9-25-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - MARCH 31, 1962

Bruce

Sep 25, 2022, 9:32:34 AM9/25/22
MARCH 31, 1962

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/60s/1962/CB-1962-03-31.pdf

PICK OF THE WEEK

GENE PITNEY (Musicor 1020)

“(THE MAN WHO SHOT) LIBERTY VALANCE” (2:49) [Famous ASCAP—Bacharach, David]
Pitney, who just scored big with the pic title tune from “Town Without Pity,” can duplicate that success with this one inspired by the up-coming pic, “(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance.” It’s a dramatic western tale that Pitney and the ork-chorus gallop over in top caliber style. Looks like a smasheroo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDN4L7cAQf0

“TAKE IT LIKE A MAN” (2:20) [Trio BMI—Leiber, Stoller]
“Take It Like A Man” is a pulsating, beat-ballad opus with loads of hit potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcY_yXpkj88

TIMI YURO (Liberty 55432)

“COUNT EVERYTHING” (2:40) [Eden BMI—Otis, Hendricks]
“I KNOW (I LOVE YOU)” (2:45) [Eden BMI—Liggieri, Eden]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmBtwazYW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ_wAxlbQP0

Timi Yuro’s hit collection should soon be adding this pair of newcomers. Titled “Count Everything” and “I Know (I Love You),” two Belford C. Hendricks-backed affairs that the lark waxes with heartfelt emotion. Former’s a teen beat cha cha stand while the latter’s from the slow, dramatic
beat-ballad dept. Top notch duo.

THE KINGSTON TRIO (Capitol 4740)

“JANE, JANE, JANE” (2:50) [Vivid—Wilson]
“Jane, Jane, Jane” is a cinch to follow the Kingston Trio’s “Where Have All The Flowers Gone” up the hit road. It’s the artists’ latest Capitol folk-fare and it’s a touching, quick moving opus that they deliver with loads of feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg95rokcuEg

“SCOTCH AND SODA” (2:30) [Beechwood BMI—Guard]
“Scotch And Soda” takes an easy-goin’ bluesy route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPfvrYyi66I

DOROTHY BERRY (Little Star 111)

(B+) “THE GIRL WHO STOPPED THE DUKE OF EARL” (2:29) [Hidle & Pam BMI—Barrett]
Add to the rash of replies on the “Duke of Earl” smash a pro-sounding portion from the lark and her combo-gal chorus support. Deck’s catchy, R&B inclined way could mean something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414oQETdPkE

(B) “I’M DETERMINED (2:29) [Hidle & Pam BMI—Berry]
Affable blues-beat to this semi-belt statement from the performer.

THE TEMPLES (Ad Lib 0202)

(B+) “HAVA NAGILA TWIST” (1:52) [Madchen BMI—]
The familiar ditty is done with a polished twist beat by the musicians. Date stems from an LP called “Bei Mir Twist Du Schoen.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52V4JEWg3pU

(B) “TZENA TZENA” (1:59) [Mills ASCAP—]
More from the album.

JIMMIE McCRACKLIN (Kent 369)

(B+) “I GOT EYES FOR YOU”(2:10) [Modern BMI —McCracklin]
Here’s a top-drawer outing on Kent for the vet blues belter in the tradition-oriented r&b tradition. Some pulsating harmonica work on the side adds an effective touch to the professional McCracklin delivery. Wax could pull plenty of loot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyuJwJn2Xno

(B+) “I’M GONNA TELL YOUR MOTHER” (2:35) [ModernBMI—McCracklin]
This one’s another sales-laden side for McCracklin. This time the self-penned etching has a lively geared-for-dancing beat. Jockeys should really dig the wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBZukXcWprs

THE ROCKY FELLERS (Parkway 836)

(B-b) “LONG TALL SALLY” (2:09) [Venice BMI—Johnson, Pen- niman, Blackwell]
Old Little Richard hit gets a good stomp going-over from the vocalists and their combo backdrop. Fine new teen life for the ditty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCKYU3TIH50

(B) “SOUTH PACIFIC TWIST” (2:22) [Kalmann ASCAP Mann, Appel]
Twistin’ novelty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo0wJp7Fjk8

CHICK CARBO (Instant 3245)

