@New This Week@

Roger Ford

Aug 1, 2004, 6:13:59 AM8/1/04
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" this week in......

1953 (Aug 1)

Ray Anthony - Dragnet (Capitol 2562)
Mr Sad Head - Black Diamond (RCA 5388)
The Treniers - Do Nothin' But Grieve (Okeh 6984)
Junior Wells - Cut That Out (States 122)
Floyd Dixon - Married Woman (Aladdin 3196)**
John Greer & Rhythm Rockers - Beginning To Miss You (RCA 5370)**

1954 (Jul 31)

The Hilltoppers - If I Did'nt Care (Dot 15220)
The Counts - My Dear My Darling (Dot 1210)
The Castelles - Over A Cup Of Coffee (Grand 109)
The Cat Men (feat Sam The Man Taylor) - My Reverie (MGM 11791)
The Three Riffs - My Baby & A Lemon-n-Lime (Pic 0007)**
Bonnie Evans - Leave Your Love To Me (Lamp 8003)**

1955 (Jul 30)

The Four Lads - Moments To Remember (Columbia 40539)
Joe Turner - Hide And Seek (Atlantic 1069)
Smiley Lewis - I Hear You Knocking (Imperial 5356)
The Midnighters - Give It Up (Federal 12230)
The Hurricanes - Poor Little Dacing Girl (King 4817)
Little Willie Foster - Four Day Jump (Blue Lake 113)**

1956 (Aug 4)

Dave Barry & Sara Berner - Out Of This World With Flying Saucers (RPM
Johnny Burnette Trio - Oh Baby Babe (Coral 61675) 469)
The Dukes - Teardrop Eyes (Imperial 5401)
The Supremes - Tonight (Old Town 1024)
The Solitaires - The Angels Sang (Old Town 1026)
Clayton Love - Mary Lou (Groove 0162)**

1957 (Aug 5)

Jimmy Bowen - Ever Since That Night (Roulette 4017)
Jimmy Gavin - I Sit In My Window (Cameo 113)
Shirley & Lee - Rockin' With The Clock (Aladdin 3390)
The Paragons - Let's Start All Over Again (Winley 220)
The Ravens - That'll Be The Day (Argo 5276)
Linda Hopkins - Shiver And Shake (Atco 6096)**

1958 (Aug 4)

Ray Charles - My Bonnie (Atlantic 1196)
Ivan - Real Wild Child (Coral 62017)
The Tune Rockers - Green Mosquito (United Artists 139)
The Bobbettes - Um Bow Bow (Atlantic 1194)
Billy Storm - The Way To My Heart (Barbary Coast 1001)
Red & Blue - TV Baby (Herald 525)**

1959 (Aug 3)

The Everly Brothers - 'Til I Kissed You (Cadence 1369)
Buddy Holly - Peggy Sue Got Married (Coral 62134)
Ronnie Hawkins - Mary Lou (Roulette 4177)
Mamie Van Doren - The Beat Generation (Dot 15970)
The Clovers - Love Potion No. 9 (United Artists 180)
The Fireballs - Torquay (Top Rank 2008)

1960 (Aug 1)

Frank Sinatra - Nice 'N' Easy (Capitol 4408)
Sam Cooke - Chain Gang (RCA 7783)
Brook Benton - Kiddio (Mercury 71652)
The Piltdown Men - Brontosaurus Stomp (Capitol 4414)
Skeeter Davis - I Can't Help You (I'm Falling Too) (RCA 7767)
Ike & Tina Turner - A Fool In Love (Sue 730)

1961 (Jul 31)

Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby (Liberty 55354)
Roy Orbison - Crying (Monument 447)
Hank Locklin - You're The Reason (RCA 7921)
Nino & The Ebb Tides - Juke Box Saturday Night (Madison 166)
Billy Joe Tucker - Boogie Woogie Bill (Dot 16240)
Aaron Neville - Let's Live (Minit 631)

1962 (Aug 4)

Rick Nelson - Teenage Idol (Imperial 5864)
Bobby Vinton - I Love You The Way You Are (Diamond 121)
Peter,Paul & Mary - If I Had A Hammer (Warner Bros 5296)
Florraine Darlin - Long As The Rose Is Red (Epic 9529)
The Contours - Do You Love Me (Gordy 7005)
Jamie Horton - Only Forever (Joy 266)

1963 (Aug 3)

Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs - Sugar Shack (Dot 16487)
Garnet Mimms & Enchanters - Cry Baby (United Artists 629)
The Crystals - Then He Kissed Me (Philles 115)
The Duprees - Why Don't You Believe Me (Coed 584)
The Raindrops - The Kind Of Boy You Can't Forget (Jubilee 5455)
The Kingpins - It Won't Be This Way (Always) (Federal 12484)

** these I have'nt heard as far as I know

Yes,I know some sides as listed may not be the "top sides" as we know
them but they are the sides BB chose to review

This weeks teaser (in three parts):-

a) one of the songs listed was originally recorded by a top Australian
rock 'n' roll star.Who was he and what's the song?

b) TWO of the records listed this week are famous answer songs to
hits that were made by two other artists,both of whom are also
represented here this week (albeit in other records).

