Bruce's observations - August 2021

DianeE

Aug 1, 2021, 6:40:15 AM8/1/21
New month, new thread. Anyone else who wants to start a thread, let me
know and I'll get it going for you.

Bill B

Aug 1, 2021, 4:41:45 PM8/1/21
On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 6:40:15 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
> New month, new thread. Anyone else who wants to start a thread, let me
> know and I'll get it going for you.
Diane,

Could you start one titled The Neons for me?

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 2:52:07 PM8/3/21
THERE'S A NEW CD IN TOWN!

And Diane would kill me if I ever put this one on when she's in the car. She absolutely despises this act's records.

JOHNNY MATHIS

Only 26 tracks would fit. I only used 5 tracks from after 1958.

Wonderful, Wonderful
When Sunny Gets Blue
It's Not For Me To Say
Looking At You
That Old Black Magic
Too Close For Comfort
Chances Are
The Twelfth of Never
Warm
My One And Only Love
I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
Then I'll Be Tired of You
Wild Is The Wind
Come To Me
Teacher, Teacher
A Certain Smile
Misty
Winter Wonderland
Sleigh Ride
The First Noel
Silver Bells
Gina
What Will Mary Say
On A Clear Day, You Can See Forever
Love Theme from Romeo And Juliet
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

DianeE

Aug 3, 2021, 3:07:09 PM8/3/21
On 8/3/2021 2:52 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> THERE'S A NEW CD IN TOWN!
>
> And Diane would kill me if I ever put this one on when she's in the car. She absolutely despises this act's records.
>
> JOHNNY MATHIS

> Love Theme from Romeo And Juliet
---------
I happen to know that you detest the hit version of this song. How can
you tolerate it by Mathis?

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2021, 3:20:41 PM8/3/21
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:52:06 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>THERE'S A NEW CD IN TOWN!
>
>And Diane would kill me if I ever put this one on when she's in the car. She absolutely despises this act's records.

Don't understand why.....he's definitely one of the better pop
balladeers of the day.

>JOHNNY MATHIS

Good selection but I'd have to include his "Maria" for obvious reasons
(but I do like the song anyway one of the best from "West Side Story")

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 3:22:52 PM8/3/21
The hit is an instrumental.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 3:23:53 PM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 3:20:41 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:52:06 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >THERE'S A NEW CD IN TOWN!
> >
> >And Diane would kill me if I ever put this one on when she's in the car. She absolutely despises this act's records.
> >
> Don't understand why.....he's definitely one of the better pop
> balladeers of the day.
>
> >JOHNNY MATHIS
> >
> Good selection but I'd have to include his "Maria" for obvious reasons

I would not include a song named "Diane" if it was bad, and my Diane does not like any song (so far) that has her name in it.

DianeE

Aug 3, 2021, 3:33:03 PM8/3/21
---------
<gasp!> Are you saying you like the lyrics?

DianeE

Aug 3, 2021, 3:34:23 PM8/3/21
On 8/3/2021 3:20 PM, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:52:06 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> THERE'S A NEW CD IN TOWN!
>>
>> And Diane would kill me if I ever put this one on when she's in the car. She absolutely despises this act's records.
>>
> Don't understand why.....he's definitely one of the better pop
> balladeers of the day.
------------
Because he always *sounds* like a kitten up a tree, that's why.

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2021, 3:37:13 PM8/3/21
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 12:23:52 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 3:20:41 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:52:06 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
>> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >THERE'S A NEW CD IN TOWN!
>> >
>> >And Diane would kill me if I ever put this one on when she's in the car. She absolutely despises this act's records.
>> >
>> Don't understand why.....he's definitely one of the better pop
>> balladeers of the day.
>>
>> >JOHNNY MATHIS
>> >
>> Good selection but I'd have to include his "Maria" for obvious reasons
>
>I would not include a song named "Diane" if it was bad,

I like the "Maria" song from WSS but I detest the other "Maria" show
tune (the one in "The Sound Of Music")

>and my Diane does not like any song (so far) that has her name in it.

Yes I remember an occasion from years ago when I happened to mention
"Little Diane" in a response to her :)

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2021, 3:49:00 PM8/3/21
Note to Bruce : Mathis has the perfect answer if you check his back
catalog

"How To Handle A Woman"

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 4:14:19 PM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 3:49:00 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 15:34:20 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
> >On 8/3/2021 3:20 PM, Roger Ford wrote:

> >> Don't understand why.....he's definitely one of the better pop
> >> balladeers of the day.
> >------------
> >Because he always *sounds* like a kitten up a tree, that's why.
> Note to Bruce : Mathis has the perfect answer if you check his back
> catalog
>
> "How To Handle A Woman"

Johnny does not know much about women, trust me.

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2021, 4:17:15 PM8/3/21
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 13:14:18 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 3:49:00 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:

>> >------------
>> >Because he always *sounds* like a kitten up a tree, that's why.
>> Note to Bruce : Mathis has the perfect answer if you check his back
>> catalog
>>
>> "How To Handle A Woman"
>
>Johnny does not know much about women, trust me.

You're right I'd forgotten about that lol

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 3, 2021, 5:03:28 PM8/3/21
Tremendous artist and great list of memorable songs!!

You needed to include his last charter, "Too Much Too Little Too Late" with Denice Williams!!

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 5:30:58 PM8/3/21
No thanks

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 5:36:00 PM8/3/21
It's another new CD!

