Keller's 'wordless functional analysis'

MARK DORAN

Feb 7, 2001, 9:41:13 PM2/7/01
Well, time for another of my occasional postings asking if any of our
group's current readers know about surviving tape-recordings of Hans
Keller's old Functional Analysis broadcasts...I'm dying to know more about
what they were like, so if anyone can help out I'd be really grateful!

Thanks,

Mark D.

Terry Dwyer

Feb 8, 2001, 4:05:45 AM2/8/01
I heard a couple. The theories were far-fetched, partly incomprehensible,
and delivered in a patronising manner, as if everything he said ought to be
obvious.

A much better account of the theory was to be found in a book whose title
escapes me, by one Walker, I believe.

Terry Dwyer

MARK DORAN <za...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

MARK DORAN

Feb 8, 2001, 7:07:05 PM2/8/01
Thanks for the reply; I should say, though, that I've always found Hans
Keller the most transparently comprehensible thinker in all the theoretic
literature!

But i think I've been unclear myself: the FA broadcasts I have in mind were
completely wordless demonstrations - 'analytic scores', performed along with
the works themselves; the BBC broadcast lots of them decades ago.

SOMEONE must have copies!!!!

Mark D.

BTW, The books you refer to are by Alan Walker; one of Keller's analysis
pupils.

"Terry Dwyer" <dw...@quornlough.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Sybrand Bakker

Feb 10, 2001, 4:22:57 AM2/10/01
The book Terry Dwyer refers to is
Alan Walker A study in musical analysis, published in 1961
so badly out of print.
I managed to get one second-hand from Barnes & Noble, www.bn.com for $30.
Keller essays have been partially published (drawn from various sources) in
Hans Keller Essays on Music, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-46216-9

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker

"MARK DORAN" <za...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

Chad Green

Mar 29, 2018, 2:10:23 AM3/29/18
You can hear an example in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HelYB5XdtQc

Best,
Chad

jduns...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2019, 10:27:23 AM1/10/19
HK's work was a thing of its time, but very dated now.

Jonathan Dunsby

J.B. Wood

Jan 11, 2019, 6:31:11 AM1/11/19
On 1/10/19 10:07 AM, jduns...@gmail.com wrote:
> HK's work was a thing of its time, but very dated now.
>
> Jonathan Dunsby

Hello, and given the fact that some of us recently wanted to get r.m.t
somewhat active again, your succinct post doesn't exactly promote a
discussion. What are you offering up to support your view? If you're
referring to Herbert Anton Kellner, he visited this ng once and a while
in the past. I was interested in his views on tunings that J.S. Bach
might have preferred for keyboard instruments. While he was alive he
was kind enough to send me a postcard from Germany with a Bach
coat-of-arms that he thought also contained tuning info. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_1...@hotmail.com