What are the songs,who were the original artists & what were the hits
they answered?

("Peggy Sue Got Married" is NOT one of them---its a sequel NOT an
answer record)

c) An artist listed this week had already had a fairly substantial
recording career earlier under a completely different (but real)
name.No big hit records came of it but it produced one of the most
famous "bad" records of all time! Who is the artist & what was that
original recording name?

For maximum points name that most famous (but completely untimely in
the midfdle of summer :) "bad" record.

OK awaiting the inevitable comments from sunny San Diego....:-)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------
an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk).

DianeE

Aug 1, 2004, 7:27:38 AM8/1/04

"Roger Ford" <mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> b) TWO of the records listed this week are famous answer songs to
> hits that were made by two other artists,both of whom are also
> represented here this week (albeit in other records).
>
> What are the songs,who were the original artists & what were the hits
> they answered?
-------------
Oh boy! For once I know one of the answers. It doesn't quite make up for
not having the Floyd Dixon or Clayton Love songs you haven't heard,
but......oh well.

First, "I Can't Help You I'm Falling Too" by Skeeter Davis is an answer to
"Please Help Me I'm Falling" by Hank Locklin.

Second, "Long As The Rose Is Red" by Florraine Darlin is an answer to "Roses
Are Red" by Bobby Vinton. (A particularly loathesome, treacly record in my
humble opinion!)

DianeE

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Roger Ford

Aug 2, 2004, 3:40:36 AM8/2/04
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:00:31 -0700, Norm Katuna
<nk001atoperamaildotcom> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:13:59 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
><mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk>, wrote:
>
>>Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
>>not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
>>"Billboard" this week in......
>>
>>1953 (Aug 1)
>>
>>Ray Anthony - Dragnet (Capitol 2562)
>

>I may not have this one, but I do have "The Bunny Hop" by him.

One of the best TV themes ever----I mean those first four notes.....it
could'nt be anything else!! It needed Mr Freberg to bring a little
gravitas to the proceedings on his version tho

>>Mr Sad Head - Black Diamond (RCA 5388)
>

>Looks like his last one of his four on RCA

Diane if you are reading this can you please remind me what this guy's
real name was?

>>Junior Wells - Cut That Out (States 122)
>

>$750 on red on States.

Of course the flip was "Eagle Rock" on this

>>Floyd Dixon - Married Woman (Aladdin 3196)**
>

>Unbelievable. I seem to have a vg copy of this'n.

Norm,is this the same song Joe Turner did?

>>John Greer & Rhythm Rockers - Beginning To Miss You (RCA 5370)**
>

>I have probably had at least 4 copies of this in my lifetime.

Is'nt this a R&B version of the pop hit of the time? I think the
McGuire Sisters did it

>>1954 (Jul 31)
>>
>>The Hilltoppers - If I Did'nt Care (Dot 15220)
>

>Ho hum. Jimmy Saca and group.

Not a bad version but done definitively earlier by The Ink Spots

>>The Cat Men (feat Sam The Man Taylor) - My Reverie (MGM 11791)
>

>Got to be an instro.

Instrumental of the old standard done most notably in this period by
The Larks

>>The Three Riffs - My Baby & A Lemon-n-Lime (Pic 0007)**
>

>Got to be more Jazz than anything else.

Kreiter does'nt show this at all and has nothing on this label either

>>Bonnie Evans - Leave Your Love To Me (Lamp 8003)**
>

>Unknown by me too. Also it's not listed in Tefteller so that's also a bad sign.

Is this label linked to the later Lamp label that was the subsidary of
Aladdin?

>>1955 (Jul 30)

>>Joe Turner - Hide And Seek (Atlantic 1069)
>

>Mine's filed under "Midnight Cannonball"

Yes mine too but "Hide And Seek" was the "A" side and a hit on the BB
R&B chart.It's real good too but "Midnight Cannonball" is GREAT!

>>Smiley Lewis - I Hear You Knocking (Imperial 5356)
>

>Is this any good. This should have been a hit, but I guess Imperial didn't do
>much promotion here since it never went anywhere.