(B+) “IN THE NIGHT” (2:20) [Kel BMI—Neville]
Chick Carbo’s powerful wide-range voice is perfectly showcased on this shuffle- beat, slow-paced opus. The chanter’s sincere delivery coupled with a first- class lyric should help this listenable wax pull some coin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyGXRqCm5Mc

(B+) “RUN HENRY” (2:14) [Kel BMI—Neville]
Here the songster belts out a very nice rockin’ affair with a catchy folk-flavored lyric about John Henry. Tune has enough potential to make some noise in the pop dept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzZUA-uwdkY

PICK OF THE WEEK

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS (Fury 1064)

“OPERATOR” (2:15) [Sylvia BMI—Elgin, Rogers, Jones]
Gladys Knight & the Pips, who are still cashing in with their big pop r&b outing, “Letter Full Of Tears,” can do more of the same with this new Fury session. Side, tabbed “Operator,” is a heartfelt rock-a-cha-cha opus that the artists put across with telling effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-tsUVlxec

“I’LL TRUST IN YOU” (2:44) [Fast BMI—Robinson, Williams, Dunn]
The beat-ballad-with strings coupler, “I’ll Trust In You,” also has a healthy chart outlook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByedGd-Ae_M

CHUCK JACKSON (Wand 122)

“ANY DAY NOW” (3:20) [Plan Two ASCAP—Bacharach, Hilliard]
Chances are Chuck Jackson will make another trip to hit territory aboard his latest Wand slice. Side to watch is “Any Day Now (My Wild Beautiful Bird),” a captivating romancer that Chuck spins in emotion-packed fashion. Stellar cha cha beat, choral-ork arrangement by Bert Keyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgE991VDwM

“THE PROPHET” (3:28) [Lloyd & Logan—Dixon, McCoy]
“The Prophet” makes for a lovely, soft cha cha-ballad companion piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcv8MwRtffw

THE CORSAIRS & JAY “BIRD” UZZELL (Chess 1818)

“I’LL TAKE YOU HOME” (2:30) [Sunflower, Annie, Earl ASCAP—Hugo, Luigi, Weiss]
The Corsairs, with Jay “Bird” Uzzell in the featured slot once again, come thru with a potent follow-up to their current Chess-distributed Tuff slice, “Smokey Places.” It’s a haunting, slow cha cha beat romancer, tabbed “I’ll Take You Home,” that sports an attention-getting percussive bits. The undercut’s a dandy from the pounding rock-a-cha-cha school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-3Sd-51SU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p2TzR1wBxI

LINDA SCOTT (Canadian-American 133)

“COUNT EVERY STAR” (2:32) [George Paxton ASCAP—Gallop]
“LAND OF STARS” (2:01) [Tybee BMI—Weiss, Harmon]

The thrush can make a chart stand with either end, or both, of this pairing cut during her hit stay with the diskery. It’s an oldie-newie combination that finds Miss Scott in top ballad form. The evergreen, “Count Every Star,” takes a beat-ballad route while the newcomer, “Land Of Stars,” is from the lilting-ballad category. Two lovely. Hutch Davie string-filled showcases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdGc7RXaFY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7quFJrJCM

B. B. KING (ABC-Paramount 10316)

“I’M GONNA SIT IN TILL YOU GIVE IN” (2:12) [Lion BMI—Clark, King]
Vet blues performer B. B. King, who’s currently making territorial r&b pop noise with his Kent waxing of “Gonna Miss You Around Here,” can have a real sales-sizzler with his ABC bow, “I’m Gonna Sit In Till You Give In.” It’s a potent rock-a-twist’er that makes romantic use of today’s news. Solid support from Maxwell Davis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqIUVbPG9Z4

“YOU ASK ME” (2:08) [Beale St. BMI—Rae, Knight, Davis, King]
Backing’s a winning beat-ballad hip-swinger that also rates attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYCZqMpW0RM

PICK OF THE WEEK - Newcomers

In an effort to call D.J. attention to Pick records by “Newcomers” (artists never before on the Top 100) the editorial staff of Cash Box will list such records under this special heading.

