Ad Lib, Inc. Music Synthesizer

George Heymann

Apr 25, 1989, 11:37:00 PM4/25/89

=== Ad Lib, Inc. ===
(C) 1989 George H. Heymann

The Ad Lib, Inc. board is a fully programable half-length music
synthesizer card for the IBM PC,XT, AT and compatibles that can
play up to eleven different instrument sounds at the same time
and features amplified audio output through an external speaker,
headphones or a stereo system.

The Ad Lib package is very easy to use, and the board sounds great.
It can play a full range of instruments, everything from pianos and
electric guitars to snare drums, cymbals and game sounds.

Installation is straight forward, although the card that I received,
did not align properly with the opening for the slot in my case once
it was seated in the motherboard socket. I juggled my boards and
tried the card in several different slots, including slots that
previously held cards that lined up perfectly, with the same result.
After carefull examination of the board I noticed that the 1/4" audio
jack was placed slightly right of center on the bracket attached to
the synthesizer card. With some gentle pressure I was able to push the
audio jack far enough to the left to clear the lip of the exposed
slot. I also experienced a slight problem with the packaging of the
card, the manual states that the package includes an 1/8" adaptor
for an ultra-light headset, but no adapter came in the package.
Also, in order to connect the board to external speakers, an amp or
stereo system you must purchase a seperate adaptor to go from the
1/4" headphone jack to standard RCA jacks. Although the adaptor is
very inexpensive ($2.57 at Radio Shack), It is inconvenient that it
is not included with the package. Once installed and the proper
adaptor was purchased the board performed flawlessly in my system.

Ad Lib has an impressive list of software developers (That seems
to be growing every month). When I first saw their ads back in
October of 1988, They were being supported by Sierra and had a
statement to the effect that " A growing number of software
publishers and titles would be supporting their product." I thought
to myself, "Yeah right, good one", how many times have we heard
promises like this before. Well folks...I'm here to tell you that
they have made a believer out of me, here is a copy of Ad Libs list
of games available or under development that supports their board,
(As of February 15th, 1989).

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!307!1!George.Heymann
Internet: George....@f1.n307.z1.fidonet.org