This guy deserved stringing up for trying to take sales away from Gale
Storm and her definitive pop version of this song

>>Little Willie Foster - Four Day Jump (Blue Lake 113)**
>

>Saw this and immediately knew it was the wrong side. "Falling Rain Blues" is
>supposed to be the hit side.

Never heard that side either

>>1956 (Aug 4)
>>
>>Dave Barry & Sara Berner - Out Of This World With Flying Saucers (RPM469)
>
>Have had this two ways. One with sides one and two the way their supposed to be
>with side one on side one and side two on side two. The one I have now is like
>an ep with both sides one and two on both sides.

Amazingly this was issued over here at the time on the London label

>>Johnny Burnette Trio - Oh Baby Babe (Coral 61675)
>

>What can I say about this other that that this is the worst record so far on the
>list. I mean how could anybody stomache this kind of stuff back then. I was so
>happy when he made his career change to syrupy pop a few years later at Liberty.
>I would just as soon forget his Coral stuff.
>
>I'm glad I never picked that mint copy of the album on Coral for a buck way back
>when. What a waste of money it would have been.

This one sits midway in the table of "Baby Let's Play House" rip offs
with Presley's version of the song way out in front,this Burnette
version which is still pretty good in the middle and Billy Barrix's
ultra rare (but sadly ultra weak) "Cool Off Baby" trailing last

>>The Supremes - Tonight (Old Town 1024)
>

>Don't seem to have this one

The first thing I did on my very first visit to New York City was to
demand my money back from Hy Weiss on this turkey

It's terrible!!!!

I mean...Diana Ross just does'nt sound herself at all here

>>The Solitaires - The Angels Sang (Old Town 1026)
>

>This one neither.

One of the better Solitaires numbers thats held in pretty high esteem
round this parts.I don't go quite that far,its good but I prefer their
"Walking Along"

>>Clayton Love - Mary Lou (Groove 0162)**
>

>Ah, another Groove you've never heard of. Wonder if it's the Ronnie Hawkins
>written version.

Yes I wondered that too...anyone know?

>>1957 (Aug 5)
>>
>>Jimmy Bowen - Ever Since That Night (Roulette 4017)
>

>After "I'm Sticking...." he went straight downhill.

The guy was always crap then he went and became a producer or
something at Reprise

>>Jimmy Gavin - I Sit In My Window (Cameo 113)
>

>An obscure Cameo.

Somebody expected great things from this song since their are several
covers of which I *think* this is one (was'nt the original by Russ
Miller on VIP?)----our friends the Crew Cuts do a version too

>>The Ravens - That'll Be The Day (Argo 5276)
>

>So far the best record on the list. God I loved the Ravens, especially their
>later stuff on Jubilee, Argo and Top Rank.

The best case scenario I know of a great white rock 'n' roll number
being crucified by a DREADFUL black R&B cover. Abysmal!!!

>>Linda Hopkins - Shiver And Shake (Atco 6096)**
>

>Don't know this one either.

The flip was "Rock & Roll Blues" does that ring any bells?

>>1958 (Aug 4)

>>Ivan - Real Wild Child (Coral 62017)
>

>Great record. The follow-up is so overrated it's sickening. "Frankie..." is
>not that good.

And the record stems from the tour of Australia Buddy Holly & The
Crockets made where local star Johnny O'Keefe was on the bill and
regularly sang this,his hit song.

The song was'nt lost on the other star of the show either----Jerry Lee
Lewis cut his version of the number upon his return to America,a great
version which sadly sat in the can for years until issued on a later
LP (as "Wild One")

>>The Bobbettes - Um Bow Bow (Atlantic 1194)
>

>Got it, but don't think it's all that good.

I think this is my favorite Bobbettes record ahead of "Mr Lee"

>>Red & Blue - TV Baby (Herald 525)**
>

>Nothing in Tefteller on this one.

I think I read somewhere that this was somebody (or two somebodies?)
that were famous elsewhere??

>>1959 (Aug 3)

>>Buddy Holly - Peggy Sue Got Married (Coral 62134)
>

>Once went out with a girl named Peggy Sue and when she heard I collected old 45s
>asked me if I had the first one and when I told her I had this also, she
>couldn't believe there was another song with her name in the starring role.

One of the very best sequel songs---of course their was a version by
the post-Holly Crickets too

>>Ronnie Hawkins - Mary Lou (Roulette 4177)
>

>The famous original that was done "after" the stolen version by Young Jesse.

The current theory is that Ronnie Hawkins stole all the work that
Professor Stephen Hawking did on theoretical black holes (before
Hawking did it of course) and ,working in great secrecy constructed a
"wormhole" in Morris Levy's basement enabling him to go back and forth
in time to "lend "his originally written songs to earlier artists for
a suitable fee where he was "assisted" in collecting said fee by very
large friends of Levy..

