Skin-So-Soft Formula Change???

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 11, 1994, 12:12:03 PM8/11/94
In article <940811103...@fitz.intercon.com>,
Sharon Henderson <fi...@intercon.com> wrote:

{Avon has changed the formula for SSF, what are we going to do??}

The bug-repellent ingrediant in SSF was citronella. That is what
you'll find in almost all bug repellents that don't instead
contain DEET. There was nothing magic about SSF; they merely
didn't come out and say that the stuff contained citronella. Go
ask at your local drugstore for something with citronella in it
and don't worry.

Dorothea of Caer-Myrddin Dorothy J. Heydt
Mists/Mists/West UC Berkeley
Argent, a cross forme'e sable djh...@uclink.berkeley.edu
PRO DEO ET REGE

Sharon Henderson

Aug 11, 1994, 11:33:02 AM8/11/94
Hi folks,

Wanted to share something I got off rec.equestrian this AM--since
horse folk use Skin-So-Soft to keep bugs off their animal friends, just as we
use it to keep bugs off us .... :)

Can anyone confirm or deny this by scientific means? Have any of our
Known Worlde scientists actually smeared the new stuff on themselves and
tested to see whether SSS will still work its magic?

Aug 11, 1994, 12:58:27 PM8/11/94
In article <940811103...@fitz.intercon.com>,
Sharon Henderson <fi...@intercon.com> wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
> Wanted to share something I got off rec.equestrian this AM--since
>horse folk use Skin-So-Soft to keep bugs off their animal friends, just as we
>use it to keep bugs off us .... :)
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny this by scientific means? Have any of our
>Known Worlde scientists actually smeared the new stuff on themselves and
>tested to see whether SSS will still work its magic?

At my local apothecary (CVS/Peoples) there is a specific elixer called
Skin-So-Soft Bug Repellant. I bought a bottle and checked the ingredients.
The "magic" in it is the fragrant cintronella.

Keep the Faith,
Louise

Dennis Burns

Aug 11, 1994, 8:04:24 AM8/11/94
Sharon Henderson writes:

>Hi folks,

I recently found that SSS had no effect on the bugs. It looks like its back to
Deep Woods. At least I know why.

Dave Montuori

Aug 12, 1994, 10:35:02 AM8/12/94
Meleri, eka fi...@intercon.com (Sharon Henderson):

Dorothea, eka djh...@uclink.berkeley.edu (Dorothy J Heydt):

Louise, eka god...@access3.digex.net (Louise K. Rogow):

>At my local apothecary (CVS/Peoples) there is a specific elixer called
>Skin-So-Soft Bug Repellant. I bought a bottle and checked the ingredients.
>The "magic" in it is the fragrant cintronella.

My 8 farthings....

My mom, who is an Avon rep, tells me that Skin-So-Soft now comes in a
Bug Repellent formula IN ADDITION TO the original stuff. The catalog
bears her out. Avon does not now claim, nor has it ever claimed, that
the original SSS had any bug repellent properties; those were strictly
folklore. (Of course, the folklore was strong enough to persuade Consumer
Reports to include SSS in their bug repellent tests.)

The original SSS formula has not changed, and the rumors heard by
Meleri's source are not true. They DID change the formula for the
new addition to the SSS family (the Bug Repellent) but I don't know
what the differences are.

Evan, who knows that everyone's mileage varies. Often widely.
dmontuor%telene...@uunet.uu.net

SandraDodd

Aug 12, 1994, 12:01:02 AM8/12/94
A friend had some insect repellant last week (I wish I had remembered the
brand) and it smelled just like Skin-so-Soft. (It was by Off or some
regular insect-gunk people, I think.)

What this has to do with the SCA is Pennsic and bug-death potential.
DON'T FORGET to wash your hands a lot at Pennsic, BTW. The Pennsic Plague
could strike again, and bugs don't help either.

Robert Glenn Etter Jr

Aug 13, 1994, 3:02:13 AM8/13/94

I have always used a mosquito repellent that I learned from my Cherokee
grandmother. Here it is, straight from the wisdom of the ancestors:

Take on packet of grape flavored Kool-Aid (c)
Mix with one gallon water
Pour on self.

This one works like a charm, and you also get this nice grape smell.

Yours in freedom,

Marshal Bob

Pattie McGregor

Aug 12, 1994, 8:33:15 PM8/12/94
Louise K. Rogow <god...@access1.digex.net> wrote:

>SandraDodd <sandr...@aol.com> wrote:
>>A friend had some insect repellant last week (I wish I had remembered the
>>brand) and it smelled just like Skin-so-Soft. (It was by Off or some
>>regular insect-gunk people, I think.)
>
>Citronella. Less toxic than DEET and smells much nicer.