THE VOLUMES (Chex 1002)

“I LOVE YOU” (2:30) [Chriss BMI—Ewing, Newson]
The red-hot Chex master, out of Detroit, has been picked up for national distribution by the Jay-Gee outfit. IVs a quick-beat delighter, dubbed “I I Love You,” that could prove to be the ‘stepping stone’ for the Volumes. There's ultra-commercial gimmicks galore here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsFoVJJPBY

"DREAMS” (2:15) [Chriss BMI—Ewing, Newson]
Group switches to a I beat-ballad pace for the “Dreams” stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5qxcxuIoRg

CORNELL BLAKELY (Rich 1747)

(B+) “YOU BROKE MY HEART”(2:35) [Jobete BMI—Holland,Bateman, Gorman]
Vocalist hands-in a strong performance on the rhythm & blues plaintive. Gal chorus and combo provide a good, busy-beat backdrop. The Mercury label handles the diskery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1GtXXzC70s

(B) “DON’T DO IT” (2:09) [Jobete BMI — Stevenson]
Male songsters back the artist in this upbeat pose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1GtXXzC70s

HARVEY (Tri-Phi 1010)

(B+) “SHE LOVES ME SO” (2:25) [Birdsong BMI — Fuqua, Gordy]
Songster, who formerly warbled for The Moonglows and The Spinners, nicely conveys the sentiments of the soft affectionate. He also employs a good-sounding sans-lyric bit. Might get around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaAtiXRgZaA

(B) “WHISTLING ABOUT YOU” (2:36) [Fuqua BMI—Kanar, Gave]
Bouncy, good-natured blues styled go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-gmaWm79CY

BUDDY ACE (Duke 346)

(B+) “WHAT CAN I DO” (2:18)[Don BMI—Brown, Malone]Looks like Buddy Ace could have a fast click with this hard-driving danceable r&b opus. Tune has an infectious beat and a top-flight lyric. Spinners should take to this one quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAKVND8aLE

(B) “SCREAMING PLEASE”(2:25) [Don BMI — Brown, Malone]
Here the songster reads a fine blues ballad with an enjoyable folk-styled lyric. Good wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Z8K5Vdu-s

THE LIEBER-STOLLER ORCH. (United Artists 441)

(B+) “CAFE EXPRESSO” (2:12)[Trio BMI—Leiber, Stoller]
In their bow as artists for the diskery, the indie producing team comes up with a pro import-sounding display of a catchy tune. Likely to get important station airtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbfqvjvbBs

(B+) “BLUE BAION” (2:06) [Trio BMI — Gonzaga, Teixeira]
More continental-flavored charm here.

JOHNNY & THE HURRICANES (Bigtop 3103)

(B+) “SALVATION” (2:12) [Vicki BMI — King, Mack, Morris]
Artists display their winning instrumental ways as they up-date the famed religious piece, “Bringing In The Sheaves,” for today’s teen market. It’s an infectious rock-a-cha-cha like performance that rates close attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59qZCrJ7_eA

(B) “MISERLOU” (2:14) [Colonial BMI—Tauber, Wise, Rubanis, Leeds]
There’s lots of twist-ability to this re-fitting of the Jan August classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7eyS3wt1cE

THE HALOS (Trans-Atlas 690)

(B+) “VILLAGE OF LOVE” (1:56) [Trianon BMI — Brown, Mayer]
The Halos, who clicked a short-while-back with “Nag,” come thru with a fabulous cover of UA’s Nathaniel Mayer - Fortune master. Solid stomp-a-twist performance that could be a big winner in the final sales sweepstakes.

(B) “MEAN OLD WORLD” (2:26) [Selma BMI — Crier]
Backing’s a fetching rock-a-shuffle entry.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6KjQjIeHXI

THE RIVINGTONS (Liberty 55427)

(B+) “PAPA - OOM - MOW - MOW” (2:25) [Beechwood BMI —Frazier, White, Wilson, Jr., Harris]
As the title indicates, this is a whacky, chant-featured outing by the blues-oriented vocalists. This uninhibited novelty affair could break out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnW2WNHiTPw

(B) “DEEP WATER” (3:01) [Beechwood BMI — Frazier, White, Wilson, Jr., Harris]
Boys settle down to a tearful take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjBUPyH5KI

THE BLUES BUSTERS (New Orleans 727)

(B+) “THERE’S ALWAYS SUNSHINE” (2:25) [Melder BMI — Campbell, Jones]
The new label, based in Chicago, was formed by singer Joe Jones, and it could do important business first time out with this contagious medium-beat stand by the song crew. Watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JJpKZaGRw