I think they based that old James Darren "Time Tunnel" TV show on all
this

>>Mamie Van Doren - The Beat Generation (Dot 15970)
>

>Did it come with a picture sleeve?

There would'nt have been room to get them both in would there? LOL

The theme from her current flick that was done 1000 times better in
another version at the same time by Louis Armstrong on MGM

>>The Clovers - Love Potion No. 9 (United Artists 180)
>

>I guess this was the version without #10 being mentioned.

Yes it was---when exactly did that "#10" version first appear?

>>The Fireballs - Torquay (Top Rank 2008)
>

>Great, great, great, great record. I guess Chuck Tharp was still with them and
>Jimmy Gilmer wasn't?

Yes I never noticed till now that there are two records by essentially
the same act in this weeks list,something I normally try to avoid

>>1960 (Aug 1)
>>
>>Frank Sinatra - Nice 'N' Easy (Capitol 4408)
>

>From an album with the same name?

Yes and just about his best record from this period (along with "It's
Nice To Go Travellin'" but unlike over here,that was'nt a US single)

>>Sam Cooke - Chain Gang (RCA 7783)
>

>A far cry from the Bobby Scott song that had the same title. This was a good
>record.

I think this is a great Sam Cooke record and am always suprised it
does'nt seem that popular around here

>>The Piltdown Men - Brontosaurus Stomp (Capitol 4414)
>

>Just loved this one back then.

Lincoln Mayorga & Co....on this side of the pond the flip was a Top 20
hit "MacDonald's Cave"

>>Skeeter Davis - I Can't Help You (I'm Falling Too) (RCA 7767)
>

>From the answer record hall of fame.

I always thought she was "Marilyn Michaels" on the famous "Tell Tommy
I Miss Him" answer song---especially since that song appears in its
original version on a later Skeeter Davis LP but several current
writers have cast doubt on this

>>Ike & Tina Turner - A Fool In Love (Sue 730)
>

>Just loved this back then.

Absolute scorcher and the best record they ever made!!

>>1961 (Jul 31)
>>
>>Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby (Liberty 55354)
>

>Sort of so so.

Noit a bad Carole King song but would have been MUCH better had a
better singer been around to carry it---Gene Pitney for example?

>>Roy Orbison - Crying (Monument 447)
>

>Not my favorite by him.

I think this is a tremendous Orbison record up there on that same high
drama plateau with "Runnin' Scared"

>>Hank Locklin - You're The Reason (RCA 7921)
>

>Did the original to Skeeter's answer record this week.

Who did this song first? Locklin or Bobby Edwards?

>>Nino & The Ebb Tides - Juke Box Saturday Night (Madison 166)
>

>Nice record.

I prefer their version of "Those Oldies But Goodies" over that of
Little Caesar & The Romans

>>Billy Joe Tucker - Boogie Woogie Bill (Dot 16240)
>

>Uh, what's this?

Decent sub-Jerry Lee piano styled rocker that was the subject of a big
hoax way back when it was booted-----Mike Rascio had been feeling the
heat on some Columbia record he did and told the guy who wanted it
booted (real nice guy over here in England...you'd like him) that he
coul'dnt (or would'nt) do Dot....so a bogus "original label" for this
record was dreamed up....one that Dot *might* have leased the record
from....and so it came to pass that over a thousand copies of "Boogie
Woogie Bill" by Billy Joe Tucker came to be sold in Europe on the
"Maha" label.

Why Maha?

Next time you talk to him ask Val Shively.

"Maha" was his nickname for a friend of his from Engtland.

Maha-RAJAH geddit? :)

>>Aaron Neville - Let's Live (Minit 631)
>

>Why is this here?

Great record on Minit---you don't know it?

>>1962 (Aug 4)
>>
>>Rick Nelson - Teenage Idol (Imperial 5864)
>

>Not bad.

Disliked this intensely along with "Travellin Man" and "A Wonder Like
You", that trio of hits he had around this time that all sounded bland
and all sounded the same

>>Bobby Vinton - I Love You The Way You Are (Diamond 121)
>

>What's he doing on Diamond?

I think it was a demo he cut for somebody before "Roses Are Red"

>>Peter,Paul & Mary - If I Had A Hammer (Warner Bros 5296)
>

>Not bad.

I disliked them intensely and with very,very few exceptions I hated
the whole folk revival movement. I don't like this song much and if I
absolutely HAVE to listen to it I'll take Trini Lopez

>>Florraine Darlin - Long As The Rose Is Red (Epic 9529)
>

>I have this piece of junk

The original was bad enough but this answer record is worse if
anything

>>The Contours - Do You Love Me (Gordy 7005)
>

>One of the Motowns I liked.