In honor of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUjbDK8trBA

ARTIE SHAW

Only got 25 songs on this one. The records were not as short in the Big Band era.

There's Frost On The Moon
Love And Learn
All God's Chillun Got Rhythm
Free Wheeling
Indian Love Call
Begin The Beguine
Back Bay Shuffle
Nightmare
Thanks For Ev'rything
What Is This Thing Called Love
Lover Come Back To Me
Rosalie
Villa
Delightful Delirium
When Winter Comes
Comes Love (Radio Version)
Traffic Jam
Frenesi
Summit Ridge Drive
Star Dust
It Had To Be You
Blues In The Night
St. James Infirmary
Temptation
I Got The Sun In The Morning

Bill B

Aug 3, 2021, 5:50:57 PM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 5:36:00 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> It's another new CD!
>
> In honor of this scene:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUjbDK8trBA
>
> ARTIE SHAW

I'm waiting for Mrs. Miller. She must be on your short list by now.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 3, 2021, 6:38:28 PM8/3/21
I think Bruce misses his buddies Blumenthal and Pendragon and is feverishly baiting 'em back in here, baby!!

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 6:59:02 PM8/3/21
Okay, another CD done.

TOMMY DORSEY

25 songs this time, so they are averaging over 3 minutes each. This one was difficult as I am not a huge fan. There were only a dozen songs that I rated as a 6 or 7. The there were about 40 songs that are fives that I had to go through to round out the 80 minute disc. I did use one 4, "I'll Never Smile Again," since it was such a monster hit.

Tommy's theme song, "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You," is much better by Herb & the TRJB IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5IpfuWGCps

The Music Goes Round And Round
(If I Had) Rhythm In My Nursery Rhymes
I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
Star Dust
Marie
Dark Eyes
The Big Apple
The Lady Is A Tramp
The Dipsy Doodle
Music, Maestro, Please
Stop Beatin' Round The Mulberry Bush
Boogie Woogie
Are You Having Any Fun
I'll Be Seeing You
I'll Never Smile Again
The One I Love Belongs to Somebody Else
Another One of Them Things
Do I Worry?
Yes, Indeed
Kiss The Boys Goodbye
What Is This Thing Called Love?
Well, Git it!
Opus One
The Hucklebuck
Tea For Two Cha Cha

DianeE

Aug 3, 2021, 6:59:09 PM8/3/21
-----------
Sure, because it's the only song by him I ever liked.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 7:36:16 PM8/3/21
Never heard this before. It's laughable, but at least they weren't stupid enough to try and sing the harmony parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0f7UsvWE9c

Dean F.

Aug 3, 2021, 9:08:49 PM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 2:52:07 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> And Diane would kill me if I ever put this one on when she's in the car. She absolutely despises this act's records.
>
> JOHNNY MATHIS

My late mother, on the other hand, adored Johnny Mathis. She played his "Greatest Hits" album constantly during my childhood. And in college, I had girlfriend* who considered Mathis "the greatest make-out music ever."

*Hard to believe, I know.

md

Aug 3, 2021, 10:01:32 PM8/3/21
It's not hard to believe that it was great make-oiut music. In fact, I
remember . . .

Oh, never mind.

--md

remove "xx" from address

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2021, 10:04:19 PM8/3/21
You went to college?

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 5, 2021, 10:16:26 AM8/5/21
What label is "What's It All About" by Little Leo on?

I can't find the 45 anywhere on the internet. I have it as 1955.

Roger Ford

Aug 5, 2021, 10:20:56 AM8/5/21
On Meladee

Yes,1955

DianeE

Aug 5, 2021, 10:36:14 AM8/5/21
On 8/5/2021 10:20 AM, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 07:16:24 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> What label is "What's It All About" by Little Leo on?
>>
>> I can't find the 45 anywhere on the internet. I have it as 1955.
>
> On Meladee
>
> Yes,1955
----------
Meladee 106. The R&B Indies book says the label was only in existence
in 1954, but it also leaves Meladee 108 blank--the Blues Discography
says it was a second (and final) Little Leo release. Both recorded in 1954.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 5, 2021, 10:43:07 AM8/5/21
On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:20:56 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 07:16:24 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >What label is "What's It All About" by Little Leo on?
> >
> >I can't find the 45 anywhere on the internet. I have it as 1955.
> On Meladee
>
> Yes,1955

Do you remember where you got that date from?

Everything I can find says 1954, and it's a lower number than his other record on Meladee which also shows as 1954.

I can't find any picture of the record. I did find a scan of Meladee 101. The label is green, but I think that the label is black on the Little Leo stuff as shown on a CD with Meladee material.

https://docplayer.net/docs-images/87/95625377/images/6-7.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/release/13832772

Roger Ford

Aug 5, 2021, 3:43:54 PM8/5/21
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 07:43:06 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:20:56 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 07:16:24 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
>> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >What label is "What's It All About" by Little Leo on?
>> >
>> >I can't find the 45 anywhere on the internet. I have it as 1955.
>> On Meladee
>>
>> Yes,1955
>
>Do you remember where you got that date from?

Yes I got it from you (just checked 'twas in a 2003 post on here)

>Everything I can find says 1954, and it's a lower number than his other record on Meladee which also shows as 1954.