(B) “DONNA” (2:12) [Melder BMI—Campbell, Jones]
Boys have a catchy sound here. Tune is not the late Ritchie Valens success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs4p5h-luhM

LITTLE WILLIE JOHN (King 5628)

(B+) “MISTER GLENN” (2:49) [Lois BMI — Toombs, King]
The latest in the disk tributes to our man in orbit is this gimmick-filled rock-a-cha-cha delighter. Opening segment is an actual description of the flight. Side has that hit sound. Keep close tabs on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZK6ZVvtVXU

(B+) “UNTIL AGAIN MY LOVE” [Pandora BMI—Sandler, Reid, Kosloff]
This Latin-beat romancer is also loaded with the chart goods. Could be a big double-decker for Little Willie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc69N9ZKAzg

VINCE EVERETT (ABC-Paramount 10313)

(B) “SUCH A NIGHT” (2:27)1[Raleigh-Elvis Presley BMI Chase]
The one-time Elvis Presley hit revived with a pro upbeat shuffle sound, headed by the Presley-sounding songster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF0UwjkTVQU

(B) “DON’T GO” (2:04) [Nite-4Time BMI—Benefield]
Folkish blueser is done with a busy-beat touch here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N26lbowaREI

LITTLE MILTON (Checker 1012)

(B+) “SATISFIED” (2:18) [ArcLyco BMI—Campbell, Sain]
Little Milton leads a top-notch fast- moving rollicking beat opus with his expected superior range and pitch. Chanter’s potent delivery and the tune’s hard-driving melodic line rank this as one of Milton’s most enjoyable efforts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSIfRXyv0U

(B) “SOMEONE TO LOVE” (1:45) [Arc-Lyco BMI Campbell, Sain]
This time out the songster renders a familar-sounding r&b tune with a rockin’, shuffle beat sound. Side has a good chance of getting airplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIW8sdxPUKU

THE CRAFTYS (Elmor 310)

(B-h) “ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM” (2:20) [Selma BMI—Hays, Jackson]
This teen oldie could be a chart-maker for the Craftys, who stomp it out in money-making style. Musical accompaniment is by the Raging Storms, who are currently making noise with “Dribble Twist.”

(B) “I WENT TO A PARTY” (2:33) [Selma BMI—Crier]
Fellas give out with some more teen- appealing shuffle-rock sounds on this handclapper. Label’s
handled by the N.Y.-based Atlas Performers.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw-iJad0R4

BETTY EVERETT (One-derful! 4806)

(B-b) “YOUR LOVE IS IMPORTANT TO ME” (2:58) [La-[Maja BMI —Austell, Bland]
Blues lark puts lots of feeling into this expression, a tribute to a guy’s standing in his gal’s life. Effective, mostly R&B-market entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXobHe1pNFk

(B) “I’VE GOT A CLAIM ON YOU” (2:27) [LaMaja BMI—Everett]
Performer does a good beltin’ blues job here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXYW2Ea3dyM

THE CORDELLS (Bargain 5004)

(B) “THE BEAT OF MY HEART” (2:02) [Y plus X BMI—Young, Gordy]
One of those busy, chant-gimmick R&B-ballad stints done more often a few years ago. It stands-up very well to today’s teen sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhTsCO63T8

(B) “LAID OFF” (2:18) [Y plus X BMI—-Gordy, Osborne]
Whacky sans-lyric ideas are also in- cluded in this novelty about a fella who’s out of a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRZNCzZeCY

RELIGIOUS

SPIRIT OF MEMPHIS (Peacock)

“Why”/ ‘If I Should Miss Heaven”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpOWmrsae6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kF5Y_cs6W0

Roger Ford

Sep 25, 2022, 10:38:24 AM9/25/22
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 06:32:33 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>MARCH 31, 1962
>
>https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/60s/1962/CB-1962-0=
>3-31.pdf
>

>PICK OF THE WEEK
>
>GENE PITNEY (Musicor 1020)
>
>(THE MAN WHO SHOT) LIBERTY VALANCE

As I may have mentioned once or twenty times on here "the most famous
person ever to be a passenger in my taxi"- I had the very enjoyable
task of ferrying him to Heathrow Airport,London to catch his flight
back to the U.S. Great conversation all the way with him almost
falling over in astonishment that his driver actually knew who Billy
Bryan and Jamie & Jane were.