GREAT record that was ruined in the terrible UK remakes by Brian Poole
& the Tremeloes and the Dave Clark Five. As long as dreadful records
like this exist then I'll go on knocking the limp British 60's beat
group cover/remakes

>>Jamie Horton - Only Forever (Joy 266)
>

>The girl that sang about Hippos and Marines. That's a wonderful picture.

And the girl that did the original of the decent "Robot Man" song that
Connie Francis took nearly to the top of the UK charts

>>1963 (Aug 3)
>>
>>Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs - Sugar Shack (Dot 16487)
>

>Mostly the same group from the Top Rank days????

I think the Fireballs were the same but they needed to lose Gilmer who
has nothing at all going for him on this piece of garbage that sold so
well it reached #1

>>Garnet Mimms & Enchanters - Cry Baby (United Artists 629)
>

>Okay, but not great.

I disagree---one of the records of the year!!!

>>The Raindrops - The Kind Of Boy You Can't Forget (Jubilee 5455)
>

>Just loved this one.

Ellie Greenwich moonlighting

>>OK awaiting the inevitable comments from sunny San Diego....:-)
>

>Sunny San Diego my foot. It's 20 below here. 20 below 100.

Snap!!!

You might have it slightly warmer but it was'nt far off 80 here
yesterday afternoon,expecting it to go the same today (as yet its only
830am)

Lots of questions and comments this week that I hope you (and others)
might have something to say about

So what are you waiting for?

Intheway1

Aug 2, 2004, 9:55:04 AM8/2/04
>>>Mr Sad Head - Black Diamond (RCA 5388)
>>
>>Looks like his last one of his four on RCA
>>
>Diane if you are reading this can you please remind me what this guy's
>real name was?

William Thomas.

>>>The Three Riffs - My Baby & A Lemon-n-Lime (Pic 0007)**
>>
>>Got to be more Jazz than anything else.
>>
>Kreiter does'nt show this at all and has nothing on this label either

If it's the same Three Riffs, they were a black vocal trio, originally from
Cleveland, who started in the late 30s, and did a lot of session work with
people like King Pleasure, Annie Ross and Joe Medlin as well as putting out
records under their own name through the 40s (and also as the Three Barons on
Savoy). I don't know this one, but their other stuff I know moves between jump
and be-bop.

Fred

Steve Solomon

Aug 2, 2004, 10:32:00 AM8/2/04
The Supremes - Tonight (Old Town 1024)

<<<<The first thing I did on my very first visit to New York City was to

demand my money back from Hy Weiss on this turkey
It's terrible!!!! >>>>

----------------
Are you serious? This made my Top Ten Vocal Group recordings of the
decade!!!

Steve Solomon

Steve Solomon

Aug 2, 2004, 10:47:36 AM8/2/04
Ray Anthony - Dragnet (Capitol 2562)

I may not have this one, but I do have "The Bunny Hop" by him.
One of the best TV themes ever----I mean those first four notes.....it
could'nt be anything else!! >>>>

--------------
But those aren't the most well known four notes. That honor goes to the
intro of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5

Steve Solomon

Steve Solomon

Aug 2, 2004, 10:40:50 AM8/2/04
OK awaiting the inevitable comments from sunny San Diego....:-)

Sunny San Diego my foot. It's 20 below here. 20 below 100.
Snap!!!

You might have it slightly warmer but it was'nt far off 80 here
yesterday afternoon,expecting it to go the same today (as yet its only
830am)

--------------
Yesterday, sunless San Francisco went all the way to 63. No problem; the
pool is heated to 82 degrees.

Steve Solomon

Steve Solomon

Aug 2, 2004, 10:55:09 AM8/2/04
My Reverie (MGM 11791)

Instrumental of the old standard done most notably in this period by The
Larks

-------------
Another in my Top Ten vocal group recordings of the decade. Find it
interesting that the original was a Classical piece by Debussy, which is
among the most sappy of them all. I recall playing the Lark's version in
a classical music group I used to belong to. Eveyone was mesmerized.
It's a masterpiece!

Steve Solomon

Roger Ford

Aug 2, 2004, 3:53:25 PM8/2/04
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 07:32:00 -0700, Stev...@webtv.net (Steve Solomon)
wrote:

>The Supremes - Tonight (Old Town 1024)
>
><<<<The first thing I did on my very first visit to New York City was to
>demand my money back from Hy Weiss on this turkey
>It's terrible!!!! >>>>
>----------------
>Are you serious?

