Bruce's observations - July 2021

DianeE

Jul 1, 2021, 12:09:09 AM7/1/21
New month, new thread. Anyone else who wants a new thread but can't
start one, let me know and I'll get it going for you.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 6, 2021, 9:34:58 PM7/6/21

DianeE

Jul 6, 2021, 10:01:35 PM7/6/21
On 7/6/2021 9:34 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Gospel Killer
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imox3MncpT8

--------------
Why didn't they just sing the regular lyrics to "Crying In The Chapel?"

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 8, 2021, 11:55:04 AM7/8/21

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 10, 2021, 7:19:50 PM7/10/21
On Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 11:55:04 AM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> Roger, can't you get your thugs to behave?

England fined £25k for use of laser pointer, booing Denmark anthem

https://www.aol.co.uk/sport/soccer-england-fined-30-000-114115060-203210328.html

Roger Ford

Jul 11, 2021, 8:14:35 AM7/11/21
On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 16:19:49 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 11:55:04 AM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Roger, can't you get your thugs to behave?=20
>
>England fined =C2=A325k for use of laser pointer, booing Denmark anthem
>
>https://www.aol.co.uk/sport/soccer-england-fined-30-000-114115060-203210328=
>.html

For the record I think whoever used that laser pen on Kasper deserves
to be jailed and that booing an opponents national anthem is totally
disrespectful and to be abhorred..

But its always nice to have these things pointed out by a native of
that crime-free nation across the Atlantic where everyone lives
happily in perfect peaceful harmony

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 12, 2021, 11:13:08 PM7/12/21
Never heard this answer record before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SReJwExKpaw

DianeE

Jul 13, 2021, 1:12:19 AM7/13/21
On 7/12/2021 11:13 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Never heard this answer record before:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SReJwExKpaw

-----------
20 seconds was all I could stand, but I have never been able to tolerate
this artist. Her voice makes my skin crawl.

Rick Schubert

Jul 13, 2021, 1:18:57 AM7/13/21
On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:13:07 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Never heard this answer record before:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SReJwExKpaw

I assume you've heard this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utsUL1Wrqeg

Dennis C from Tennessee

Jul 13, 2021, 8:19:36 AM7/13/21
Can't listen to Nina Simone without having to swab my ears with Sensodyne!!

A most wretched songstress!

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2021, 9:02:03 AM7/13/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 1:18:57 AM UTC-4, Rick Schubert wrote:
Of course, it was a hit.

Roger Ford

Jul 13, 2021, 9:30:04 AM7/13/21
She's too jazzy for me most of the time but as with most other artists
there is always at least the ONE record by them that I like

And I lkes "I Loves You Porgy"

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2021, 9:37:00 AM7/13/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 9:30:04 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 05:19:35 -0700 (PDT), Dennis C from Tennessee
> <dennis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I assume you've heard this one:
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utsUL1Wrqeg
> >Can't listen to Nina Simone without having to swab my ears with Sensodyne!!
> >
> >A most wretched songstress!
> She's too jazzy for me most of the time but as with most other artists
> there is always at least the ONE record by them that I like
>
> And I lkes "I Loves You Porgy"

Not this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bccOfePKVc

Roger Ford

Jul 13, 2021, 10:21:53 AM7/13/21
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 06:36:59 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 9:30:04 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 05:19:35 -0700 (PDT), Dennis C from Tennessee
>> <dennis...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Can't listen to Nina Simone without having to swab my ears with Sensodyne!!
>> >
>> >A most wretched songstress!
>> She's too jazzy for me most of the time but as with most other artists
>> there is always at least the ONE record by them that I like
>>
>> And I lkes "I Loves You Porgy"
>
>Not this one?
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bccOfePKVc

Again from the "Little Girl Blue" album

Its OK I guess but I'm not a huge fan of the song itself--tho many of
my countrymen disagreed enough to rocket Nina's version into the Top 5
here in 1987 after it got huge exposure when used in a Chanel perfume
TV ad

Jim Colegrove

Jul 13, 2021, 12:01:21 PM7/13/21
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 05:19:35 -0700 (PDT), Dennis C from Tennessee
<dennis...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just watched her in the "Summer of Soul" documentary. She and her
group did a terrific show IMO.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2021, 3:25:05 PM7/13/21
Does this remind you of another record?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIIDyHihPG8

Dean F.

Jul 13, 2021, 5:09:40 PM7/13/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 3:25:05 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> Does this remind you of another record?

That was a common practice in the '50s, so whatcha gonna do?

Dean F.

Jul 13, 2021, 5:11:11 PM7/13/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 12:01:21 PM UTC-4, Jim Colegrove wrote:

> Just watched her in the "Summer of Soul" documentary. She and her
> group did a terrific show IMO.

I saw it in a theater in Hartford, CT. During Stevie Wonder's segment, I got up and danced in the aisle!

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 14, 2021, 2:40:41 PM7/14/21
Hundreds of rare coins from the Iron Age have been uncovered by archaeologists working on the HS2 route.

One excavator described the hoard of small coins, which were found in Hillingdon, west London, and date back to the first century BC, as a “once-in-a-lifetime find”.

Under British law, the find could be recognised as “treasure” and acquired by a museum.

Bearing the side profile of Greek god Apollo on one side and a charging bull on the other, their design is based on coins struck in the French city of Marseille more than 2,000 years ago.

Excavation teams made the discovery after a storm disturbed the ground where they were buried.

Emma Tetlow, the historic environment lead for HS2’s main contractors Skanska, Costain and Strabag, described the moment the team uncovered the small coins, known as “potins”.

“We were coming to the end of our archaeological work on the site when we found a patch of soil that was a very different colour from what it would be expected to be,” she said.

“The patch of soil was dark greeny-blue, which suggests oxidised metal, and when we checked more closely, we could see loosely packed metal discs.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime find and allows us to expand our knowledge of what life could have been like in Hillingdon many centuries ago.”

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/YSOzdAXtUbEXaw_oJYlHTQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTEyNDI7aD0yMTMxLjkzNzAwNzg3NDAxNTg-/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/oHCjceISzU6VEEE6ImZmqg--~B/aD0yODM0O3c9MTY1MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/https://media.zenfs.com/en/aol_press_association_viral_183/6f96708d3bd66d350b828eba0a63068a

DianeE

Jul 14, 2021, 2:45:31 PM7/14/21
On 7/14/2021 2:40 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Hundreds of rare coins from the Iron Age have been uncovered by archaeologists working on the HS2 route.
-----------
Just coins? No vinyl?

