New Server

Roger Ford

Jul 1, 2021, 12:39:06 AM7/1/21
July 1 and my old news server has shut down

Posting this via nntp.aioe.org

Let me know youse can see it ok thanks

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Steve Mc

Jul 1, 2021, 12:48:22 AM7/1/21
On 6/30/2021 9:39 PM, Roger Ford wrote:
> July 1 and my old news server has shut down
>
> Posting this via nntp.aioe.org
>
> Let me know youse can see it ok thanks
>
> ROGER FORD
> -----------------------
>
> "Spam Free Zone" - to combat unwanted automatic spamming I have added
> an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please
> delete same before responding.Thank you!

Look fine to me, though spell check would've been nice.

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 1, 2021, 1:23:01 AM7/1/21
No problems.

DianeE

Jul 1, 2021, 6:33:03 AM7/1/21
On 7/1/2021 12:39 AM, Roger Ford wrote:
> July 1 and my old news server has shut down
>
> Posting this via nntp.aioe.org
>
> Let me know youse can see it ok thanks
>
> ROGER FORD
> -----------------------
>
> "Spam Free Zone" - to combat unwanted automatic spamming I have added
> an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please
> delete same before responding.Thank you!

----------
You're good!

Jim Colegrove

Jul 1, 2021, 9:38:35 AM7/1/21
On Thu, 01 Jul 2021 04:39:03 GMT, mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger
Ford) wrote:

>July 1 and my old news server has shut down
>
>Posting this via nntp.aioe.org
>
>Let me know youse can see it ok thanks
>
>ROGER FORD
>-----------------------
>
>"Spam Free Zone" - to combat unwanted automatic spamming I have added
>an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please
>delete same before responding.Thank you!

This appears on my screen. Looks fine to me.

Roger Ford

Jul 2, 2021, 3:06:37 PM7/2/21
On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 21:48:19 -0700, Steve Mc
<steve...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 6/30/2021 9:39 PM, Roger Ford wrote:
>> July 1 and my old news server has shut down
>>
>> Posting this via nntp.aioe.org
>>
>> Let me know youse can see it ok thanks
>>

>Look fine to me, though spell check would've been nice.

There is one teeny little problem

I CAN'T SEE IT!!

Leastways I can if I use Agent (that I'm posting this on)

But my Free Agent tho obviously POISTING my messages OK will NOT
download them (or any other group messages) so am unable to see new
posts on there.

I have to use Agent to download.

But its a little inconvenient as it doesn't carry my huge outbox of
previously sent posts

Any ideas how I combine sending and recieving in Free Agent?

Jim Colegrove

Jul 2, 2021, 5:35:44 PM7/2/21
Maybe you just need to get Agent 8?

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 2, 2021, 5:51:56 PM7/2/21
Agent 86 and agent 99 are both very good.

DianeE

Jul 2, 2021, 6:06:08 PM7/2/21
The weird thing is that all your posts are now showing up in the wrong
thread (in Thunderbird).

Jim Colegrove

Jul 2, 2021, 7:37:10 PM7/2/21
On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 20:06:36 +0100, Roger Ford
<mari...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

Have you tried importing messages in Agent? There is an import
messages on the file menu.

Roger Ford

Jul 3, 2021, 8:58:31 AM7/3/21
Thanks for the response Jim

I have a recent version of Agent that I am using to download new
postings from here and cutting an pasting those I wish to reply to
into Free Agent which I then use to post my response.

I could of course respond easier in Agent but in Free Agent my reply
is stored in its "outbox" with everything else I've posted in the last
20+ years. If I use Agent it doesn't store in the same way.

I'm also happier with Free Agent. I know its little ways and am more
familiar with it. I'd like to use it for both purposes.

Question is...how?

Oke She Moke She Pop

Jul 3, 2021, 5:35:31 PM7/3/21
Yeah we got smart on TV over here too :)

Roger Ford

Jul 4, 2021, 6:03:56 AM7/4/21
TEST

DianeE

Jul 4, 2021, 9:57:43 AM7/4/21
On 7/4/2021 6:03 AM, Roger Ford wrote:
> TEST

---------
Peekaboo, I see you.

Roger Ford

Jul 4, 2021, 10:01:11 AM7/4/21
EEK!!! You scared me!

I am in same situation as Bruce and Dean now----posting via Google Groups

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 4, 2021, 10:04:29 AM7/4/21
Oh the horror.

RWC

Jul 6, 2021, 10:37:32 AM7/6/21
<mari...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>> July 1 and my old news server has shut down
>>>
>>> Posting this via nntp.aioe.org
>>>
>There is one teeny little problem
>
>I CAN'T SEE IT!!
>
>Leastways I can if I use Agent (that I'm posting this on)
>
>But my Free Agent tho obviously POISTING my messages OK will NOT
>download them (or any other group messages) so am unable to see new
>posts on there.

