)
>>
>> Me too.
>>
>> But how do I contact people who believe that Face book is the
>>inter webs?
>
>Find out their snailmail address and write them a letter by USPS?

LOL, yeah, there is that. When there is time, I do. Sigh, my
sister owes me two letters already.

We are spoiled. Due to weather, we needed to change the monthly
biziness meeting up a couple days.Using Face book, and email (and even
the Electric Telephone), {I even posted here}, we were able to sort
that through, and the canton meeting was held. Rah.

ne...@panix.com

Feb 13, 2019, 5:44:11 AM2/13/19
In article <04b46eh7g7b599bar...@4ax.com>,
Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Me too.
> But how do I contact people who believe that Face book is the
>inter webs?

Save yourself! They are already lost ...

Alexandre d'Avigne
(AspiringLuddite on https://medievalist.masto.host, hint, hint)
------------
Jeff Berry - http://www.aspiringluddite.com - food, musings, etc.
"I don't need TV when I got T-Rex" - Mott the Hoople

Nikolai Petrovich

Feb 13, 2019, 12:15:12 PM2/13/19
ne...@panix.com on 13 Feb 2019 05:44:10 -0500 typed in rec.org.sca the
following:
>In article <04b46eh7g7b599bar...@4ax.com>,
>Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Me too.
>> But how do I contact people who believe that Face book is the
>>inter webs?
>
>Save yourself! They are already lost ...

I just checked, the last 100 message posted here go back to
October 2015.

So, how do I contact people who think that Facebook, Twitter,
Instagram or the regional Website is the sum total of the interwebs?

"Not like when I was a boy, and I had to drive 20 miles to the
other campus to log in."

Basil D

Feb 13, 2019, 8:52:37 PM2/13/19
On 2/13/2019 2:44 AM, ne...@panix.com wrote:
> In article <04b46eh7g7b599bar...@4ax.com>,
> Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Me too.
>> But how do I contact people who believe that Face book is the
>> inter webs?
>
> Save yourself! They are already lost ...
>
> Alexandre d'Avigne
> (AspiringLuddite on https://medievalist.masto.host, hint, hint)

I mentioned medievalist.masto.host, and it got cut. :-(

~~Basil Dragonstrike

Basil D

Feb 13, 2019, 8:54:27 PM2/13/19
On 2/13/2019 9:16 AM, Nikolai Petrovich wrote:
> ne...@panix.com on 13 Feb 2019 05:44:10 -0500 typed in rec.org.sca the
> following:
>> In article <04b46eh7g7b599bar...@4ax.com>,
>> Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>> Me too.
>>> But how do I contact people who believe that Face book is the
>>> inter webs?
>>
>> Save yourself! They are already lost ...
>
> I just checked, the last 100 message posted here go back to
> October 2015.
>
> So, how do I contact people who think that Facebook, Twitter,
> Instagram or the regional Website is the sum total of the interwebs?

Convert them to Mastodon? - - - - Well, you could try. ;-)

> "Not like when I was a boy, and I had to drive 20 miles to the
> other campus to log in."

Uphill, both ways, in the snow.....

~~Basil Dragonstrike

Nikolai Petrovich

Feb 14, 2019, 1:28:07 PM2/14/19
Basil D <Bu...@example.com> on Wed, 13 Feb 2019 17:54:25 -0800 typed
in rec.org.sca the following:
>On 2/13/2019 9:16 AM, Nikolai Petrovich wrote:
>> ne...@panix.com on 13 Feb 2019 05:44:10 -0500 typed in rec.org.sca the
>> following:
>>>
>>> Save yourself! They are already lost ...
>>
>> I just checked, the last 100 message posted here go back to
>> October 2015.
>>
>> So, how do I contact people who think that Facebook, Twitter,
>> Instagram or the regional Website is the sum total of the interwebs?
>

>Convert them to Mastodon? - - - - Well, you could try. ;-)

Which merely adds one more layer of complexity. I got drafted to
be the Canton's Seneschal. To change the business meeting(due to an
anticipated attack of the Frost Giant) I log into the Nikolai Account,
and check Canton email, the canton facebook page, and the SCA.org
site. Log out of that and into this to post to the Interwebs. Then
call a couple people to handle the phone tree.