The only Meladee we can be really sure of is #117 "Daddy-O Rock" -
Jeff Daniels (RAB with Lee Allen on sax allegedly) that is 1956

>I can't find any picture of the record. I did find a scan of Meladee 101. The label is green, but I think that the label is black on the Little Leo stuff as shown on a CD with Meladee material.

Pretty sure both Leo's on Meladee are green label. The second one
definitely is

https://www.popsike.com/BLUES-RB-45RPM-RECORD-LITTLE-LEO-LLOYD-PRICES-LITTLE-BROTHERMELADEE-108/370630145649.html

>https://docplayer.net/docs-images/87/95625377/images/6-7.jpg
>
>https://www.discogs.com/release/13832772

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 5, 2021, 4:02:25 PM8/5/21
On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 3:43:54 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 07:43:06 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:20:56 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:

> >> On Meladee
> >>
> >> Yes,1955
> >
> >Do you remember where you got that date from?
> >
> Yes I got it from you (just checked 'twas in a 2003 post on here)
> >Everything I can find says 1954, and it's a lower number than his other record on Meladee which also shows as 1954.
> >
> The only Meladee we can be really sure of is #117 "Daddy-O Rock" -
> Jeff Daniels (RAB with Lee Allen on sax allegedly) that is 1956

Thanks. Now that I know that the label was still going at least until 1956, I am gonna stay with 1955 for "What's It All About" for now.

Here's what Terry Gordon has on the label.

http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/search.php?type=labpk&key=783

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 6, 2021, 1:33:53 PM8/6/21

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 6, 2021, 9:34:06 PM8/6/21
Another new CD! Diane won't mind this one.

ROBERT JOHNSON

29 songs. Could have fit one more, but that's all he did was 29 songs. Other than that there's just alternate versions of the same songs. I'm not a huge fan. They all sound alike, and it's just him and his guitar. Don't know if I could take all of them at once on a long ride.

Terraplane Blues
Kind Hearted Woman Blues
32-20 Blues
Last Fair Deal Gone Down
I Believe I'll Dust My Broom
Dead Shrimp Blues
Cross Road Blues
Ramblin' On My Mind
Come On In My Kitchen
They're Red Hot
Sweet Home Chicago
Walking Blues
Hell Hound On My Trail
From Four Till Late
Malted Milk
Milkcow's Calf Blues
Stones In My Passway
I'm A Steady Rollin' Man
Stop Breakin' Down Blues
Honeymoon Blues
Me And The Devil Blues
Little Queen of Spades
Preachin' Blues (Up Jumped The Devil)
Love In Vain Blues
Phonograph Blues
If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day
Traveling Riverside Blues
When You Got A Good Friend
Drunken Hearted Man

Dean F.

Aug 6, 2021, 10:47:56 PM8/6/21
On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 9:34:06 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> 29 songs. Could have fit one more, but that's all he did was 29 songs. Other than that there's just alternate versions of the same songs. I'm not a huge fan. They all sound alike, and it's just him and his guitar. Don't
> know if I could take all of them at once on a long ride.

That was always my problem with Columbia's Robert Johnson boxed set. The alternate takes just weren't that different than the released versions.

Jim Colegrove

Aug 7, 2021, 11:25:56 AM8/7/21
In the early 1970s, when I lived in Woodstock, NY, I spent hours in
solitude listening to his records and trying to emulate his guitar
style. I also did the same with Muddy's records as he was taking
Robert's style and "timing it up." Yes, many of them are similar in
that they are country blues in a repetitive form, not all of Robert's
records are the same or are the same structurally and rhythmic feel.
One glaring example is "They're Red Hot." "If I Had Possession" is
very much "Rollin' and Tumblin'."

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 7, 2021, 11:45:42 AM8/7/21
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 11:25:56 AM UTC-4, Jim Colegrove wrote:
> In the early 1970s, when I lived in Woodstock, NY, I spent hours in
> solitude listening to his records and trying to emulate his guitar
> style. I also did the same with Muddy's records as he was taking
> Robert's style and "timing it up." Yes, many of them are similar in
> that they are country blues in a repetitive form, not all of Robert's
> records are the same or are the same structurally and rhythmic feel.
> One glaring example is "They're Red Hot." "If I Had Possession" is
> very much "Rollin' and Tumblin'."

I just can't get deeply into one guy alone with an acoustic guitar. I need at least a strong acoustic bass, either harmonica or sax, and maybe piano too. I also prefer electric guitar when it comes to blues.

Jim Colegrove

Aug 7, 2021, 12:17:54 PM8/7/21
I totally understand you.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 7, 2021, 12:26:16 PM8/7/21
Seems that guitar players have always been much more enthralled with RJ than the general public.

DianeE

Aug 7, 2021, 12:43:26 PM8/7/21
-----------
Oh, I don't know about that. There's a reason that album was called
"King of the Delta Blues *Singers*." There were far better guitarists
recording in 1936-37--Bill Broonzy and Lonnie Johnson come quickly to
mind. My favorite Robert Johnson song is "Love In Vain," and it's his
voice that gets me. Another favorite is "Hellhound On My Trail," and
it's not his *skills* as a guitarist that grabs me, it's the way he
expresses *emotion* both vocally and instrumentally. He was also very
good at going into falsetto. "You break my heart [then seamlessly back
to normal range] when you call Mr. So-&-So's name."