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 17, 2021, 4:24:30 PM7/17/21
Here's a truly amazing announcement. To celebrate Buddy's 85th birthday Duane Eddy will be hosting James Burton, Steve Cropper and Sonny West for a night of musical brilliance at the The Buddy Holly Hall of Performing Arts and Sciences on 4th Sept in Lubbock, Texas
Join them in honoring the legacy of Buddy Holly and the inspiration he is to artists around the world!

Tickets are now available: https://event.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSale.do...
An amazing event brought to us by LEPAA and The Buddy Holly Educational Foundation. Thanks to you guys for all you do for Buddy's legacy.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 17, 2021, 10:34:25 PM7/17/21
Roger, do you have this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194238758223?hash=item2d39883d4f:g:BuQAAOSwnpNg7OsP

It's over $800 already with 2 days still left in the auction.

What about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373647665080?hash=item56ff22e7b8:g:XccAAOSw9EVg7O1z

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 17, 2021, 10:36:48 PM7/17/21

Roger Ford

Jul 18, 2021, 1:24:07 AM7/18/21
No I don't have either

I nominated the Stayton for the very first Obscurities contest back in
2019 where it made it thru to Round 2

Never cared much for either Dietzel single tho both were heavily
booted back in the day

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 18, 2021, 6:04:52 PM7/18/21
Just made my Hermits CD. I fit 32 songs on an 80 minute disc.

I'm Into Something Good
Show Me Girl
Can't You Hear My Heartbeat
Silhouettes
Walking With My Angel
Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter
I Gotta Dream On
Wonderful World
I'm Henry VIII, I Am
The End of The World
Just A Little Bit Better
Sea Cruise
Heartbeat
A Must To Avoid
Hold On!
You Won't Be Leaving
Listen People
Leaning On A Lamp Post
This Door Swings Both Ways
Dandy
My Reservation's Been Confirmed
East West
Where Were You When I Needed You
There's A Kind of Hush
No Milk Today
Don't Go Out Into The Rain
Moonshine Man
Museum
I Can Take Or Leave Your Loving
Sleepy Joe
Sunshine Girl
Years May Come, Years May Go

Roger, let me know if you want a copy!

By the way, their second biggest hit in the UK (after "I'm Into Something Good") was a bad record called "My Sentimental Friend" from 1969. It did not make the cut here.

DianeE

Jul 19, 2021, 8:54:04 AM7/19/21
On 7/18/2021 6:04 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Just made my Hermits CD. I fit 32 songs on an 80 minute disc.

> Don't Go Out Into The Rain
--------
This is one of the worst records I've ever heard. Back then it was
"Quick! Change the station!" Right up there with "Cindy's Birthday" by
Johnny Crawford. Horrible record.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Jul 19, 2021, 9:18:24 AM7/19/21
You need to take a little time from washing the damn fruit and buy that boy some new speakers, baby!!!

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 19, 2021, 9:28:03 AM7/19/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 8:54:04 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
How about the original version of the song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RaMXqOVs9M

md

Jul 19, 2021, 9:44:38 AM7/19/21
On Jul 18, 2021 at 5:04:51 PM CDT, "Sav...@aol.com" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

> Just made my Hermits CD. I fit 32 songs on an 80 minute disc.

Your whiteness is showing.

--md

remove "xx" from address

Roger Ford

Jul 19, 2021, 9:47:12 AM7/19/21
On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 15:04:51 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Just made my Hermits CD. I fit 32 songs on an 80 minute disc.
>
>Roger, let me know if you want a copy!

My heart is already pounding dangerously at the thought of the
powerful Freddie & The Dreamers set that will no doubt follow this one

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 19, 2021, 9:49:03 AM7/19/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 9:44:38 AM UTC-4, md wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2021 at 5:04:51 PM CDT, "Sav...@aol.com" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Just made my Hermits CD. I fit 32 songs on an 80 minute disc.
> Your whiteness is showing.

Yes, it creeps in from time to time.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 19, 2021, 9:50:12 AM7/19/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 9:47:12 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 15:04:51 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >Just made my Hermits CD. I fit 32 songs on an 80 minute disc.
> >
> >Roger, let me know if you want a copy!
> >
> My heart is already pounding dangerously at the thought of the
> powerful Freddie & The Dreamers set that will no doubt follow this one

No, there's not enough acceptable Freddie for 80 minutes.

But before the Hermits I did Paul Revere & the Raiders and the Turtles.

Roger Ford

Jul 19, 2021, 10:02:48 AM7/19/21
On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 06:50:11 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 9:47:12 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 15:04:51 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
>> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Just made my Hermits CD. I fit 32 songs on an 80 minute disc.
>> >
>> >Roger, let me know if you want a copy!
>> >
>> My heart is already pounding dangerously at the thought of the
>> powerful Freddie & The Dreamers set that will no doubt follow this one
>
>No, there's not enough acceptable Freddie for 80 minutes.
>
>But before the Hermits I did Paul Revere & the Raiders and the Turtles.

Apart from the very early "Like Long Hair" I can't say I ever liked
anything by Revere & co but I always liked "Happy Together" and
"Elenore" from The Turtles

DianeE

Jul 19, 2021, 10:05:41 AM7/19/21
------------
It's better than the Hermits, but it's still pretty bad. BTW you told
me on the phone it was a girl group, but it's really a guy with a high
voice named Kenny Young (at least that's what the poster says). Maybe
Dennis is right and you need new speakers.

Roger Ford

Jul 19, 2021, 10:22:16 AM7/19/21
The Seagulls were Kenny Young,Kenny Sonn and June Winter. "Don't Go
Out Into The Rain" was the first of three singles by them on Date
label---the last one was a version of Dave Davies' (of The Kinks) UK
hit "Death Of A Clown"

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 19, 2021, 10:24:05 AM7/19/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 10:02:48 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 06:50:11 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
> <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 9:47:12 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:

> >> My heart is already pounding dangerously at the thought of the
> >> powerful Freddie & The Dreamers set that will no doubt follow this one
> >
> >No, there's not enough acceptable Freddie for 80 minutes.
> >
> >But before the Hermits I did Paul Revere & the Raiders and the Turtles.
> Apart from the very early "Like Long Hair" I can't say I ever liked
> anything by Revere & co

"Like Long Hair" is not even good IMO, but I used it since it was their first hit.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 19, 2021, 10:24:57 AM7/19/21
I was thinking of another record, definitely a guy.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 19, 2021, 10:34:06 AM7/19/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 10:02:48 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:

> Apart from the very early "Like Long Hair" I can't say I ever liked
> anything by Revere & co

Not even this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1kwje9iyE

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2021, 2:12:46 AM7/20/21
I just knocked out another CD. And this one is from an act that started making records in 1963, so it's not even off topic. Another one of Roger's favorite acts from his homeland. He really likes their versions of American records.

