MP3: Shakin' all Over::Normie Rowe

Dea...@play.com

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Just posted to the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.1960's
In 1965 Melbourne,Australia born Normie Rowe
Released a double sided "cover" single of "Que sera,sera b/w Shakin'
all over",which took the Australian charts by storm,reaching No.1,and
lasting some 28 weeks(depending on which chart you look at) in the
top40.
--
Deanii.

Frank Calabrese

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98

Already have this on at least 2 compilation CD's but I like this
better than the Johnny Kidd Version. Perhaps you could post Que Sera
Sera for our US friends to demonstrate how a staid Doris Day song can
relly rock :-)

Frank

shar...@cut#this.umcc.ais.org

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
Dea...@play.com wrote:

>Just posted to the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.1960's
>In 1965 Melbourne,Australia born Normie Rowe
>Released a double sided "cover" single of "Que sera,sera b/w Shakin'
>all over",which took the Australian charts by storm,reaching No.1,and
>lasting some 28 weeks(depending on which chart you look at) in the
>top40.
>--
>Deanii.

Thanks for posting both sides. I just won the U.S. release of the
record in an auction. But since It'll be a few days before I get it,
I'll take a listen to the mp3s.

Steve
sharknas(at)umcc(dot)ais(dot)org
Note the new addy

Dave(the boss302)McCleary

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Still the best versions are Chad Allen and the Expressions (to become
the Guess Who) and the Who Live at Leeds

shar...@cut#this.umcc.ais.org

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
mccl...@wchat.com (Dave(the boss302)McCleary) wrote:

>Still the best versions are Chad Allen and the Expressions (to become
>the Guess Who) and the Who Live at Leeds

I have to go with Johnny Kidd & The Pirates. Their original is a true
rock classic.

Greg Ioannou

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
In article <362a91cd...@news.worldlinx.com>, mccl...@wchat.on.ca wrote:
>Still the best versions are Chad Allen and the Expressions (to become
>the Guess Who) and the Who Live at Leeds

I've always felt that the Guess Who's version was a lame copy of Johnny Kidd's
original -- the same notes without the same fire. And anyone who think's the
Guess Who's version is better than Normie Rowe's just plain hasn't hear
Normie's!

The Who are a different matter -- I still love Live at Leeds. If I had to rank
the four recordings, my ranking would be Kidd, Who, Rowe, and (by far the
weakest of the four) the Guess Who. Alas, here in Toronto, the worst of the
four is the only one they play on the radio.

Greg Ioannou
gr...@e-mend.com

Paul Scott

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
> >In 1965 Melbourne,Australia born Normie Rowe
> >Released a double sided "cover" single of "Que sera,sera b/w Shakin'
> >all over",which took the Australian charts by storm,reaching No.1,and
> >lasting some 28 weeks(depending on which chart you look at) in the
> >top40.
> >--
> >Deanii.

Hey Deanii, how about posting something by that other Melbourne rocker
Merv Benton, seeing he lives just out of Phoenix these days.
Like "Yield Not to Temptation" or his cover of Johnny Burnette's
"Cincinatti Fireball".

PS: I asked Rod Gillespie what he did with the old W&G masters and he
said that Astor did not get them. They were boxed and sent to the
Canberra archives. However, very few were labelled which means, we
presume, that a whole heap of masters are down in the vaults in
Canberra waiting to be "discovered"

wil...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
In article <70e8f2$s54$2...@news.interlog.com>,
gr...@e-mend.com (Greg Ioannou) wrote:

> ... my ranking would be Kidd, Who, Rowe, and (by far the

> weakest of the four) the Guess Who. Alas, here in Toronto, the worst of the
> four is the only one they play on the radio.

Here in South Florida, we no longer get even that version on oldies radio!

--
William Long
a018...@bc.seflin.org

Greg Ioannou

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

>PS: I asked Rod Gillespie what he did with the old W&G masters and he
>said that Astor did not get them. They were boxed and sent to the
>Canberra archives. However, very few were labelled which means, we
>presume, that a whole heap of masters are down in the vaults in
>Canberra waiting to be "discovered"

Explains why I can't find that stuff on CD, I guess!

Greg Weatherby

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

>>In 1965 Melbourne,Australia born Normie Rowe
>>Released a double sided "cover" single of "Que sera,sera b/w Shakin'
>>all over",which took the Australian charts by storm,reaching No.1,and
>>lasting some 28 weeks(depending on which chart you look at) in the
>>top40.