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 7, 2021, 1:15:24 PM8/7/21
According to Clapton RJ is the best blues guitarist AND the best blues singer.

It was the British guitar players who first anointed this guy as the King.

DianeE

Aug 7, 2021, 2:11:58 PM8/7/21
------------According to Clapton vaccines are poison, and he won't play
at any venue that requires them. That's the last person I would quote
as an authority on anything.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 7, 2021, 2:41:29 PM8/7/21
Heard that!!!

Over stinkin' rated!!

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 7, 2021, 2:50:01 PM8/7/21
I'm not quoting him as an authority. I'm just showing that it's guitar players who first launched this guy as some all time great. Besides, you can be an authority on some things and not know shit about other things. That's one of the many reasons that I have no interest in what songwriters have to say about social issues.

Dean F.

Aug 7, 2021, 6:19:28 PM8/7/21
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 11:45:42 AM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> I just can't get deeply into one guy alone with an acoustic guitar. I need at least a strong acoustic bass, either harmonica or sax, and maybe piano too. I also prefer electric guitar when it comes to blues.

In general, I agree with you but for one compilation: "Hank Williams Alone With His Guitar." They're mostly demos and radio appearances made from 1949-52. I really like this CD!

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hank-williams/alone-with-his-guitar/

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 7, 2021, 8:46:46 PM8/7/21
NEW CD!

Probably not of much interest to anybody around here except for maybe Dean. I think he likes this act.

THE CLASH

Just 23 songs. Covers from 1977 through 1982.

Janie Jones
Remote Control
White Riot
Police & Thieves
Complete Control
Clash City Rockers
Julie's Been Working For The Drug Squad
I Fought The Law
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
London Calling
Brand New Cadillac
Spanish Bombs
Clampdown
The Guns of Brixton
Revolution Rock
Train In Vain
The Magnificent Seven
Hitsville U.K.
Police On My Back
This Is Radio Clash
Should I Stay Or Should I Go
Rock The Casbah

Bill B

Aug 7, 2021, 9:34:18 PM8/7/21
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 6:19:28 PM UTC-4, Dean F. wrote:
> On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 11:45:42 AM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I just can't get deeply into one guy alone with an acoustic guitar. I need at least a strong acoustic bass, either harmonica or sax, and maybe piano too. I also prefer electric guitar when it comes to blues

One of my favorite and most played CDs is Jim Croce's Greatest Hits, which I believe is just him and an acoustic guitar.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 7, 2021, 9:56:13 PM8/7/21
Afraid not.

Bad Bad Leroy Brown

Jim Croce - Guitar/Vocals
Joe Macho - Bass
Tommy West - Keyboards
Gary Chester - Drums

You Don't Mess Around With Jim LP (Operator, Time In A Bottle)

Jim Croce – guitar, rhythm guitar, lead vocals, background vocals
Maury Muehleisen – guitar, background vocals
The Briggs – background vocals
Terry Cashman – background vocals
Tommy West – bass, percussion, piano, rhythm guitar, keyboards, electric piano, background vocals
Gary Chester – drums

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 7, 2021, 11:16:32 PM8/7/21
Another CD is done!

FLEETWOOD MAC

23 songs again, and 7 of them from their monster 1977 album "Rumours."

I left off their huge UK hit "Albatross." It's a boring instrumental to me, a 4. The first 3 songs are from before either of the girls were in the group. The original version of "Black Magic Woman" kicks it off, with the 2 very good blues things. This was from when Peter Green was the leader of the group. Christie joined in 1970 after marrying John McVie, the bass player. Stevie joined in 1973 after they had recruited Buckingham to be the new guitarist and he would only join if Stevie could also join.

Black Magic Woman
Stop Messin' Around
Doctor Brown
Buddy's Song
This Is The Rock
Landslide
Over My Head
Rhiannon
Say You Love Me
Go Your Own Way
Dreams
Don't Stop
You Make Loving Fun
I Don't Want To Know
Second Hand News
Sara
Think About Me
Hold Me
Gypsy
Love In Store
Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Everywhere

Bill B

Aug 8, 2021, 10:40:40 AM8/8/21
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 9:56:13 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
I recognized the name of Terry Cashman because I have his most famous song on a Rhino compilation of "Basball's Greatest Hits."

PerWiki, "Talkin' Baseball (Willie, Mickey & The Duke)" is a 1981 song written and performed by Terry Cashman. The song describes the history of American major league baseball from the 1950s to the beginning of the 1980s. The song was originally released during the 1981 Major League Baseball strike, and was inspired by a picture of the three outfielders of the title (Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, and Duke Snider) together. (Joe DiMaggio was also in the photograph, but he was left out of the song and airbrushed from the record's picture sleeve.) The original sheet music for the song is a part of the Cooperstown Collection, and Cashman was honored at the 2011 Hall Of Fame weekend.[1] Cashman recorded many versions for various major league teams. Each version begins with a synthesizer version of the first ten notes of the song "Take me Out to the Ballgame", before the singing starts. Each version ends on a fade.

A modified version of the song entitled "Talkin' Softball", also sung by Cashman, appeared in the February 20, 1992, episode of The Simpsons ("Homer at the Bat").[2] It can also be found on the 1999 CD compilation Go Simpsonic With the Simpsons. Talkin' Baseball also closes out the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode "The Gang Beats Boggs".[3]

Cashman produced all of JIm Croce's recordings.