THE SEARCHERS!

They have a load of very short songs, so I've got 34 songs on an 80 minute CD, and I actually could have fit one more song if it was under 2:30, which most of their early songs were.

Here's the 34 songs I used:

Twist And Shout
Sweets For My Sweet
It's All Been A Dream
Sugar And Spice
Learning The Game
Ain't Gonna Kiss You
Where Have All The Flowers Gone
Listen To Me
Some Other Guy
Oh My Lover
Love Potion Number Nine
Ain't That Just Like Me
Needles And Pins
Saturday Night out
Hungry For Love
Don't Throw Your Love Away
Someday We're Gonna Love Again
When You Walk In The Room
Hi-Heel Sneakers
Glad All Over
What Have They Done To The Rain
This Feeling Inside
I Count The Tears
It's In Her Kiss
Everything You Do
Bumble Bee
He's Got No Love
So Far Away
Each Time
When I Get Home
Take Me For What I'm Worth
Everybody Come And Clap Your Hands
Have You Ever Loved Somebody
Western Union

I did not know before tonight that they did the Perkins "Glad All Over" or also that they covered "Western Union," the Five Americans hit in 1967. Their "Twist And Shout" might have been released before the Beatles version, not sure about that.

Dean F.

Jul 20, 2021, 2:42:01 AM7/20/21
On Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 2:12:46 AM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> Here's the 34 songs I used:

The most songs I ever got on to a CD was 35. Unsurprisingly, it was a collection of rockers from the '50s.

Roger Ford

Jul 20, 2021, 4:59:42 AM7/20/21
On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 23:12:44 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>I just knocked out another CD. And this one is from an act that started making records in 1963, so it's not even off topic. Another one of Roger's favorite acts from his homeland. He really likes their versions of American records.
>
>THE SEARCHERS!

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn!!

>I did not know before tonight that they did the Perkins "Glad All Over" or also that they covered "Western Union," the Five Americans hit in 1967. Their "Twist And Shout" might have been released before the Beatles version, not sure about that.

The Searchers' "Twist And Shout" was on their first LP released in UK
July 1963. Not sure when it was recorded but I'd think safe to say
AFTER The Beatles recorded theirs

In the "Twist And Shout" versions saga I count The Top Notes (1961
original),The Isley Brothers (best ever version!),Chubby Checker,Dee
Dee Sharp and The Majors all recording the song before The Beatles
(February 1963).

DianeE

Jul 20, 2021, 6:31:31 AM7/20/21
> ----------
I imagine you could get 36 Ramones records on a CD.

Dean F.

Jul 20, 2021, 6:41:51 PM7/20/21
On Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 6:31:31 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:

> I imagine you could get 36 Ramones records on a CD.

I once made an iTunes playlist of Bruce's list at Digital Dream Door of the 100 greatest short rock songs. It was less than two hours long!

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2021, 6:46:32 PM7/20/21
LOL, So they averaged less than 1:12 apiece.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2021, 7:26:36 PM7/20/21
Just finished a new CD. This time Jan & Dean. Again I fit 32 songs.

Jennie Lee
Baby Talk
There's A Girl
Gee
Heart And Soul
Wanted, One Girl
A Sunday Kind of Love
Tennessee
Linda
Surf City
Honolulu Lulu
Drag City
Little Deuce Coupe
Dead Man's Curve
The New Girl In School
The Little Old Lady From Pasadena
Ride The Wild Surf
The Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review And Timing Association
Sidewalk Surfin'
Tell 'em I'm Surfin'
Surfin' Wild
Move Out Little Mustang
One Piece Topless Bathing Suit
(Here They Come) From All Over The World
You Really Know How To Hurt A Guy
I Found A Girl
A Beginning From An End
Batman
Popsicle
Freeway Flyer
Summertime
Yellow Balloon

Some of those early chart records are really brutal, like "Gas Money" and "Clementine" and "We Go Together."

Dennis C from Tennessee

Jul 20, 2021, 7:40:19 PM7/20/21
They were hideous.

"Tennessss" is an embarassment!!

Dean F.

Jul 20, 2021, 9:36:22 PM7/20/21
On Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 7:26:36 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> Some of those early chart records are really brutal, like "Gas Money" and "Clementine" and "We Go Together."

We're in full agreement here.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2021, 11:16:07 PM7/20/21
Just banged out another CD.

THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL

Fit 31 songs on this one. Two by John Sebastian solo.

Do You Believe In Magic
On The Road Again
You Didn't Have To Be So Nice
My Gal
Night Owl Blues
Younger Girl
Wild About My Lovin'
Don't Bank On It Baby
Almost Grown
Good Time Music
Daydream
Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?
Didn't Want To Have To Do It
Summer In The City
Rain On The Roof
Pow
Nashville Cats
Full Measure
Jug Band Music
Darling Be Home Soon
Darlin' Companion
Six O'Clock
You're A Big Boy Now
Girl, Beautiful Girl (Barbara's Theme)
She Is Still A Mystery
Money
Never Going Back
Younger Generation
She's A Lady
Me About You
Welcome Back

For some reason the songs on this EP were not released in the US, I think just in France and England, until decades later.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/the_lovin_spoonful/almost_grown/

I used 3 of the 4, omitting "Searchin" which was a weak Coasters remake.

Also "On The Road Again" (flip of "Do You Believe In Magic") is the Memphis Jug Band song, except the Spoonful did not use the lines "A big black Nigger in my folding bed" and "Never Seen a little Nigger move so fast" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wlfEQVROQA

Excellent version by Nas and Jack Black a few years ago, with those lines included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhHYac_-NA

Roger Ford

Jul 21, 2021, 5:07:12 AM7/21/21
On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 16:26:35 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Just finished a new CD. This time Jan & Dean. Again I fit 32 songs.
>
>Heart And Soul

This was the first ever Jan & Dean recording I remember hearing---for
the simple reason that tho their earlier hits appeared here they
didn't get much (if any) airplay (and that includes "Jennie Lee")

As an aside I remember hearing a very well known US vocal group
collector proclaim to someone in his store that he much preferred
J&D's "Heart And Soul" to The Cleftones version which he didn't care
for that much.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 11:21:37 AM7/21/21

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 1:38:01 PM7/21/21
Just knocked out a Shirelles CD. Surprised that I hadn't done them yet. They had more reasonably good songs that I thought. There were several more acceptable things that I could have use if I needed to to get to 80 minutes.

