Forgotten Covers

Bruce

Apr 27, 2023, 10:18:44 AM4/27/23

Bill B

Apr 27, 2023, 10:45:56 AM4/27/23
On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:18:44 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> 1955 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Ixpo187dk

This is bad, but it reminded me of seeing the song done on the Arthur Godfrey show by the Mariners. I was happy to see my music being recognized, and my recollection was it was much better than this one, but it's not on You Tube. Anyone help me out?

Bruce

Apr 27, 2023, 12:38:59 PM4/27/23
Most likely it wasn't a record. The Mariners were regulars on that show, and they probably sang lots of songs on the show that they never recorded. It was probably a huge hit that week by Boone so they had them sing it.

Roger Ford

Apr 28, 2023, 2:03:37 AM4/28/23
On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:38:58 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:45:56=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Bill B wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:18:44=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:=20
>> > 1955 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZ6Ixpo187dk=20
>>=20
>> This is bad, but it reminded me of seeing the song done on the Arthur God=
>frey show by the Mariners. I was happy to see my music being recognized, an=
>d my recollection was it was much better than this one, but it's not on You=
> Tube. Anyone help me out?
>
>Most likely it wasn't a record. The Mariners were regulars on that show, an=
>d they probably sang lots of songs on the show that they never recorded. It=
> was probably a huge hit that week by Boone so they had them sing it.

I think you're right here---I checked and can't find any evidence that
the Mariners ever recorded "At My Front Door".

There seems to be one cover of the song that I've never heard
tho---one Art Rouse had a version in 1955---it's on the Gateway label
which was one of those cheapo basement price outfits that specialized
in covers

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

Bruce

Apr 28, 2023, 2:08:22 AM4/28/23
On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 2:03:37 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:38:58 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:45:56=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Bill B wrote:
> >> On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:18:44=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:=20
> >>=20
> >> This is bad, but it reminded me of seeing the song done on the Arthur God=
> >frey show by the Mariners. I was happy to see my music being recognized, an=
> >d my recollection was it was much better than this one, but it's not on You=
> > Tube. Anyone help me out?
> >
> >Most likely it wasn't a record. The Mariners were regulars on that show, an=
> >d they probably sang lots of songs on the show that they never recorded. It=
> > was probably a huge hit that week by Boone so they had them sing it.
> I think you're right here---I checked and can't find any evidence that
> the Mariners ever recorded "At My Front Door".
>
> There seems to be one cover of the song that I've never heard
> tho---one Art Rouse had a version in 1955---it's on the Gateway label
> which was one of those cheapo basement price outfits that specialized
> in covers

Sounds like he was covering Boone.

https://archive.org/details/78_at-my-front-door_art-rouse-herbie-laynes-orchestra_gbia0453174b

Roger Ford

Apr 28, 2023, 2:22:33 AM4/28/23
On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 23:08:20 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 2:03:37=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:38:58 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>=20
>> wrote:=20
>>=20
>> >On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:45:56=3DE2=3D80=3DAFAM UTC-4, Bill B w=
>rote:=20
>wrote:=3D20=20
>God=3D=20
>> >frey show by the Mariners. I was happy to see my music being recognized,=
> an=3D=20
>> >d my recollection was it was much better than this one, but it's not on =
>You=3D
>> > Tube. Anyone help me out?=20
>> >
>> >Most likely it wasn't a record. The Mariners were regulars on that show,=
> an=3D=20
>> >d they probably sang lots of songs on the show that they never recorded.=
> It=3D
>> > was probably a huge hit that week by Boone so they had them sing it.
>> I think you're right here---I checked and can't find any evidence that=20
>> the Mariners ever recorded "At My Front Door".=20
>>=20
>> There seems to be one cover of the song that I've never heard=20
>> tho---one Art Rouse had a version in 1955---it's on the Gateway label=20
>> which was one of those cheapo basement price outfits that specialized=20
>> in covers=20
>
>Sounds like he was covering Boone.
>
>https://archive.org/details/78_at-my-front-door_art-rouse-herbie-laynes-orc=
>hestra_gbia0453174b

Some other cheapo versions available there too I see but nothing to
keep the El Dorados awake nights

Roger Ford

Apr 28, 2023, 6:01:22 AM4/28/23
On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 07:45:55 -0700 (PDT), Bill B <bb...@optonline.net>
wrote:

>On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:18:44=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> 1955 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZ6Ixpo187dk
>
>This is bad, but it reminded me of seeing the song done on the Arthur Godfrey
>show by the Mariners.

Speaking of the Mariners (and in keeping with the title of this
thread) reminded me of one of the absolute worst----absolute VERY
worst----cover versions of the 50's.

The four member (two white guys two black) Mariners group only ever
charted in Bilboard with two of their records---"Sometime" in 1950 and
"I See The Moon" in late1953.

Now their original version of "I See The Moon" is bad enough in itself
---but it gave rise to a UK cover version that went to #1 here that is
worse still.

MUCH worse!

