LET'S ....PLAY....JEOPARDY! - THURSDAY - 9-22-22

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 12:04:53 AM9/22/22
The category is 1950s Music

1950s Music for $100. And the answer is!

It's the number of songs that stayed at number one on the Billboard R&B sales chart for 10 or more weeks during the 1950s.

1950s Music for $200. And the answer is!

He played the drums on Muddy Waters' recordings of "She Moves Me" and "Still A Fool?"

1950s Music for $300. And the answer is!

In 1956 there were 3 versions of "Allegheny Moon" that were released as singles in the USA. Patti Page had the big hit, and the Lennon Sisters did it too. This artist had the third version.

1950s Music for $400. And the answer is!

This country music performer became interested in music at the age of 9 while he was recovering from being hit by a school bus.

1950s Music for $500. And the answer is!

This 1950s artist said that the highlight of his career was performing for Pope John Paul II in 1984, who requested that he continue playing after his initial song.

Roger Ford

Sep 22, 2022, 12:27:29 AM9/22/22
On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>The category is 1950s Music
>

>1950s Music for $100. And the answer is!
>
>It's the number of songs that stayed at number one on the Billboard R&B sales chart for 10 or more weeks during the 1950s.

What is 8 ?

>1950s Music for $200. And the answer is!
>
>He played the drums on Muddy Waters' recordings of "She Moves Me" and "Still A Fool?"

Who is Elga Edmonds?

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

Roger Ford

Sep 22, 2022, 12:31:54 AM9/22/22
wrote:

>1950s Music for $300. And the answer is!
>
>In 1956 there were 3 versions of "Allegheny Moon" that were released as singles in the USA. Patti Page had the big hit, and the Lennon Sisters did it too. This artist had the third version.

Who is Billy Regis & His Orchestra?

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 12:42:10 AM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 12:31:54 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
> >1950s Music for $300. And the answer is!
> >
> >In 1956 there were 3 versions of "Allegheny Moon" that were released as singles in the USA. Patti Page had the big hit, and the Lennon Sisters did it too. This artist had the third version.
> >
> Who is Billy Regis & His Orchestra?

CORRECT, any way to hear it?

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 12:42:35 AM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 12:27:29 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
> >The category is 1950s Music
> >

> >1950s Music for $100. And the answer is!
> >
> >It's the number of songs that stayed at number one on the Billboard R&B sales chart for 10 or more weeks during the 1950s.
> >
> What is 8 ?
> >
> >1950s Music for $200. And the answer is!
> >
> >He played the drums on Muddy Waters' recordings of "She Moves Me" and "Still A Fool?"
> >
> Who is Elga Edmonds?

BOTH WRONG

Roger Ford

Sep 22, 2022, 1:03:02 AM9/22/22
On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:42:08 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 12:31:54 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
>> wrote:
>> >1950s Music for $300. And the answer is!
>> >
>> >In 1956 there were 3 versions of "Allegheny Moon" that were released as singles in the USA. Patti Page had the big hit, and the Lennon Sisters did it too. This artist had the third version.
>> >
>> Who is Billy Regis & His Orchestra?
>
>CORRECT, any way to hear it?

Not on YT here either

I make it 4 singles (at least) in 1956 on "Allagheny Moon" in USA
since Grady Martin had a version on Decca too

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 1:24:36 AM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 1:03:02 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:42:08 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 12:31:54 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:

> >> Who is Billy Regis & His Orchestra?
> >
> >CORRECT, any way to hear it?
> Not on YT here either
>
> I make it 4 singles (at least) in 1956 on "Allagheny Moon" in USA
> since Grady Martin had a version on Decca too

Okay. Wasn't mentioned in Cash Box in the week I looked at.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 1:25:21 AM9/22/22

Dean F.

Sep 22, 2022, 1:34:59 AM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 12:04:53 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> He played the drums on Muddy Waters' recordings of "She Moves Me" and "Still A Fool?"

Who is Leonard Chess?

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 1:38:47 AM9/22/22
CORRECT.

The drummer that day was not getting it right on "She Moves Me" so they sent him home and Leonard got back there and played. How did they miss showing that scene in "Cadillac Records?" They were too busy making shit up that never actually happened.

Roger Ford

Sep 22, 2022, 1:39:02 AM9/22/22
wrote:

>The category is 1950s Music
>

>1950s Music for $100. And the answer is!
>
>It's the number of songs that stayed at number one on the Billboard R&B sales chart for 10 or more weeks during the 1950s.

What is 9?

