Crazy Early Impact of Beatlemania

Taliesyn

Sep 13, 2012, 3:37:42 PM9/13/12
As we all know The Beatles dominated North American charts in March of
1964 with a handful (and then some) of singles - all at the same time!
But there was also a slew of artists along for the ride, just singing
about The Beatles!

Looking at a Vancouver (Canada) Top 50 chart from March 21, 1964 I find 3
hangers-on:

#10 "A Beatle I Want To Be" by Sonny Curtis (Dimension 1024)

#22 "We Love You Beatles" by The Carefrees (London International 10614)

#23 "A Letter To The Beatles" by The Four Preps (Capitol 5143)

I've listened to these songs, and they're really quite lame. So it's
difficult to imagine today who wanted to buy them. Obviously they were
more relevant back in their day, midst the novelty of the Beatles
madness on the radio. The only one I really remember is by The Carefrees.
And no, I had no use for it back then either.

The Beatles themselves occupied the following positions with these
named singles (as per survey):

#1 "All My Loving" / "This Boy" [B-side] [CANADA ONLY SINGLE]
#2 "I Want To Hold Your Hand" / "I Saw Her Standing There" [B-side]
#6 "Can't Buy Me Love"
#39 "She Loves You" [two singles shared #39 position]
#39 "Please Mr. Postman [two singles shared #39 position]
#48 "My Bonnie"

I know there are charts with even more Beatles songs on it. But this one
was used as it shows the 3 "hangers-on".

The one other interesting aspect of this particular chart is that the
first 6 singles were all on the Capitol Records of Canada label: 3 by The
Beatles, Dave Clark Five, Swinging Blue Jeans & The Beach Boys. (Note)
In Canada, The Dave Clark Five and The Swinging Blue Jeans were also on
Capitol, unlike the States where they were on Epic and Imperial.

-Taliesyn

Jan Dean

Sep 13, 2012, 11:51:35 PM9/13/12
Taliesyn wrote:

> #1 "All My Loving" / "This Boy" [B-side] [CANADA ONLY SINGLE]

Wasn't this the one with the 'hi-hat' intro?

Taliesyn

Sep 14, 2012, 6:24:08 AM9/14/12
Jan Dean <jan...@surfcity.com> wrote in news:k2u9k1$g9p$2...@dont-email.me:

> Taliesyn wrote:
>
>> #1 "All My Loving" / "This Boy" [B-side] [CANADA ONLY SINGLE]
>
> Wasn't this the one with the 'hi-hat' intro?

I don't have the original single anymore. But checking the Internet, I
believe the "high hat" cymbal intro version was only released on albums
in the Netherlands and Germany.

Clifford Blau

Sep 15, 2012, 8:42:06 PM9/15/12
On 13 Sep 2012 19:37:42 GMT, Taliesyn <tali...@netscape.net> wrote:

>As we all know The Beatles dominated North American charts in March of
>1964 with a handful (and then some) of singles - all at the same time!
>But there was also a slew of artists along for the ride, just singing
>about The Beatles!

Yeah, there were a bunch of anti-Beatles records then, too. Most of
them seemed to involve the singer pretending he couldn't remember the
name of the Beatles (either the group or the members) and I think all
of them were awful. Don't know if any of them charted.

"Curse you, Don Tickles, Notary Public!"

BobbyM

Sep 16, 2012, 1:16:30 AM9/16/12
Undoubtedly the biggest Beatles' related song to chart was Ringo by
Lorne Greene. Couldn't have picked a better to release that song.

The Bloomfield Bloviator

Sep 16, 2012, 2:47:03 AM9/16/12
On Sep 16, 1:16 am, BobbyM <masseybNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/2012 9:42 AM, Clifford Blau wrote:
>
> > On 13 Sep 2012 19:37:42 GMT, Taliesyn <talies...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >> As we all know The Beatles dominated North American charts in March of
> >> 1964 with a handful (and then some) of singles - all at the same time!
> >> But there was also a slew of artists along for the ride, just singing
> >> about The Beatles!
>
> > Yeah, there were a bunch of anti-Beatles records then, too.  Most of
> > them seemed to involve the singer pretending he couldn't remember the
> > name of the Beatles (either the group or the members) and I think all
> > of them were awful.  Don't know if any of them charted.
>
> Undoubtedly the biggest Beatles' related song to chart was Ringo by
> Lorne Greene.  Couldn't have picked a better to release that song.