The song in question here came up in conversation too---surprisingly
failing to emulate its American success on these shores but still one
of my favorite Pitney recordings.The makers of the movie of that name
really should have used it in the film too

R.I.P Gene

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>----------------------------------
>
>THE KINGSTON TRIO (Capitol 4740)
>
>SCOTCH AND SODA

Disliked practically everything I ever heard by these guys but since
Bruce mentioned them the other day I'll go on record as saying that
yes,I DID like "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" by them---the only
song by them I ever had a good word for (tho I smiled at the Four
Preps' take off of them on their "More Money For You And Me" comedy
medley
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>
>DOROTHY BERRY (Little Star 111)
>
>THE GIRL WHO STOPPED THE DUKE OF EARL=

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D414oQETdPkE

One of the several "answer" records to Gene Chandler's great "Duke Of
Earl" hii

Two other famous answers wrere

The Pearlettes and "Duchess Of Earl"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m44L0RIKw0

and Bobbie Smith & The Dream Girls with the similarly titled (but
different) "Duchess Of Earl"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHUkXev1azo

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>
>CHUCK JACKSON (Wand 122)
>
>ANY DAY NOW

Just about my very favorite Chuck Jackson record that I fell in love
with first time I ever heard it. And probably the best thing that Burt
Bacharach ever had a hand in. Sadly another one that missed the charts
here tho it did do well for him back home

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>
>THE CORSAIRS
>
>I'LL TAKE YOU HOME

I remember being surprised to find this was a different song to the
Drifters' record of that title which was out at about the same time. I
was even more surprised that tho "I'll Take You Home" was quite good
it wasn't a patch on their huge "Smoky Places" US hit that for some
reason was never released over here at the time (despite being a #12
US hit) and that I only knew at that time from hearing it regularly on
the American Forces Network radio beamed from Europe

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>----------------------------------

>THE RIVINGTONS (Liberty 55427)
>
>DEEP WATER
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlTjBUPyH5KI

Loved the famous topside on this one too but for me "Deep Water" was
THE side. Deep AND soulful!.Remember wearing out my first copy of this
and its high on my 1962 favorites list :-

1. I Found A Love The Falcons
2. Bring It On Home To Me Sam Cooke
3. I Need Your Loving Don Gardner & Dee Dee Ford
4. Lipstick Traces Benny Spellman
5. Green Onions Booker T. & The MG's
6. I'm In Love Again The bUpsetters
7. Cry To Me Solomon Burke
8. These Arms Of Mine Otis Redding
9. You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover Bo Diddley
10. You'll Lose A Good Thing Barbara Lynn
11. Some Other Guy Richie Barrett
12. My Man-He's A Lovin' Man Betty Lavett
13. Deep Water Rivingtons

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

Bruce

Sep 25, 2022, 11:23:18 AM9/25/22
On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 10:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:

> my 1962 favorites list :-
>
> 1. I Found A Love The Falcons
> 2. Bring It On Home To Me Sam Cooke
> 3. I Need Your Loving Don Gardner & Dee Dee Ford
> 4. Lipstick Traces Benny Spellman
> 5. Green Onions Booker T. & The MG's
> 6. I'm In Love Again The bUpsetters
> 7. Cry To Me Solomon Burke
> 8. These Arms Of Mine Otis Redding
> 9. You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover Bo Diddley
> 10. You'll Lose A Good Thing Barbara Lynn
> 11. Some Other Guy Richie Barrett
> 12. My Man-He's A Lovin' Man Betty Lavett
> 13. Deep Water Rivingtons

Where is "Jackson Dog?" :-)

