FS: Yamaha DX11 DX-11 Multitimbral Synthesizer

Robert at

Sep 25, 2004, 2:28:34 PM9/25/04
I have up for auction on eBay the following:

To see the item click on the eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=3750250418

The following is a description from vintagesynth.org:

"The DX-11 was released in 1988, four years after the DX-7 hit the market.
The DX-11's synthesis and sound quality is classic DX-style FM synthesis
using 4-operators per voice. The DX-11 has one major advantage over the DX-7
and other older DX-synths, however. The DX-11 offered 8-part
multitimbrality, whereas older DX synths were monotimbral. The DX-11 is
essentially a keyboard version of Yamaha's first true multitimbral FM
synthesizer, the TX81Z rack module.

The DX-11's multitimbral features allowed you to spread various sound
patches across different areas or "zones" of the keyboard. It also allowed
for complex ensemble performances using external sequencers or while playing
live using "Performance" patches. Also added were some Quick Edit functions
so you don't have to delve into the complexity of FM synthesis to make a few
simple tweaks. These quick edits affect the tone, envelope attack and
release times. Unfortunately there are no on-board arpeggiators or
sequencers.

The DX-11 is only 8-voice polyphonic. A standard DX-7 has 16-voices and
though it is monotimbral, superior polyphony makes the DX-7 an often more
popular choice. Also, with just 8-voices, the DX-11's multitimbral
performances can wind up sounding pretty thin. Other 8-voice DX-type synths
include the DX-21, DX-100, and TX81Z. And unlike most previous DX synths
which all used sine waves for synthesis, the DX-11 offers up to eight
different waveforms to work with! And all the classic DX sounds can be found
in the DX-11. Brass, piano, strings, bell sounds, percussion, effects, and
much more. Other features include chord-stacking, digital delay, and panning
effects, however there is no chorus effect as on earlier DX-synths. At its
current low second-hand price, the DX-11 is an inexpensive way to get
useable DX sounds! It has been used by Astral Projection and Autechre."

Bob Mc

Sep 27, 2004, 3:57:09 AM9/27/04
"Robert" <rcommage(at)adelphiaDOTnet> wrote in message

What is the logic behing Yamaha's numbering of the DX-series?
I have a DX9 which, I believe, is older than the DX7, has 4 generators and
is mono - real pikey but nostalgic!

And: why, when I reply to group, do all "alt.xxxx" get rejected as not
found?

--
Bob Mc

Clive Jones

Sep 27, 2004, 7:36:25 AM9/27/04

Bob Mc wrote:

> What is the logic behing Yamaha's numbering of the DX-series?
> I have a DX9 which, I believe, is older than the DX7, has 4 generators and
> is mono - real pikey but nostalgic!

I think it's the other way around -- the DX-7 came out before the DX-9,
at least that's the way I remember it because the DX-7 was really
something not seen before when it was released in 1983. The only thing I
recall that proceeded that was the GX-1. Their numbering system does
make some sense when you look at the product release dates.

There was a real buzz about the keyboard in the music scene because you
could get one for less than half the cost of the prophet 5, OB-8 or
Jupiter 8. I had friends who had been eagerly saving there money for one
of the big polysynths only to plonk the money down on a DX-7 and still
have money for outboard stuff.

Clive
--
Board repairs. The Coin-Op Cauldron
Onsite/offsite game repairs. Easley, SC

Bob Mc

Sep 27, 2004, 7:56:57 AM9/27/04
"Clive Jones" <Clivej...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Bob Mc wrote:
>
> > What is the logic behing Yamaha's numbering of the DX-series?
> > I have a DX9 which, I believe, is older than the DX7, has 4 generators
and
> > is mono - real pikey but nostalgic!
> >

> I think it's the other way around -- the DX-7 came out before the DX-9,
> at least that's the way I remember it because the DX-7 was really
> something not seen before when it was released in 1983. The only thing I
> recall that proceeded that was the GX-1. Their numbering system does
> make some sense when you look at the product release dates.
>
> There was a real buzz about the keyboard in the music scene because you
> could get one for less than half the cost of the prophet 5, OB-8 or
> Jupiter 8. I had friends who had been eagerly saving there money for one
> of the big polysynths only to plonk the money down on a DX-7 and still
> have money for outboard stuff.

I used to have a DX-7 II FD which I sold for sweet FA in a fit of
depression!
What would one of those cost now? (I still have some of the diskettes, even)

And, of course, my DX-9 must be worth thousands now, because it's so rare
!(?)
Any offers?
ŚŹ}

Did they ever do even numbers or a DX-3?

--
Bob Mc

Lord Valve

Sep 28, 2004, 3:50:16 AM9/28/04

Bob Mc wrote:

> ━}

> Did they ever do even numbers or a DX-3?

There was a DX-1 and a DX-5. Herbie Hancock has a DX-1.
They didn't make many, and they were $14,000 way back when.
I saw one, once. I didn't care for the action (I'm an organist)
but it sounded pretty fat. Here, check it out:
http://www.vintagesynth.org/yamaha/dx1.shtml

Lord Valve