I Met Him On A Sunday
My Love Is A Charm
Slop Time
I Got The Message
Stop Me
Dedicated To The One I Love
Doin' The Ronde
Tonight's The Night
The Dance Is Over
Tomorrow
Boys
Mama Said
Blue Holiday
I Don't Want To Cry
A Thing of The Past
What A Sweet Thing That Was
Big John
Baby It's You
Putty In Your Hands
Everybody Loves A Lover
Soldier Boy
Welcome Home Baby
Stop The Music
Foolish Little Girl
Don't Say Goodnight And Mean Goodbye
What Does A Girl Do?
Tonight You're Gonna Fall In Love
Sha La La
Thank You Baby
Maybe Tonight
Are You Still My Baby
Last Minute Miracle

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 4:23:58 PM7/21/21
By the way, currently playing in my car is my Perry Como CD. I left out some of those 40s and early 50s pieces of chit like "Wanted" and "If" and "Some Enchanted Evening."

It starts with "Deep In The Heart of Texas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO5CFJ0geQw

md

Jul 21, 2021, 4:31:05 PM7/21/21
Just goes to prove: find a wheel and it goes round and round. And round and
round. And round and round . . .

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 5:22:40 PM7/21/21
Just wrapped up a Chantels CD. 32 seems to be the number for all of these acts. Again I fit 32 songs on this one. So songs are averaging like 2:29 each.

He's Gone
The Plea
Maybe
Come My Little Baby
I've Lied (Tunemasters)
So Real
Every Night (I Pray)
Whoever You Are
I Love You So
How Could You Call It Off?
Memories (My Memories of You)
Sure of Love
Prayee
If You Try
Congratulations
I Can't Take It (There's Our Song Again)
Never Let Go
Come Softly To Me (Richard Barrett)
Goodbye To Love
I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)
Summer's Love (Richard Barrett)
All Is Forgiven (Richard Barrett)
Believe Me (My Angel)
Look In My Eyes
I'm The Girl
Well, I Told You
Eternally
There's No Forgetting You
You're Welcome To My Heart
It's Just Me
Indian Giver
I'm Gonna Win Him Back

Dean, have you ever played "It's Just Me" on the air?

Good soul record on Verve from '66.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNDj9tPaGc

DianeE

Jul 21, 2021, 5:23:42 PM7/21/21
On 7/21/2021 4:23 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> By the way, currently playing in my car is my Perry Como CD. I left out some of those 40s and early 50s pieces of chit like "Wanted" and "If" and "Some Enchanted Evening."
----------
Hey! I like "Wanted"! I remember it fondly.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 5:31:05 PM7/21/21
Figures.

DianeE

Jul 21, 2021, 6:14:47 PM7/21/21
--------
I can't stand "Ave Maria," though. Now *there's* a draggy record by a
white artist!

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 6:40:35 PM7/21/21
Working on the Mary Wells CD. Never heard of this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB3iLNwgfuU

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 6:43:38 PM7/21/21

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 7:27:41 PM7/21/21
Mary Wells is done. Left off a couple of hits that I don't like, "Laughing Boy" being one of them.

Bye Bye Baby
I Don't Want To Take A Chance
Come To Me
The One Who Really Loves You
You Beat Me To The Punch
Old Love (Let's Try It Again)
Two Lovers
Operator
What Love Has Joined Together
You Lost The Sweetest Boy
What's Easy For Two Is So Hard For One
My Guy
Oh Little Boy (What Did You Do To Me)
Once Upon A Time
What's The Matter With You Baby
When I'm Gone
Guarantee (For A Lifetime)
Whisper You Love Me Boy
I'll Be Available
Drop In The Bucket
Ain't It The Truth
Use Your Head
Never, Never Leave Me
Why Don't You Let Yourself Go
He's A Lover
Me Without You
I'm Sorry
Dear Lover
Such A Sweet Thing
Fancy Free
The Doctor

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2021, 11:33:41 PM7/21/21
Last CD for today - THE DEL-VIKINGS

Again it's 32 songs. 27 of the 32 come from 1956-1958. The Del-Vikings probably had more singles released in one year (1957) than any other Doo Wop group ever. Counting the 4 different flip sides on one record as 4 releases, and the different label releases on a couple of things, I think they had 19 singles released in 1957.

The last song (My Heart) is from 1991. A good revival thing they did on a single that year. I remember it selling well at the store, we probably moved more than 50 copies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxhtC2bFgzg

Come Go With Me
(How Can I Find) True Love
In The Still of The Night
Down In Bermuda
What Made Maggie Run
Uh Uh Baby
When I Come Home
Little Billy Boy
Whispering Bells
Don't Be A Fool
Cool Shake
Jitterbug Mary
You Say You Love Me
I'm Spinning
Sunday Kind of Love
Come Along With Me
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Hey Senorita
Heaven And Paradise
White Cliffs of Dover
Woke Up This Morning
The Voodoo Man
Baby Let Me Be
The Bells
The Big Beat
Flat Tire
How Could You
The Sun
Bring Back Your Heart
I Hear Bells (Wedding Bells)
Kiss Me
My Heart

"How Could You" is a very good ballad on the flip side of "Flat Tire." Worth hearing at the link below if you don't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m74HOzrUsFs

Jim Colegrove

Jul 22, 2021, 9:26:40 AM7/22/21
I like Moon Mullican's version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPVLWUH2kh8

DianeE

Jul 22, 2021, 10:14:50 AM7/22/21
---------
Video says it's the flip side of "Good Deal Lucille" which I love. This
one is nice!

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 22, 2021, 10:37:36 AM7/22/21
I wouldn't say I "Liked" it, but it's certainly much better than Como's yawner.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 22, 2021, 9:37:20 PM7/22/21
Just finally wrapped up my Del Shannon CD.

What an ordeal!