My 1962 list as it currently stands

1 ¦ I Need Your Lovin' ¦ Don Gardner & Dee Dee Ford
2 ¦ I'm In Love Again ¦ Upsetters
3 ¦ Pink Pegged Slacks ¦ Eddie Cochran
4 ¦ Green Onions ¦ Booker T. & MG's
5 ¦ Shticks And Stones ¦ Allan Sherman
6 ¦ The One Who Really Loves You ¦ Mary Wells
7 ¦ I Wanna Be Around ¦ Tony Bennett
8 ¦ Jackson Dog ¦ Larry Brinkley
9 ¦ Stormy Monday Blues ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
10 ¦ Bring It Home To Me ¦ Sam Cooke
11 ¦ Lover Please ¦ Clyde McPhatter
12 ¦ You've Really Got A Hold On Me ¦ Miracles
13 ¦ I Love You ¦ Volumes
14 ¦ I Found A Love ¦ Falcons
15 ¦ Beneath The Sun ¦ Equallos
16 ¦ Broadway ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
17 ¦ Love Came To Me ¦ Dion
18 ¦ I Got To Find My Baby ¦ Little Walter
19 ¦ Up On The Roof ¦ Drifters
20 ¦ I Left My Heart In San Francisco ¦ Tony Bennett
21 ¦ Minstrel And Queen ¦ Impressions
22 ¦ Surfin' Safari ¦ Beach Boys
23 ¦ Twist And Shout ¦ Isley Brothers
24 ¦ These Arms Of Mine ¦ Otis Redding
25 ¦ Let's Dance ¦ Chris Montez
26 ¦ Love Me Do ¦ Beatles
27 ¦ Do You Love Me ¦ Contours
28 ¦ Just Your Fool ¦ Little Walter
29 ¦ Twistin' The Night Away ¦ Sam Cooke
30 ¦ Grow Closer Together ¦ Impressions
31 ¦ Remember Then ¦ Earls
32 ¦ I Can't Stop Loving You ¦ Ray Charles
33 ¦ Trick Bag ¦ Earl King
34 ¦ In The Night ¦ Chick Carbo
35 ¦ Two Lovers ¦ Mary Wells
36 ¦ Dancin' Party ¦ Chubby Checker
37 ¦ What Time Is It ¦ Jive Five
38 ¦ My Zelda ¦ Allan Sherman
39 ¦ Every Night About This Time ¦ Upsetters
40 ¦ Christmas Celebration ¦ B.B. King
41 ¦ I Ain't Superstitious ¦ Howlin' Wolf
42 ¦ Hello Baby ¦ Lee "Shot" Williams
43 ¦ Hide And Go Seek ¦ Bunker Hill
44 ¦ I'm The One Who Loves You ¦ Impressions
45 ¦ Boom Boom ¦ John Lee Hooker
46 ¦ You Need Love ¦ Muddy Waters
47 ¦ Get Out Of My House ¦ Ernie K-Doe
48 ¦ Never Let Me Go ¦ Impressions
49 ¦ Sheila ¦ Tommy Roe
50 ¦ At The Club ¦ Ray Charles
51 ¦ Call On Me ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
52 ¦ Return To Sender ¦ Elvis Presley
53 ¦ True True Love ¦ Corvairs
54 ¦ Monster Mash ¦ Bobby "Boris" Pickett
55 ¦ Having A Party ¦ Sam Cooke
56 ¦ The Town I Live In ¦ McKinley Mitchell
57 ¦ Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee ¦ Larry Dale
58 ¦ 409 ¦ Beach Boys
59 ¦ I Done Got Over It ¦ Irma Thomas
60 ¦ My Sometime Baby ¦ B.B. King
61 ¦ Lipstick Traces ¦ Benny Spellman
62 ¦ Never Let You Go ¦ Five Discs
63 ¦ Dream Baby ¦ Roy Orbison
64 ¦ You'll Lose A Good Thing ¦ Barbara Lynn
65 ¦ So What ¦ Bill Black's Combo
66 ¦ He Knows The Rules ¦ Jimmy McCracklin
67 ¦ Rainbow ¦ Gene Chandler
68 ¦ Jack That Cat Was Clean ¦ Dr. Horse
69 ¦ Power Of Love ¦ Ambassadors
70 ¦ A Losing Battle ¦ Johnny Adams
71 ¦ Let's Stomp ¦ Bobby Comstock
72 ¦ I Get So Tired ¦ Harmonica Fats
73 ¦ You Beat Me To The Punch ¦ Mary Wells
74 ¦ How Far ¦ Chris Kenner
75 ¦ Good Luck Charm ¦ Elvis Presley
76 ¦ Wiggle Wobble ¦ Les Cooper
77 ¦ Little Town Flirt ¦ Del Shannon
78 ¦ Tore Up ¦ Harmonica Fats
79 ¦ Slow Twistin' ¦ Chubby Checker
80 ¦ Wipe Out ¦ Surfaris
81 ¦ Mashed Potato Time ¦ Dee Dee Sharp
82 ¦ Gonna Miss You Around Here ¦ B.B. King
83 ¦ Hitch Hike ¦ Marvin Gaye
84 ¦ Shake Hands With Your Uncle Max ¦ Allan Sherman
85 ¦ Cry To Me ¦ Solomon Burke
86 ¦ Mama Didn't Lie ¦ Jan Bradley
87 ¦ Stubborn Kind Of Fellow ¦ Marvin Gaye
88 ¦ The Loco-Motion ¦ Little Eva
89 ¦ Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans ¦ Fats Domino
90 ¦ I'm Hanging Up My Heart For You ¦ Solomon Burke
91 ¦ Limbo Rock ¦ Chubby Checker
92 ¦ Seltzer Boy ¦ Allan Sherman
93 ¦ Lovers Who Wander ¦ Dion
