Lewis Largent sucks

Alexander DeLarge

Aug 30, 1993, 7:01:45 PM8/30/93
Am I the only one who despises the overgrown sycophantic grungemonkey
of a VJ that is Lewis Largent? Now that he's taken over 120, I've noticed a
shift to more american bands who I don't like rather thanBritish bands. What
happened to Dave Kendall? I gather he wasn't popular among some fans, but he
at least had some class. Lewis Largent calls every US band legendary, at
least those around before 1988. I mean come on, enough.

-Alex

Jeffrey Ganson

Aug 30, 1993, 8:58:46 PM8/30/93

Dave Kendall? DAVE KENDALL? I do hope you are kidding! Mr. Kendall was,
without exception, THE most annoying VJ MTV EVER had, and his demise came
none too soon.

Now, I'm not a big Lewis-booster, but I would say that he's the best
regular host 120 Minutes has ever had. That's not saying much, obviously,
but I credit him with actually having heard of all of the bands he's
introducing. He's actually interested in the music, which is also a
first. I think it's great that he gets excited when he gets to interview
folks like Paul Westerberg or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I won't say
that Lewis Largent is completely "genuine", but he's certainly not in the same
league of fakery and posturing that your friend Dave Kendall is in. As
for the move towards more US bands over British ones, well I see that as a
welcome change as well--some of us get a little tired of watching The The
week after week.

Jeff

Alexander DeLarge

Aug 31, 1993, 12:27:55 AM8/31/93
In article <25u7o6$c...@news.u.washington.edu>,

Jeffrey Ganson <jga...@stein2.u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> Am I the only one who despises the overgrown sycophantic grungemonkey
>As
>for the move towards more US bands over British ones, well I see that as a
>welcome change as well--some of us get a little tired of watching The The
>week after week.
>
>Jeff

If you want to watch an alternative show with an obvious bias towards
american music, there's kennedy, who thinks that X and Dramara are geniuses.
Kendall may not have shown much enthusiasm, but at

-Alex

chris williams

Aug 31, 1993, 1:10:53 AM8/31/93

Lewis Largent is simply the latest in eMpTyVee's search for the most
annoying, obnoxious, idiotic VJ. The progression is pretty obvious:

They had J. J. Jackson, a knowledgeable VJ, and the obvious choice
for host of an alternative music program, so they gave the show to:

Kevin (Trained) Seal. {Thanks, Mr. Lydon!} Kevin was an idiot, and
almost completely free of musical knowlege, but he simply didn't have
that irritating quality they were searching for. So they searched for
someone more irritating, and with just enough knowledge to be a danger
to himself and others:

Dave (Mr. New Jersey) Kendall. Dave was so amazingly ugly that the
powers that be didn't allow the public to see Dave'e face at first.
He did the music news for Kevin, as a voice-over first, then with his
face in shadows, the shadows getting lighter and lighter...

Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
chr...@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
vic...@njin.rutgers.edu (hers)
kate...@chinet.chinet.com (ours)

David Anthony Robson

Sep 2, 1993, 5:49:41 PM9/2/93
I really really liked Kendall at first. He always wrote the
news and profile information, even when he wasn't delivering
it, and I can't deny that he is and was quite knowledgable in
his field. I also liked him because he took as many
opportunities to bust on Kevin Seal as possible ("Kevin doesn't
like this album, but ignore him. It's really good.").

Then when he hosted the show he was able to bring his knowledge
to bear. And he was considerably well informed, and I think
quite interested in the genre. He did go out of his way to
present decent music (I recall him having quite high praise for
Coil's "The Snow" because it was quite different from the
standard 120 fare).

The best thing I can guess is, Dave Kendall was always one of
the best, smartest, and most well-informed VJs. The problem started
when he became aware of the fact and his head swelled.

And Lewis Largent is a bone-head, plain and simple. If His
Name Is Alive's "Are We Still Married" is "the reason why 120
Minutes exists," why the hell doesn't he show it more than once
instead of The Posies week after week after week....He is not
vindicated by his enthusiasm for the Westerberg interview.
Some pigs do enjoy the canary's song....

my 2 cents

See ya!
-D.
--
Dave Robson
---------- da...@faraday.clas.virginia.edu ----------

I play the organ.....but not in church.

Dan Cohen

Sep 3, 1993, 8:03:49 AM9/3/93
In article <CCqxy...@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu> da...@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (David Anthony Robson) writes:

>I really really liked Kendall at first. He always wrote the
>news and profile information, even when he wasn't delivering
>it, and I can't deny that he is and was quite knowledgable in
>his field.

