MP3 (1954 R&B) Eagles - Trying To Get To You

Bob Moke

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Just posted to absm1950s:

64/44 mono, from the VA CD "Mercury R+B ‘46-’62"

Trying To Get To You - Eagles 1954

Very few "children of the fifties" are unfamiliar with this song.

Though this version (released 5/54) made little impact overall, it
obviously was known to at least one person connected with Elvis’
7/11/55 session at Sun. If only for the reason that it inspired one
of the King’s greatest early efforts, this original is of interest.

Nice recording that it is, it’s not that difficult to understand why
it was lost in the shuffle during that summer of the much more
dynamic new style of R&B, represented by the likes of "Sh-Boom," "Work
With Me Annie," "Shake Rattle & Roll," and "Honey Love."

Bob Moke

Steve Mc

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <37898c71...@news.mindspring.com>, musi...@mindspring.com
(Bob Moke) writes:

Thanks for the post. 3 things jumped out at me right away. First, Elvis copied
the vocals virtually note for note, even the tricky little warbles @ 0:58 &
2:12, though Elvis does posess the more interesting voice. Second, based in the
above, I wasn't expecting the sax. Duh ! Third, Definitely an R&B, but much
more of a country feel to it in Elvis' version, mostly due to Scotty's guitar
work, especially in the guitar for sax solo.
Elvis' version is still one of my favorites, but this, imo, is an important
historical song/post. Thanks again.

Steve Mc
Please remove ma to respond.

Roger Ford

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 06:37:21 GMT, musi...@mindspring.com (Bob Moke)
wrote:

>Just posted to absm1950s:
>
>64/44 mono, from the VA CD "Mercury R+B ‘46-’62"
>
>Trying To Get To You - Eagles 1954
>
>Very few "children of the fifties" are unfamiliar with this song.
>
>Though this version (released 5/54) made little impact overall, it
>obviously was known to at least one person connected with Elvis’
>7/11/55 session at Sun. If only for the reason that it inspired one
>of the King’s greatest early efforts, this original is of interest.
>
>Nice recording that it is, it’s not that difficult to understand why
>it was lost in the shuffle during that summer of the much more
>dynamic new style of R&B, represented by the likes of "Sh-Boom," "Work
>With Me Annie," "Shake Rattle & Roll," and "Honey Love."

Well it sure sounds different to "Hotel California"!!!!! ;-) LOL

Sorry Bob but this is another of those numbers where the Elvis remake
is simply on another planet.

I used to have this on 45----it was always a good song but the
treatment here is so-so,nothing too exciting (the sax break is the
best thing it has going for it) and it is'nt hard to see why it got
"lost in the shuffle" was you say.

Elvis first recorded this for Sun in February 1955---at what must rank
at one of his greatest recording sessions EVER!!---the one whence came
"Baby Let's Play House" and "Mystery Train".I have it noted that "I
Got A Woman" was cut at this session too but like the original "Tryin'
To Get To You" cut this must be presumed lost.

The issued Elvis cut of "Tryin' To Get To You" is,of course,from the
July 1955 session and in Elvis' hands the song becomes a veritable
masterpiece---one of my favorites by him.

Another good version of this number was recorded in late 1955 by none
other than Roy Orbison for Je-Wel Records (which has recently been
posted here too---see elsewhere for Norm's "Weldon Rogers" mp3
thread :-)

ROGER FORD

NOTE! SPAM FREE ZONE! In an attempt to stop robot spamming I've added an extra "d" in my e-mail
address (mari...@ddircon.co.uk).Please remove same to respond,thanks!