For those interested in Normie Rowe, the brand new issue of Zabadak
has a review of "Shakin' All Over" a NR and the Playboys 22 track
Australian album, apparently released in 1986. Also a long article on
the Easybeats with a 1998 picture of Stevie Wright and " 6 great Oz
singles and EPs from the 60s" for all the OzPop fans

Greg

Paul Scott

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Greg Weatherby wrote:

> >>In 1965 Melbourne,Australia born Normie Rowe
> >>Released a double sided "cover" single of "Que sera,sera b/w Shakin' All Over."

Now I don't want to get into an argument with Norm or Dr Pepper about
what is a cover and what is a remake, but I never considered that
Normie's or Guess Who "covered" the "Shakin' All Over" by the late
Johnny Kidd.

The original (Kidd's) came out mid-1960 and "covered" in Australia by
Johnny Chester going into 1961.
We used to play the Johnny Chester version and say that it was a cover
of the English hit for Johnny Kidd. Now that was three years ahead of
Normie Rowe cutting the song and four years ahead of Guess Who (who I
surmise heard the Rowe version - which was Rowe's only North American
release.
I can tell you that Normie Rowe never heard the Johnny Kidd version
before he recorded it. Johnny Chester admits he copied the Kidd version
note for note. Normie Rowe heard the Chester version. He did that
because when he was 13 he used to sing at the Preston Town Hall where
Johnny Chester and his band were not only the house band but Johnny was
the promotor. Johnny used to sing "Shakin All Over" every Saturday night
for at least four years.
Normie Rowe's version to me will always be a remake of "Shakin All
Over", not a cover/ The same as the flip Que Sera Sera. It was hardly a
"cover" of a 1956 Doris Day hit. I agree that there have been some
"covers" a year or two after original releases, but I always believe a
cover, is pretty much deliberately like the original for reasons which
have been mentioned and explored in full in this group just recently.

And by the way - and I know I labor the point about charts. All I know
is that Johnny Chester's first three records all made Top 10 in
melbourne. Sydney's bigtime disc jockey Tony Withers played California
Sun once and once only. "Shakin All Over", "Can Can Ladies" and
"Summertime Blues", "Hokey Pokey", "Nick Nack Paddy Whack" and CpMon
Everybody" all made top 40 in Melbourne (three made top 10) but you
won't find them on the so called National Australian charts (which were
not national).

Johnny Chester is not the only Melbourne artist who "suffered" by not
getting full recognition on the "national charts" because the charts
were put in a rubbish bin.
Most of them turned up for the funeral of saxaphone player in the
Thunderbirds Henri Bource last month. Colin Cook was there, so was Pat
Carroll, Bobby Cookson, Billy O'Rourke and a heap of others.
Bourci had the respect of them all. Apart from playing that wild sax
Henry beat the odds - losing a leg in a shark attack in 1965 before
going down to leukemia last month.
The pall bearers carried the coffin as the speakers belted out Peter
Gunn, which the Thunderbirds cut in 1961.

Greg Ioannou

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <362C89...@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>, Paul Scott <ho...@apollo.ruralnet.net.au> wrote:

> Over."
>
>Now I don't want to get into an argument with Norm or Dr Pepper about
>what is a cover and what is a remake, but I never considered that
>Normie's or Guess Who "covered" the "Shakin' All Over" by the late
>Johnny Kidd.

I agree with you on Rowe, but not on the Guess Who. Normie's version has a
totally different feel than Kidd's version -- definitely a remake rather than
a cover. Whether he heard the Kidd original or Johnny Chester's cover version
doesn't really matter. Normie took the song and made it his own.

The Guess Who didn't. Their song, if not exactly a note-for-note rerecording
of Kidd, is pretty close to it. But to me it sounds sterile, without the
energy of Kidd's recording (or Normie's). Like a poor photocopy.

Greg Ioannou

Paul Scott

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Whether he heard the Kidd original or Johnny Chester's cover version
> doesn't really matter. Normie took the song and made it his own.

Agree. That's why I told you that Normie never heard the Johnny Kidd
version. And how and why he heard the Johnny Chester version.
It's time someone posted the Chester version so everyone has the
complete story.
Have you got it Dr Pepper?