Direct player references
The song's refrain of "Willie, Mickey and the Duke" refers to Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, and Duke Snider, three Hall-of-Fame center fielders, all of whom played in the same city at the same time—Mays for the New York Giants, Mantle for the New York Yankees and Snider for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Other players and managers are referred to in the song, some by full name, some partial name, and some by nicknames. Those mentioned, in order, are:

Bobby Thomson
Yogi Berra
Ted Kluszewski
Roy Campanella
Stan Musial (The Man)
Bob Feller
Phil Rizzuto (The Scooter)
Sal Maglie (The Barber)
Don Newcombe (The Newc)
Casey Stengel
Henry Aaron
Jackie Robinson (One Robbie going out)
Frank Robinson or Brooks Robinson (One Robbie...coming in)
Ralph Kiner
Eddie Gaedel (Midget Gaedel)
Ted Williams (The Thumper)
Mel Parnell
George Brett
Bobby Bonds
Pete Rose
Rusty Staub
Grover Cleveland Alexander (Reference to Ronald Reagan, who played Alexander in the 1952 film The Winning Team)
Reggie Jackson
Dan Quisenberry
Rod Carew
Gaylord Perry
Tom Seaver
Steve Garvey
Mike Schmidt
Vida Blue

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 3:20:49 PM8/8/21
One huge act who I will never make a CD for is Jimi Hendrix. There are just 4 songs that I like and another 3 songs that I can even tolerate by him.

DianeE

Aug 8, 2021, 3:34:39 PM8/8/21
On 8/8/2021 3:20 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> One huge act who I will never make a CD for is Jimi Hendrix. There are just 4 songs that I like and another 3 songs that I can even tolerate by him.

-----------
Okay, how about the Ohio Players?

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 4:30:03 PM8/8/21
80 minutes? By my count there are just 7 or 8 songs that I know, and I despise "Funky Worm."

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 4:35:02 PM8/8/21
A new CD just completed.

DONNA SUMMER

I just needed 19 songs to get to 80 minutes, and I could have used fewer if I had went for some of the long versions of things. I wanted to use some of her early stuff, before she broke out with "Love To Love You Baby" in the fall of 1975, but none of them were good enough IMO. She was known as Donna Gaines on her first 3-4 singles. Her first single was "Wasserman" as the female lead in the German Production of Hair (Haare), "Aquarius" sung in German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYExQePwLQ

Love To Love You Baby
Could It Be Magic
Try Me, I Know We Can Make It
Spring Affair
I Feel Love
Rumour Has It
Last Dance
Macarthur Park
Heaven Knows
Hot Stuff
Bad Girls
Dim All The Lights
On The Radio
Walk Away
The Wanderer
Cold Love
She Works Hard For The Money
Unconditional Love
This Time I Know It's For Real

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 4:38:38 PM8/8/21
I'm trying to avoid doing Billy Joel. He's got a few things that I like, but I can't stand those schmaltzy slow records like "Honesty" and "She's Always A Woman" and "Just The Way You Are."

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 4:46:30 PM8/8/21
I think the fewest songs on any 80 minute CD that I made is Isaac Hayes with 10 songs. I used the full versions of the 4 songs on HOT BUTTERED SOUL.

Walk On By
Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic
Ojne Woman
By The Tim I Get To Phoenix
I Stand Accused
Never Can Say Goodbye
Theme From Shaft
Do Your Thing
Theme From The Men
Don't Let Go

Bill B

Aug 8, 2021, 5:50:45 PM8/8/21
On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 4:35:02 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> A new CD just completed.
>
> DONNA SUMMER
>
> I just needed 19 songs to get to 80 minutes, and I could have used fewer if I had went for some of the long versions of things.

You need to get a job.

Bill B

Aug 8, 2021, 5:52:29 PM8/8/21
On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 5:50:45 PM UTC-4, Bill B wrote:
> On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 4:35:02 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> > A new CD just completed.
> >
> > DONNA SUMMER
> >

> You need to get a job.

You could be a greeter at Walmart.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 6:10:42 PM8/8/21
I have a job. I run a mail order record business. I go to the post office 6 days a week to drop off packages. But even if I didn't, what's wrong with making up CDs. You are inferring that it's a waste of time.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 6:15:46 PM8/8/21
Just knocked out another CD.

SONNY & CHER

I would have used one or two of Sonny's Specialty (or other labels) early records, but they were all shit. I could not deal either with any of Cher's later hits. "Take Me Home" is the kind of disco that I can't stand, and "If I Could Turn Back Time" gets more and more obnoxious as it goes along. "Just Like Jesse James" blowed, and I didn't even bother to listen to what this "Believe" thing sounds like. Just the fact that it was a number one record in late 1998 and early 1999 indicates that it must suck.

Love Is Strange
Baby Don't Go
All I Really Want To Do
I Got You Babe
It's Gonna Rain
Then He Kissed Me
The Revolution Kind
Laugh At Me
Just You
But You're Mine
What Now My Love
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Have I Stayed Too Long
Little Man
Living For You
The Beat Goes On
Plastic Man
It's The Little Things
You Better Sit Down Kids
Gypsies, Tramps And Thieves
All I Ever Need Is You
The Way of Love
A Cowboy's Work Is Never Done
When You Say Love
Half-Breed

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 6:23:49 PM8/8/21

Bill B

Aug 8, 2021, 6:28:29 PM8/8/21
On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 6:10:42 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 5:52:29 PM UTC-4, bb...@ wrote:

> > > You need to get a job.
> > You could be a greeter at Walmart.
> I have a job. I run a mail order record business. I go to the post office 6 days a week to drop off packages. But even if I didn't, what's wrong with making up CDs. You are inferring that it's a waste of time.