Adding Mastodon to this merely means, Yet Another Bunch who
believe that social media is the Internet. Should I include Twitter,
Pinterst, Punch, and some cool site you've never heard of?

Not going to convince the atechnic to change.

Fnord, I've no intention of changing the OS any more than I have
to.

Rant off.

>> "Not like when I was a boy, and I had to drive 20 miles to the
>> other campus to log in."
>
>Uphill, both ways, in the snow.....

Funny you should mention ....

I decided to walk the two miles to work. First time it had
snowed, and there are the remains of a glacial moraine between here
and there. So yes, in the snow, up hill, both ways in the dark. "And
paid the mill owner tupence for the privilege."

Daphne Eftychia Arthur

Feb 15, 2019, 5:00:19 AM2/15/19
In article <91cb6epccdjihdpqu...@4ax.com>,
Nikolai Petrovich <ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Basil D <Bu...@example.com> on Wed, 13 Feb 2019 17:54:25 -0800 typed
>in rec.org.sca the following:
>>Convert them to Mastodon? - - - - Well, you could try. ;-)
>
> Which merely adds one more layer of complexity. I got drafted to
>be the Canton's Seneschal. To change the business meeting(due to an
>anticipated attack of the Frost Giant) I log into the Nikolai Account,
>and check Canton email, the canton facebook page, and the SCA.org
>site. Log out of that and into this to post to the Interwebs. Then
>call a couple people to handle the phone tree.
>
> Adding Mastodon to this merely means, Yet Another Bunch who
>believe that social media is the Internet. Should I include Twitter,
>Pinterst, Punch, and some cool site you've never heard of?

It feels like we're vaguelyt off-topic ... but still:

It's reasonable for different people to have different preferences.
It's not reasonable fr people to think their favourite site/medium
is What The Internet Is. But folks do that. *sigh*

I think it's well into the time for there to be a coordinator/aggregator
layer that sits atop of email / usenet / social media / chat / dm / etc.
and presents these in a user's preferred abstraction (to the extent that
each can be bent or folde to fit said preference), with an addressbook
that tracks each correspondent's preferred medium. So if I want to send
a message to Miles Singer, my addressbook would contain the information
that Miles prefers Twitter DMs, and convey my message to him that way
without my having to remember that or go to Twitter directly. And when
I wanted to send a message to Tristan Hunter, it would get delivered via
Facebook, per his entry in my addressbook. But since I personally
prefer email, from my end it woul look very much like sending email.

(Okay, neither Twitter nor Facebook exist in Dr. Singer's & Tristan
Hunter's world. Conceivably pneumatic tubes might, but they weren't
mentioned in the story. Bear with me; I needed a couple of names.)

Discussion-type mailing lists would probably not map very well onto
this, but something very similar (or perhaps a module of this) could
work for announcements: after some care with initial setup, someone
responsible for newsletters and announcing reschedulings and such would
enter their missive once, and it would be fed to the organization's
various social media accounts, its mailing list, the appropriate spot on
its web site, etc.

Two _relatively_ minor hurdles and one larger one: (a) coming up with a
robust design adaptable to many users' preferences (not just folks like
me who'd be happy with feels-lik-email) without requiring a dauntingly
high learning curve to set up in the first place, (b) creating a smooth
implementation skating past all the pitfalls in the various APIs, and
(c) -- the one that makes the first two, which would normally count as
pretty big deals, look like the smalls ones -- Facebook would hate this
and keep tweaking its API to break it, so _maintenance_ would basically
be an _arms_race_. :-(

It would make the world better, but Facebook wouldn't want it to.
(Because Facebook serves not its users, but its advertisers, of course,
and this would not reliably show Facebook's ads.)

--
Daphne Eftychia Arthur dap...@panix.com
Grandis vetus factio delenda est.

Basil D

Feb 17, 2019, 4:34:44 PM2/17/19
On 2/15/2019 2:00 AM, Daphne Eftychia Arthur wrote:
{snip}
>Facebook would hate this
> and keep tweaking its API to break it, so _maintenance_ would basically
> be an _arms_race_. :-(
>
> It would make the world better, but Facebook wouldn't want it to.
> (Because Facebook serves not its users, but its advertisers, of course,
> and this would not reliably show Facebook's ads.)

Which is one of the two main reasons I will not use FB, and will continue to urge people
to stop using it.