So knowledgable that during U2's ZooTV tour, he asked Bono about U2's
last album, The Joshua Tree. (What ever happened to Rattle And Hum?)

-Dan

bizarr...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2019, 9:36:57 PM7/22/19
I love the fact that in 93 people were using the internet for its intended purpose already... bitching about stuff. He did stuck, though.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

anar...@gmail.com

May 28, 2020, 3:28:06 AM5/28/20
On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 7:36:57 PM UTC-6, bizarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I love the fact that in 93 people were using the internet for its intended purpose already... bitching about stuff. He did stuck, though.

I am going to start a flame war, and argue about bottom posting.
Every person is at a university, with a .edu address, not studying, but complaining about MTV.

murre...@gmail.com

May 28, 2020, 10:18:29 PM5/28/20
Where is Lewis Largent? What ever happened to him?

rob.c....@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 3:46:56 PM5/30/20
Did you show up on this thread because YouTube recommended 120 Minutes Best of 1993 and wondered who the hell is Lewis Largent and whatever happened to him?

anar...@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 4:10:42 PM5/30/20
On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 1:46:56 PM UTC-6, rob.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> Did you show up on this thread because YouTube recommended 120 Minutes Best of 1993 and wondered who the hell is Lewis Largent and whatever happened to him?

Yes, I remembered 120 minutes, I was exhausted every monday morning in high school. I remembered Kevin Seal, but not this guy so much.
Then I remembered USENET, and remembered pre-2000 internet. and how
everyone wrote in complete sentences, and huge paragraphs and had
flame wars and were all bitter and snarky. Almost all .EDU addesses.
Then I saw this.
Then I felt old. I'm 46.

rob.c....@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 8:37:51 PM5/30/20
I’m 36 now but watching this brought me back. I was more of a Pinfield fan though. I agree with the first poster, Largent sucks!

aburnerf...@gmail.com

May 31, 2020, 2:51:22 AM5/31/20
Holy shit. Yes. 100%. I’m 43 now and showing my kids what I was into back in the day. The best of 93 popped up and I rabbit-holed it HARD. I taught myself to play guitar and bass with one instructional video from some butt-rocker named Billy Sheehan (he was a genius though...still hate his actual music).

120 min went through so many changes and I remembered the end of Dave Kendall. I don’t think there was an ep of 120 where he didn’t say “Depeche Mode”...

I used to think a lot of these guys were douches back in my music snobbery days, but now I’m just getting all the feels.

I think bagging on any TV “personality” for not being genuine is laughable however. So take that 1993 commenter. Flame you from the future!

aburnerf...@gmail.com

May 31, 2020, 2:56:07 AM5/31/20
Not like anyone gives a shit, but I meant to say I learned guitar and bass from a vhs recording of all these live performances and a shitty butt-rocker instructional vid. Ok I can sleep now.

null...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2020, 2:01:33 PM6/2/20
Yeah fuck that guy

paulh...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2020, 12:48:00 AM6/3/20
On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 3:46:56 PM UTC-4, rob.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> Did you show up on this thread because YouTube recommended 120 Minutes Best of 1993 and wondered who the hell is Lewis Largent and whatever happened to him?

Holy shit yes.

cblack...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2020, 10:22:46 PM6/3/20
Holy shit yes too! So funny. Still don’t know what happened to Lewis though

hankha...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2020, 7:15:21 PM6/5/20
Exactly!!! Uncanny.

cynthia...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2020, 11:34:09 PM6/6/20
This is the best page on the internet.

paulh...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2020, 11:56:11 PM6/6/20
On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 11:34:09 PM UTC-4, cynthia...@gmail.com wrote:
> This is the best page on the internet.

I found a Facebook page and it looks dire: https://www.facebook.com/lewis.largent

Also, someone on twitter was feelin' the same in late May: https://twitter.com/TheDaysofLore/status/1265329087440019456

cliff.a...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2020, 12:31:03 AM7/13/20
The internet lives. 120 minutes rocked. And yes, i found an old video from 1993 and i was already drunk and it brought back some good memories.

ashleyc...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2020, 1:16:33 AM7/31/20
Did u guys like idalis

jen...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2020, 12:09:22 PM8/16/20
Matty Pinfield for life! Nobody else compared as far a music knowledge and connectedness with whomever he interviewed. Wish I could watch every single one of his 120's.

AlbanianMan

Mar 11, 2023, 6:30:53 PM3/11/23
He has since passed away after what's being reported as a "long illness" I was just just thinking about him not too long ago and ran into this 30 year old thread.