Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

5-24-23 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - JUNE 19, 1954

閲覧: 21 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Bruce

未読、
2023/05/24 12:44:002023/05/24
To:
JUNE 19, 1954

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1954/CB-1954-06-19.pdf

THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEEK

LES PAUL & MARY FORD (Capitol 2839 F-2839)

"I'm A Fool To Care" (2:53)
"Auctioneer" (2:18)

Perennial favorites Les Paul and Mary Ford continue to turn out potential hit material as they offer their latest release. With Les’ ace guitar work in the backdrop, Mary Ford melts through a sentimental ballad in her warm
appealing manner. It’s a terrific number dubbed “I’m A Fool To Care.” Number has a good bluesy quality. “Auctioneer” stars the talented thrush with a top job of multiple voicing. Beautiful tune with a soft Latin tempo. A powerful two-sided contender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdivTP_GJPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W7-DH9wHJg

VAUGHN MONROE (RCA Victor 20-5767; 47-5767)

“THEY WERE DOIN’ THE MAMBO” (2:50) [E. H. Morris ASCAP—Raye]
Vaughn Monroe has a potent and very commercial piece of wax in this amusing novelty sung in the crooner’s appealing manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9kkVo7h0X8

"MISTER SANDMAN" (2:22) [E. H. Morris ASCAP—Ballard]
An inviting lilter is the material that Vaughn fashions on the bottom portion. Ok side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6mIvVcnwM

THE GAYLORDS (Mercury 70403; 70403 x 45)

“THE LITTLE SHOEMAKER” (2:14) [Bourne ASCAP—Revil, Parsons, Turner]
“MECQUE MECQUE” (1:57) [B & F Music BMI—Paul]

“The Little Shoemaker” a sparkling new and most colorful novelty, that has all the earmarks of a smash success, is fashioned in a delightful manner by the voices of the Gaylords. A thoroughly commercial deck delivered in English and Italian, a gimmick that has made the Gaylords one of waxdom’s top groups. Looks like another real big one for the boys. “Mecque Mecque” is another cute ditty with a Latin beat that’s sure to garner coin and applause for the trio. “Shoemaker” sounds terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl8pZuwWA5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l52RTPuHttc

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

THE CREW-CUTS (Mercury 70404; 70404x45)

“SH-BOOM” (2:43) [Progressive BMI Keyes, Feaster, McRae, Edwards]
“I SPOKE TOO SOON” (2:11) [Weiss & Barry BMI—Sims, Cosloff]

The Crew-Cuts, one of the hottest up and coming vocal groups, have in their latest release a platter that will establish them in the top name class. Currently riding high with their “Crazy ’Bout You Baby” the boys jump on a
current clicker issued on a blues label. It’s a sensational novelty jump called “Sh-Boom.” On this platter the boys demonstrate their great sound and commercial technique, with this top drawer material. We can’t see how
“Sh-Boom” could miss the top ten. “I Spoke Too Soon,” a pretty ballad, is the coupling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjl7xtoFp0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfssR7bjQWQ

ROSEMARY CLOONEY (Columbia 40266; 4-40266)

“HEY THERE” (2:57) [Frank ASCAP—Adler, Ross]
“THIS OLE HOUSE” (2:18) [Hamblen BMI—Hamblen]

“Hey There,” the big love song from Broadway’s biggest musical “The Pajama Game,” is given a sensational commercial delivery by Rosemary Clooney. Aided by Buddy Cole and his orchestra, Rosemary offers the tune in her
meaningful sincere manner. Everyone who saw the show was singing the song. It’s a beautiful item that could be an all out pop hit. One of the best ballad’s we’ve heard in a while and Rosey’s best in a long time. “This Ole House” is a catchy cornball bounce novelty that makes a good coupling. Watch the top half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBzeKRZhuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOOHhRh09s

THE SULTANS (Duke 125)

“HOW DEEP IS THE OCEAN” (2:40)
The Sultans come up with a delicate treatment of the lovely ballad. Lead voice handles his chores beautifully. This deck should take off in strong style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQJ_BZmNNnU

“GOOD THING BABY” (2:36) [Lion BMI—Phyllis Otis]
The boys rock through a quick beat jump ditty with romantic lyrics. Orking takes off on a wild kick in the breaks. Deck has a good beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrAk6BYeNw