That wasn't really Beatles related.

I heard an odd one on the radio today, I thought it was the Hound on
the Seton Hall station who played it, but it must have been some other
college DJ. Looks like the Hound is not on the air anymore. Sounded
like his show though.

Something about "I'm not a Beatle, but I want to hold your hand." I
forgot who he said the artist was.

BobbyM

Sep 16, 2012, 4:31:15 AM9/16/12
On 9/16/2012 3:47 PM, The Bloomfield Bloviator wrote:
> On Sep 16, 1:16 am, BobbyM <masseybNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/16/2012 9:42 AM, Clifford Blau wrote:

>>> Yeah, there were a bunch of anti-Beatles records then, too. Most
>>> of them seemed to involve the singer pretending he couldn't
>>> remember the name of the Beatles (either the group or the
>>> members) and I think all of them were awful. Don't know if any
>>> of them charted.
>>
>> Undoubtedly the biggest Beatles' related song to chart was Ringo
>> by Lorne Greene. Couldn't have picked a better to release that
>> song.
>
> That wasn't really Beatles related.

Duh! But don't you think it helped sales by naming the song, "Ringo",
instead of "Johnny Ringo" or whatever? Here's what wikipedia has to
say, which backs up why I mentioned it in the first place:

(quote)
Like "Bonanza", "Ringo" began as a track on Greene's WELCOME TO THE
PONDEROSA RCA Victor lp in late 1963. On the album, each track was
supplemented with an introduction to each song, separately tracked.
By October 1964, Ringo Starr's popularity in the Beatles prompted
"Ringo" to be released as a single, even though it was never about
him. The album's introductions were left off of the single release.
"Ringo" debuted in Billboard in October 1964. By the same time, a
special promotional recording by Greene (possibly Canadian only) was
sent to radio stations to promote the album, where he speaks about
seven of the album's tracks. "Ringo" was the lead track. On it, he
talks about the probable confusion between his song character and the
Beatles and the "wonderful drummer of theirs", assuring the listener
that it's not about him. About this time, the album had been upgraded
to include a notation on the front jacket, FEATURING THE BIG HIT
"RINGO". In 1965, Lorne Greene recorded a French version of "Ringo"
as well.
(end quote)

Here's one that was pretty big in Dallas, Rex Miller with Ringo's Doctor:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfBv6Disbw

The song is a break in record with all Beatles' songs but a local band
performs the songs. Rex Miller was a disc jockey on KLIF, Dallas'
biggest rock station at the time. It was 50,000 watts during the day
but when the sun went down their output dropped drastically. I lived 60
miles from Dallas & couldn't pick it up at night while WLS from Chicago
usually came in clear.

Taliesyn

Sep 16, 2012, 9:16:15 AM9/16/12
BobbyM <massey...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:k33nbh$96o$1@dont-
email.me:
I still get a chuckle from Frank Gallop's hilarious parody of "Ringo",
called "The Ballad of Irving" (1966).

The Bloomfield Bloviator

Sep 16, 2012, 10:13:56 AM9/16/12
On Sep 16, 4:31 am, BobbyM <masseybNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/2012 3:47 PM, The Bloomfield Bloviator wrote:

> >> Undoubtedly the biggest Beatles' related song to chart was Ringo
> >> by Lorne Greene.  Couldn't have picked a better to release that
> >> song.
>
> > That wasn't really Beatles related.
>
> Duh!  But don't you think it helped sales by naming the song, "Ringo",
> instead of "Johnny Ringo" or whatever?

Perhaps, but the song was named before anybody in America knew who
Ringo Starr was, and before the Beatles ever had a hit over here. So
it's not "Beatles Related."

"Beatles Related" requires that the record mentions the Beatles, or
copies their sound, or was written by one of them. The fact that the
title of the record was coincidentally the nickname of one of the
Beatles may have been lucky ffor Greene in helping the record get
noticed, but that does not make it "Beatles Related."

marcus60s

Sep 16, 2012, 12:13:40 PM9/16/12
A palm reader, perhaps?

Jeff

Sep 16, 2012, 12:52:56 PM9/16/12
On Sep 16, 9:13 am, The Bloomfield Bloviator <Savo...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 4:31 am, BobbyM <masseybNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > That wasn't really Beatles related.
>
> > Duh!  But don't you think it helped sales by naming the song, "Ringo",
> > instead of "Johnny Ringo" or whatever?
>
> Perhaps, but the song was named before anybody in America knew who
> Ringo Starr was,

How do you know when the first american knew who Ringo Starr was?

