Anyone still around?

J.B. Wood

Sep 18, 2018, 2:32:51 PM9/18/18
Hello to all who still may be lurking. Any of you old-timers (Joey G.,
Margo S., et al) still lurking around? We all use to have some
interesting discussions here. At this point I even miss Al Silverman's
"Ancient Theory" discussions. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_1...@hotmail.com

steve...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2018, 4:37:45 PM9/18/18
I remember those folks, as well as your good self! I haven't seen anything much happen here for many months. :)

-Steve

ttw...@att.net

Sep 18, 2018, 9:53:31 PM9/18/18
I still check in now and then.

Joey Goldstein

Sep 20, 2018, 9:02:49 AM9/20/18
On 2018-09-18 2:32 PM, J.B. Wood wrote:
> Hello to all who still may be lurking.  Any of you old-timers (Joey G.,
> Margo S., et al) still lurking around?  We all use to have some
> interesting discussions here.  At this point I even miss Al Silverman's
> "Ancient Theory" discussions.  Sincerely,

I still check the group daily but rarely post.
Usenet is still the best format for long threaded discussions.
Folks try to use Facebook for discussions but it quickly becomes
impossible to see who said what to whom in a long thread.
Oh well.
Can't fight progress.

I'm assuming that Al Silverman has passed away by now.
I had a lot of fun debunking his "theories".
Learned a lot from Margo and Matt and a few others.

J.B. Wood

Sep 20, 2018, 9:33:45 AM9/20/18
On 09/20/2018 09:02 AM, Joey Goldstein wrote:

> I still check the group daily but rarely post.
> Usenet is still the best format for long threaded discussions.
> Folks try to use Facebook for discussions but it quickly becomes
> impossible to see who said what to whom in a long thread.
> Oh well.
> Can't fight progress.

Spot on, Joey, and ditto for Twitter. Usenet is a platform for a more
"civilized" era ;-). Sincerely,

john.l...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2018, 3:17:46 AM9/30/18
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 11:32:51 AM UTC-7, J.B. Wood wrote:
> Hello to all who still may be lurking. Any of you old-timers (Joey G.,
> Margo S., et al) still lurking around? We all use to have some
> interesting discussions here. At this point I even miss Al Silverman's
> "Ancient Theory" discussions.

Wow, someone who remembers us old-timers! Yeah, I check in from time to time. Traffic on Reddit's music theory group is busier, and unlike Usenet, it's always on-topic. So in recent years, that's where I go to read about music theory.

That being said, when we weren't being Trumped by Silverman, some very good thoughts were being exchanged right here.

e7m

Sep 30, 2018, 11:08:48 PM9/30/18
I would love to get the group posting again. There was a lot of knowledge made available for lots of students of theory

LJS

J.B. Wood

Oct 1, 2018, 6:52:19 AM10/1/18
On 09/30/2018 11:08 PM, e7m wrote:
> I would love to get the group posting again. There was a lot of knowledge made available for lots of students of theory
>
> LJS

Hello, LJ, and I do remember you well as a significant contributor! As
for getting things going again at I would have to think what I can add.
Except for newbies and those not wanting to check archives like Google
groups, I don't think there's much point in merely reproducing old
threads (unless we left some "loose" ends) from 10-20 years ago. My own
interests at that time were tunings, temperament, and musical acoustics
because of my engineering/math background but I think over time I got
saturated with all that's been written (including several in-depth
papers by A.J Ellis from the mid-19th century). Then there's all that
stuff on what tunings were ostensibly favored by J.S. Bach. After all
that I've come to the conclusion that 12-TET is the best all-around for
Western music when fixed-tuned, non-electronic instruments are involved.
Anyway, I'm not certain that I can easily pick out an ET maj 3rd at
400 cents vs a JI (pure) one at 386 cents within a musical (rather than
isolated) context. And I think that's why ET works. It's akin to
saying "Within what wavelength range of visible light would most people
identify as one color?" And when does green become yellow or blue?
(when does "E" become "Eb" or "F"?)

Perhaps I should now shift over to the temporal aspects rather than
frequency/pitch and concentrate on tempos and time sigs. And of course
allocate time for piano practice. (Don't cha just love those Hanon and
Schmitt drills?) Sincerely,

jduns...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2018, 9:20:40 AM10/8/18
Afraid I stopped reading daily after the 'Pest Control in Bangalore' spam.

I do wish that sort of rubbish could be monitored / controlled.

Jonathan Dunsby

J.B. Wood

Oct 9, 2018, 6:34:23 AM10/9/18
Hello, and please don't be dismayed. I've always favored the open,
unrestrictivenss of unmoderated usenet groups despite postings often
being way OT. One solution is to create a "killfiles" folder in your
newsreader app (I use Mozilla Thunderbird for both e-mail and ng
reading) to deal with repeat spammers and stuff you don't want to see.