You missed my last line when quoting me

"I mean...Diana Ross just does'nt sound herself at all here"

Is'nt it wonderful how humor travels? :)

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2004, 2:58:04 AM8/3/04
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 11:27:38 GMT, "DianeE"
<Tired...@SorryFolks.com> wrote:

>"Roger Ford" <mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> b) TWO of the records listed this week are famous answer songs to
>> hits that were made by two other artists,both of whom are also
>> represented here this week (albeit in other records).
>>
>> What are the songs,who were the original artists & what were the hits
>> they answered?
>-------------
>Oh boy! For once I know one of the answers.

I see Norm has gently (?) chided me today for not replying on the
teaser answers so here goes :-

>It doesn't quite make up for
>not having the Floyd Dixon or Clayton Love songs you haven't heard,
>but......oh well

How dare you not have these records!!.:)

>First, "I Can't Help You I'm Falling Too" by Skeeter Davis is an answer to
>"Please Help Me I'm Falling" by Hank Locklin.

Yes,SWkeeter made something of a career with "answer records" around
this time

>Second, "Long As The Rose Is Red" by Florraine Darlin is an answer to "Roses
>Are Red" by Bobby Vinton. (A particularly loathesome, treacly record in my
>humble opinion!)

Again,correct.

But which is the "loathesome, treacly record"? "Roses Are Red"? Or the
Florraine Darlin song?

Or both? :)

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2004, 3:16:07 AM8/3/04
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 08:27:40 -0700, Norm Katuna
<nk001atoperamaildotcom> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:13:59 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
><mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk>, wrote:
>

>>Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
>>not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
>>"Billboard" this week in......
>

>I will do these now, but it will be quite later for the usual suspects, I mean
>comments.

>>This weeks teaser (in three parts):-
>>
>>a) one of the songs listed was originally recorded by a top Australian
>>rock 'n' roll star.Who was he and what's the song?
>

>1958 (Aug 4)
>
>Ivan - Real Wild Child (Coral 62017) For double extra credit. Ivan was Jerry
>Allison of the Crickets.

Yes,correct

I believe his middle name was "Ivan" ----Coral wanted to put the
record out as by "Jerry Allison & The Crickets" (to maximise sales was
their reason) but Allison insisted they use the nom-de-record

>Johnny O'Keefe which was released in the US on Coral's sister label Brunswick.

>>b) TWO of the records listed this week are famous answer songs to
>>hits that were made by two other artists,both of whom are also
>>represented here this week (albeit in other records).
>

>Skeeter Davis - I Can't Help You (I'm Falling Too) (RCA 7767)
>

>Florraine Darlin - Long As The Rose Is Red (Epic 9529)
>

>>What are the songs,who were the original artists & what were the hits
>>they answered?
>

>Hank and Bobby and you know I know the songs.

And Diane does too...you're right but she was righter---since she
shows first on my server :)

>>c) An artist listed this week had already had a fairly substantial
>>recording career earlier under a completely different (but real)
>>name.No big hit records came of it but it produced one of the most
>>famous "bad" records of all time! Who is the artist & what was that
>>original recording name?
>

>Jamie Horton - Only Forever (Joy 266)

Completely straight pop but I always liked this one

>Gayla and her Peevy's

Ahhh....Gayla Peevey!! That was her real name I believe.

After the boy child star Jimmy Boyd sold a ton of records for Columbia
they frantically searched for a little girl version---Gayla Peevey was
the answer and tho her big record did'nt sell nearly as well as Boyd's
"I Saw Mommy..." hit it's still a famous record today

>>For maximum points name that most famous (but completely untimely in
>>the midfdle of summer :) "bad" record.
>

>Could it be, "My Little Marine". Nah, that can't be it. That's a bad record, but
>not as bad as wanting a Hippo for Xmas.

There is a whole webpage devoted solely to "I Want A Hippopotamus For
Chriastmas" (and its nearly as memorable flip "Are My Ears On
Straight") that has photos of both sides of the rare Columbia single
pic sleeve

http://soe.hyperchat.com/newchat/u/yummy/~soe/hippoFAQ.htm

BTW yep you were right Jamie Horton = Gayla Peevey!

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2004, 3:17:27 AM8/3/04
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:41:53 +0800, Frank Calabrese
<fra...@arach.net.au> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 08:27:40 -0700, Norm Katuna
><nk001atoperamaildotcom> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:13:59 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
>><mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk>, wrote:
>>

>>>Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
>>>not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
>>>"Billboard" this week in......
>>

>>I will do these now, but it will be quite later for the usual suspects, I mean
>>comments.
>>

>>>This weeks teaser (in three parts):-
>>>
>>>a) one of the songs listed was originally recorded by a top Australian
>>>rock 'n' roll star.Who was he and what's the song?
>>

>>1958 (Aug 4)
>>
>>Ivan - Real Wild Child (Coral 62017) For double extra credit. Ivan was Jerry
>>Allison of the Crickets.
>>

>>Johnny O'Keefe which was released in the US on Coral's sister label Brunswick.
>>

>And Johnny's Australian Record Company Festival, had the Australian
>Distribution rights to both Coral & Brunswick.

