Rod McKuen

DianeE

Jan 29, 2015, 8:34:33 PM1/29/15
Just heard on the radio a little while ago that Rod McKuen died today, age
81. He wrote two big hit songs I utterly loathed, "Jean" and "Seasons In
The Sun." I was actually surprised to learn he wrote "Seasons In The Sun"
because I always assumed it was some translation from the French.

<googles>
Oh, okay, "Seasons In The Sun" *is* based on Jacques Brel's "Le Moribond."

DianeE

BobbyM

Jan 29, 2015, 10:01:22 PM1/29/15
On 1/30/2015 10:34 AM, DianeE wrote:
> Just heard on the radio a little while ago that Rod McKuen died today, age
> 81. He wrote two big hit songs I utterly loathed, "Jean" and "Seasons In
> The Sun."

I can tolerate "Jean".

I was actually surprised to learn he wrote "Seasons In The Sun"
> because I always assumed it was some translation from the French.
>
> <googles>
> Oh, okay, "Seasons In The Sun" *is* based on Jacques Brel's "Le Moribond."

McKuen also took some writing credits on Brel's "If You Go Away" or
whatever the original title was.

I was most surprised several years ago to learn that McKuen was Dor of
Bob McFadden & Dor, who put out The Mummy in 1959:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvpQjl8SWw

Mark Dintenfass

Jan 29, 2015, 10:21:21 PM1/29/15
In article <maes4v$8cm$1...@dont-email.me>, BobbyM
<massey...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was most surprised several years ago to learn that McKuen was Dor of
> Bob McFadden & Dor, who put out The Mummy in 1959:

For some reason, I find this small fact immensely pleasing.

--
--md
_________

BobbyM

Jan 29, 2015, 11:11:28 PM1/29/15
On 1/30/2015 12:21 PM, Mark Dintenfass wrote:
> In article <maes4v$8cm$1...@dont-email.me>, BobbyM
> <massey...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was most surprised several years ago to learn that McKuen was Dor of
>> Bob McFadden & Dor, who put out The Mummy in 1959:
>
> For some reason, I find this small fact immensely pleasing.

I do too. Because so many of his late 60s-early 70s recordings seemed
so lifeless & were real downers, it was nice to know that he did have a
humorous side.

Jan Dean

Jan 29, 2015, 11:37:02 PM1/29/15
I have been a rover.
I have walked alone.
Hiked a hundred highways,
Never found a home.

Still in all, I'm happy.
The reason is, you see,
Once in a while, along the way . . . .

Roger Ford

Jan 29, 2015, 11:52:08 PM1/29/15
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:01:19 +0900, BobbyM <massey...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
He also had featured roles in the turgid r&r movie "Rock Pretty Baby"
as long ago as 1956 and its equally underwhelming sequel "Summer Love"
two years later (both alongside the then unknown Shelley Fabares)

And who could forget his minor hit in 1961 with one of the true
classics (NOT!) of the twist genre---the inevitable "Oliver Twist" and
its sequel the following year "Oliver Twist Meets The Duke Of Oil"

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk).

Ken Whiton

Jan 31, 2015, 4:06:33 AM1/31/15
*-* On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, at 12:01:19 +0900,
*-* In Article <maes4v$8cm$1...@dont-email.me>,
*-* BobbyM wrote
*-* About Re: Rod McKuen

[ ... ]

> I was most surprised several years ago to learn that McKuen was Dor
> of Bob McFadden & Dor, who put out The Mummy in 1959:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvpQjl8SWw

Have you since noticed that "Dor" is simply "Rod" spelled
sdrawkcab? ;-) :-D

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

BobbyM

Jan 31, 2015, 5:37:13 AM1/31/15
On 1/31/2015 6:05 PM, Ken Whiton wrote:
> *-* On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, at 12:01:19 +0900,
> *-* In Article <maes4v$8cm$1...@dont-email.me>,
> *-* BobbyM wrote
> *-* About Re: Rod McKuen
>
> [ ... ]
>
>> I was most surprised several years ago to learn that McKuen was Dor
>> of Bob McFadden & Dor, who put out The Mummy in 1959:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvpQjl8SWw
>
> Have you since noticed that "Dor" is simply "Rod" spelled
> sdrawkcab? ;-) :-D

Honestly, I had not; just thought it was a name they came up for the
character. Thanks, Ken.

Rink

Nov 15, 2020, 7:47:28 AM11/15/20
Op 30-1-2015 om 5:52 schreef Roger Ford:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:01, BobbyM wrote:
>> On 1/30/2015 10:34 AM, DianeE wrote:
>>> Just heard on the radio a little while ago that Rod McKuen died today, age
>>> 81. He wrote two big hit songs I utterly loathed, "Jean" and "Seasons In
>>> The Sun."
>>
>> I can tolerate "Jean".
>>
>> I was actually surprised to learn he wrote "Seasons In The Sun"
>>> because I always assumed it was some translation from the French.
>>>
>>> <googles>
>>> Oh, okay, "Seasons In The Sun" *is* based on Jacques Brel's "Le Moribond."
>>
>> McKuen also took some writing credits on Brel's "If You Go Away" or
>> whatever the original title was.
>>
>> I was most surprised several years ago to learn that McKuen was Dor of
>> Bob McFadden & Dor, who put out The Mummy in 1959:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvpQjl8SWw
>
> He also had featured roles in the turgid r&r movie "Rock Pretty Baby"
> as long ago as 1956 and its equally underwhelming sequel "Summer Love"
> two years later (both alongside the then unknown Shelley Fabares)
>
> And who could forget his minor hit in 1961 with one of the true
> classics (NOT!) of the twist genre---the inevitable "Oliver Twist" and
> its sequel the following year "Oliver Twist Meets The Duke Of Oil"

Thank you for the nice "The Mummy" from 1959.

Rod McKuen had two nr.1 hits in The Netherlands in 1971:

Soldiers Who Want To Be Heroes
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-l0o3tOXw0>

Without A Worry In The World
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8whup6Ax4Y>

Top 40 Hitdossier:
<https://www.top40.nl/top40-artiesten/rod-mckuen>

Rink

Marc Catone

Nov 15, 2020, 3:15:25 PM11/15/20
This reminds me of Henry Gibson's poem on "Laugh-In":

"Rod McKuen,
What are you doin?"