No, I'm stating that you seem obsessed.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 8, 2021, 6:30:22 PM8/8/21

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 8:35:29 PM8/8/21
That's how I get things done. For example, you need to be relentless to be able to have tens of thousands of MP3s all tagged and organized, and to get over 50,000 items listed for sale on Discogs.

Dean F.

Aug 8, 2021, 10:45:42 PM8/8/21
On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 6:10:42 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> You are inferring that it's a waste of time.

No, he's *implying* that it's a waste of time. You're inferring that's what he meant.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 11:18:54 PM8/8/21
Got it.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2021, 11:39:31 PM8/8/21
I squoze out on more CD for the day.

SQUEEZE

Not sure if even Dean would care about this one. Certainly no one else around here would. I don't think Diane knows anything by them. They were much bigger in the UK than over here. One of my favorite new wave acts.

Take Me I'm Yours
Bang Bang
Goodbye Girl
Cool For Cats
Up The Junction
Slap & Tickle
Wrong Way
Christmas Day
Another Nail In My Heart
If I Didn't Love You
Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)
Farfisa Beat
Is That Love
Tempted
Messed Around
Labelled With Love
I've Returned
Black Coffee In Bed
Annie Get Your Gun
Hourglass
853-5937
Squabs On Forty Fab

Dean F.

Aug 9, 2021, 1:21:27 AM8/9/21
On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 11:39:31 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> SQUEEZE
>
> Not sure if even Dean would care about this one.

I only know them for "Tempted," which I never liked.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 9, 2021, 1:32:01 AM8/9/21
Wow!

You don't know "Cool For Cats" or "Pulling Mussels (From A Shell)?" They were huge new wave records when you were in fucking high school.

DianeE

Aug 9, 2021, 7:20:23 AM8/9/21
On 8/8/2021 11:39 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> I squoze out on more CD for the day.
>
> SQUEEZE
>
> Not sure if even Dean would care about this one. Certainly no one else around here would. I don't think Diane knows anything by them. They were much bigger in the UK than over here. One of my favorite new wave acts.
---------
You are right, I never heard of them. Or maybe I heard of them but
forgot. I hated "new wave" music, it seemed to have no melody and no soul.
Who's next, Van Halen? (We're already wildly off topic here.) Have you
done Z.Z. Hill?

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 9, 2021, 8:07:58 AM8/9/21
On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 7:20:23 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
> On 8/8/2021 11:39 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> > I squoze out on more CD for the day.
> >
> > SQUEEZE
> >
> > Not sure if even Dean would care about this one. Certainly no one else around here would. I don't think Diane knows anything by them. They were much bigger in the UK than over here. One of my favorite new wave acts.
> ---------
> You are right, I never heard of them. Or maybe I heard of them but
> forgot. I hated "new wave" music, it seemed to have no melody and no soul.

You like "Whip It," that's new wave.

> Who's next, Van Halen? (We're already wildly off topic here.) Have you
> done Z.Z. Hill?

There's about five ZZ Hill songs that I like.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 9, 2021, 8:27:32 AM8/9/21
"Tempted" is a tremendous tune due solely to Paul Carrack's singer-for-hire services!!

As for the reat, I'm more tempted to squeeze a cactus.

Se if you can distill an hour and twenty minutes out of:

Van Morrison
Cat Stevens
Gordon Lightfoot
Nilsson
Dionne Warwick
The Carpenters

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 9, 2021, 8:50:40 AM8/9/21
I've done Van and Dionne already. The rest of these fall well short of 80 minutes worth for me. I'm okay with almost all of the Carpenters big hits, but that only gets us to like 45 minutes. Maybe at some point I'll start doing acts that I like that will only take up an hour or less, like Gary US Bonds and Major Lance and Grand Funk and Peter, Paul & Mary.

VAN MORRISON
Baby, Please Don't Go
Gloria
Here Comes The Night
I'm Gonna Dress In Black
Mystic Eyes
Could You Would You
I Can Only Give You Everything
Bad Or Good
Hey Girl
Brown Eyed Girl
Astral Weeks
Young Lovers Do
Moondance
Crazy Love
Caravan
Into The Mystic
Come Running
Glad Tidings
Domino
Blue Money
Wild Night
Tupelo Honey
Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile)

DIONNE WARWICK
Don't Make Me Over
This Empty Place
Wishin' And Hopin'
Make It Easy On Yourself
Anyone Who Had A Heart
Walk On By
You'll Never Get To Heaven
A House Is Not A Home
Reach Out For Me
They Long To Be Close To You
Are You There (With Another Girl)
Message To Michael
Trains And Boats And Planes
Alfie
What The World Needs Now Is Love
Always Something There To Remind Me
I Say A Little Prayer
Do You Know The Way To San Jose?
Promises, Promises
This Girl's In Love With You
Odds And Ends
I'll Never Fall In Love Again
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Paper Mache
Then Came You

Sorry, no "Valley of The Dolls," never could tolerate it.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 9, 2021, 9:56:54 AM8/9/21
Damn good lists.