Ahah. This explains why S-s-S, the favored substance of my backpacker
friends, makes me itch and my nose get stuffed up.

I have a horrendous allergy to citronella. Myst have been a mosquito
in my other life...

siobhan
Siobhan Medhbh O'Roarke / Pat McGregor

Sharing her time between Crosston & 3331 Kimberly Road
Mountain's Gate/Golden Rivers Cameron Park, CA 95682
p...@cygnus.com (916) 677-6607
sio...@lloyd.com

"That's how freedom will end: not with a bang, but with a rustle of file
folders. If you love any of your rights, defend all of them!"
-Joe Chew, on the net

Louise K. Rogow

Aug 12, 1994, 10:01:14 AM8/12/94
In article <32es5u$7...@search01.news.aol.com>,

SandraDodd <sandr...@aol.com> wrote:
>A friend had some insect repellant last week (I wish I had remembered the
>brand) and it smelled just like Skin-so-Soft. (It was by Off or some
>regular insect-gunk people, I think.)

Citronella. Less toxic than DEET and smells much nicer.

>What this has to do with the SCA is Pennsic and bug-death potential.

>DON'T FORGET to wash your hands a lot at Pennsic, BTW. The Pennsic Plague
>could strike again, and bugs don't help either.

This year, at least in the DC area, I have noticed LOTS of people
coming down with Strep Throat (myself, my SO, my downstairs neighbor,
1/3rd of my co-workers, lots of our friends, etc.) I'm really hoping
that it is not going to spread like wildfire at the War, but I have
my suspicions.

Keep the Faith,
Louise

Michael A. Chance

Aug 13, 1994, 12:43:39 AM8/13/94
Siobhan Medhbh O'Roarke writes

>Louise K. Rogow <god...@access1.digex.net> wrote:
>>
>>Citronella. Less toxic than DEET and smells much nicer.
>>
>Ahah. This explains why S-s-S, the favored substance of my backpacker
>friends, makes me itch and my nose get stuffed up.

>I have a horrendous allergy to citronella. Myst have been a mosquito
>in my other life...

I, on the other hand, seem to be somewhat allergic to DEET. Can't
stand to have the more commercial bug repellants within 10 feet or so.

Makes summer camping events in the Midwestern U.S. _real_ interesting.

Mikjal Annarbjorn
--
Michael A. Chance St. Louis, Missouri, USA "At play in the fields
Work: mc3...@sw1stc.sbc.com of St. Vidicon"

SandraDodd

Aug 14, 1994, 9:10:01 AM8/14/94
In article <32hr5l$f...@agate.berkeley.edu>, et...@uclink.berkeley.edu

(Robert Glenn Etter Jr) writes:
<<Take on packet of grape flavored Kool-Aid (c)
Mix with one gallon water
Pour on self.>>

I suppose it's important to remember NOT to add sugar! <g>

Robert Glenn Etter Jr

Aug 14, 1994, 3:34:48 PM8/14/94
In article <32l539$a...@search01.news.aol.com>,

No, sugar is fine, add as much as you want. The most important thing is
to be sticky. That way, the mosquitos which land on you are trapped. In
fact, the more sugar you add, the better. The reason my grandmother
recommends *grape* Kool-Aid(c) is simply because she liked the color
purple a lot, and enjoyed the smell of grapes (artificial or not).

Mark A. Cochran

Aug 14, 1994, 9:26:22 PM8/14/94
"It ain't so, Joe!"
According to my Lady and her handy Avon catalog:
'Plant-based insect repellent repels mosquitoes, fles and deer ticks'
etc. It doesn't specifically mention equestrian uses, but there is no
clear indication that it's repellent properties have been changed in
the slightest.

Edward

--
This .sig on vacation. Have you given your .sig a vacation lately?

geneshe...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2016, 5:28:44 PM8/9/16
They changed the labeling for sure. But the Original is still the Original. The Supreme Nourishment has been added to the line with a different formula. The gold version has a new name called Radiant Moisture, It is made with Argan oil instead of JoJoba Oil like the original. The secret of SSS is not "citronella", that doesn't work as well. This is a proprietary blend that is in everything that has SSS on it. This is my biggest seller next to Avon Bug Guard recommended by the CDC. You can read an article about it on my website beautybykarenmeyer.com

Todd Rich

Aug 10, 2016, 11:47:59 AM8/10/16
geneshe...@gmail.com wrote:
> They changed the labeling for sure.
(snip)

Perhaps in your hurry to advertize you didn't notice that you were
replying to a post over 20 years old.

> On Thursday, August 11, 1994 at 9:12:03 AM UTC-7, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> > In article <940811103...@fitz.intercon.com>,

Also, this group is pretty dead now, so you didn't get many eyeballs.

tysd...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2018, 11:47:33 PM8/14/18
Hilarious...