DVDs of Operas by Siegfried Wagner

1 view

Ricardo Jimenez

Nov 14, 2021, 5:03:28 PM11/14/21
They are of Der Kobold, An Allem ist Hütchen Schuld!, and
Sonnenflammen all on Marco Polo. I got the first two cheap on Broinc
and I am sure the latter, which came out in 2021, will soon follow.

If you haven't listened to his music on Spotify or elsewhere, you will
find out that S. Wagner was a very accomplished composer in the he
knew harmony, counterpoint and orchestration very well. His Symphony
in C is better than his father's (that's not saying much) and his
violin concerto, based on music from An Allem ist Hütchen Schuld!, is
worth a listen. Most commentators think his main musical inspiration
was his teacher Humperdinck. He is tonal through and through.

My problem with the two DVDs from 2008 and 2017 that I watched was the
less than state of art video quality although the PCM stereo sound was
OK, and the shabby regietheater productions. But I think the
composer-librettist is mostly to blame for the action being completely
unintelligible. Even though I read the booklets with synopses before
watching, I soon gave up trying to figure out what was going on and
just listened to the music. Siegfried didn't seem to have any sense
of how to build up a drama and the plots are too complicated. The An
Allem DVD had a sort of interesting production concept. There were 3
levels: the bottom, the action on an almost bare stage; the second the
full orchestra behind the stage; the third the projections above the
orchestra. The story was supposed to be a compendium or 40 German
fairy tales, mostly from the brothers Grimm, but I never would have
known had I not read the booklet.

Juan I. Cahis

Nov 16, 2021, 7:39:51 AM11/16/21
I like very much his music, he was an outstanding composer, even Schoenberg
praised him. There is a CPO series of his orchestral music that it is very
good.

--
Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.