Carry on.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 9, 2021, 2:02:00 PM8/9/21
You lucky people get to check out my latest CD.

LUCKY MILLINDER

27 songs this time. Various vocalists including Wynonie Harris, Annisteen Allen and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. The last track is by Cathy Ryan and the Admirals with Lucky and his band.

Ride, Red, Ride
Slide, Mr. Trombone
Rock! Daniel
Big Fat Mama
Trouble In Mind
Shout, Sister, Shout
I Want A Tall Skinny Papa
When The Lights Go On Again (All Over The World)
That's All
Apollo Jump
Are You Ready?
Rock Me
Savoy
Sweet Slumber
Hurry, Hurry
Who Threw The Whiskey In The Well?
Shorty's Got To Go
There's Good Blues Tonight
Chittlin' Switch
D'Natural Blues
Let It Roll
Let It Roll Again
Silent George
Oh Babe!
Teardrops From My Eyes
Ram-Bunk-Shush
It's A Sad Sad Feeling

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 9, 2021, 10:11:41 PM8/9/21
Last CD for today!

THE RAMONES

Diane actually likes these guys; at least most of the songs by them that she knows. They had a load of 2 minute songs like the old days, so there's 31 songs on this disc. I included most of the oldies that they did versions of, but not "Surfin' Bird." There's "Let's Dance" (Montez), "California Sun," "Do You Wanna Dance," "Needles And Pins" and "Little Bit O' Soul."

Blitzkrieg Bop
Beat On The Brat
Judy Is A Punk
I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
Let's Dance
I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You
Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment
Carbona Not Glue
Suzy Is A Headbanger
Pinhead
Swallow My Pride
California Sun
Cretin Hop
Rockaway Beach
Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
Teenage Lobotomy
Do You Wanna Dance
Needles And Pins
I Wanna Be Sedated
Rock & Roll High School
Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio
Let's Go
We Want The Airwaves
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Little Bit O' Soul
Howling At The Moon (Sha-La-La)
Bonzo Goes To Bitburg
Pet Sematary
Poison Heart
I Don't Want To Grow up

Dean F.

Aug 9, 2021, 10:50:35 PM8/9/21
On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 1:32:01 AM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> You don't know "Cool For Cats" or "Pulling Mussels (From A Shell)?" They were huge new wave records when you were in fucking high school.

New Wave was much easier to hear in New York City than in Manchester, CT. My cable company didn't even picked up MTV until late 1982.

Dean F.

Aug 9, 2021, 10:52:28 PM8/9/21
On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 8:50:40 AM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> DIONNE WARWICK

> Sorry, no "Valley of The Dolls," never could tolerate it.

Couldn't agree more! That goddamned thing is turgid.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 9, 2021, 11:12:43 PM8/9/21
I didn't realize that you were a farmer.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 10, 2021, 5:29:38 PM8/10/21
Here you go, Denny.

THE CARPENTERS

This was easier than I thought it would be because the songs were longer than I was expecting. Only needed 23 songs to fill up the CD. The songs averaged almost 3:30 apiece. So it was all of their best known hits and just a few of their lesser known later hits.

Ticket To Ride
(They Long To Be) Close To You
We've Only Just Begun
Merry Christmas Darling
For All We Know
Rainy Days And Mondays
Superstar
Bless The Beasts And Children
Hurting Each Other
Goodbye To Love
It's Going To Take Some Time
Sing
Yesterday Once More
Top of The World
I Won't Last A Day Without You
Please Mr. Postman
Only Yesterday
Solitaire
There's A Kind of Hush (All Over The World)
I Need To Be In Love
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
Touch Me When We're Dancing

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 10, 2021, 5:48:46 PM8/10/21
Thank you, sah!!

My favorite female singer of all time!!

Tragic demise!

DianeE

Aug 10, 2021, 7:51:57 PM8/10/21
On 8/8/2021 4:35 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> A new CD just completed.
>
> DONNA SUMMER
She was known as Donna Gaines on her first 3-4 singles. Her first single
was "Wasserman" as the female lead in the German Production of Hair
(Haare), "Aquarius" sung in German.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYExQePwLQ

-------------
I was surprised to realize that the show version doesn't include "Let
The Sunshine In." I must have known that at one time, but I guess the
5th Dimension hit is so ingrained in my brain that I forgot it.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 10, 2021, 9:56:37 PM8/10/21
The recording was led by veteran American producer and engineer Bones Howe, who had previously worked with the 5th Dimension as well as the Mamas & the Papas and Elvis Presley. As Howe tells it, the recording can be traced to an incident in which 5th Dimension lead singer Billy Davis Jr. left his wallet in a New York City cab; the man who found the wallet was involved in the production of Hair and invited the group to see the show: "After they'd seen it I received a phone call in which they were all talking over one another, saying 'We've got to cut this song "Aquarius". It's the best thing ever.'" Howe was skeptical ("This isn't a complete song. It's an introduction."), but after seeing the show on stage got the idea to create a medley with another musical moment from the show, a few bars from the song "The Flesh Failures" that consist of the repeated words "let the sunshine in." Although the two song fragments are in different keys and tempos, Howe resolved to "jam them together like two trains."

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 10, 2021, 10:02:06 PM8/10/21
Wrapped up another CD tonight.