THE most difficult CD that I've made in terms of deciding which songs to put on it. MOST of the early flip sides and album tracks are pretty bad. There's one good album track, Del's original version of "His Latest Flame." I left off several early things that were big hits in the UK, like "Two Silhouettes" and "Swiss Maid" and "So Long Baby" and "Two Kinds of Teardrops." Did not like any of those.

Other than "Runaway" and "Little Town Flirt" I like his Amy stuff much better than the Bigtop stuff. Not a big "Hats Off To Larry" fan, although I used it. Used 2 tracks from his Hank Williams album in 1965.

"The Letter" does not seem to have been released anywhere but the Phillipines, where it was supposedly the biggest single of 1968. I checked out loads of songs including a version of the Zombies "Tell Her No" that he did in 1975. I was prepared to hate that one, but I actually liked it. Picture Dennis Yost and the Classics IV doing their take on "Tell Her No." That's what a sounds like. A midtempo pace.

The CD starts and ends with the same song, as Del redid an edited version of "Runaway" that was used as the theme song of the TV Show "Crime Story," which I loved.

Once again it was 32 songs.

Runaway
Hats Off To Larry
His Latest Flame
Hey! Little Girl
Cry Myself To Sleep
Little Town Flirt
From Me To You
That's The Way Love Is
Mary Jane
Handy Man
Do You Want To Dance
Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow The Sun)
Move It On Over
She Still Remembers Tony
Stranger In Town
Lonesome Whistle
Ramblin' Man
Break Up
Why Don't You Tell Him
I Go To Pieces
I Can't Believe My Ears
Show Me
Never Thought I Could
The Big Hurt
Under My Thumb
She Was Mine
The Letter
Sister Isabelle
Tell Her No
Out of Time
Sea of Love
Runaway (Crime Story Theme)

Roger Ford

Jul 23, 2021, 9:35:46 AM7/23/21
On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 18:37:19 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Just finally wrapped up my Del Shannon CD.=20
>
>Runaway

Easily hiis best ever record - a solid 9 for me

>Hats Off To Larry

Lacklustre followup compared to "Runaway"---it's a 7 but behind other
1961 7's "So Long Baby" (not on your CD but I really liked this one)
and "Hey Little Girl"

>His Latest Flame

Poor version that doesn't even make my 1961 faves list. Elvis nailed
this one so hard poor Del was flattened

>Little Town Flirt

His best of 1962 for me---a good "8". I liked "The Swiss Maid" and
"Cry Myself To Sleep" too (both 7's)

>From Me To You

Never liked the Beatles song in any form. Wasn't this the first ever
L/Mc song ever to make the US chart?

Not much I liked in 1963---"Sue's Gotta Be Mine" gets a 7

>Mary Jane
>Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow The Sun)

Two really good ones from 1964

>The Big Hurt

Always liked this better in the Toni Fisher original

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 23, 2021, 1:54:32 PM7/23/21
My Whiteness is really in overdrive today. I just cranked out a PAT BOONE CD!

Unlike Del Shannon this was very easy to put together. It starts out with his first record, from 1953, on Republic. I had to lower my standards to do this disc. Usually the lowest rated record I would use on these CDs is a 5 (pretty good). In this case I had to use a bunch of fours (okay).

Checking out his discography I see that he released a 45 in 1964 with "Sincerely" on one side and "Don't You Just Know It" on the flip. "Sincerely" is on Youtube, it's bad. The other side is not on Youtube. I'd like to know (A) if it's the Huey Smith song or not, and if so (B) how bad he fucked up that song.

Until You Tell Me So
Two Hearts
Tennessee Saturday Night
At My Front Door (Crazy Little Mama)
Gee Whittakers!
I'll Be Home
Tutti' Frutti
Long Tall Sally
I'm In Love With You
I Almost Lost My Mind
Friendly Persuasion (Thee I Love)
Chains of Love
Don't Forbid Me
Why Baby Why
Chattanooga Shoe Shine Boy
I'm In Love Again
Love Letters In The Sand
April Love
A Wonderful Time Up There
It's Too Soon To Know
Sugar Moon
That's How Much I Love You
Gee, But It's Lonely
Good Rockin' Tonight
Walking The Floor Over You
Delia Gone
Alabam
Moody River
Big Cold Wind
Meditation (Meditacao)
Beach Girl
July, You're A Woman

If you haven't heard "Beach Girl" it's a pretty good surf record that he made with Bruce Johnston and Terry Melcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkrr-Sgt9o

Bob Roman

Jul 23, 2021, 2:35:52 PM7/23/21
On Friday, July 23, 2021 at 1:54:32 PM UTC-4, SavoyBG wrote:

> Checking out his discography I see that he released a 45 in 1964 with "Sincerely" on one side and
>"Don't You Just Know It" on the flip. "Sincerely" is on Youtube, it's bad. The other side is not on
> Youtube. I'd like to know (A) if it's the Huey Smith song or not...

According to both 45cat and discogs, it's the same song.

http://www.45cat.com/record/16641
https://www.discogs.com/Pat-Boone-Sincerely-Dont-You-Just-Know-It/release/2608169

--
BR

Dennis C from Tennessee

Jul 23, 2021, 2:38:03 PM7/23/21
Okay, "Moody River" has vainest knife, this makes me want to go at a vein with a knife!!

Hey Charlie Manson!! That's Terry Melcher right there.......sic him!!

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 23, 2021, 2:47:53 PM7/23/21
Thanks. now let's hear it.

DianeE

Jul 23, 2021, 3:10:04 PM7/23/21
On 7/23/2021 2:38 PM, Dennis C from Tennessee wrote:

> Hey Charlie Manson!! That's Terry Melcher right there.......sic him!!

----------
LOL

Actually this reminds me...if he's down to Pat Boone, can Doris Day be
far behind?

Roger Ford

Jul 23, 2021, 3:13:15 PM7/23/21
She will follow the Liberace CD I expect

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 23, 2021, 4:55:08 PM7/23/21
On Friday, July 23, 2021 at 3:13:15 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 15:10:01 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
> >On 7/23/2021 2:38 PM, Dennis C from Tennessee wrote:
> >

> >> Hey Charlie Manson!! That's Terry Melcher right there.......sic him!!
> >>
> >----------
> >LOL
> >
> >Actually this reminds me...if he's down to Pat Boone, can Doris Day be
> >far behind?
> She will follow the Liberace CD I expect

First Dennis Day.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 23, 2021, 4:57:55 PM7/23/21
Just finished the Righteous Brothers CD. Only 27 songs fit.

"I Need A Girl" is a doo wop from 1963 by Bobby Hatfield with a vocal group, and of course "Brown Eyed Woman" is Bill Medley. Sorry, Dirty Dancing schumcks, no "I've Had The Time of My Life" in these parts.

Little Latin Lupe Lu
I'm So Lonely
I Need A Girl
My Babe
Justine
Bring Your Love To Me
Georgia On My Mind
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Just Once In My Life
The Blues
See That Girl
You Are My Sunshine
You Can Have Her
White Cliffs of Dover
Unchained Melody
Hung On You
Ebb Tide
(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons
Soul And Inspiration
He
He Will Break Your Heart
Meloncholy Music Man
On This Side of Goodbye
A Man Without A Dream
Stranded In The Middle of Noplace
Brown Eyed Woman
Rock And Roll Heaven

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 23, 2021, 10:05:34 PM7/23/21
Okay, last CD for today: Questlove's Daddy!

LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS

They made a lot of records. Many good double siders. The last 4 tracks are good soul records from 1966 through 1968. A couple of them are big money Northern Soul items now.

Of course I used the earlier versions of 2 or 3 songs that they redid in the later 50s.

Maybe You'll Be There
Baby Come Back
Much Too Much
White Cliffs of Dover
The Fairest
Bells of St. Mary
Dearest
Bluebird of Happiness
Show Me The Merengue
Leona
Lonely Room
Just Suppose
It's Me
I Miss My Baby
Sipping A Cup of Coffee
Long Lonely Nights
The Clock
The Girl Around The Corner
Teardrops
Try The Impossible
Nobody's Home
Glad To Be Here
Why Do I
All I Ask Is Love
P.S. I Love You
Together Again
I'm Sorry Pillow
Quiet As It's Kept
Never The Less
I've Had It
Can't Do Without You

If you don't know "Together Again" check it out. It's a good 1960 answer record to "Teardrops."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUk0E1whrvE

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 24, 2021, 12:05:34 AM7/24/21
100 greatest African songs of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A30rPX493JA

"Pata Pata" is # 5.

DianeE

Jul 24, 2021, 1:11:09 AM7/24/21
----------
That link is to a reggae playlist, not to African music.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 24, 2021, 9:19:39 AM7/24/21

DianeE

Jul 24, 2021, 10:19:02 AM7/24/21
On 7/21/2021 11:33 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Last CD for today - THE DEL-VIKINGS
<snip>

> "How Could You" is a very good ballad on the flip side of "Flat Tire." Worth hearing at the link below if you don't know it.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m74HOzrUsFs

-------------
This video shows a few different 45's, one of which is on the "Yucca"
label.
I looked that label up in the R&B Indies book and found there were quite
a few releases on it, many by Long John Hunter and even more by Calvin
Bowles. Did not see anything by the Del-Vikings.
At Bruce's suggestion I looked in Disco-File but did not see a Yucca
release there either. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what this is?

Roger Ford

Jul 24, 2021, 12:14:06 PM7/24/21
It's definitely a boot (not sure whose or what year). I never saw a
physical copy of it but I know "How Could You" was booted on Yucca
as the flip to The Uptowns "Here She Comes Again" (from Laurie
originally relleased 1963)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMGu0xQLIk

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 24, 2021, 1:17:37 PM7/24/21
Gene Pitney is the latest act to join the Brucie CD club.

The first 4 tracks are doo wop demos from '58 or '59, that he did with a Hartford group called the Embers. They were released decades later on this Relic album:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1543709203

The 5th track is a single he made under the name Billy Bryan on the Blaze label in '59.

http://images.45cat.com/billy-bryan-going-back-to-my-love-blaze-new-york.jpg

32 songs again.

Runaway Lover
Darkness
Victory
So Tired
Going Back To My Love
(I Wanna) Love My Life Away
Louisiana Mama
Every Breath I Take
Town Without Pity
(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance
Today's Teardrops
Hello Mary Lou
Only Love Can Break A Heart
Half Heaven-Half Heartache
Mecca
True Love Never Runs Smooth
Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa
That Girl Belongs To Yesterday
Who Needs It
Yesterday's Hero
It Hurts To Be In Love
Walk
I'm Gonna Be Strong
I Must Be Seeing Things
Last Chance To Turn Around
Looking Through The Eyes of Love
Princess In Rags
Backstage
Flamingo
(In The) Cold Light of Day
She's A Heartbreaker
She Lets Her Hair Down

DianeE

Jul 24, 2021, 2:06:03 PM7/24/21
On 7/24/2021 12:14 PM, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:19:01 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
>> On 7/21/2021 11:33 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
>>> Last CD for today - THE DEL-VIKINGS
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> "How Could You" is a very good ballad on the flip side of "Flat Tire." Worth hearing at the link below if you don't know it.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m74HOzrUsFs
>>>
>> -------------
>> This video shows a few different 45's, one of which is on the "Yucca"
>> label.
>> I looked that label up in the R&B Indies book and found there were quite
>> a few releases on it, many by Long John Hunter and even more by Calvin
>> Bowles. Did not see anything by the Del-Vikings.
>> At Bruce's suggestion I looked in Disco-File but did not see a Yucca
>> release there either. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what this is?
>
> It's definitely a boot (not sure whose or what year). I never saw a
> physical copy of it but I know "How Could You" was booted on Yucca
> as the flip to The Uptowns "Here She Comes Again" (from Laurie
> originally relleased 1963)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMGu0xQLIk

--------
Thanks!

DianeE

Jul 24, 2021, 2:09:40 PM7/24/21
On 7/24/2021 12:14 PM, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 10:19:01 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
>> On 7/21/2021 11:33 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
>>> Last CD for today - THE DEL-VIKINGS
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> "How Could You" is a very good ballad on the flip side of "Flat Tire." Worth hearing at the link below if you don't know it.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m74HOzrUsFs
>>>
>> -------------
>> This video shows a few different 45's, one of which is on the "Yucca"
>> label.
>> I looked that label up in the R&B Indies book and found there were quite
>> a few releases on it, many by Long John Hunter and even more by Calvin
>> Bowles. Did not see anything by the Del-Vikings.
>> At Bruce's suggestion I looked in Disco-File but did not see a Yucca
>> release there either. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what this is?
>
> It's definitely a boot (not sure whose or what year). I never saw a
> physical copy of it but I know "How Could You" was booted on Yucca
> as the flip to The Uptowns "Here She Comes Again" (from Laurie
> originally relleased 1963)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMGu0xQLIk

---------
That link doesn't work for me but this one does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgnwtSX-KWA

Pretty good record. Doesn't seem to have the slightest relationship to
the Del-Vikings ballad and I can't imagine why someone would decide to
combine them.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 24, 2021, 5:01:46 PM7/24/21
On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 2:09:40 PM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:

> Pretty good record. Doesn't seem to have the slightest relationship to
> the Del-Vikings ballad and I can't imagine why someone would decide to
> combine them.