Frank on the ORIGINAL version of the O'Keefe record as released on
Festival in Australia how does the song title read?

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2004, 7:14:29 AM8/3/04
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 07:47:36 -0700, Stev...@webtv.net (Steve Solomon)
wrote:

>Ray Anthony - Dragnet (Capitol 2562)

Nah you just can't beat -

"DUHNG DUHNG (BOM BOM)
DUHNG DUHNG (BOM BOM)

The warden threw a party in the county jail..........."

Frank Calabrese

Aug 3, 2004, 7:31:54 AM8/3/04
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 07:17:27 GMT, Roger Ford
<mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Frank on the ORIGINAL version of the O'Keefe record as released on
>Festival in Australia how does the song title read?

It was a track lifted from the "Shakin' At The Stadium" EP which had
fake applause over the studio recording )(which on subsequent reissues
you can notice the abrupt cut off at the end) the title reads "Wild
One".

Frank

Roger Ford

Aug 3, 2004, 8:29:25 AM8/3/04

Ah so it WAS "Wild One"----and therefore when Jerry Lee did his
version he titled it correctly.

OK now I don't have the US version of the Aussie original by Johnny
O'Keefe to hand but on the UK copy on Coral the title is "Real Wild
Child" (no mention at all of "Wild One") and is credited to "Johnny
O'Keefe" (big letters) & The Dee Jays (small letters) which I *think*
(tho I stand to be corrected) is how it appears on US Brunswick

All I'm trying to discover here is WHO retitled the song "Real Wild
Child"? (I think it was Jerry Allison at his "Ivan" recording
session)

Thanks for bearing with me so far,now this is the chronology I have :-

PRE-JANUARY 30 1958

In Oz Johnny O'Keefe introduces "Wild One"

JAN 30 1958

Buddy Holly & The Crickets and Jerry Lee Lewis both headline a 7 day
tour of Oz on which O'Keefe is on the bill as the local artist.He
sings "Wild One" in his act each night his American co-stars take
notes

FEB 19 1958

Back in USA Jerry Allison records his version of the song that will be
released as "Real Wild Child" at Norman Petty Studios,Clovis NM.

Backed by Buddy Holly,Joe B. Maudlin etc

APR 21 1958

Jerry Lee Lewis records "Wild One" in Memphis for Sun

MAY (could be late April) 1958

Johnny O'Keefe's record is released in USA as "Real Wild Child" on
Brunswick 55067. BB review it May 12

JULY 1958

Ivan's "Real Wild Child" is issued in USA as Coral 62017

Johnny O'Keefe's "Real Wild Child" released on UK Coral 72330

OCTOBER 1958

Ivan's "Real Wild Child" released on UK Coral 72341

1974

Jerry Lee's "Wild One" finally sees release for the first time
anywhere on the UK LP "Rockin' And Free"

I'd graterful if anyone has further info on this song or anything to
add or correct or any other comments will post the same here

Frank Calabrese

Aug 3, 2004, 9:00:50 AM8/3/04
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:29:25 GMT, Roger Ford
<mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

Here is a page which has photos of ALL his EP releases here -
http://www.johnnyokeefe.net/discography/Eps/ausextenedplays.html

and from the Singles page there is this - 9-55067
Real Wild Child / Shake Baby Shake Brunswick 1958 * Promo

which means that outside of Australia it was re titled Real Wild
Child.

More info you can find at -
http://www.johnnyokeefe.net/discography/discogmain.html

Hope that helps

Frank

Roger Ford

Aug 4, 2004, 2:15:08 AM8/4/04
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:00:50 +0800, Frank Calabrese
<fra...@arach.net.au> wrote:

And then of course much later there was Iggy Pop who also did the
song......

Here's how I rate my favorite versions of the song

1. Jerry Lee Lewis
2. Johnny O'Keefe
3. Ivan

Ivan's follow up on Coral was the dreadful "Frankie Frankenstein" but
I believe the flip of that single---"That'll Be Alright"----was also
an original Johnny O'Keefe song that he picked up on.,right?

Anyway thanks for the nice info,Frank!!