Taliesyn

Sep 16, 2012, 1:17:06 PM9/16/12
The Bloomfield Bloviator <Sav...@aol.com> wrote in

> On Sep 16, 1:16�am, BobbyM <masseybNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/16/2012 9:42 AM, Clifford Blau wrote:

>> > Yeah, there were a bunch of anti-Beatles records then, too. �Most
>> > of them seemed to involve the singer pretending he couldn't
>> > remember the name of the Beatles (either the group or the members)
>> > and I think all of them were awful. �Don't know if any of them
>> > charted.
>>
>> Undoubtedly the biggest Beatles' related song to chart was Ringo by
>> Lorne Greene. �Couldn't have picked a better to release that song.
>
> That wasn't really Beatles related.

I dunno, Bruce; I see subtle signs in this newly surfaced picture sleeve
cover of Lorne Greene's "Ringo". . .

Copy below 2 line address as one line!!! (my reader won't let me)

http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r549/Taliesyn4/?
action=view&current=Ringo45F.jpg

-Taliesyn

marcus60s

Sep 16, 2012, 8:31:38 PM9/16/12
On Sep 16, 1:16 am, BobbyM <masseybNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/2012 9:42 AM, Clifford Blau wrote:
>
> > On 13 Sep 2012 19:37:42 GMT, Taliesyn <talies...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >> As we all know The Beatles dominated North American charts in March of
> >> 1964 with a handful (and then some) of singles - all at the same time!
> >> But there was also a slew of artists along for the ride, just singing
> >> about The Beatles!
>
> > Yeah, there were a bunch of anti-Beatles records then, too.  Most of
> > them seemed to involve the singer pretending he couldn't remember the
> > name of the Beatles (either the group or the members) and I think all
> > of them were awful.  Don't know if any of them charted.
>
> Undoubtedly the biggest Beatles' related song to chart was Ringo by
> Lorne Greene.  Couldn't have picked a better to release that song.

From our friends at Wikipedia:

[...]

A completely sung version of the song was recorded by Riders in the
Sky.

In December 1964, the first parody of the song was issued; "Gringo",
written by Marty Cooper and H.B. Barnum. Cooper, himself, would record
it under the name of El Clod, a name he had used in 1962 to record a
parody on the Challenge label for the song "Wolverton Mountain", which
was called "Tiajuana Border". This "Ringo" parody would be issued on
the Vee Jay label.

Other parodies soon followed, including two by Frank Gallop with his
1966 hit single, "The Ballad of Irving" on the Kapp label, which was
quickly chased with a sequel, "The Son Of Irving" on the Musicor label
(also in 1966). Another happened in the 1980s by Dutch comedian Andre
van Duin (as "Bingo"); and then by Country Yossi and the Shteeble
Hoppers (as "Shlomo").

The 2005 short film "Ringo", which used the song along with public
domain footage of John Wayne and Roy Rogers, won the Short Film Award
for animated film at the 2005 Seattle International Film Festival."

marcus60s

Sep 16, 2012, 8:33:53 PM9/16/12
On Sep 15, 8:41 pm, Clifford Blau <cliffordb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
The one anti-Beatles song I remember was Allan Sherman's "I Hate The
Beatles".

Marc

http://marccatone.webs.com/newbook.htm

Jeff

Sep 16, 2012, 8:45:48 PM9/16/12
I just found it, Marcus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgKCQJfAVgI

Dean F.

Sep 16, 2012, 9:50:31 PM9/16/12
On Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:31:22 AM UTC-4, BobbyM wrote:

> Here's one that was pretty big in Dallas, Rex Miller with Ringo's Doctor:

God, that's lame! I much prefer Buchanan & Greenfield's "The Invasion":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z6yHAmnLhk

Tim

Sep 17, 2012, 10:43:51 AM9/17/12
In the US The Beatles held the top five spots, all at once....

:" During the week of April 4, 1964, “Can’t Buy Me Love”, “Twist and
Shout”, “She Loves You”, “I Want to Hold Your Hand”, and “Please
Please Me” occupied the top five spots simultaneously on the Billboard
Hot 100. To date, this achievement has never been matched by any other
artists."

Rink

Aug 25, 2020, 1:57:12 PM8/25/20
Op 17-9-2012 om 2:45 schreef Jeff: