REVIEW - Ivory Joe Hunter: "Don't You Believe Her" - MGM 10818; OCTOBER 1950

DianeE

Sep 6, 2021, 11:01:11 AM9/6/21

DianeE

Sep 6, 2021, 11:05:05 AM9/6/21
----------
This is a pretty decent B-side of "It's A Sin," and gets a high 5 from me.

Roger Ford

Sep 6, 2021, 11:11:41 AM9/6/21
On Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:01:09 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:

>https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/ivory-joe-hunter-dont-you-believe-her-mgm-10818/
>

>NOT ON YOUTUBE

I see it on YouTube in no less than THIRTEEN different postings!!!

And EVERY ONE of these is blocked in USA?? (Yes,I think they are
judging by the extremely sparse viewing figures tho the record itself
deserves no less)

>but it can be heard here:
>https://archive.org/details/78_dont-you-believe-her_ivory-joe-hunter-hunter_gbia0072771b
>

>SPONTANEOUS LUNACY VERDICT 3/10

For once Samp is pretty much on the money!

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 6, 2021, 11:21:45 AM9/6/21
On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 11:11:41 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:01:09 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
> >https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/ivory-joe-hunter-dont-you-believe-her-mgm-10818/
> >

> >NOT ON YOUTUBE
> I see it on YouTube in no less than THIRTEEN different postings!!!
>
> And EVERY ONE of these is blocked in USA?? (Yes,I think they are
> judging by the extremely sparse viewing figures tho the record itself
> deserves no less)
> >but it can be heard here:
> >https://archive.org/details/78_dont-you-believe-her_ivory-joe-hunter-hunter_gbia0072771b
> >

> >SPONTANEOUS LUNACY VERDICT 3/10
> For once Samp is pretty much on the money!

I'm with Diane, at least a 5, maybe a 6.

RWC

Sep 6, 2021, 12:44:06 PM9/6/21
On Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:05:03 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:

>On 9/6/2021 11:01 AM, DianeE wrote:
>> https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/ivory-joe-hunter-dont-you-believe-her-mgm-10818/

>> NOT ON YOUTUBE
>> but it can be heard here:
>> https://archive.org/details/78_dont-you-believe-her_ivory-joe-hunter-hunter_gbia0072771b

thanks for the link; a charming record overall, impressive piano
break, pleasant and befitting orchestral backing, with a pleasing
vocal that somehow combines mellowness with vitality

6/10

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2021, 9:53:13 AM9/13/21
Don't remember what thread it was talking about Samp reviewing country style rock and roll, but in today's review he says...

Country music, as we’ve mentioned plenty of times to date, had absolutely nothing to do with rock ‘n’ roll’s birth or its original seismic creative evolution. It really wasn’t until more white acts like Bill Haley and the rockabillies from Sun Records came along in the mid-1950’s, and then culminating with The Everly Brothers ascendancy in 1957 that strong country elements began to be incorporated into the ever broadening description of rock music.

DianeE

Sep 13, 2021, 10:20:22 AM9/13/21
On 9/13/2021 9:53 AM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Don't remember what thread it was talking about Samp reviewing country style rock and roll, but in today's review he says...
>

> Country music, as we’ve mentioned plenty of times to date, had absolutely nothing to do with rock ‘n’ roll’s birth or its original seismic creative evolution. It really wasn’t until more white acts like Bill Haley and the rockabillies from Sun Records came along in the mid-1950’s, and then culminating with The Everly Brothers ascendancy in 1957 that strong country elements began to be incorporated into the ever broadening description of rock music.

--------------
He's wrong.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2021, 10:48:09 AM9/13/21
So which country artists/songs had an effect on Roy Brown's "Good Rockin' Tonight?"

DianeE

Sep 13, 2021, 1:15:55 PM9/13/21
----------
That quote wasn't about one specific song, it was about "rock 'n'
roll's...creative evolution." As you know, Roy Brown eventually made
some rockabilly records, so clearly it had an effect on *him* as an
artist.
I have often mentioned the back-and-forth that went on between country
and blues artists in the 1920s and 30s. Country musicians adopted the
African instrument, the banjo; blues and jazz musicians adopted guitars
and fiddles.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2021, 1:56:21 PM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 1:15:55 PM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
> On 9/13/2021 10:48 AM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> >> --------------
> >> He's wrong.
> >
> > So which country artists/songs had an effect on Roy Brown's "Good Rockin' Tonight?"
> >
> ----------
> That quote wasn't about one specific song, it was about "rock 'n'
> roll's...creative evolution." As you know, Roy Brown eventually made
> some rockabilly records, so clearly it had an effect on *him* as an
> artist.

But did country have effect on him by 1947, or did the effect come after he heard rockabilly in 1955 and 1956?

Samp is saying that country had no effect on rock ‘n’ roll’s birth or its original seismic creative evolution, which he would put from like 1947-1950 or so, I believe.

Rink

Oct 17, 2021, 6:06:57 PM10/17/21
Op 6-9-2021 om 17:11 schreef Roger Ford:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:01:09 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
>> https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/ivory-joe-hunter-dont-you-believe-her-mgm-10818/
>>

>> NOT ON YOUTUBE
>
> I see it on YouTube in no less than THIRTEEN different postings!!!
>
> And EVERY ONE of these is blocked in USA?? (Yes,I think they are
> judging by the extremely sparse viewing figures tho the record itself
> deserves no less)
>
>> but it can be heard here:
>> https://archive.org/details/78_dont-you-believe-her_ivory-joe-hunter-hunter_gbia0072771b
>>

>> SPONTANEOUS LUNACY VERDICT 3/10

14 postings here.
Some of them are never listened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0XmLtncwvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RxnQ4zlwdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk3XjOacAaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYashKoKDok

etc...

The joke:
In 1967 he recorded: "Don't you believe him"
(Yes: him, not her)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai2ulZJ2kK8

<https://www.discogs.com/master/746806-Ivory-Joe-Hunter-Dont-You-Believe-Him>

Rink

Roger Ford

Oct 17, 2021, 11:08:56 PM10/17/21
Where is "here"?

DianeE

Oct 18, 2021, 9:08:38 AM10/18/21
Looks like Netherlands.

Rink

Oct 25, 2021, 3:36:36 PM10/25/21
Op 18-10-2021 om 15:08 schreef DianeE:
Correct, I see 14 postings on YouTube here in The Netherlands.

Rink