Folks, please, don't use FB. And balls to those who won't leave it.

~~Basil

Nikolai Petrovich

Feb 17, 2019, 10:39:37 PM2/17/19
Basil D <Bu...@example.com> on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:34:43 -0800 typed
in rec.org.sca the following:
Good.

Now, if we could just get Kingdom and Barony to stop using it.

>~~Basil

Basil D

Feb 19, 2019, 8:49:03 PM2/19/19
On 2/17/2019 7:41 PM, Nikolai Petrovich wrote:
> Basil D <Bu...@example.com> on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:34:43 -0800 typed
> in rec.org.sca the following:
>> On 2/15/2019 2:00 AM, Daphne Eftychia Arthur wrote:
>> {snip}
>>> Facebook would hate this
>>> and keep tweaking its API to break it, so _maintenance_ would basically
>>> be an _arms_race_. :-(
>>>
>>> It would make the world better, but Facebook wouldn't want it to.
>>> (Because Facebook serves not its users, but its advertisers, of course,
>>> and this would not reliably show Facebook's ads.)
>>
>> Which is one of the two main reasons I will not use FB, and will continue to urge people
>> to stop using it.
>>
>> Folks, please, don't use FB. And balls to those who won't leave it.
>
> Good.
>
> Now, if we could just get Kingdom and Barony to stop using it.

Well, you're the Seneschal of Bearwood, so at least you can get the canton to stop using
it. };-)

~~Basil

Baron Bjorn Bjorklund

Feb 20, 2019, 10:17:54 AM2/20/19
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 5:00:19 AM UTC-5, Daphne Eftychia Arthur wrote:
[...]
> I think it's well into the time for there to be a coordinator/aggregator
> layer that sits atop of email / Usenet / social media / chat / dm / etc.
> and presents these in a user's preferred abstraction (to the extent that
> each can be bent or folded to fit said preference), with an address book
> that tracks each correspondent's preferred medium. So if I want to send
> a message to Miles Singer, my address book would contain the information
> that Miles prefers Twitter DMs, and convey my message to him that way
> without my having to remember that or go to Twitter directly. And when
> I wanted to send a message to Tristan Hunter, it would get delivered via
> Facebook, per his entry in my address book. But since I personally
> prefer email, from my end it would look very much like sending email.

At first glance, I liked your idea a lot! And do believe it would be possible to create such a tool.

On second consideration, I realized that, sadly, such a tool would appear much like a SPAM bot, and be caught in various filters instead of successfully transmitting the information. If it avoided that, then those who do send SPAM would adopt it in an effort to avoid such filters as well.

Nikolai Petrovich

Feb 20, 2019, 9:49:38 PM2/20/19
Basil D <Bu...@example.com> on Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:49:02 -0800 typed
in rec.org.sca the following:
>On 2/17/2019 7:41 PM, Nikolai Petrovich wrote:
>> Basil D <Bu...@example.com> on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:34:43 -0800 typed
>> in rec.org.sca the following:
>>> On 2/15/2019 2:00 AM, Daphne Eftychia Arthur wrote:
>>> {snip}

>>> Which is one of the two main reasons I will not use FB, and will continue to urge people
>>> to stop using it.
>>>
>>> Folks, please, don't use FB. And balls to those who won't leave it.
>>
>> Good.
>>
>> Now, if we could just get Kingdom and Barony to stop using it.
>
>Well, you're the Seneschal of Bearwood, so at least you can get the canton to stop using
>it. };-)

Uh huh.

"I am their leader, which way did they go?"

Basil D

Feb 23, 2019, 4:50:06 PM2/23/19
On 2/20/2019 6:51 PM, Nikolai Petrovich wrote:
> Basil D <Bu...@example.com> on Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:49:02 -0800 typed
> in rec.org.sca the following:
>> On 2/17/2019 7:41 PM, Nikolai Petrovich wrote:
>>> Basil D <Bu...@example.com> on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:34:43 -0800 typed
>>> in rec.org.sca the following:

>>> Good.
>>>
>>> Now, if we could just get Kingdom and Barony to stop using it.
>>
>> Well, you're the Seneschal of Bearwood, so at least you can get the canton to stop using
>> it. };-)
>
> Uh huh.
>
> "I am their leader, which way did they go?"

Well, there is that. ;-)

~~Basil