BOB SEGER

Little Bobby Roman was a huge Bob Seger fan in his high school days. I did not care much for most of his later hits, the only one I used here was "Like A Rock." I did not even use his 2 biggest charting singles, "Shame On The Moon" and "Shakedown."

My favorite is "The Fire Down Below."

Persecution Smith
Heavy Music (part 1)
Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
Ivory
Lucifer
Get Out of Denver
Katmandu
Night Moves
Sunspot Baby
Mainstreet
Rock And Roll Never Forgets
The Fire Down Below
Old Time Rock And Roll
Fire Lake
Against The Wind
Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight
The Horizontal Bop
Her Strut
Tryin' To Live My Life Without You
Feel Like A Number
Like A Rock

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 10, 2021, 10:03:35 PM8/10/21
Anybody interested in this book that I am selling?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194238323307

If you start eating these dishes every day you'll likely be dead in 6 months.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 11, 2021, 11:31:23 PM8/11/21
Eureka!

There's another new CD tonight.

ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA

Only 20 songs needed to fill up the 80 minutes. And I left off 3 or 4 big hits that I don't like, including that horrid "Xanadu" that they did with ONJ. Don't worry, I used the 4 minute single version of the first song....not the 8 minute LP version. My favorite is "Do Ya," it's a low 9.

Roll Over Beethoven
Showdown
Can't Get It Out of My Head
Evil Woman
Livin' Thing
Do Ya
Telephone Line
Turn To Stone
Sweet Talkin' Woman
Mr. Blue Sky
Shine A Little Love
Don't Bring Me Down
Confusion
Last Train To London
I'm Alive
All Over The World
Hold On Tight
Twilight
Rock 'N' Roll Is King
Calling America

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 12, 2021, 7:18:08 PM8/12/21
Worst "Roll Over Beethoven" EVER!!!!

Tell Tchaikovsky that Jeff Lynne fucked this one up!!

Otherwise, good group and nice list, baby!!

Dean F.

Aug 12, 2021, 10:05:22 PM8/12/21
On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 7:18:08 PM UTC-4, Dennis C from Tennessee wrote:

> Worst "Roll Over Beethoven" EVER!!!!
>
> Tell Tchaikovsky that Jeff Lynne fucked this one up!!

We're in full agreement here, Dennis. Chuck Berry wrote that song as a refutation of classical music, and what does ELO do? They include classical riffs in their version! A dumbass move, to be sure.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 12, 2021, 10:29:26 PM8/12/21
Yeah, real dumbass to the tune of a few million dollars they made from it when it was a top 10 hit in a bunch of different countries.

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 13, 2021, 11:41:40 PM8/13/21
Found another CD to make tonight.

GLEN CAMPBELL

He's a got 2 or 3 records that I love, but also a lot of junk among his hits. This is even on topic as the first 2 songs are both sides of a 1958 single. "My World Fell Down" is a hit record by Sagittarius that Glen sings lead on. The band included Bruce Johnston, Terry Melcher, Kurt Boettcher and Gary Usher, along with Glen. The last song on the disc was a big country chart hit in 1987.

I've Got To Win
You You You
Turn Around, Look At Me
Kentucky Means Paradise
Guess I'm Dumb
Universal Soldier
My World Fell Down
Gentle On My Mind
By The Time I Get To Phoenix
Sittin' On The Dock of The Bay
Ann
Dreams of The Everyday Housewife
Wichita Lineman
Galveston
True Grit
Try A Little Kindness
Where's The Playground Susie
Everything A Man Could Ever Be
It's Only Make Believe
Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)
Manhattan Kansas
Houston I'm Comin' To See You
Bonaparte's Retreat
Rhinestone Cowboy
Country Boy (You Got Your Feet In L.A.)
See You On Sunday
Southern Nights
Sunflower
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle

DianeE

Aug 14, 2021, 5:24:27 PM8/14/21
On 8/13/2021 11:41 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Found another CD to make tonight.
>
> GLEN CAMPBELL
>
> He's a got 2 or 3 records that I love, but also a lot of junk among his hits.
-------------
I love "Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston," but there are a lot of his
hits that I absolutely detest. Chief among them "Where's The Playground
Susie" and "Dreams Of The Everyday Housewife." You could have left off
these hokey records and included some of his studio work instead. Just
saying, he was a great and highly acclaimed guitarist.

I'm glad to seize the opportunity to remind everyone of the bizarre fact
that the original version of "Galveston" is by DON "Tiny Bubbles" HO!!!

Sav...@aol.com

Aug 14, 2021, 5:54:01 PM8/14/21
On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 5:24:27 PM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
> On 8/13/2021 11:41 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> > Found another CD to make tonight.
> >
> > GLEN CAMPBELL
> >
> > He's a got 2 or 3 records that I love, but also a lot of junk among his hits.
> -------------
> I love "Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston,"

Those two and "Gentle On My Mind."

Dean F.

Aug 15, 2021, 3:41:46 AM8/15/21
On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 5:24:27 PM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:

> I love "Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston,"

"Galveston" is the first song I can remember hearing on the radio. I was three years old at the time.

Roger Ford

Aug 15, 2021, 4:29:28 AM8/15/21
Like all three plus ""By The Time I Get To Phoenix" is one of his very
best

ROGER FORD

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 15, 2021, 7:53:49 AM8/15/21
I always happened to love this song!

This original outlaw is still performing mainly around the Nashville area!!

https://youtu.be/ekHHklwAk-8