Frank Calabrese

Aug 4, 2004, 3:26:58 AM8/4/04
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 06:15:08 GMT, Roger Ford

>And then of course much later there was Iggy Pop who also did the
>song......

And Ironically, The Iggy Pop Version is used by the Australian ABC as
the theme for it's Youth Video Show called Rage which is a natural
progression from Johnny's Six O'clock Rock TV show from the 50's .

Info on Rage can be found at www.abc.net.au/rage

>Here's how I rate my favorite versions of the song
>
>1. Jerry Lee Lewis
>2. Johnny O'Keefe
>3. Ivan
>
>Ivan's follow up on Coral was the dreadful "Frankie Frankenstein" but
>I believe the flip of that single---"That'll Be Alright"----was also
>an original Johnny O'Keefe song that he picked up on.,right?

Correct :-)

>Anyway thanks for the nice info,Frank!!

No probs :-)

Robert J. Boyne

Aug 8, 2004, 1:25:28 AM8/8/04
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 07:16:07 GMT, Roger Ford
<mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 08:27:40 -0700, Norm Katuna
><nk001atoperamaildotcom> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:13:59 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
>><mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk>, wrote:
>
>>1958 (Aug 4)
>>
>>Ivan - Real Wild Child (Coral 62017) For double extra credit. Ivan was Jerry
>>Allison of the Crickets.
>>
>Yes,correct
>
>I believe his middle name was "Ivan" ----Coral wanted to put the
>record out as by "Jerry Allison & The Crickets" (to maximise sales was
>their reason) but Allison insisted they use the nom-de-record

What was the b-side?

I seem to remember that it featured what sounded like milk bottles in
the break.

"You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby" maybe?

>ROGER FORD
************************************

Robert J.
--
Robert J. Boyne.Sutton Group West Coast Realty.North Vancouver/British Columbia.Cell. 604-644-6973.
" I have the good sense to know that unheard songs are often sweeter".

Roger Ford

Aug 8, 2004, 3:32:40 AM8/8/04
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 05:25:28 GMT, Robert J. Boyne <rjb...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 07:16:07 GMT, Roger Ford
><mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 08:27:40 -0700, Norm Katuna
>><nk001atoperamaildotcom> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:13:59 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
>>><mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk>, wrote:
>>
>>>1958 (Aug 4)
>>>
>>>Ivan - Real Wild Child (Coral 62017) For double extra credit. Ivan was Jerry
>>>Allison of the Crickets.
>>>
>>Yes,correct
>>
>>I believe his middle name was "Ivan" ----Coral wanted to put the
>>record out as by "Jerry Allison & The Crickets" (to maximise sales was
>>their reason) but Allison insisted they use the nom-de-record
>
>What was the b-side?
>
>I seem to remember that it featured what sounded like milk bottles in
>the break.
>
>"You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby" maybe?

It was "Oh You Beautiful Doll"

Robert J. Boyne

Aug 10, 2004, 12:30:30 AM8/10/04
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:29:25 GMT, Roger Ford
<mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:31:54 +0800, Frank Calabrese
><fra...@arach.net.au> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 07:17:27 GMT, Roger Ford
>><mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>1974
>
>Jerry Lee's "Wild One" finally sees release for the first time
>anywhere on the UK LP "Rockin' And Free"
>
>I'd graterful if anyone has further info on this song or anything to
>add or correct or any other comments will post the same here

I am very fond of the vesion by Iggy Pop, although out of time for
this n/g.

>ROGER FORD

SavoyBG

Aug 10, 2004, 12:37:47 AM8/10/04
>From: Robert J. Boyne

>I am very fond of the vesion by Iggy Pop, although out of time for
>this n/g.

Yes it's good, I used to play it in the clubs when I was DJing.

MY LISTS - http://hometown.aol.com/savoybg/myhomepage/index.html
SURVEYS - http://hometown.aol.com/savoybg1/myhomepage/index.html

Robert J. Boyne

Aug 10, 2004, 3:51:56 AM8/10/04
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 07:32:40 GMT, Roger Ford
<mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 05:25:28 GMT, Robert J. Boyne <rjb...@shaw.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 07:16:07 GMT, Roger Ford
>><mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Yes,correct
>>>
>>>I believe his middle name was "Ivan" ----Coral wanted to put the
>>>record out as by "Jerry Allison & The Crickets" (to maximise sales was
>>>their reason) but Allison insisted they use the nom-de-record
>>
>>What was the b-side?
>>
>>I seem to remember that it featured what sounded like milk bottles in
>>the break.
>>
>>"You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby" maybe?
>>
>It was "Oh You Beautiful Doll"
>
>ROGER FORD

Thanks, yes that's it I haven't heard it since the record booth in the
shop at the time that it was released.