Because they were probably 2 hard to find songs that were in demand in whatever city the thing came from.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 25, 2021, 7:06:45 PM7/25/21
A new act has joined the Brucie CD club!

TENNESSEE ERNIE

There are 31 songs including 3 from his huge selling gospel albums.

Tennessee Border
I Got The Milk 'em In The Morning Blues
Country Junction
Smokey Mountain Boogie
Mule Train
Anticipation Blues
The Cry of The Wild Goose
The Donkey Serenade
I'll Never Be Free
Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own
The Shotgun Boogie
I Ain't A-gonna Let It Happen No More
Tailor Made Woman
Stack-O-Lee
Mister And Mississippi
Ocean of Tears
Fatback Louisiana U.S.A.
Blackberry Boogie
Tennessee Local
False Hearted Girl
I Don't Know
Catfish Boogie
Hey, Mr. Cotton Picker
Ballad of Davy Crockett
Sixteen Tons
That's All
Rock of Ages
Just A Closer Walk With Thee
Peace In The Valley
Sunday Barbecue
Little Red Rockin' Hood

Dennis C from Tennessee

Jul 25, 2021, 8:06:44 PM7/25/21
The pride of Bull's Gap, Tennessee!!

There were some amino acids in that baritone, baby!!

Dennis C from Tennessee

Jul 25, 2021, 8:11:39 PM7/25/21
Well, I fucked up!!

Archie Campbell hailed from Bull's Gap and Ernie was born in Bristol.

Always got that mixed up.

Provincial embarrassment here, baby!!

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 25, 2021, 9:42:07 PM7/25/21
Okay, Johnny Maestro joins the Brucie CD club. Crests, solo, and the Brooklyn Bridge. My favorite record by them kicks of the disc. IN a strange occurrence "Earth Angel" and "In The Still of The Night" ended up back to back in the chronological order here. Their versions of the 2 biggest doo wop ballads of all time.

My Juanita
Sweetest One
No One To Love
Wish She Was Mine
Pretty Little Angel
I Thank The Moon
16 Candles
Beside You
Six Nights A Week
I Do
The Angels Listened In
Young Love
A Year Ago Tonight
Step By Step
Gee (But I'd Give The World)
Trouble In Paradise
Always You
Isn't It Amazing
Earth Angel
I Remember (In The Still of The Night)
What A Surprise
My Happiness
Guilty
It Must Be Love
Worst That Could Happen
Blessed Is The Rain
Welcome Me Love
Your Husband-My Wife
You'll Never Walk Alone
Free As The Wind

While doing the research for the CD, I discovered that the Brooklyn Bridge had one single BEFORE "Worst That Could Happen." It's like pscyhedelic rock. Looks like they started out trying to do a more contemporary sound before they heard "Worst That Could Happen" by the 5th Dimension and decided to record that song.

Here's the first single, which did not make the CD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzpo0kYSS8U

And after their big year in 1969 they started covering rock songs. The second one below is an especially brutal version of a Prog Rock classic. Neither of these made my CD either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvc8juy4KSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWihiiVGSNA

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2021, 1:57:00 PM7/26/21
There's another new member of the Brucie CD Club this afternoon!

CONNIE FRANCIS

Again it's 32 songs. I had to leave out a few big hits that I can't tolerate, like "Mama" and "Together" and "When The Boy In Your Arms." Instead I included 3 of the sides from the 8 singles she had before "Who's Sorry Now?"

Goody Goodbye
Send For My Baby
Eighteen
You Were Only Fooling (While I Was Falling In Love)
Who's Sorry Now?
Stupid Cupid
Fallin'
I'm Beginning To See The Light
My Happiness
Frankie
Lipstick On Your Collar
Plenty Good Lovin'
Among My Souvenirs
Everybody's Somebody's Fool
My Heart Has A Mind of Its Own
Many Tears Ago
Where The Boys Are
Breakin' In A Brand New Broken Heart
Too Many Rules
(He's My) Dreamboat
Hollywood
Don't Break The Heart That Loves You
Second Hand Love
Vacation
I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter
If My Pillow Could Talk
Blue Winter
Looking For Love
Don't Ever Leave Me
Forget Domani
The Wedding Cake
The Answer (Should I Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree)

Dennis C from Tennessee

Jul 26, 2021, 2:11:06 PM7/26/21
Definitley get your ass back to the woods, honky cat!!

Roger Ford

Jul 26, 2021, 3:33:09 PM7/26/21
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:11:05 -0700 (PDT), Dennis C from Tennessee
<dennis...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 1:57:00 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
>> There's another new member of the Brucie CD Club this afternoon!
>>
>> CONNIE FRANCIS
>>
>> Again it's 32 songs. I had to leave out a few big hits that I can't tolerate, like "Mama" and "Together" and "When The Boy In Your Arms." Instead I included 3 of the sides from the 8 singles she had before "Who's Sorry Now?"

No "Robot Man"?

Definitely one of her better efforts

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2021, 4:01:54 PM7/26/21
On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 3:33:09 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:11:05 -0700 (PDT), Dennis C from Tennessee
> <dennis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 1:57:00 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> >> There's another new member of the Brucie CD Club this afternoon!
> >>
> >> CONNIE FRANCIS
> >>
> >> Again it's 32 songs. I had to leave out a few big hits that I can't tolerate, like "Mama" and "Together" and "When The Boy In Your Arms." Instead I included 3 of the sides from the 8 singles she had before "Who's Sorry Now?"
> >>
> No "Robot Man"?

Don't like the hokey background vocals and the incessant hand claps.

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2021, 4:29:32 PM7/26/21
And TONY BENNETT joins the CD club.

This one was easy. I had a friend who asked me for a Bennett CD a few years ago and luckily I saved the playlist. So I just had to change a few songs and make the order more precisely chrono and I was ready to go. 29 songs on this one.

