Rock and Roll before the 50s

RWC

Sep 16, 2021, 1:58:36 PM9/16/21

countless snippets, within 16 minutes, for your consideration
as to whether each song (starting 1927) is indeed rock and roll

a great YouTube post (by Silvan Spektor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_lqJk5JzeA

it just happens to reveal these early *white* "rock" numbers:

Hartman's Heartbreakers - It Feels So Good - 1936

Claude Casey and the Pine State Playboys - Pine State Honky Tonk -
1938

and, the 1939 Buddy Jones song I recently posted -
*before* I discovered this YouTube post by Silvan

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2021, 5:21:00 PM9/16/21
This one is really good and I did not know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bB7z7Wkaug

Looks like it was recorded in late 1945 but not released until May 1948.

md

Sep 16, 2021, 10:54:24 PM9/16/21
Great find. Truly excellent record. Thanks. And if Dupree was doing this in
1945, then rock'n'roll may have been around a whole lot earlier than most
people think.

--md

remove "xx" from address

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2021, 11:05:35 PM9/16/21
Samp did not review it, he likely will say that it's blues.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2021, 11:08:05 PM9/16/21
On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 10:54:24 PM UTC-4, md wrote:
That guitar is Brownie McGhee. I am nominating it for October.

Roger Ford

Sep 17, 2021, 4:57:03 AM9/17/21
I can but echo Mark's remarks---it's an excellent recording that I
wasn't familar with either and all being well I look forward to voting
for it wherever possible in the next tournament.

Just filling in a snippet of info now----I see Leadbitter lists it in
"Blues Records" it is indeed recorded in NYC in 1945 and released on
Don Gabor's Continental label # 6065 in May 1948.(b/w "Hard Feeling")
Brownie McGhee (gtr) Count Edmonson (bs)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/jack-dupree-trio/lets-have-a-ball-hard-feeling.p/

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

RWC

Sep 17, 2021, 10:52:32 AM9/17/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 14:20:59 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>This one is really good and I did not know it.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bB7z7Wkaug

No longer available.

This the first link I came across that works:
(Champion) Jack Dupree Trio - Let's Have A Ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8KSkn3FE_A