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 1:42:08 AM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 1:39:02 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
> >The category is 1950s Music
> >

> >1950s Music for $100. And the answer is!
> >
> >It's the number of songs that stayed at number one on the Billboard R&B sales chart for 10 or more weeks during the 1950s.
> >
> What is 9?

CORRECT

Pink Champagne
Teardrops From My Eyes
Black Night
Sixty Minute Man
Money Honey
Ain't It A Shame
The Great Pretender
Honky Tonk
Searchin'

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 1:43:43 AM9/22/22
I must be doing something right as again the 3 lowest value ones have got correct questions already. That leaves these two.

DianeE

Sep 22, 2022, 6:53:06 AM9/22/22
---------
The Blues Discography says it was Elga Edmonds. What do you have that
says different?

DianeE

Sep 22, 2022, 9:03:49 AM9/22/22
--------
Okay, now that it's light out I checked again. It says Len Chess played
the bass drum on "She Moves Me," but only that one track.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 9:39:11 AM9/22/22
I think he used that phony name as a goof.

DianeE

Sep 22, 2022, 10:49:37 AM9/22/22
-------------
No goof, he was a real person, lived and died in Chicago (1909-1966),
served in the Army in World War II.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/147042493/elga-speed-edmonds

Dean F.

Sep 22, 2022, 12:02:26 PM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 6:53:06 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:

> The Blues Discography says it was Elga Edmonds. What do you have that
> says different?

I got the right answer from the session notes of the CD, "Muddy Waters: His Best, 1947-1955."

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 5:42:21 PM9/22/22
EXTRA CLUES

1950s Music for $400. And the answer is!

This country music performer became interested in music at the age of 9 while he was recovering from being hit by a school bus.

EXTRA CLUE - His best known record came in 1960.

1950s Music for $500. And the answer is!

This 1950s artist said that the highlight of his career was performing for Pope John Paul II in 1984, who requested that he continue playing after his initial song.

EXTRA CLUE - Pop John Paul II was Polish.

Dean F.

Sep 22, 2022, 5:44:42 PM9/22/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 5:42:21 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> This country music performer became interested in music at the age of 9 while he was recovering from being hit by a school bus.
> EXTRA CLUE - His best known record came in 1960.

Who is Jim Reeves?

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 6:27:55 PM9/22/22
NOPE. And "He'll Have To Go" came out in 1959. It entered to BB Pop chart on 12-28-59.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 9:22:04 PM9/22/22
The two that nobody got today:

EXTRA CLUES

1950s Music for $400. And the answer is!

This country music performer became interested in music at the age of 9 while he was recovering from being hit by a school bus.

EXTRA CLUE - His best known record came in 1960.

Who is Hank Locklin?

1950s Music for $500. And the answer is!

This 1950s artist said that the highlight of his career was performing for Pope John Paul II in 1984, who requested that he continue playing after his initial song.

EXTRA CLUE - Pop John Paul II was Polish.

Who is Lil' Wally?

DianeE

Sep 22, 2022, 11:47:29 PM9/22/22
------------
Who *is* Lil' Wally?

Bruce

Sep 22, 2022, 11:52:55 PM9/22/22
He was mentioned in this group recently. Huge polka star in the 50s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Jagiello

Roger Ford

Sep 23, 2022, 1:00:26 AM9/23/22
You obviously never spent eternities in the 60's and 70's scouring
through tons and tons of dusty 45's in the basements of old American
record stores and warehouses

DianeE

Sep 23, 2022, 6:45:26 AM9/23/22
On 9/23/2022 1:00 AM, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 23:47:28 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/22/2022 9:22 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> The two that nobody got today:
>>>
>>> EXTRA CLUES
>>>
>>> 1950s Music for $400. And the answer is!
>>>
>>> This country music performer became interested in music at the age of 9 while he was recovering from being hit by a school bus.
>>>
>>> EXTRA CLUE - His best known record came in 1960.
>>>
>>> Who is Hank Locklin?
>>>

>>> 1950s Music for $500. And the answer is!
>>>
>>> This 1950s artist said that the highlight of his career was performing for Pope John Paul II in 1984, who requested that he continue playing after his initial song.
>>>
>>> EXTRA CLUE - Pop John Paul II was Polish.
>>>
>>> Who is Lil' Wally?

>> Who *is* Lil' Wally?
>
> You obviously never spent eternities in the 60's and 70's scouring
> through tons and tons of dusty 45's in the basements of old American
> record stores and warehouses
---------
No, I was too busy abusing substances and having unsafe sex with
multiple partners. I'm glad I'm alive today, and I'm glad guys like you
were finding the records that otherwise would be unknown or forgotten.