I left out some monstrous hits that I don't like, "Because of You" and "Cold Cold Heart," along with some other 50s hits that were half novelty like "In The Middle of An Island."

The Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Solitaire
Blue Velvet
Rags To Riches
I Can't Give You Anything But Love
It Had To Be You
You Can Depend On Me
One For My Baby
Firefly
Are You Having Any Fun
Chicago
I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plan
Life Is A Song
Smile
Put On A Happy Face
The Best Is Yet To Come
I Left My Heart In San Francisco
I Wanna Be Around
I Will Live My Life For You
True Blue Lou
The Good Life
A Taste of Honey
It's A Sin To Tell A Lie
Who Can I Turn To
If I Ruled The World
Fly Me To The Moon
The Shadow of Your Smile
A Time For Love
For Once In My Life

DianeE

Jul 26, 2021, 4:37:23 PM7/26/21
What? No duets with Lady Gaga?

DianeE

Jul 26, 2021, 4:38:52 PM7/26/21
I look forward to hearing this one...well, the first half of it, anyhow.
-----------

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2021, 7:04:25 PM7/26/21
Another addition to the Brucie CD Club!

JOE & JIMMY LIGGINS

I could have done a separate one for each but I would have had to use a bunch of fives to get there. So I combined their best stuff into one disc. I did the same for the Burnette Brothers, although unlike Joe and Jimmy they actually made a bunch of records together in the Rock 'N' Roll Trio.

This one has 29 songs, although "Rhythm In The Barnyard" is the full version was was split into 2 parts on the single, so you can say it's 30 songs.

The Honeydripper (part 1)
Got A Right To Cry
Bye Bye Baby Goodbye
I Can't Stop It
Cadillac Boogie
Move Out Baby
Rough Weather Blues
The Darktown Strutter's Ball
Give Up Little Girl
Lookin' For My Baby
Nite Life Boogie
Misery Blues
Mississippi Boogie
Pink Champagne
That Song Is Gone
Rhythm In The Barnyard
Saturday Night Boogie Woogie Man
Little Joe's Boogie
Frankie Lee
Whiskey, Gin & Wine
Going Back To New Orleans
Drunk
Railroad Blues
I Ain't Drunk
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
Boogie Woogie King
Go Ahead
Knocked Out
In The Wee Wee Hours

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2021, 10:53:23 PM7/26/21
Okay, last CD for a while. I think I've done every significant act that I can without really stretching into weak records to fill up 80 minutes.

Just did THE FOUR SEASONS

I don't like them much anymore. Most of their hits only get fours and fives now with my rating system. "Rag Doll" is the best one, a 7, and also "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" is a 7. I was gonna use 2 Four Lovers things, but I had to cut 5 songs to get under 80 minutes, so those 2 went out, along with "Marlena" and "Girl Come Running" and their version of "Sunday Kind of Love." "Marlena" is only a 3 for me. Not very good.

I'd rather have Valli's 1960s solo records on there. I used 4 of them, but I hate his 70s shit like "Swearin' To God" and "My Eyes Adored You" and "Grease." And I also hate "Who Loves You," but I did use "December, 1963."

The "Cousin Brucie Go Go" theme is something they did for him in 1965. For those of you who are not from this area, Cousin Brucie (Morrow) was the 6-10 PM DJ on WABC in New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XIVMeZu_24

Sherry
Big Girls Don't Cry
Peanuts
Candy Girl
Walk Like A Man
Stay
Dawn (Go Away)
Ronnie
Alone
Rag Doll
Silence Is Golden
Save It For Me
Big Man In Town
Bye, Bye, Baby (Baby Goodbye)
Cousin Brucie Go Go
Let's Hang On
The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
Don't Think Twice
(You're Gonna) Hurt Yourself
Working My Way Back To You
Opus 17 (Don't You Worry 'Bout Me)
I've Got You Under My Skin
Tell It To The Rain
Beggin'
Can't Take My Eyes Off You
C'Mon Marianne
I Make A Fool of Myself
December 1963 (Oh What A Night)

Sav...@aol.com

Jul 27, 2021, 12:50:51 AM7/27/21

Roger Ford

Jul 27, 2021, 1:21:52 AM7/27/21
Not anymore but I've had it in the past. Never got this kind of price
for it tho :-(

Here it is on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJWzdjKG7s

Roger Ford

Jul 27, 2021, 6:55:32 AM7/27/21
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 19:53:22 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Okay, last CD for a while. I think I've done every significant act that I c=
>an without really stretching into weak records to fill up 80 minutes.
>
>Just did THE FOUR SEASONS
>
>I don't like them much anymore.

I still like them just as I did in the 60's when they were one of my
two favorite then-current white groups (before you ask---the Beach
Boys naturally!)

>Most of their hits only get fours and five now with my rating system. "Rag Doll"
> is the best one, a 7, and also "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" is a 7. I was
>gonna use 2 Four Lovers things, but I had to cut 5 songs to get under 80 minutes
>so those 2 went out, along with "Marlena" and "Girl Come Running" and their
>version of "Sunday Kind of Love." "Marlena" is only a 3 for me. Not very good.

I like "Marlena" and it's on my 1963 list along with "Soon (I'll Be
Home Again)" another B-Side I like that isn't listed on your post

There are better versions of "A Sunday Kind Of Love" out there of
course but I like the Seasons version (originally issued only on a UK
LP IIRC)

>I'd rather have Valli's 1960s solo records on there. I used 4 of them, but
> I hate his 70s shit like "Swearin' To God" and "My Eyes Adored You" and
>Grease." And I also hate "Who Loves You," but I did use "December, 1963."

Disagree completely on "Who Loves You" that I like a lot and of course
I like "December 1963" that ended up as their biggest ever UK hit

I like most of the others listed with just a few exceptions---for
instance....

>Stay

I don't like their version at all----especially when its included at
the expense of the much better IMO "Since I Don't Have You"

>Don't Think Twice

This is horrid in keeping with all their stuff released as "The Wonder
Who?" (or more accurately "The Wonder WHY?)

>(You're Gonna) Hurt Yourself

Its not too bad---but I like "The Proud One" better

>I've Got You Under My Skin

Very good interpretation tho Sinatra remains my favorite version
ever.I'd like to hear their "Begin The Beguine" that supposedly was
done at the same session
It is loading more messages.