Here's the Stargazers UK group with their version which ended up one
of the biggest hits of 1954 over here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=913q-xNLLBQ

Bruce

Apr 28, 2023, 10:09:18 AM4/28/23
On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 6:01:22 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 07:45:55 -0700 (PDT), Bill B <bb...@optonline.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 10:18:44=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> 1955 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZ6Ixpo187dk
> >
> >This is bad, but it reminded me of seeing the song done on the Arthur Godfrey
> >show by the Mariners.
> Speaking of the Mariners (and in keeping with the title of this
> thread) reminded me of one of the absolute worst----absolute VERY
> worst----cover versions of the 50's.
>
> The four member (two white guys two black) Mariners group only ever
> charted in Bilboard with two of their records---"Sometime" in 1950 and
> "I See The Moon" in late1953.
>
> Now their original version of "I See The Moon" is bad enough in itself
> ---but it gave rise to a UK cover version that went to #1 here that is
> worse still.
>
> MUCH worse!
>
> Here's the Stargazers UK group with their version which ended up one
> of the biggest hits of 1954 over here
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=913q-xNLLBQ

Sounds like it's from like 1916.

Bruce

Apr 29, 2023, 1:37:57 PM4/29/23
Never knew this one before, from 1957.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPEYG2EcvCk

Bruce

Apr 29, 2023, 1:56:19 PM4/29/23
Also 1957, never heard this one before, but I now think it's the best version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkoHH73LepY

Bruce

May 1, 2023, 4:27:31 PM5/1/23
The Skyliners covered in 1959.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3po4u5trw

Bruce

May 1, 2023, 6:37:33 PM5/1/23

Bruce

May 5, 2023, 2:13:44 PM5/5/23
Les Brown covers Johnny Otis - 1950

Bruce

May 7, 2023, 2:52:13 PM5/7/23
1952 - I think this is a cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zhokg8NVVE

Roger Ford

May 7, 2023, 3:23:15 PM5/7/23
On Sun, 7 May 2023 11:52:12 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>1952 - I think this is a cover.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zhokg8NVVE

Pretty sure you're right---Moose Jackson had his original "Nosey Joe"
out in February 1952 (ad in BB 8 March)----I have Chuck Murphy's cover
released in that March (reviewed 22 March CB)

Bruce

May 10, 2023, 10:48:10 AM5/10/23
Better than the Fontanes version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g81TbIwxiU

Bruce

May 10, 2023, 10:49:13 AM5/10/23
On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 10:48:10 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> Better than the Fontanes version:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g81TbIwxiU

And the flip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7XjYatntjw

Jim Colegrove

May 10, 2023, 7:06:34 PM5/10/23
On Wed, 10 May 2023 07:48:09 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Better than the Fontanes version:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g81TbIwxiU

Sure is. I 've not heard this one before.

Bruce

May 11, 2023, 9:57:34 AM5/11/23
Rusty Draper covers Sammy Masters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCwfSZ6n8A

Jim Colegrove

May 11, 2023, 12:38:33 PM5/11/23
On Thu, 11 May 2023 06:57:33 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Rusty Draper covers Sammy Masters.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCwfSZ6n8A

OK, but I'll take Sammy's version.

Bruce

May 11, 2023, 1:18:23 PM5/11/23
Ditto

Bruce

May 12, 2023, 10:25:09 AM5/12/23
Inferior cover of Ray Stanley from Sanford Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWqUNyZ6h9M

Here's the Ray Stanley if you don't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWKg17_V6cc

Bruce

May 19, 2023, 2:51:27 PM5/19/23
1951 - Clooney covers Hank W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TvGO7a-dIY

Bruce

May 19, 2023, 2:52:51 PM5/19/23
On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 2:51:27 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> 1951 - Clooney covers Hank W.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TvGO7a-dIY

I could never fully make out this line before from Hank's version,

"You always seem to be further from me than a country mile."

Jim Colegrove

May 19, 2023, 5:12:17 PM5/19/23
On Fri, 19 May 2023 11:52:50 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 2:51:27?PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> 1951 - Clooney covers Hank W.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TvGO7a-dIY
>
>I could never fully make out this line before from Hank's version,
>
>"You always seem to be further from me than a country mile."

That's what shie sings in her version.

Hank sang: "We don't get nearer or further or closer than a country
mile"

Bruce

May 19, 2023, 5:13:59 PM5/19/23
On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 5:12:17 PM UTC-4, Jim Colegrove wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2023 11:52:50 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
> >On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 2:51:27?PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> 1951 - Clooney covers Hank W.
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TvGO7a-dIY
> >
> >I could never fully make out this line before from Hank's version,
> >
> >"You always seem to be further from me than a country mile."
> That's what she sings in her version.
>
> Hank sang: "We don't get nearer or further or closer than a country
> mile"

That's right, that's what I thought it was.

Bruce

May 20, 2023, 12:28:42 PM5/20/23

Bruce

May 23, 2023, 12:58:17 PM5/23/23
The Debs on Bruce covering Bobby Lester & the Moonlighters and the Robins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs2nWlPVB2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xouusBlzjlU

Bruce

May 24, 2023, 11:08:22 AM5/24/23
Chuck Miller covers the Everly Bros. and the Cellos - 1957

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql8JGmUGwoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4D4s3U0uc

Bruce

May 25, 2023, 12:25:47 PM5/25/23