94 ¦ Santa Claus Is Coming ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
95 ¦ Jump Down, Spin Around ¦ Allan Sherman
96 ¦ Little Jewel of The Vieux Carre ¦ Joe Barry
97 ¦ A Real Good Time ¦ Eddie Clearwater
98 ¦ Twist Twist Senora ¦ Gary U.S. Bonds
99 ¦ He's Sure The Boy I Love ¦ Crystals
100 ¦ Everyday I Have To Cry ¦Steve Alaimo
101 ¦ Things ¦ Bobby Darin
102 ¦ Good Lover ¦ Jimmy Reed
103 ¦ Fat Boy ¦ Billy Stewart
104 ¦ Ruby Ann ¦ Marty Robbins
105 ¦ Don't You Lose It ¦ Earl King
106 ¦ Don't You Worry ¦ Don Gardner & Dee Dee Ford
107 ¦ He's A Rebel ¦ Crystals
108 ¦ Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow ¦ Rivingtons
109 ¦ Forever ¦ Marvelettes
110 ¦ Oh Boy ¦ Allan Sherman
111 ¦ Here 'Tis ¦ Bo Diddley
112 ¦ Oye Como Va ¦ Tito Puente
113 ¦ 36-22-36 ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
114 ¦ I'm Gonna Put Some Hurt On You ¦ Raymond Lewis
115 ¦ Going Through The Park ¦ Jimmy Anderson
116 ¦ The Uh-Huh ¦ Warren Lee
117 ¦ Let's Stick Together ¦ Wilbert Harrison
118 ¦ Always Accused ¦ Willie Tee
119 ¦ Chains ¦ Cookies
120 ¦ Rinky Dink ¦ Dave "Baby" Cortez
121 ¦ Gloria ¦ Vito and the Salutations
122 ¦ Got To Have Some ¦ Willie Mabon
123 ¦ Don't Make Me Over ¦ Dionne Warwick
124 ¦ It's Raining ¦ Irma Thomas
125 ¦ Walk Right In ¦ Rooftop Singers
126 ¦ Something's Got A Hold On Me ¦ Etta James
127 ¦ Do You Know How To Twist ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
128 ¦ You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover ¦ Bo Diddley
129 ¦ Any Day Now ¦ Chuck Jackson
130 ¦ The Ballad Of Jed Clampett ¦ Flatt & Scruggs
131 ¦ I'm Warning You Baby ¦ Lightnin' Slim
132 ¦ Village Of Love ¦ Nathaniel Mayer & Fabulous Twilights
133 ¦ Mashed Potatoes U.S.A. ¦ James Brown
134 ¦ Hide 'Nor Hair ¦ Ray Charles
135 ¦ Who Will The Next Fool Be ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
136 ¦ Quit My Drinkin' ¦ Robert Garrett
137 ¦ You Shook Me ¦ Muddy Waters
138 ¦ Goin' Down Slow ¦ Howlin' Wolf
139 ¦ What Did Daddy Do? ¦ Shep & Limelites
140 ¦ Our Anniversary ¦ Shep & Limelites
141 ¦ You Don't Know Me ¦ Ray Charles
142 ¦ Gee Baby, What About You ¦ Shep & Limelites
143 ¦ In The Wee Wee Hours ¦ Joe Liggins
144 ¦ Bongo Stomp ¦ Little Joey & Flips
145 ¦ It's Twistin' Time ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
146 ¦ Nut Rocker ¦ B. Bumble & Stingers
147 ¦ Let's Go (Pony) ¦ Routers
148 ¦ I Just Can't Take It No More ¦ Cookie Gabriel
149 ¦ I Wanna Boogie ¦ Jimmy Anderson
150 ¦ Well Oh Well ¦ Syl Johnson
151 ¦ Beechwood 4-5789 ¦ Marvelettes
152 ¦ Life's Too Short ¦ Lafayettes
153 ¦ Don't Hang Up ¦ Orlons
154 ¦ Jelly Bread ¦ Booker T. & MG's
155 ¦ If I Had A Hammer ¦ Peter, Paul & Mary
156 ¦ My Man - He's A Lovin' Man ¦ Betty LaVett
157 ¦ I Just Can't Help It ¦ Jackie Wilson
158 ¦ That's The Way Love Is ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
159 ¦ The Wah Watusi ¦ Orlons
160 ¦ Fais Do Do (Fay Doe Doe) ¦ Rod Bernard
161 ¦ Too Much ¦ Jimmy Reed
162 ¦ I Go Into Orbit ¦ Johnny Acey
163 ¦ Hully Gully Now ¦ Big Bo & Arrows
164 ¦ I'm Checkin' Up ¦ Tender Slim
165 ¦ Take Care of Yourself ¦ Jimmy McCracklin
166 ¦ Git To Gittin' ¦ Pee Wee Crayton
167 ¦ Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye ¦ Danny White
168 ¦ Bo Diddley ¦ J.M. Van Eaton & Untochables
169 ¦ The Joint's Really Jumpin' ¦ Jimmy Evans
170 ¦ Lah-Tee-Lah-Tah ¦ Falcons
171 ¦ Hot Biscuits And Gravy ¦ Marvin Phillips & Good Timers
172 ¦ Midnite Blues ¦ J.M. Van Eaton & Untochables
173 ¦ One Way Out ¦ Sonny Boy Williamson
174 ¦ Mish-Mash ¦ Carrie Grant & Grandeurs