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

DANNY OVERBEA (Checker 796)

“YOU’RE MINE” (2:40) [Arc BMI—Overbea]
“ROAMIN’ MAN” (2:43) [Arc BMI—Overbea]

Danny Overbea, who stirred things up with his “40 Cups of Coffee,” is back again with what looks like another hit. In “You're Mine,” Danny really lets go and sings. Danny is big voice as he waxes a tune that could follow the
pattern set by Roy Hamilton. The tune is a tender love melody dramatically portrayed. It could go in both r & b and pop. A delectable item that we forecast will excite the market. The under lid, “Roamin’ Man” is in strict rhythm and blues vein and Danny sings it with much feeling and in good voice. This could be the side for the r & b fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldCVjTgU4TI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3FYMz4_5R0

THE SCARLETS (Red Robin 128)

“DEAR ONE” (3:04) [Bob-Dan BMI—F. Parris]
“I’VE LOST” (2:41) [Bob-Dan BMI—F. Parris]

The Scarlets, a new group, come up with a beat and sound that bids fair to hit first time out. The tune, “Dear One,” has already been heard from in New York and Los Angeles. Romantic lyrics are projected by the group with a
feeling and the falsetto wail gives the group a different enough sound to make it distinctive. Disk should make enough noise to go up in the charts. The flip, ‘I’ve Lost,” is slow romantic ballad sweetly chanted by The Scarlets.
Its tender feel will make it strong wax for the moonstruck buyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujlJtOZlLyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnHgP3fSx_Y

OTIS BLACKWELL (Jay-Dee 792)

“NOBODY MET THE TRAIN” (2:35) [Laurel ASCAP — Benjamin, Weiss, Dash, Croy]
Otis Blackwell sings the folk-flavored blues with much feeling. A plaintive wail of a good piece of material that could catch on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loRS_3Kh3Uo

“I’M STANDING AT THE DOORWAY TO YOUR HEART” (2:20) [Beacon BMI — Blackwell]
Blackwell delivers a romantic bounce in gay style and the lively ditty comes through as a lilting piece of wax. A light effort easy to take. A good warm weather item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--n65XvpY4E

THE THREE BARS (Fiesta 20-034)

“IT AIN’T NECESSARILY SO” (2:45) [George & Ira Gershwin]
The Three Bars, a guitar, piano and bass, work out an infectiously good sound as they give the Gershwin standard a Latin treatment. Makes both good listening and good mambo dance music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McImNKvlsx4

“KICKIN’ THE MAMBO” (2:46) [Pemora Music BMI — Roberts, Gropper, and Darling]
The instrumental trio work up a quick beat which again emphasizes the sound they can produce. Guitarist is a standout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUO-xWjLfQ

SILVERTONE SINGERS OF CINCINNATI (Excello 2034)

“RUN ON TO THE END” (3:01)
The Silvertone Singers collaborate on a rhythmic slow religious etching and the effect is powerful. The lead sings up a frenzy and will excite his audience. Strong religious etching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDbNvxokeHs

“WAY BYE AND BYE” (2:48)
The flip is another slow gospel tune presented in similar fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqlGIYSbQs

THE WALDO SINGERS (Excello 2036)

“JUST TELL JESUS”
The Waldo Singers perform a slow tempo gospel tune in tender fashion. Male and fem voices blend well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeR9Dzvjqk4

“TRUST HIM TODAY”
Similar side effectively presented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwXAQWXa1KY

LOUIS CAMPBELL (Excello 2035)

“GOTTA HAVE YOU BABY” (2:44)
Louis Campbell sings a middle tempo rhythmic blues in which he captures the true blues feeling. Sings about the woman he loves and pleads with her not to leave him. A strong southern piece of wax with small instrumental
backing performing potently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmSe7oXBEU

“THE NATURAL FACTS” (2:28)
A slow country blues effectively presented, but just falling short of the upper deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSLDqd4uQXk

ROBERT DUNBAR (J. O. B. 1104)

“NUMBER ONE BABY” (2:47) [Lawn BMI—R. Dunbar]
Robert Dunbar sings a happy bounce with the vocal support of the Eagle-Aires. A foot tapping bouncer in the vein of the “cat” crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJY72fNawNI

“CLOUDY WEATHER” (2:40) [Lawn BMI—Clark]
Dunbar and the Eagle-Aires come up with a slow blues. Effort is hurt by a poor pressing.

