Re-issue/re-release/etc

1 view

Crazy Charlie

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99
As usual, I missed the original post on "prime release". Although I don't
use this term, I don't see anything wrong with it. It would be used to
define which release saw the bulk of the sales.
HOWEVER,
you could still identify the record otherwise:

"Song A" released on label ABCD
"Song A" re-released on label EFGH (picked up master from ABCD)
bulk of sales on this label
"Song A" re-pressed on label EFGH with different logo during the popularity
of song (a 2nd press)
"Song A" re-released on label EFGH with same catalog number 2 years
later(can be referred to as a "re-release" or 2nd/3rd pressing)
"Song A" re-issued on label EFGH on EFGH's re-sissue series
"Song A" re-issued on label IJKL (an oldies re-issue label)

"Prime release" could be used for item 2
The term "original" can be used for either item 1 or 2,
as the absolute "original" for item 1, or the "original" pressing on EFGH
for item 2

I suppose you could also say the orignal MAJOR-LABEL release for Item 2,
assuming Item 1 was a small independent label. Not ALWAYS the case. There
are label name changes with continuing sequence numbers: ARGO-CADET,
there are label acquisition and numbering changes: STAX (Atlantic)-STAX(G
&W), there are absorbsions (sp?) - DECCA, KAPP, UNI, and others all
absorbed under the MCA banner, and many other examples.
--
CRAZ...@USHY1.COM
creator of MEGA-GUIDE TO SINGLES (400,000+ entries)