Roger Ford

Sep 25, 2022, 11:36:51 AM9/25/22
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:23:17 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 10:38:24 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
>
>> my 1962 favorites list :-=20
>>=20
>> 1. I Found A Love The Falcons=20
>> 2. Bring It On Home To Me Sam Cooke=20
>> 3. I Need Your Loving Don Gardner & Dee Dee Ford=20
>> 4. Lipstick Traces Benny Spellman=20
>> 5. Green Onions Booker T. & The MG's=20
>> 6. I'm In Love Again The bUpsetters=20
>> 7. Cry To Me Solomon Burke=20
>> 8. These Arms Of Mine Otis Redding=20
>> 9. You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover Bo Diddley=20
>> 10. You'll Lose A Good Thing Barbara Lynn=20
>> 11. Some Other Guy Richie Barrett=20
>> 12. My Man-He's A Lovin' Man Betty Lavett=20
>> 13. Deep Water Rivingtons=20
>
>Where is "Jackson Dog?" :-)

50. Papa Oom Mow Mow Rivingtons
51. Village Of Love Nathaniel Mayer & Fabulous Twilights
52. Never Let Me Go Impressions
53. What Time Is It Jive Five
54. I Got Eyes For You Jimmy McCracklin
55. The Joint's Really Jumpin' Jimmy Evans
56. Jackson Dog Larry Brinkley

Playlist

Sep 25, 2022, 3:13:48 PM9/25/22

Bill B

Sep 25, 2022, 5:46:07 PM9/25/22
On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 9:32:34 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> MARCH 31, 1962
>

> THE CORSAIRS & JAY “BIRD” UZZELL (Chess 1818)
>
> “I’LL TAKE YOU HOME” (2:30) [Sunflower, Annie, Earl ASCAP—Hugo, Luigi, Weiss]
> The Corsairs, with Jay “Bird” Uzzell in the featured slot once again, come thru with a potent follow-up to their current Chess-distributed Tuff slice, “Smokey Places.” It’s a haunting, slow cha cha beat romancer, tabbed “I’ll Take You Home,” that sports attention-getting percussive bits.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-3Sd-51SU

An all-time favorite of mine which, IIRC, got savaged when I nominated it in the Obscurities contest. Good to see the esteem Cashbox exhibited.