THE CASH BOX RHYTHM 'N BLUES
SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

BEULAH SWAN (Bethlehem 1296)

“DON’T STEAL MY HEART” (1:50) [Raleigh BMI—London Chase]
“HIP SHAKIN’ MAMA” (2:08) [Blue Ridge BMI—Chubby Newsome]

Beulah Swan is the latest entry in the school of belting mamas. The young stylist socks out a quick beat bouncer, “Don’t Steal My Heart,” against a rocking ork support and the result is a wax that could break and establish the chantress first time out. Miss Swan gives an energetic performance pitching vocal flips in an engaging manner. Sy Oliver lends a couple of arranging tricks to the orking that spice up the plate. Altogether, a goodie. The flip, “Hip Shakin’ Mama,” is a slow blues. It’s “Don’t Steal My Heart.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPcdNA_K9Ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN02o8ce4Os

ZILLA MAYS (Brunswick 84031)

“WHY DO YOU CRY” (3:03) [Forshay Music BMI — Mays, Peek]
Zilla Mays sings a slow tempo blues with sad romantic lyrics. Gal can feel a tune and she projects in good style.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riURqa3-3Ao

“NITE SHIFT BLUES” (2:32) [Forshay Music BMI — Mays, Peek]
Rocking type of material such as this brings out the best in Zilla. Chantress has the blues on this deck as she sings of her daddy, who when he comes home from the job is too tired to do anything by sleep.

BOBBY MITCHELL (Imperial 683)

“SCHOOL BOY BLUES” (2:35) [Commodore BMI — A. Smith]
Bobby Mitchell sings a slow southern blues about his gal for whom he has a grand pash, but she tells him he’s only a school boy.

“ANGEL CHILD” (2:30) [Commodore BMI—J. Butler]
Mitchell sings a slow blues. His gal has been cheating on him. She told him she loved him but left him in misery. The better side.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHa-iAbrw6o

THE CASH BOX BULLSEYE OF THE WEEK

JOHNNIE AND JACK (RCA Victor 20-5775)

“GOODNIGHT, SWEETHEART, GOODNIGHT” (2:11) [Arc BMI—Carter, Hudson]
“HONEY, I NEED YOU” (2:09) [Hill & Range BMI—J. Wright, Jack Anglin, Jim Anglin]

On their last release, Johnnie and Jack took “I Get So Lonely” from the pop field and made it an immediate country success. Now the boys turn to a tune that’s creating a lot of excitement in rhythm & blues as well as the pop market and it looks like they’re gonna make it two in a row. They come up with a socko rendition of a moderate beat ditty dubbed “Goodnight, Sweetheart Goodnight.” The bottom deck features the “Tennessee Mountain Boys” on a quick paced, romantic tune, titled “Honey, I need You,” It’s the top half for quick action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrLRdb8N9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUCu93t6tG8

MARTY ROBBINS (Columbia 21246)

“PRETTY WORDS” (2:32) [Acuff-Rose BMI—Robbins]
Marty Robbins offers a first quality reading on a quick tempo sentimental piece. A great job loaded with feeling and personality. Watch this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxJ9BBlxIiE

“YOUR HEART’S TURN TO BREAK” (2:42) [Acuff-Rose BMI—Robbins]
On the lower lid Robbins tearfully warbles a middle tempo tune with sad lyrics. Both ends have big hit possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvmHZnl0JZc

GEORGE JONES — SONNY BURNS (Starday 146)

“WRONG ABOUT YOU” (2:30) [Starrite BMI—G. Jones]
George Jones delivers a solo vocal effort in some real pleasing harmony as they come up with a heart-rending, middle tempo romantic lament. Strings back the two in eloquent style.

“PLAY IT COOL MAN—PLAY IT COOL” (2:38) [Starrite BMI G. Jones]
On the flip side, George Jones delivers a solo vocal effort in delectable fashion. A quick beat ditty with inviting lyrics.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSkid70FBCA

新着メール 0 件