I've just found Agent v3 on my system, which will have the same menu
options as your 'Free Agent'. (going by the list of received messages,
this version was last used in 2007 :)

Anyway, in Tools > Servers and Accounts > New>> (at bottom left)
I added nntp.aioe.org as a news server (that's all I did). I was then
able to download group messages (that went back to Jan of this year).

So I ask myself, did Roger delete, in Tools > Servers and Accounts,
his old news server - perhaps his Free Agent is trying (and failing)
to Receive group messages using this closed down news server?

Geoff

Roger Ford

Jul 6, 2021, 10:59:53 AM7/6/21
Yes I have deleted my old news server and currently using Google
groups to post here.

But I notice my Agent just started working again and downloaded all
current messages.I wonder if aioe.org only allows so many posts and/or
downloads in a specified time and that I exceeded it?

Anyway I hope it sends this one :)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

DianeE

Jul 6, 2021, 11:10:33 AM7/6/21
-----------
It did, but weirdly, although it shows up as a reply to Geoff in Google
Groups, it shows up as a new thread in Thunderbird.
That is, however, an improvement over showing up in the *wrong* thread!

RWC

Jul 6, 2021, 12:26:46 PM7/6/21
On Tue, 06 Jul 2021 14:59:51 GMT, mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger
Ford) wrote:

>Yes I have deleted my old news server and currently using Google
>groups to post here.
>
>But I notice my Agent just started working again and downloaded all
>current messages.I wonder if aioe.org only allows so many posts and/or
>downloads in a specified time and that I exceeded it?

I presume you're referring to your original Free Agent.
So now this newsreader can both send and receive group messages
- mission accomplished (assuming any time-volume limits are not an
ongoing issue).

>Anyway I hope it sends this one :)

In Agent too, the above message shows up as a new thread.

In recent times you have referred to "Free Agent" and "Agent" as two
separate apps on your computer. I can see that both apps are actually
Free Agent, versions 1 and 3 respectively. In your original New Server
thread you used v3 (and Google), in this latest thread you used with
success your all-time 'old slipper' fave, v1 :)

Roger Ford

Jul 6, 2021, 12:52:10 PM7/6/21
Diane,do you see this under the "right" header?

DianeE

Jul 6, 2021, 1:00:49 PM7/6/21
-----------
I see it (in Thunderbird) under the new thread you started as "Re: New
Server" about 2 hours ago, not under the original "New Server" thread
started July 1. But in Google Groups it's all one thread.

Roger Ford

Jul 7, 2021, 1:53:59 AM7/7/21
Indeed there is and indeed it works too! Thanks Jim!!

The regular "Get New Headers In Selected Groups" button in my Free
Agent no longer functions but under the "Online" tab the "Get All
Headers In Selected Groups" DOES work and has successfully downloaded
all posts to date.

I have a suspicion that the aioe.org free server is only allowing a
certain amount of online usage per day or something of that nature but
I can live with that as I will use Google Groups to post in any "down"
times

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

Jim Colegrove

Jul 7, 2021, 11:08:10 AM7/7/21
That's good to hear, Roger. Happy to be of service.

RWC

Jul 8, 2021, 1:14:00 PM7/8/21
Ford) wrote:

>But I notice my Agent just started working again and downloaded all
>current messages.I wonder if aioe.org only allows so many posts and/or
>downloads in a specified time and that I exceeded it?

http://news.aioe.org/

to prevent abuse of this FREE Usenet server, postings are limited to
40 a day per IP address

Other Terms of Use:
https://news.aioe.org/index.php?id=termsofuse
No more than four concurrent connections per IP address.
Each IP address cannot connect more than 600 times per day.

Most individual users would only be affected by the above limits
if they share their IP address with other users (such as on a private
network) who were also accessing aioe.org.

No binary postings - Aioe.org serves to discuss, it is not a file
sharing platform.

Quoted, blank and empty lines must be less than 80% of total body.
Quoted lines start with ">" or "|" - {such as those that contain
the message(s) you are responding to}.

Control messages are forbidden, such as posts that cancel a previous
post {how can you do that with commercial news servers?}.

Currently, TOR users can't post messages through Aioe.org

When I experimented, over a period, with nntp.aioe.org, in both Agent
and Thunderbird, it always worked well, there were no 'outages'.

btw, Agent Usenet can be got for as little as $2.95 a month (20GB)
(binaries are retained for 12 years, text 18 years):
https://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

Roger Ford

Jul 28, 2021, 2:07:52 PM7/28/21